The RP servers could do with some policing

Marlon

I joined an RP server to play with like minded individuals, those who take the game a little more seriously in the way they play. But I now see tonnes of players with names like Mr Cuddles, Upsydaisy, minimee. I'm on an RP server, in any other MMO these names would have been changed. I can't help thinking that this needs policing.

If you want a crap name, or can't work out how to use the random name generator then please go on one of the others servers. And Bioware it's been three months these rules need to be put on this server so those of us who play on RP servers for this very reason can enjoy our game.

PS, it's not just the name thing but those without proper names generally don't play properly including running around in no clothes and just being general morons over chat.

Edited by Marlon

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This happens with every MMO with RP servers. It's too difficult to police, with too little incentive to do so.

wrong lol, hate to bring it up, but wow does it just fine, tried it on wow 16 dif. times, and each time within a day, i was forced to change my name.

Just to warn you op, you are going to get told you are some sort of server nazi for expecting people to use sensible names.

Personally I don't care what names people use, I see a lot that make me roll my eyes, but the thought of reporting them has never crossed my mind. Most of them only come to an rp server to get attention, so ignoring them is the best way to treat them in my opinion. I'm sure a lot of them do actually think their name fits an rp server though, and with such a huge galaxy who's to say there isn't a region within one planet where parents like to name their kids Pixiedust or knobgoblin?

If you can rp, you can rp they don't exist.

Edited by johnhughthom

I joined an RP server to play with like minded individuals, those who take the game a little more seriously in the way they play. But I now see tonnes of players with names like Mr Cuddles, Upsydaisy, minimee. I'm on an RP server, in any other MMO these names would have been changed. I can't help thinking that this needs policing.

If you want a crap name, or can't work out how to use the random name generator then please go on one of the others servers. And Bioware it's been three months these rules need to be put on this server so those of us who play on RP servers for this very reason can enjoy our game.

PS, it's not just the name thing but those without proper names generally don't play properly including running around in no clothes and just being general morons over chat.

It was said in another thread on this subject that names as you described above where instant indications of people that go strait to your ignore list.

And:

This happens with every MMO with RP servers. It's too difficult to police, with too little incentive to do so.

^This.

So basically put on ignore and ignore in the game. Those that have non-rp names on rp servers will find out quickly that they only have each other to interact with if everyone did this and that might be enough to get some compliance via a sort of RP community peer pressure.

I beleive it clearly states it when you pick a RP server that the naming will not be enforced. BW covered their asses with that

It says that there will be no special rules. In other words, no religious, historical, political figures, no curse words etc. etc. etc. Being "Cheezburger" does nothing against the ToS, therefore Bioware cannot do anything about it.

Edited by Guildrum

I agree that the RP servers need tighter controls. I think many of the names that I see are ridiculous, especially if I see a level 50 with a name like that. It just makes me lose a lot of faith.

I beleive it clearly states it when you pick a RP server that the naming will not be enforced. BW covered their asses with that

I'll keep reporting them regardless. I also don't think that that warning is there.

I'll keep reporting them regardless. I also don't think that that warning is there.

I am not sure if reporting what does not break the ToS is an offense, but it's honestly bad form. If someone is running around with the name...

Darth Lard Baconlover

It does nothing against the ToS, and you can give yourself a mental note, "I probably do not want to join this person's guild."

I am not sure if reporting what does not break the ToS is an offense, but it's honestly bad form. If someone is running around with the name...

Darth Lard Baconlover

It does nothing against the ToS, and you can give yourself a mental note, "I probably do not want to join this person's guild."

I agree, but I feel like I'm doing my part to "self-police" the RP servers. By reporting that these things bother me, it helps get the word to BioWare that it matters. I also make a point to say that "this name does not belong on an RP server" at the end as my reasoning for the report.

Also, I instantly ignore that person.

I agree, but I feel like I'm doing my part to "self-police" the RP servers. By reporting that these things bother me, it helps get the word to BioWare that it matters. I also make a point to say that "this name does not belong on an RP server" at the end as my reasoning for the report.

Also, I instantly ignore that person.

Okay, so at least you aren't demanding that they do it despite the ToS. I will admit though, I have felt conflicted about certain names because they are actually clever/intelligent. One was Hamilcar Barca (Barca legacy), as a history buff and a fan of the Carthagian Civilization, I couldn't bring myself to report him or his Hannibal Barca, despite them being historical figures.

Okay, so at least you aren't demanding that they do it despite the ToS. I will admit though, I have felt conflicted about certain names because they are actually clever/intelligent. One was Hamilcar Barca (Barca legacy), as a history buff and a fan of the Carthagian Civilization, I couldn't bring myself to report him or his Hannibal Barca, despite them being historical figures.

I also wouldn't report that name mostly because it's not out of the realm of RP. I report the names like "Tracer-Missile," "Imdabest," "Hanzzolo," and other names aren't even names or rip off names of Star Wars characters.

A few days ago there was a minor little spat on my server over an "inappropriate" name. Now personally I saw the name as borderline, but a few people mentioned it, quite politely, and the guy went off on one, insulting those who called them out on it and rpers in general. A few minutes later he put up as LFG message, this was in Dromund Kaas with over 100 people online. Nobody answered, this went on for over an hour, with nobody interested in grouping with him. If rpers want the servers policed, they need to do it themselves by ignoring and not grouping with people who blatantly disregard the server's purpose.

I also wouldn't report that name mostly because it's not out of the realm of RP. I report the names like "Tracer-Missile," "Imdabest," "Hanzzolo," and other names aren't even names or rip off names of Star Wars characters.

Eh, maybe Tracer-missile could be accepted as a nickname, and Imdabest technically is not against the ToS. (Much to my chagrin), but Hanzzolo would be reportable, as it is a rip-off of other Star Wars characters.

Eh, maybe Tracer-missile could be accepted as a nickname, and Imdabest technically is not against the ToS. (Much to my chagrin), but Hanzzolo would be reportable, as it is a rip-off of other Star Wars characters.

I would see Tracer-missile as totally appropriate for a trooper, I mean within the first half hour of that story you meet Gearbox, Needles, Fuse and... I forget the girls name.

A few days ago there was a minor little spat on my server over an "inappropriate" name. Now personally I saw the name as borderline, but a few people mentioned it, quite politely, and the guy went off on one, insulting those who called them out on it and rpers in general. A few minutes later he put up as LFG message, this was in Dromund Kaas with over 100 people online. Nobody answered, this went on for over an hour, with nobody interested in grouping with him. If rpers want the servers policed, they need to do it themselves by ignoring and not grouping with people who blatantly disregard the server's purpose.

I do this a lot. When I search for groups, I purposefully don't include people with ridiculous names. What was the name, by the way?

With a name of an attack that is so "controversial," I'd say it's safe to assume that our friend Tracer-Missile just thinks he's funny. Imdabest is not against the ToS, but "it doesn't belong on an RP server," which is how I report it. Hanzzolo is, in face, against the ToS, so I would report it regardless of the server I'm playing on.

To be honest, I think having no servers marked as rp servers is better than than having rp servers with absolutely no effort made to police it. If somebody gets a kick out of spoiling other peoples enjoyment of a game, they know exactly where to go.

I think the reason we have servers labelled RP is so that roleplayers know where to go to meet people with similar interests. We have more RPers on RP servers -- that doesn't mean we need to have less non-RPers.

Unless people are actively disrupting RP -- meaning making it so you can't RP-- I don't think there is anything to police. Griefing, from what I have seen, is being acted on by the moderators.

To the other poster: I disagree with reporting things that are not violations of the rules, as it reduces the time Bioware has to spend dealing with real rules-breaking. If they want to focus on reducing harassment rather than chasing up names that may or may not be RP-appropriate, I support their priorities.

Edited by Darth_Slaine

I think the reason we have servers labelled RP is so that roleplayers know where to go to meet people with similar interests. We have more RPers on RP servers -- that doesn't mean we need to have less non-RPers.

Rpers will find each other with or without tags on forum names.

To the other poster: I disagree with reporting things that are not violations of the rules, as it reduces the time Bioware has to spend dealing with real rules-breaking. If they want to focus on reducing harassment rather than chasing up names that may or may not be RP-appropriate, I support their priorities.

I'd be hard-pressed to say that I wouldn't support their priorities as well. Harassment is more important than making people change their names (as long as they're not the offensive ones). However, I pay to play on an RP server and would like that server to inherently be an RP server, not just a server with more RP people. That's the expectation that I had when selecting that server and it's the same expectation that I have retained.

I also don't do this on Mind Trick, my PvE server. I couldn't care less what people name themselves over there except for Mr. Hazzolo. He'll be getting reported.

I agree names need to be enforced on RP servers the other day on Vrook Lamarr server a guildie saw a person with the Name Bukkake. things like that are completely unacceptable but unfortunately nothing gets done about it.

Wrong. That name is entirely against the naming policy, and should be reported. Once it is reported, it will be dealt with.

Rpers will find each other with or without tags on forum names.

Yes, but having them reduces the need for 500 "Which is the RP server" threads. Even with RP labels, look how many people are still confused over "which is the best RP server." It helps coordinate players, what more is necessary?

I'm glad people agree with me, I did join the RP server because I want certain things inplace and certain rules followed. It's simple, I will ignore people with bad names but I still think BW should police these servers for the simple reason that this is what the majority of people on this server expect. There is no excuse for a bad name with a decent Random Name Generator and enough websites that will create you a jedi name.