#1 New Player Mistake: Not Selecting Advanced Class

Plo_Coon

I help new players out when I can. I figure, if I help new players enjoy the game faster, more will stay with the game and that expands the player base. A small player base seems to be the death bell for an MMO. And I like this MMO. That being said, sometimes veterans are not as nice as they should be IMHO. The Alt-F4 answer to almost any question is annoying.

So, from helping people out, you see some patterns. Mostly they fall into 'Didn't read the codex' or 'Doesn't read the map or its tool tips' or 'Just missed it". These are normal.

The noob mistake that I think is a problem is - new players come to the fleet for the first time and do not take the advanced class mission just off the elevator. I see this often....a lvl 17 guy in Hammer Station with pitiful DPS or a Jedi on Tyhon who can't beat a lvl 14 boss even though he's lvl 18. I take them back to fleet and point them at the guy. Then I ask them (politely) why they didn't take the mission. And common answers appears to be

1) Carrick station was cool and I wanted to look around, then I couldn't find it.

2) It wasn't a mandatory mission so I didn't take it.

3) How was I supposed to know it was important.

The fact that it is not mandatory, implies it is optional.This problem is compounded by the fact that they can leave Carrick station with their ship, moving on with the class missions, without an advanced class.

I think we are loosing players to this issue. Bioware should consider making the selection of advanced class - or at least talking to the guy on Carrick station - MANDATORY. Maybe you don't have to make class selection mandatory before leaving Carrick Station but I would consider it as an option. At least put a green triangle over his head and put it in the mission list.

This would help everyone....noob and veteran alike.

Edited by Plo_Coon

well for me wasnt a mistake, after my 4th toon, i created a BH and level him until 50 with out a AC,for the fun of it,and presented more challenging, and i did it again with my operative(with this one i pick AC after finish class storie), it has fun for me. but i never group with other players, because i know they wouldnt take it well

i fine do to "stupid" things if you do it alone, do it while involving others, for me thats the mistake

but like you, me and many other, we have to "educate the noobs" lol

Edited by ErosGyne

This is the number one mistake right there, and perhaps the #1 problem. I remember not clicking on the 'Bounty Board" on Carrock Station because I was a Jedi, not a bounty hunter. Four toons later I find out there's easy XP to made there, not to mention all the information on crew skills you can acquire.

So now I always tell new players to click on every quest giver they see, and to look carefully for them. You can always delete a quest later if you don't want it. :)

For me, playing Jedi Knight, there was a guy with that triangle over his head right when I walked off that elevator. He told me to talk to the Advanced Class Trainer, who also had the triangle. It was all in my Mission Log as well. I just started about two weeks ago, so maybe it's new? Edited by CaldaRaric

For me, playing Jedi Knight, there was a guy with that triangle over his head right when I walked off that elevator. He told me to talk to the Advanced Class Trainer, who also had the triangle. It was all in my Mission Log as well. I just started about two weeks ago, so maybe it's new?

No, but I'm pretty sure the triangle doesn't light up unless you're at level 10, which is the soonest you can select an AC. Some people leave the starter planet before level 10, and thus don't get the mission there. Once you've moved on, it's easy to miss it. It would be nice if we just automatically got the mission when hitting level 10.

• 2 months later...
I help new players out when I can. I figure, if I help new players enjoy the game faster, more will stay with the game and that expands the player base. A small player base seems to be the death bell for an MMO. And I like this MMO. That being said, sometimes veterans are not as nice as they should be IMHO. The Alt-F4 answer to almost any question is annoying.

So, from helping people out, you see some patterns. Mostly they fall into 'Didn't read the codex' or 'Doesn't read the map or its tool tips' or 'Just missed it". These are normal.

The noob mistake that I think is a problem is - new players come to the fleet for the first time and do not take the advanced class mission just off the elevator. I see this often....a lvl 17 guy in Hammer Station with pitiful DPS or a Jedi on Tyhon who can't beat a lvl 14 boss even though he's lvl 18. I take them back to fleet and point them at the guy. Then I ask them (politely) why they didn't take the mission. And common answers appears to be

1) Carrick station was cool and I wanted to look around, then I couldn't find it.

2) It wasn't a mandatory mission so I didn't take it.

The fact that it is not mandatory, implies it is optional.This problem is compounded by the fact that they can leave Carrick station with their ship, moving on with the class missions, without an advanced class.

I think we are loosing players to this issue. Bioware should consider making the selection of advanced class - or at least talking to the guy on Carrick station - MANDATORY. Maybe you don't have to make class selection mandatory before leaving Carrick Station but I would consider it as an option. At least put a green triangle over his head and put it in the mission list.

This would help everyone....noob and veteran alike.

You are absolutely right !

I am Jedi Knight, Level 11. But I couldn't see the Adv. Class mission in the fleet. Now I dont know What to do !

Always I am losing. Terrible situation :(

Go back there and get the mission maybe.

I went back to fleet but I couldnt find adv. class mission or adv. class trainer again :(

I am really sorry, I cant go to forward.

Edited by Kokkomo

I went back to fleet but I couldnt find adv. class mission or adv. class trainer again :(

I am really sorry, I cant go to forward.

Right, on the Fleet:

Republic Fleet = go to Tython and Ord Mantell Departures Lift (West Side) = Talk to NPC with Quest there.

Imperial Fleet = go to Korriban and Hutta Departures Lift (East Side) = Talk to NPC with Quest there.

Come back if you have problems.

Right, on the Fleet:

Republic Fleet = go to Tython and Ord Mantell Departures Lift (West Side) = Talk to NPC with Quest there.

Imperial Fleet = go to Korriban and Hutta Departures Lift (East Side) = Talk to NPC with Quest there.

Come back if you have problems.

Dear Tatile, first of all very thanks ! I went to Tython & Mantell Dep. Lift. But there is no NPC or Adv. Class Mission (Choice). Even I went to back Tython Planet ! There is no solution ! I wrote to Customer Services. I want to go back Tython PLanet Leaving in the story. I hope the problem will be solved tomorrow.

Yeah, that's the video guide you need.

Edit: Kokkomo - there are literally no quest on Carrick Space Dock (round thing) near that lift? As in - no Bounty Board with Crew Skill/Social and no set of four NPCs (two on each side) that interactable?

Edited by Tatile

Dear Tatile, first of all very thanks ! I went to Tython & Mantell Dep. Lift. But there is no NPC or Adv. Class Mission (Choice). Even I went to back Tython Planet ! There is no solution ! I wrote to Customer Services. I want to go back Tython PLanet Leaving in the story. I hope the problem will be solved tomorrow.

Hi Kokkomo.

When you traveled from Tython to Republic Fleet, did you use the planetary shuttle on Tython, or did you use your Fleet Pass? After completing the initial (in this case) Typhon class missions, if you use the Fleet Pass instead of the planetary shuttle, your class story may not progress, even though you are already on Republic Fleet.

I recently leveled a Smuggler up, my first character as a subscriber. I had leveled characters on Ord Mantell before. I knew the next stop for my character was Republic Fleet, so after I completed the class missions on Ord Mantell, I used my Legacy Fleet Pass to get to Republic Fleet, not the shuttle on Ord Mantell. My mission log continued to show, "Take shuttle to Republic Fleet" or some such wording, even though I was already on Republic Fleet. No new missions were triggered on my log.

I had to catch a shuttle from Fleet back to Ord Mantell, and then catch the planetary shuttle from Ord Mantell, to Republic Fleet. Then, my mission log showed my next mission.

Edited by Nmyownworld

For such an important I think rather than mess about with having to go to NPC mission giver, that when you reach Level 10 regardless where you are that a codex messge pops up stating your can now select your advanced class. You can then just open up the window to select which one want from there and pick up the supply pack you get and allocate your initial skill points. Surely this would be simple to implement and will avoid players missing out accidently.

I think alot of the problem is that quiet a few new players will leave the starter plenet at level 8 or 9 miss the advanced class mission giver and move on without realising.

Yeah, that's the video guide you need.

Edit: Kokkomo - there are literally no quest on Carrick Space Dock (round thing) near that lift? As in - no Bounty Board with Crew Skill/Social and no set of four NPCs (two on each side) that interactable?

Customer services solved my problem. Thanks ...

I've also seen several players running around without AC, or asking in General chat how to get it, I usually tell them to talk to Sammo Kob for smuggler, Master Nimi for Knight, Master Ostar-gal for Consular and Captain Jefris for Trooper.

those quest-givers are also on Coruscant (am going to find the Imp side ones and write them down) Sammo is near the first taxi you find, Nimi is next to a statue a bit further, Ostar-Gal is at the entrance of the senet plaza and I think that Jefris is next to the trooper class trainer (not shure about that)

So It's not just on the fleet that you can find them, I try to make it common knowlege, but usually ppl say you have to go back to the fleet.

The "number one" new player mistake is failing to learn the very fundamental basics of their class - like what stats does it benefit from the most. Seeing mid-level Juggernauts in Aim gear (default aim mods and all) makes me want to force choke people through the Internet.

The "number one" new player mistake is failing to learn the very fundamental basics of their class - like what stats does it benefit from the most. Seeing mid-level Juggernauts in Aim gear (default aim mods and all) makes me want to force choke people through the Internet.

I made that mistaken when I started. It's not as if there are tooltips to explain it (or, wasn't back then).

I made that mistaken when I started. It's not as if there are tooltips to explain it (or, wasn't back then).

The tooltips were there since the beginning of time (early Beta). At the very least, on the character sheet. You mouse over each stat and see what it gives you. Should be enough information not to use Aim or Cunning gear on a Jedi Knight.

Second, there are Codex popups with AC descriptions. Roles, main stats, combat system basics.

What else people need? An NPC breaking character in a compulsory, unskippable cutscene, directly saying "You need Str gear, not Aim, not Cunning, not Will."

I recently saw an L34 smuggler in a WZ. :rak_09:

If you see someone which has not picked their AC, don't automatically make the assumption that they don't know (not saying that this is what you were thinking). Some of the older players will do this on purpose just for a more challenging leveling experience, commando's being the easier of the classes to do this with.