Are people burned out on STOR or MMOs?

Jornas

This is just my observation and opinion - and I'm not trying to attack players who are not having fun in the game. I also recognize there are some much needed patches and improvements in certain areas.

However, I do think part of the problem is people are blaming SWTOR when in reality they're done with MMOs. In my extended circle of guildmates and gaming friends, the people who are the most upset with SWTOR are the ones who play every new MMO at launch, or who spent several years as hardcore raiders in WOW. The ones who are having a lot of fun either took a long break from MMOs or played them casually enough to not get burned out.

There's nothing wrong with being burned out on a genre - I won't touch a modern or WW II shooter because I'm just done with that type of game. I am enjoying SWTOR a lot because I took a year break from playing MMOs after the first few months of Cataclysm.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Edited by Jornas

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MMO's for me. Having played UO, EQ, EQ2, WoW, SWG, etc., I've become really jaded. I'm still waiting for the MMO that breaks the mold and does everything differently, again. UO was the only one so far in the list that did things a bit differently. Skill based advancement rather than leveling, nearly full player-run economy, etc.

As a computer scientist and a current masters candidate in CS, I've been working up a thesis on MMO design, psychology etc. I'm more interested in the social and economic aspects though and how we simulate that or reproduce real-life performance in a video game and through code.

That said, SWTOR still isn't it. It's fun enough but at the end of the day it's not much more than a rehash of existing MMO best-practices and subscription retention ideas.

What will be THAT next MMO that will cause people's jaws to drop and lead them away from other MMO's and onto the next generation? Still working on the answer to that :D

Im burned out on wow clones - not MMO's.

This game does NOTHING new aside from covering standard boring quests in voiceover. Thats done at 50. At 50 you're just playing wow with less smooth combat, less balance, dumb systems, no content.

At least we got some hope in gw2 - they're doing alot of things differently.

nope,

i m here the same , i m a real causual player but the problem is swtor dosent make fun at all, especally i love pvp because u dont have to spend so much time as a casual to get sucess there and dont need to raid all night.

but here the pvp sucks so bad.....

You're probably right, the same people who complained about Blizzard destroying wow were probably saying TOR was gonna be the wow killer. Now that they're sick of this game, they're going to start hyping GW 2 or some other MMORPG. Then they'll be back to complaining about those games as well, and the cycle continues...

Im burned out on wow clones - not MMO's.

This game does NOTHING new aside from covering standard boring quests in voiceover. Thats done at 50. At 50 you're just playing wow with less smooth combat, less balance, dumb systems, no content.

GW2 will have similar things from the original GW, and again will use many features that WoW improved on.

They have certain things that gives GW2 a huge potential, but MMO companys always try to hype their game.

if you think GW2 is the saviour you're wrong

GW2 will have similar things from the original GW, and again will use many features that WoW improved on.

They have certain things that gives GW2 a huge potential, but MMO companys always try to hype their game.

if you think GW2 is the saviour you're wrong

I am looking forward to GW2. Mostly just to see how they are going to do the things they say they're trying to do. It does look interesting and I am holding out some hope for something a bit different then what seems to become standard. I hope they can pull it off to some extent at least.

I don't think I will be disappointed one way or another but that's because as you say companies always 'hype' and I don't approach any game as being potentially some sort of 'saviour.'

I'd much rather have something blow me away by not having super high expectations in the first place. Maybe that's one of the reasons I'm having a good enough time with this game. Didn't expect some sort of blow every other game out of the water experience, in the first place.

"they're doing a lot of things differently" IS becoming a tired phrase applied to each emerging MMO as a form of hope by the hopeless IMO. Then people get there, play, race through content without exploring at all, and start ranting about it being the samo samo.

OP, here is the very problem, IMO. Some people ARE burned out on MMOs. After more then a dozen years that sort of makes sense, particularly for the hardcore (ie: heavy raiding, heavy PvP, heavy min/max) players. They are unwilling to explore and more importantly invest themselves in a new MMO property because they say they want a new type of MMO, but they are still wearing MMO blinders.

They expect a new MMO to bail them out of their self-induced rut. No MMO is going to bail you out. Ruts are caused by mindlessly doing the same things over and over again. It's actually a form of game induced insanity in some ways, and while there are players that avoid this and enjoy MMOs for what they offer, many do not.

You have to actually change your goals, objectives, methods and approach to new MMOs if you want them to help you help yourself. This is something people are lazy about doing themselves, so they expect a new MMO to come out and spoon feed them to change. Not going to happen. SWTOR is a great paradigm breaking game platform and as you can see, people are intractably in their ruts and won't respond. They would rather just bash and knash the actually take their time and explore the many things the game has to offer. They say they want change, but really they don't. They want a new instant gratifying candy bar, but it must be a candy bar (even though they say they are tired of candy bars and want something different).

There is another phenomena that emerged as well. FPS and single player MMO games on game consoles. These created a whole new generation of instant gratification, feed by the spoon players. These players do not accomadate well to the intricate opportunities of a large MMO. These games have also sucked in a lot of the bored MMO player base (evidenced by the very numerous posts in many forums along the lines of "playing this until something else comes along"). You can see this a lot in the forum here right now by comments that very clearly show a dissatisfied player who clearly "beat the game" and now has nothing to do. They treated an MMO like a single player console game, and then complained that it's not an MMO. It's so ironic really.

Anyway, nobody can make anyone love (or hate) a game (though many people on MMO forums try really hard sometimes. People must do this for themselves. Nobody can make anybody change. So other then exploring the pheonema (like you are doing with this thead) to better understand what is taking place, nothing can be done other then enjoy a game for yourself, for what you make out of it. Until people step back and change their perspective and approach on their own, nothing will change for them. Some, frankly, should just walk away and never come back to MMOs as there is nothing there for them in their current mindset. The world community of MMOs would be better off if they did, and they would be better off as well.

nope,

i m here the same , i m a real causual player but the problem is swtor dosent make fun at all, especally i love pvp because u dont have to spend so much time as a casual to get sucess there and dont need to raid all night.

but here the pvp sucks so bad.....

So a non PvP centric MMO does not offer a player who is primarily PvP centric (casual, or not, and I personally have never seen a "casual" PvP player ;) ) a PvP centric experience.

Hmmm. Sounds like you choose to play a game that does not meet your narrow expectations (ie: it must have good PvP from day one, and bag the rest of the game features). Honestly, I feel you made a mistake purchasing the game to begin with. PvP takes a lot of time to develop and mature in an essentially PvE centered game. Sometimes it never develops well at al. People like you should wait a year before playing a new MMO, UNLESS it is deliberately PvP centric to begin with. However, being casual, you would get eaten alive in a PvP centric MMO.

/2cents

• 2 months later...

just noticed it the last couple of days. Ya, kinda feeling a bit on the burned out side. It just feels like there isn't much left to do. I got my full columi on my gunslinger in like a week, maybe little more. Now, I have all these commedations, and other stuff, just sitting around, and I have nothing to use them for. So ya, I guess i'm in the, i want this game to be fun, but I feel like there's really not much more to do stage. It kind of sucks, alot.

The whole, waiting for the 1.2 patch is really starting to get frustrating, I wish they would just stop putting it on hold and just make it live. At the moment, I don't know.. it all just feels so dull.

I have been playing MMORPG's since 1997, started with Ultima online. Played that for 7 years straight, no month breaks. Then moved too FFXI, played that for a year with again, no month lone breaks or anything. Then played wow from 2005-2011 and then moved here. Note that I never have nor will I ever take breaks from MMORPG's, nor will I ever play more then one at a time.

That being said, I can say that I log in once or twice a day to put stuff on the GTN, and send out companions. I have no desire to play my alts or do anything really in the game. I guess you could say I may be tired of the theme park feel of that form of MMORPG. With that in mind, I will give this game until probably 2-3 months after patch 1.2 hits and if it gets to where I am now then I will probably quit.

Personally, I'm quite burned out on MMO's in general. This first-gen themepark MMO template is getting horribly stale.

What the genre needs is an innovative, ground breaking MMO unlike anything people have seen so far.

Same here, and the only one im seeing with some innovation is The secret world... Being made by Funcom make me very doubtful about the quality of the release, I personnaly liked the AOC 's combat, I found them entertaining because of the innovation, but caster being the old way made me quit. I liked the physics too, like when you swing your sword you hit everything within your sword's reach, Im very bored of the old way : targeting and using specific ability on a single target. I saw some footage from TSW and the dude was shooting shootgun in the melee and was hiting every mob in front of him.

My feelings about SWTOR at the moment, is that its more fantasy(look at the gear from 1.2) than sci-fi, and its not mature enough. Lightsaber just feels like every other melee weapons in other game, they just make cool sound.

I feel like Dev just keep serving us the same old cold meal that Im so disgusted of.

The way people play MMOs now is very different than they used to play MMOs.

Up until WoW, you made your own fun in an MMO. I could log into FFXI and just talk to my Linkshell while waiting an hour to be the first in line for a shop to open, and I was having fun; you could just stand around in EQ and RP and you were having fun.

Now, the game is responsible for giving you things to do that are fun. Today's MMO players don't entertain themselves in the virtual world, they want to be entertained. With MMOs getting easier, people are consuming the content faster than it can be developed.

Think of it like this: console games now can take four+ years to develop, but under 40 hours to beat. An MMO is expected to hold your attention for 3+ hours per day, 21+ hours per week, 84+ hours per month, every month, forever. And they have to be polished, with multiple types of content (not just deathmatches), balanced around multiple classes and roles, and everything has to be fun, or people get bored.

IMO, the problem with MMOs is that they have gone mass-market., and it's not sustainable. Looking at SWTOR, people are getting bored. Fast. People are bored with Wow, which hasn't seen new content in forever. People get bored with all of them, because the developers can't get content out fast enough.

The way people play MMOs now is very different than they used to play MMOs.

Up until WoW, you made your own fun in an MMO. I could log into FFXI and just talk to my Linkshell while waiting an hour to be the first in line for a shop to open, and I was having fun; you could just stand around in EQ and RP and you were having fun.

Now, the game is responsible for giving you things to do that are fun. Today's MMO players don't entertain themselves in the virtual world, they want to be entertained. With MMOs getting easier, people are consuming the content faster than it can be developed.

Think of it like this: console games now can take four+ years to develop, but under 40 hours to beat. An MMO is expected to hold your attention for 3+ hours per day, 21+ hours per week, 84+ hours per month, every month, forever. And they have to be polished, with multiple types of content (not just deathmatches), balanced around multiple classes and roles, and everything has to be fun, or people get bored.

IMO, the problem with MMOs is that they have gone mass-market., and it's not sustainable. Looking at SWTOR, people are getting bored. Fast. People are bored with Wow, which hasn't seen new content in forever. People get bored with all of them, because the developers can't get content out fast enough.

Goes a bit both ways, MMOs should give you some generic stuff to have fun with... even if its fishing.

SWG as example, as ugly as it was, had exploration (areas are too small in TOR for that and the content is too polished to be able to afford more), crafting that was never the same twice and required hunting down ingredients on diff. planets + housing and all that came with it + a more messy faction pvp...

here I was expecting at least something like in the good old WOW times, with raids attacking world locations... but nada, the lvl 50 champ guards make it tough, and the servers are too empty and people to spread out anyway. No sense of community.

I've heard of some world pvp raids, but it maybe happens once in a full server and that's it.

Edited by Strangefate

May i present something that may or may not change the world, but it will certainly break the mold. I have been following this since 2006, i am excited for it.

http://www.infinity-universe.com/

I recommend watching this

http://www.infinity-universe.com/Infinity/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=113&Itemid=93

lol a game that has been in "development" for 6 years and has no signs whatsoever of going in beta let alone releasing.... and the last newsfeed was 8 months ago.... that "game" is pretty much vaporware, I wouldn't ever expect it to release.

Edited by iResist

lol a game that has been in "development" for 6 years and has no signs whatsoever of going in beta let alone releasing.... and the last newsfeed was 8 months ago.... that game is pretty much vaporware, I wouldn't ever expect it to release.

If you actually read the forums, you would see he is developing the engine first, so he can sell it for other devs to use. Then he should have something more concrete by 2013, its only 1 guy working on it.

I have faith

Edited by Bennis

If you actually read the forums, you would see he is developing the engine first, so he can sell it for other devs to use. Then he should have something more concrete by 2013, its only 1 guy working on it.

I have faith

Any game that has "is this game vaporware" in the FAQ is vaporware. If things were going so well, a big publisher would have swooped in and funded them by now.

I'm not holding my breath.

I have faith

That's a bunch of "if's" and "when's", I'll stick to my original statement "i wouldn't ever expect it to release".

no, there is literally no substinance to this games end-game therefore anyone who power-grind to 50 and finish everything once will indeed be done with the game.

1.2 = 1.0

Although the WZ are decent enough right now, PVE and OPvP are critically lacking...

Also critically lacking Guilds and GUI.

Storymode doesn't equal MMO by itself.

Edited by WLpride