Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Stasie's Galactic Starfighter Guide (Ships, Components, Crew, Tips)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Stasie's Galactic Starfighter Guide (Ships, Components, Crew, Tips)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

tunewalker
03.31.2014 , 12:53 AM | #91
Quote: Originally Posted by Gavin_Kelvar View Post
Just an observation but if Dulfy is right both Type 3s only hull damaging missile options have 100% armor penetration standard (protons and thermites). So while they might not have blasters that pierce armor they still have armor piercing weapons.
yes this is true, but I never count protons as they ahve 100% shield peircing as well so it doesnt matter what type of shield you get. Missiles are easier to dodge. When i said that I meant spammable armor pen

TrinityLyre
03.31.2014 , 05:08 PM | #92
Quote: Originally Posted by tunewalker View Post
Ok stasie posted my eccentric Pike build for you .
Thanks Tune! I updated the Strike Fighter section with your build. I also reworked a bit of the General Information section to give people an idea of how I see/rationalize the upgrade process. Hopefully this helps answer questions like "what should I buy with my requisition?" I could have gone into more detail but I feel it's very subjective and most selections could be defended.

I can build on this guide even further if I get specific requests. The goal here is to make it easy for players to stop in and get information they need without having to search deep into the forums or ask fifteen or more people.
Anastasie / Phytia The Bastion
Respected and Despised & Insert Guild Name Here
Check out my Galactic Starfighter Compendium and contribute!

Kuciwalker
03.31.2014 , 05:24 PM | #93
Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post
So we have:
Self + Friendly buff evasion 15%
Target debuff accuracy by 25%
Self + Friendly buff accuracy 20%
Target debuff evasion by 20%

These all look VERY similar in total budget. You are correct that running interference is generally the best, of course, but it is more than countered by other copilot abilities.
Running Interference is only the "best" in the current, imperfect meta. It is only weakly recommended in the Nash because if you take it with 100% then the enemy can get a permanent advantage over you by taking the accuracy buff instead. It's only useful because 1) there are a lot of non-rational players right now and 2) there are offensive buffs that are competitive in value with the accuracy buff.

Quote:
The weakest copilot ability is Lingering Effect, with Hydro Spanner right behind. Once you get out of that land, everything has SOME role, though several are weaker than ideal.
Disagree re: hydrospanner. A low-end estimate for the value of hydrospanner is +260 base HP, which is pretty significant.

Kuciwalker
03.31.2014 , 05:33 PM | #94
My complaint about the balance of the accuracy/evasion abilities is that the single-target ones are range 5000m, which seriously devalues them. The best use of these abilities is against gunships, and they are most needed when you are at the 10-15km range. Once you've closed to within 5000m it's much easier to dodge the railgun.

tunewalker
03.31.2014 , 06:35 PM | #95
Quote: Originally Posted by TrinityLyre View Post
Thanks Tune! I updated the Strike Fighter section with your build. I also reworked a bit of the General Information section to give people an idea of how I see/rationalize the upgrade process. Hopefully this helps answer questions like "what should I buy with my requisition?" I could have gone into more detail but I feel it's very subjective and most selections could be defended.

I can build on this guide even further if I get specific requests. The goal here is to make it easy for players to stop in and get information they need without having to search deep into the forums or ask fifteen or more people.
Speaking of some of some of this. Was reading through some of your other builds. And I wanted to say the rampart build might be better with the Wingman co-pilot ability rather then RI for a couple reasons.

1. You are stacking so much DR that evasion isnt going to make that much of a difference at low levels.

2. there are a lot of people using RI this is a counter for it when you are using the Ramparts lasers.

3. Its still an area buff and as again stated the number of people using RI is kind of high I think doing this to help the team counter RI would be better for it then RI as again the evasion on the bomber is so low the extra buff wont do as much for it.

(Also I think Nulify needs to be buffed to lasting as long as RI then it would be good for builds like the Rampart or the Pike build I listed, but in its current state I think no one will use it.)

Gavin_Kelvar
03.31.2014 , 07:21 PM | #96
yes this is true, but I never count protons as they ahve 100% shield peircing as well so it doesnt matter what type of shield you get. Missiles are easier to dodge. When i said that I meant spammable armor pen
fair enough. It just seemed worth mentioning considering that missile evasion abilities are going to get a nerf in 2.7 (I think) so having to tank missile shots might become a more regular occurrence. (Which to be fair charged plating will be good at so long as the missile doesn't have armor penetration).

tunewalker
03.31.2014 , 08:29 PM | #97
Quote: Originally Posted by Gavin_Kelvar View Post
fair enough. It just seemed worth mentioning considering that missile evasion abilities are going to get a nerf in 2.7 (I think) so having to tank missile shots might become a more regular occurrence. (Which to be fair charged plating will be good at so long as the missile doesn't have armor penetration).
Ya i understand that, it just for the sake of arguement on other shields and armor, Evasion isnt going to help out with that and most other shields dont mitigate it any better then charge plating.

The point was a "by comparison" thing, but yes those other ships can still bring you down. You are by no means invulnerable to other pilots it just makes it rougher for them in most cases.

phalczen
03.31.2014 , 09:09 PM | #98
I don't see Verain or Stasie, or anyone else really, advocating the use of the EM Pulse system or the EMP missle in any of the builds, yet it seems like they ought to be useful given the current meta game. The EMP system on a novadive or blackbolt I think ends up being not very useful, since you have to get in close to a bomber that has already dropped mines to be maximally effective, and the type 1 scout is not built to tank a lot of that damage. I used to think it helped with debuffing my opponents during dogfighting, but I like using TT a little better and mine isn't even upgraded yet. The only time it seems to be useful is when I'm already guarding a node and a bomber comes in solo to take the node from me. Even still, the pulse radius seems too short and if the bomber hasn't been too stupid they'll have mines ready to go after I blow my EMP.
The missile on the other hand, is a little more useful but does such little damage that i think I'll still switch to clusters when I get them upgraded for a bit.

What are your thoughts on using EMP-related stuff on your builds?

tunewalker
03.31.2014 , 09:32 PM | #99
Quote: Originally Posted by phalczen View Post
I don't see Verain or Stasie, or anyone else really, advocating the use of the EM Pulse system or the EMP missle in any of the builds, yet it seems like they ought to be useful given the current meta game. The EMP system on a novadive or blackbolt I think ends up being not very useful, since you have to get in close to a bomber that has already dropped mines to be maximally effective, and the type 1 scout is not built to tank a lot of that damage. I used to think it helped with debuffing my opponents during dogfighting, but I like using TT a little better and mine isn't even upgraded yet. The only time it seems to be useful is when I'm already guarding a node and a bomber comes in solo to take the node from me. Even still, the pulse radius seems too short and if the bomber hasn't been too stupid they'll have mines ready to go after I blow my EMP.
The missile on the other hand, is a little more useful but does such little damage that i think I'll still switch to clusters when I get them upgraded for a bit.

I think most dont use them because of much of the reasons you have listed. Emp pulse needs to get to close to be effective by the time their often times dead and its really only there to counter 1 build. Somethign I dont think any of us really want to do. We want to counter multiple builds.

The emp missile does to little damage and neither EMP missiles or pulse lock out enough things to truly be useful.

There was a thought presented among the Bastion that we feel would make EMP actually useful but we need to post that here stil. Will probably do so later.

TrinityLyre
04.01.2014 , 04:27 PM | #100
Quote: Originally Posted by Kuciwalker View Post
Disagree re: hydrospanner. A low-end estimate for the value of hydrospanner is +260 base HP, which is pretty significant.
It's less than a single laser shot or even half of a Cluster Missile double volley and it takes time to receive the heal, which is a problem when you consider the power of burst damage. I'd argue that doesn't feel significant at all and outside of TDM I don't even consider using it. That said, I'm sure there's uses for it and that some people prefer the minimal heal that it provides. I used it to help get more repair MVPs for Grease Monkey-Lizard, but haven't found it practical enough to use over the alternatives available.

Quote: Originally Posted by Kuciwalker View Post
My complaint about the balance of the accuracy/evasion abilities is that the single-target ones are range 5000m, which seriously devalues them. The best use of these abilities is against gunships, and they are most needed when you are at the 10-15km range. Once you've closed to within 5000m it's much easier to dodge the railgun.
I'd agree with the single-target accuracy debuff statement, though it would still affect a gunship's Burst Laser Cannons, which are a real threat at closer range. Copilot debuffs (like the aforementioned, among others) should be applicable beyond 5000m, they are fairly undesireable as-is.

Speaking of some of some of this. Was reading through some of your other builds. And I wanted to say the rampart build might be better with the Wingman co-pilot ability rather then RI for a couple reasons.
You actually bring up a good point, the evasion doesn't have much synergy when you're opting out of the defensive crew member and the armor component. I may update the build, though I think Nullify may be a better ability since we're aiming for nearly 100% DR against enemy mines and other attacks. Nullify would allow you to retain a high DR when Charged Plating is down. RI is still flat-out better, though.

I don't see Verain or Stasie, or anyone else really, advocating the use of the EM Pulse system or the EMP missle in any of the builds, yet it seems like they ought to be useful given the current meta game.
That's mostly because they feel horrifically underpowered for what (I think) they're supposed to do: counter bombers. When I get hit by an EMP on my bomber I tend to just shrug and keep playing as if nothing had happened. As a bomber, I can drop a new mine/drone to counteract a good deal of the effect or just stall for time by LOSing on the satellite/an asteroid.

The EMP system on a novadive or blackbolt I think ends up being not very useful, since you have to get in close to a bomber that has already dropped mines to be maximally effective, and the type 1 scout is not built to tank a lot of that damage.
I feel like they'd be more effective using Verain's two-tone EMP pulse suggestion (which would disable mines and drones at a much larger range) or if they simply made EMP abilities disable the enemy's ability to use secondary weapons. EMP would be great at limiting your opponent's options and I'd actually consider testing it out (though I wish they allowed multiple loadouts for the Quell/Pike and Blackbolt/NovaDive).

I used to think it helped with debuffing my opponents during dogfighting, but I like using TT a little better and mine isn't even upgraded yet.
Agreed. Armonddd mentioned in another thread that EMP is useful for following up with a Sabotage Probe. It'll net you a kill, but as he said, I also find it's less effective than simply loading on more burst damage capability. I tried running with EMP and Sabotage Probe back when EMP was first introduced and found it wasn't all that fun to play and didn't feel very rewarding. That might change if you wanted to be a debuffer for a friendly Pike/Quell, but I think I'll wait and see how the engine changes feel before commenting further there.

I don't think EMP (in either of its forms) needs more damage tacked on - it needs to have more utility, that's why you're taking it to begin with. We have enough damage options for both Systems and Secondary Weapons. It won't feel all that distinct if you just make it another missile that deals significant damage.

Though I have rolled with EMP in both the system and missile format, I opt-out of it in all my builds. I really think it needs some kind of buff (other than damage) to make it a unique and competitive choice. The change doesn't even have to be similar between the two types of EMP.
Anastasie / Phytia The Bastion
Respected and Despised & Insert Guild Name Here
Check out my Galactic Starfighter Compendium and contribute!