Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Are you kidding with Skadge?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Are you kidding with Skadge?

psandak
05.17.2014 , 11:02 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by PaxSithari View Post
Now that they have purchaseable companions that can fulfill tank/healer, and a questable DPS companion, maybe it's time to revisit companion deaths. There should be significant gating to go with it - something like "you must have Treek AND HK available on This Particular Toon in order to kill off X", and/or a costly Bounty Contract (millions of credits, or veeeery expensive in the CM). Even include a huge walkthrough or explanation that there ain't no comin' back. That way only those that are serious, and know the consequences, will do it, and you don't get "aw crap, I killed my healer/ crafting monkey!?!?" whining.

I also completely agree with OP. Skadge a.k.a. Mr. Pudding, really has no place tagging along. Almost all other companions have a believable reason, even ones like Ashara whose reasons make NO sense. But Skadge, the jerkwad who messes up a contract and bullies himself onto my ship, doesn't get a flamethrower to his pudding face???
I agree that this issue should be revisited for the reasons you've specified, but why do the companions have to die. Yes, in some instances in the stories as they exist killing the companion is the only option. But there are some options like skadge where you could simply leave the companion behind (saying something to the effect of, "nuh uh, you ain't joinin' my crew!!! TFB A-hole!"); they still exist so you could go back and get them if you wanted. And that would involve a new quest line.

Even ones where killing the companion is the only logical method this could work:

- you shoot skadge in the head, leaving him for dead. But oh no you want him back. You go to Belsavis and find that someone found him still breathing (brain dead) and has him on life support. You learn that a criminal scientist has experimental technology and procedures to replace a humanoid brain (he was convicted of multiple murder when he performed humanoid trials and failed every time). So you have to track him/her down and get him/her to perform the surgery on Skadge. And OMG it works

Spoiler

The list goes on. The point is that killing companions is not necessarily an end all.
The Ortzid Legacy on The Harbinger
Car'beerd (Guardian) Dalkery (Scoundrel) Blairnah (Sage) Daellia (Merc) and 11 other characters
Understanding Crew Skills / High End Schematics / Best Crew Skills / Crew Skill Money Making / Reverse Engineering Rules / SWTOR Story to date

Phyreblade
05.19.2014 , 10:31 PM | #22
Skadge kind of makes sense, if you think it would be worth it to have a huge, stupid brute of a friggin' character on your crew. Everyone needs one, if only to intimidate the truly stupid-er people you bump into so often. Plus he's big enough you can get him to haul all your bounties around after you capture or kill them -- a chore that Gault in particular would be glad to give up.

But he has to learn his place. The only thing he understands is brute force, remember. So the devs should've written in some epic "bust up your jaw so you know I'm stronger than you, always" beat-down between the hunter and Skadge before he made it onto the ship. I wouldn't care how stupidly he plays at being all scary and threatening afterwards, so long as he really did know he's not the toughest of the tough in my hunter's world.

That's my own humble consideration on the subject, though.
"Why can't things be easy? Just once!"
-- Gaibriel Duncan, Sawbones Scoundrel
Phyreblade, Co-Leader Covenant of the Phoenix

eldefail
05.20.2014 , 10:19 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Phyreblade View Post
Skadge kind of makes sense, if you think it would be worth it to have a huge, stupid brute of a friggin' character on your crew. Everyone needs one, if only to intimidate the truly stupid-er people you bump into so often. Plus he's big enough you can get him to haul all your bounties around after you capture or kill them -- a chore that Gault in particular would be glad to give up.

But he has to learn his place. The only thing he understands is brute force, remember. So the devs should've written in some epic "bust up your jaw so you know I'm stronger than you, always" beat-down between the hunter and Skadge before he made it onto the ship. I wouldn't care how stupidly he plays at being all scary and threatening afterwards, so long as he really did know he's not the toughest of the tough in my hunter's world.

That's my own humble consideration on the subject, though.
I like the idea of beating Skadge into submission lol. This kind of approach could really work for all those companions that by all rights ought to have been killed instead.

Spoiler

SW_display_name
05.20.2014 , 11:13 AM | #24
True.

More malicious options vs. Companions rather than trying to force all of them to feel like your "buddy" (which just makes your character seem emotionally-unstable / fake / insane) would be tolerable, like other Class Story / game-plot decisions you're sort-of nudged into by necessity of where the devs want the plot to go.

A side-a-logue to put Skadge firmly in his place (either through violence or noble grit), to smack Ashara into understanding her place as a Jedi flunk-out sleeping on benches in the Sith world, etc. would do a lot to make certain Companions feel less-ludicrous to certain character / alignment designs.

Karkais
05.20.2014 , 11:35 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Jandi View Post
That's because the people playing the beta were too stupid to be left with the option to kill companions. They killed them off then whined that the decision was final. I mean... WHAT THE **** PEOPLE?
While I find this hilarious, there should be the option to get replacement healer/tank companions if necessary. Maybe some sorta generic replacement companions (droids?) that could be given to any archetype that decides to execute person X from their crew. Come to think of it, elegant way to solve this problem would be to make the ship droid easily modifiable for any role.

There are some companions that I really did want to kill off during the storyline.

Quote: Originally Posted by Phyreblade View Post
I agree, my BH likes having Skadge around.
"What is a Sith? Over time, the beliefs have changed, but one constant has remained. The imposition of one's will on the force, on the environment surrounding one, on the galaxy itself." - Darth Wyyrlok III

Preston_Violent
05.22.2014 , 07:26 PM | #26
Never understood this hate for Skadge.... his twisted and harsh sense of humor (along with him being basically the SWTOR version of Wrex / Grunt from Mass Effect) is just awesome! Some of his unique lines and comments (my fave is how comments your dark side choice at the end of the class story on Voss) did make me rofl
Just like the way he joins your crew totally fits his character and just like someone like him does belong in a BH team. Unlike some (somewhat) boring ones, such as Rusk or Pierce or Iresso who for some unknown reason, upon successfully completing a mission with a jedi or sith and thus being more than eligible for getting promoted, they decide to give up everything, starting with their military career which just got a nice boost, and join you...

scarlet_magpie
05.23.2014 , 07:14 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Damask_Rose View Post
If you dress Skadge right he is your comic relief.
You should see him in a cute little vest, no pants and cybernetic boots, then listen to his smartmouthing. Titteriffic

Aeneas_Falco
09.22.2015 , 08:18 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by PaxSithari View Post
Now that they have purchaseable companions that can fulfill tank/healer, and a questable DPS companion, maybe it's time to revisit companion deaths. There should be significant gating to go with it - something like "you must have Treek AND HK available on This Particular Toon in order to kill off X", and/or a costly Bounty Contract (millions of credits, or veeeery expensive in the CM). Even include a huge walkthrough or explanation that there ain't no comin' back. That way only those that are serious, and know the consequences, will do it, and you don't get "aw crap, I killed my healer/ crafting monkey!?!?" whining.

I also completely agree with OP. Skadge a.k.a. Mr. Pudding, really has no place tagging along. Almost all other companions have a believable reason, even ones like Ashara whose reasons make NO sense. But Skadge, the jerkwad who messes up a contract and bullies himself onto my ship, doesn't get a flamethrower to his pudding face???
I think the way to have gone about it would be to have your ship's robot be able to be customized to serve as a decent tank, healer, or DPS in a pinch. Not world-beating, but sufficient backup in any role.

That way the ship's droid could be used as a gameplay replacement for the players who kill off their core companions, without necessarily needing to purchase Treek or hunt down HK.

Elemutation
09.22.2015 , 10:06 PM | #29
Skadge is one of my favorite companions on my BH, mainly because, up until Belsavis, the BH was a cool, calculated tech-genius, using gadgets and cunning to get around, and really only fought when he was at a bounty, the opponent wouldn't back down, or they REALLY annoyed him. But when he met Skadge, all of those cunning plans were interrupted with his brute methods of smashing whatever pissed him off, leaving the dialogue full of sighs, awkward silences, and the cliche, "well, that'll work..." I think the problem with Skadge is that he's meant to be a foil to the more calculated companions like Mako and Gault, but due to his late entry, it just feels like a wasted opportunity.

Another hated companion that I really don't get is Broonmark, and while I do agree, he is a little misplaced, I found the likes of Pierce and Andronikus to be much more pointless. Broonmark is a kindred spirit with the Wrath, both exiled from their "clans," only to return with powerful allies and exact their revenge. Pierce joined because... why? We already have a member of the imperial military, and Pierce didn't really do much to impress me personally. Andronikus also joined temporarily to hunt down his betrayer, and while I get that, it seems as though he joined Nox's crew because he had nothing better to do but to get drunk. I also just personally like Broonmark because the Talz are pretty awesome, and my Wrath is brothers with my Nox, so I have this mental scenario of Wrath walking up to Nox and Khem with Broonmark going, "Look who's got a monster now! And mine can turn invisible. Ha."

Aeneas_Falco
09.22.2015 , 11:42 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Elemutation View Post
Skadge is one of my favorite companions on my BH, mainly because, up until Belsavis, the BH was a cool, calculated tech-genius, using gadgets and cunning to get around, and really only fought when he was at a bounty, the opponent wouldn't back down, or they REALLY annoyed him. But when he met Skadge, all of those cunning plans were interrupted with his brute methods of smashing whatever pissed him off, leaving the dialogue full of sighs, awkward silences, and the cliche, "well, that'll work..." I think the problem with Skadge is that he's meant to be a foil to the more calculated companions like Mako and Gault, but due to his late entry, it just feels like a wasted opportunity.

"
I haven't completed Skadge's content yet but so far I like him as well. He is a total scumbag, a moron, and a brutal thug, and obviously isn't likeable at all...but that's part of what makes him an entertaining character.

Also Skadge not being the sharpest tool in the shed occasionally makes for some entertaining dialogue, as there are options for your Bounty Hunter to mock him without him realizing it.