From Clicker to Keybinder

AGSThomas

I've played MMOs for a long time and have always clicked. I was never into PvP. I personally really like the PvP in this game and I would like to try and be better at it. Presently I have no problems killing people because I use the right mouse button to turn, and presently see the game in sort of peripheral vision where I can see both the characters on the screen and the hot bar.

However, this poses a dilemma for me. I have clicked for so long that its ingrained in the way I play. I have an idea to start a new character with only binds to get used to it. But I was wondering if there were any tips or pitfalls to avoid from other converts. This seems like a big undertaking, to forsake my instinct to click and to be able to learn 30 some odd keybinds. Are there different left hand set ups? are all abilities necessary for keybinding?

Also how do you move? With WASD and mouse turning or with both mouse buttons?

And What would be the easiest class to re roll with to learn on. (obviously not marauder)

jeez and I thought learning the guitar was tough..

Edited by AGSThomas

I've played MMOs for a long time and have always clicked. I was never into PvP. I personally really like the PvP in this game and I would like to try and be better at it. Presently I have no problems killing people because I use the right mouse button to turn, and presently see the game in sort of peripheral vision where I can see both the characters on the screen and the hot bar.

However, this poses a dilemma for me. I have clicked for so long that its ingrained in the way I play. I have an idea to start a new character with only binds to get used to it. But I was wondering if there were any tips or pitfalls to avoid from other converts. This seems like a big undertaking, to forsake my instinct to click and to be able to learn 30 some odd keybinds. Are there different left hand set ups? are all abilities necessary for keybinding?

jeez and I thought learning the guitar was tough..

If you have guitar fingers, you should have no problem.

I always have me left hand on 1 - 4. So, I made use of:

alt + 1 - 4

F1 - F4

F5 - F8

Right there you have 16 quickslots to work with. :)

Good luck!

because the 90 page thread on "Clickers" wasn't enough for you, you had to start your own thread on clicking?

Reading comprehsion 101. I'm not debating clicking vs keybinding which is what that thread is all about. I'm looking for some tips to convert, and possibly some hand positions to try (more than 1 in case one isnt comfortable)

I put my most used skills closer to the left hand. So 1-6 is reserved for the prime skills. I have one button bar for the keys, T, G, Z, X, F, V with Y, H, J for the lesser use but important skills like damage reduction (I don't use C, B, or I because I have been using those for so long for Char sheet and inventory, that I don't bother to switch them). I also use Alt + 1, Alt + 2, and Alt + 3 regularly, and for some classes, that's still not enough.

Movement keys are the typical, wasd + qe + r for autorun.

Edited by Qoojo

I personally don't like to mess around with alt or control keys, so I just use 1-4, QWE, ASD. This gives me 10 keys to work with, which is enough for my basics. Things I don't use very often get put on - and = . The rest I click.

It is pretty hard to change your habits. You'll be fumbling for the right key at first. I recommend trying it out on the dailies, rather than in flashpoints or warzones, until you get used to it.

Honestly, google it. You will find lots of helpful tips with pics that demonstrate the keybinding method. With suggestions for how to set your keys up and where to place certain actions.

That's what I did. Researched it to no end to try and find what worked for me. After mastering it on my keyboard, I moved over the to the G13 and never looked back. :)

because the 90 page thread on "Clickers" wasn't enough for you, you had to start your own thread on clicking?

Just go lay down somewhere if you're going to be a... what do you call those things...

Summer's...

meh, I forget...

I personally don't like to mess around with alt or control keys, so I just use 1-4, QWE, ASD. This gives me 10 keys to work with, which is enough for my basics. Things I don't use very often get put on - and = . The rest I click.

It is pretty hard to change your habits. You'll be fumbling for the right key at first. I recommend trying it out on the dailies, rather than in flashpoints or warzones, until you get used to it.

I can't tell you how many times I alt + Tab'd out of the game right in the heat of battle... it took some getting used to, but I'm pretty set now. :)

Just remember, it takes time and practice to get familiar and then comfortable with it. But it is definitely worth it.

obviously I dont want to start to learn keybinding on my Marauder. Does anyone know what an easy class is that doesnt use a crazy amount of abilities in the heat of battle for me to practice leveling with?

obviously I dont want to start to learn keybinding on my Marauder. Does anyone know what an easy class is that doesnt use a crazy amount of abilities in the heat of battle for me to practice leveling with?

If you start a new character, any class, and use the keys, you will get use to it. Then you might start doing like I do and use similar keys for similar skills. Like my V key is for interrupts on the classes that have one. H is for damage reduction skill for the classes that have it. T is for taunt on the tanks. etc...

I run pretty much every game the same way -

ESDF + Mouse for movement. The raised nub on the F key helps while learning to keybind in case you lose your place on the keyboard. S left strafe, F right strafe, E forward, D back (on rare occasions when its advantageous to move back)

1-5

Q, W, R, T

A, G

Z, C, V, B. People do bind X but I find it a pain to hit it consistently.

That is 15 keys. I have two buttons on my mouse as modifiers, SHFT and ALT.

This gives me access to 45 different commands all without having to move my fingers more then 1 or so keys away.

Everyone different, but this helped me a ton.

I don't use WASD to move, all left on my keyboard are the two straif buttons. everything my left hand uses is combat related, stuff like the character sheet or the inventory are not important to be accessable fast (so I open them with shift+c or shift+b). Buffs and the like that I rarely use in combat are bound to ALT and then a key. Q, A, and Y are used for stuff that I cannot use while moving (straif left is W and straif right is R).

Buy yourself a Razer Nostromo. I was never a clicker, I've always used keybindings, but I decided to finally splurge. Now that I'm using the Nostromo, I'd never go back to just a keyboard.

Short of that, play a Juggernaught. I think that's the mirror to the Guardian. Limited number of abilities and even less that you'll use on a regular basis.

Funnily enough when I started an alt sith warrior, I found myself using more key binds (albeit the default ones).

With a sith assassin tank, the only keybind (again the default one) I use is the interupt (keyed at the 8, which is a far stretch from WSAD).

I'm up for using the shift button though.

is tab targeting the only way to get on the right mob?

What about the switch between healing and dps?

tab, tab, ctrl tab, ctrl tab, tab tab tab,.....ugh

Using keybinds should solve this I believe, as instead you'd use your mouse to target them I think. I'd need a keybinder to confirm though.

Any class will be alright to start out with. I would actually say try a new sentinel or marauder if that's what you play. I have a level 50 Sentinel so I went with a Juggernaut. As you level the new toon, you will get new commands and expand. So you will find that you are trying to hit keys on your high level Marauder so with him if you just match up the keybindings.

If you really want an easy class choose Sage or Sorc. Definitely an easy class to learn your keybinds on.

Using keybinds should solve this I believe, as instead you'd use your mouse to target them I think. I'd need a keybinder to confirm though.

Because Tabbing only cycles through targets, it's best to click on the target you want. Works better for a keybinder than clicker though as it slows down a clicker.