Reasons why you prefer either Republic or Empire.

Path-x

I can only play what I have in me.

This means that I can't play "evil". I just can't. My "inner core" would be rebelling, to put it in an rather spiritual way.

But - I can play an independent Bounty Hunter ...

That's why I'm playing to 99,99 % Republic.

Besides, this thread is real proof for me that imperial faction favouritism really exists ... So few Republic players here ...

I can't bring myself to play Renegade in Mass Effect for the life of me, but I have a share of Dark Side characters (all my Republic chars are Light Side, though) in this game. *shrug*

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a light-side Warrior. His reasoning is; in the Empire, Force sensitives either become Sith, or die. Once at the Academy, you either graduate, become an Apprentice, or die.

Once he graduated, and became Baras apprentice, he played the game whenever Baras was watching. He kinda preferred breathing to the alternative. When not around Baras, he did as he pleased, including undermine Baras if given the opportunity. Killing Baras' agents and other apprentices was perfectly justified, in his mind, as they are pretty much as dark as he is, or are helping him gain power.

When Baras wasn't watching, he acted entirely different. "Yes, Master, I will destroy your enemies and bathe in their blood" became "I will pretend to do something about Baras' enemies while actually allying with them and plotting Baras ultimate demise". Always rationalizing to Baras how allowing them to live was better than killing them. Fortunately Baras is quite gullible in his arrogance. I talked the talk of the true dark-obsessed Sith, but walked the walk of a light path Sith who knows how ridiculous the Sith and their Dark side BS is..

As for the Jedi, He saw enough arrogant, corrupt and hypocritical Jedi to know they weren't the answer. They were just as bad in some ways. At least the Sith didn't pretend to be the good guys with the people's best interest at heart.

The Jedi claimed to be independent of the Republic command, but it is lies... the Jedi constantly sacrifice young members of their order for the best interests of powerful and corrupt politicians in the Republic. they constantly allow dozens, hundred, thousands of innocents die to preserve a few powerful patrons of the Order.

Like any political organization, religion, guild or union.. it is not about the people, or about the betterment of the individuals... all can be sacrificed for the good of the organization... the Jedi only exist to perpetuate the Jedi and the Republic, not to help anyone, although if anyone is helped by the Jedi's quest for self preservation and gathering power and influence to the Council, that's good too.

Of course, the justification is 'what is good for the Republic and the Jedi is good for everyone...' but then, the Empire feels the same way. And, on our own world, so did the Nazis, Soviets, Khymer Rouge etc.... What is good for the Fatherland/Mother Russia/the Party is what is best for Germans/Russians/whoever...

For some reason I always have to have all my characters in all of my games represent myself with both looks and personality. A lot of people would argue saying that its boring to go that route but I cant ever do different. That being said, I'd have to side with the Republic for a lot of views already written in this thread. Sith are reckless and kill their own fellow empire just to prove their worth to proceed in rank. I find it humorous for my SW to choose kill destroy in conversations, but I don't find it satisfying. Doing the right thing is satisfying even in a fictional world. So again, it comes down to your own tastes and preferences.:rak_03:

I'd LOVE to be no faction at all - at least on BH and Smuggler.

Except for that I guess I liked the more "mind myself" attitude of empire characters. This whole... do gooder thing... and then not even respecting and embracing romance and love... *sigh*

If I COULD chose faction and character freely. I'd be:

Freelance Cyborg Bountyhunter with no faction alignment and giving a rats arse about light/dark choices. I'd get myself a newer ship... maybe one of these.

I'd buy myself a couple of ... interesting and entertaining ... 'crewmembers' from tatooine or other more 'liberal' places. Some twilek girls. Some chiss babes. Maybe even a couple of sith-pureblood twin girls... you know... the simple, bare neccessities... *sings* And some more droids for crafting and paying for all that... and for serving drinks and meals and the cleanup.

Hunting like only a bountyhunter can, fornicating like a rabbit on crack listening to barry manilow, spending credits like a bankster...

Edited by chillshock

I root for the underdog, so most of my main toons are Republic (ironic that they're the underdogs in this game, I know). It is rough to be a dedicated Pub player though, PvP or otherwise.