Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer to enjoy the game as it is for now. If there should be same gender romances at any point I will worry about that then. If it means I can't li... *cough* *cough* be very nice to my best friend I can live with it, as long as there are options. :cool:

Holding back when enjoying a video game because you might miss something in future or it might require more work seems pointless to me. I would enjoy lesbian romances, but there are many aspects of the game I enjoy and that's why I play it; not for something that may happen but for what is. If it wasn't so I wouldn't be asking for same gender romances in first place, I simply would not play the game.

I came up with the solution of 'level, but never speak to same gender Companions'. So once they show up on my ship I never welcome them..........that seems a bit assinine of me in retrospect >.>
I've tried that. I've always failed. For some reason I always end up talking to them.

PM'd Uluain's list of questions to Ms. Berryman because... >.> well, I don't have a reason anymore except to be annoying and remind Bioware that they've not answered anything with regards to this topic (except for an insubstantial 'maybe' and Mr. Hood and Mr. Amantegelo's 'not sure, but maybe').

PM'd Uluain's list of questions to Ms. Berryman because... >.> well, I don't have a reason anymore except to be annoying and remind Bioware that they've not answered anything with regards to this topic (except for an insubstantial 'maybe' and Mr. Hood and Mr. Amantegelo's 'not sure, but maybe').

"We don't wanna go down to the Writing Department and ask, they have cooties."

I think they'd like to tell us, if they were allowed. I just worry that when they can, they'll focus on peripheral issues like when, and ignore core questions like who and how. If they have been reading and thinking about what we say here, then the dilemma of those not knowing how to approach playing characters with potentially romance-worthy same sex companions would be old news.

But since none of the leaks or updates or announcements have addressed this – beyond compounding the uncertainty by refusing to divulge which companions will be available – I am really not sure this has been thought about in terms of how it affects the players concerned, right now, in the present state of limbo between promise and fulfilment.

I think that needs to be looked at very, very carefully. Whether one is wise or foolish to wait or to just forge on ahead, this dilemma has sent players packing until it can be resolved at the very least by clarifying how this will be implemented in regards to companions already levelled and with their stories already explored.

Not knowing is in this regards far worse than simply not having the content yet. I don't want to go back through all the posts on this subject and counting people who left on account of this, but I know MusedMoose is one, because his departure was especially disheartening, and ought to have been a warning-bell to anyone studio-side who has followed this thread.

Edited by Uluain

I've tried that. I've always failed. For some reason I always end up talking to them.

It's really hard not to. Not talking to them makes no sense. Their stories evolve with your character's story, so it sucks putting them on hold indefinitely. I thought I could just ignore them and keep playing, but it doesn't cut it.

So my Trooper is halted now. Like my Agent. Like my Jugg. Didn't even bother creating my planned Assassin. I know I'll start asking myself the same questions that this thread have asked hundred of times before and been blatantly ignored that many times. After all this time, making up excuses for them it just an exhausting and ungratifying endeavour. They make really hard not to use this thread just to vent frustration and disappointment. Yes, that's what I'm doing :mad:

It's really hard not to. Not talking to them makes no sense. Their stories evolve with your character's story, so it sucks putting them on hold indefinitely. I thought I could just ignore them and keep playing, but it doesn't cut it.

So my Trooper is halted now. Like my Agent. Like my Jugg. Didn't even bother creating my planned Assassin. I know I'll start asking myself the same questions that this thread have asked hundred of times before and been blatantly ignored that many times. After all this time, making up excuses for them it just an exhausting and ungratifying endeavour. They make really hard not to use this thread just to vent frustration and disappointment. Yes, that's what I'm doing :mad:

It not only doesn't make sense, I've found it affects the dialogue. Not in dramatic ways, not in "OMG I can't go this route unless I talk to {random}!" ways, just snarky little comments. Vette stands out heavily, as do a few others. Some (Corso and Jorgen...I think) you can't even tell though, which I found odd. :confused:

Well I guess extensive use of spacebar is an option, except what's the point of even playing if I can't pay attention to the sole (sort of) unique element to SWTOR...the story?

That is the bad thing about it.

I am still trying this on my JK (successfully so far) however I've already finished all conversations with the companions in question (Kira) on another JK so it's easier to resist. Kira's conversations are a bit odd to begin with as a certain event has to happen in Ch. 1 to unlock them. I probably have a backlog of about 5 of them waiting because of that so I figured I might as well go all the way with it and wait it out (her approval is already near 5000...she really likes my JK apparently).

Could I do this with a companion with which I haven't experienced their full storyline? Probably not :p

I agree it will be odd to have all the conversations happen at the end vs. having them flow with the story. I guess I can pretend they really happen at different times in the story timeline from when experienced...or pretend some of them are a flashback my character is having to a conversation that happened earlier...idk.

...and of course there's no guarantee the companion will "make sense" to be available :confused:

I actually do not mind levelling - in fact, I enjoy it. So once I had re-rolled my smuggler a couple of time anyway, I just went ahead and progressed the story with Corso. If they implement it right, then I ought not to have missed anything. But in that case, those who have waited to level are going to be (justifiably) ticked off, because we have been discussing this "how do we play to assure we have a shot at the romance when it is implemented?" thing since January.

Or I may need to reroll. Or I may need to be at level 50 to unlock the content. Who knows? Someone, surely. It would be nice if they were allowed to tell us.

Massively: At the end of the presentation, Schubert was asked whether the SWTOR model was sustainable, given the amount of "incubation time" required for systems and quests to launch. Jokingly he replied, "Gosh, I hope so." In other words, he believes that it is. However, in a follow-up question, he was asked what the team is doing to help maximize the life cycle of the current content. His answer surprised me, but not in a good way:

Schubert: "We have not focused on making our content replayable. We have taken a lot of heroic quests -- particularly the group quests -- and made all those replayable. What we have spent the most time on since launch is beefing up the Legacy system, which is designed to get you to play the other really good content. We will probably continue beefing that up because it's our best stuff."

Sorry the story department seem to have been working on legacy the entire time since launch, this is distressing.

For something Like Makeb, level caps, Cathar, I'm pretty sure it's going to be led up by a lot of articles, press, videos, and advertised as a mini-expansion. It won't just appear on a patch note announcement. All the things we're getting in 1.5, and probably the next couple of patches were all things announced to be coming this year from a leak that surfaced before 1.2 was released.

I don't think the legacy system has anything to do with story content, just with giving you an edge when you repeat content. I mean it's not like it changes anything about the story that my Jedi Knight is the daughter of an Imperial Agent and member of a species that is uncommon on the republic side. She just has a few more buffs, can theoretically trigger a few additional abilities in heroic moments and could buy the ability to ride a speeder at level 10.

Personally I find the prices for legacy unlocks exaggerated. The things that might be interesting easily cost 1,500,000. I have a level 31 legacy on The Progenitor and only once unlocked the character perk I mentioned above. All other unlocks I have were for reaching game goals. If you're good at crafting - and not a synthweaver without access to resources to craft augments (I can sell a purple Advanced Resolve Augment level 50 for 90k, but I have to spend 80 k for slicing components), focusing primarily on customizable gear that simply looks good, I wouldn't know how to do it any better.

A legacy is nice to have, but - well, it's very likely a few of my rl friends will come to play when it gets free to play, which will force me to move to a German language server. But I certainly won't bother transferring my legacy, even if that is an option. (The characters are less important because I'd want to level up with them anyway.) What bugs me most of it is that I am kind of a fan of Jennifer Hale.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

So, 1.5 is now on the PTS. No mention of SGRs in the patch notes, but then it's not the Makeb patch either by the looks of it.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=542699

Edit: Damn it, Ayslinn_Iduviel types faster than me *grins*

So, basically, more dailies, a new WB, and no more big butt robes.

Well, they are making Campaign gear easier to get now, so I guess that could foreshadow a nice lvl increase/armor lvl increase in the near future...maybe Makeb for 1.6.

There will also probably be more changes that aren't listed there (like, class balancing stuff).

Edited by stuffystuffs

Ancient Hypergates, Belsavis and HK-51 has been pretty much expected to be the follow-up to Terror From Beyond. But this is lining up to drop around Nov. 1, which still puts the next 6-week slot in December, which ought to be Makeb. How F2P rolls out with all this, who knows. But remember we were told we'd be seeing the group content (Operations, warzones, etc.) coming before story content (Makeb, SGRs).

I actually see this as a good sign that we are in fact on track to see SGRs this year.

So, 1.5 is now on the PTS. No mention of SGRs in the patch notes, but then it's not the Makeb patch either by the looks of it.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=542699

Edit: Damn it, Ayslinn_Iduviel types faster than me *grins*

... What's the over-under on the December patch just being bug-fixes and some Chr.."Life Day" Event? Oh wait, I forgot. They're suddenly going to pull their fingers out for the F2P crowd update-wise. As opposed to all the other times they said the same thing...

Still waiting on any answers here - and my growing disatisfaction tells me we'll get one, in March. Mostly regarding the semantics of "this year" and how that pertains to said year being on the time-scale of Neptune.

Still waiting on any answers here - and my growing disatisfaction tells me we'll get one, in March. Mostly regarding the semantics of "this year" and how that pertains to said year being on the time-scale of Neptune.

They won't use an orbit relevant to an existing planet...

With 1.5 being HK-51, it's likely we'll then see 1.6 as Free2Play (or perhaps 1.7, if 1.6 is a planetary event ala Rakghouls) and SGRA's could be a Christmas present. In my stocking I'll find male slave gear and a copious amount of body chocolate.

The Sith Warrior gets bondage gear.

What's in you Christmas stocking? :p

No, I think Makeb will drop as close as they can manage to the 1 year anniversary of launch. And I think we will see SGRs then - Hall Hood came as close as he was able to confirming Gabe Amatangelo's association of SGRs with Makeb. But just as we only learned for a fact (what I have been predicting for weeks) that Ancient Hypergates/Belsavis/HK-51 are all rolling out with 1.5 only now that they have gone onto the PTS, I doubt we'll hear much if anything until Makeb hits the PTS with "gays in space".

It's just how they seem to handle information. I wish they handled it differently. I think in some ways, as far as they could within the bounds of non-disclosure, they have handled this information differently, even cutting us as much slack as they could. Stephen Reid said flat out at the time that it was extremely unusual to announce a future feature so far in advance. That was a crap-shoot, and I think intended to acknowlege that yeah, release wise we were getting a raw deal without quite apologizing. In March, we got a ballpark figure – one it looks as though they will be able to honor. Very little since, but we were warned there would be very little until they were much.

I would very much like to hear more, and will continue to outline what I think are the salient issues to be clarified in this thread. But more importantly, I do want this content in-game and damn the naysayers. I really do believe it will happen. They could easily have closed my thread in General Discussion focussing on the Makeb leak. They didn't. They wanted the Makeb leak to be noticed. I think that's intentional. It has to be.

It is quite saddening that they're having to use these under-handed and rather insubstantial tactics to "confirm" the existence of SGRA's. I imagine it's a combined problem of players expecting the world and infallible truths from a complicated and problematic system (and I freely admit I do fall into the category, I am a terrible person after all) and money-handling suits becoming afraid that any associated negativity could hurt their pockets.

I'm putting Makeb as being as late as 2.0 for a number of reasons: it's a large content patch (or at least we hope it to be); Bioware are going to want to get the PvP updates out first (i.e. their next tier of gear and new maps); Free2Play is likely to drop before Makeb so that Bioware can have something to wave in front of non-paying players and get them to pay extra; also it's going to be buggy as sin and will need quite a while sitting on the PTS before it drops live (if we assume that they actually take note of what players report on the PTS, we have very few examples to back that up).

I'll be honest, I don't even feel like sending another annoying message to Ms. Berryman with the latest contents of this thread. I think they've chosen to stop reading when they realised we're still hashing out the same god damn topics because they are unable (though I still question to the will) to give us anything new.

I think the most disappointing thing about Bioware's communications (or lack thereof, as it is) is that there is no indication, not even the slightest hint, that anyone actually reads the forums. Not even on their lunch break. It's depressing to think that the teams are so slaved to their desks that they can't even take a minute to go "Hey, here's my Jedi Knight :D" in the screenshot threads. Or perhaps the vitriol of General Discussion has dissuaded them. Can't say I'd be surprised.

F2p has been leaked for November, I think they will release Mekeb right after (maybe on December) just to give people a reason to keep paying the game; but really if this silence it's just a tactic to avoid some sort of conservative opposition to SGR, releasing it on Xmas doesn't looks like a great idea to me

Just had a thought occur to me (it's a rainy day and I'm not working = boredom), so I played about using the Community Search with different combinations of the words in the thread's title.

None bring up any incarnation of this thread, just all the mini-ones that got locked down for straying outside the ghetto. Perhaps I'm jaded by their displayed attitude towards it, but I'm having trouble seeing that as mere happenstance.

Edited by Palar