240 premades vs 246 premades

Alkruel

First forum post here so mind me if i sincerely mess something up :D

I've been wondering on the difference between 240 and 246 and 242 and 248 , and heres some questions i hope could get answered

Will i be able to run master mode ops with 240 / 242 gear?

How much more do i get as 246/248 than 240/242 , Eg how much hp do i gain and how much damage i gain

And if you have any other opinions about this post , post it here

Will i be able to run master mode ops with 240 / 242 gear?

Of course. In the original schema of these gear tiers, Master mode ops were the "main" *source* of 248-rated gear, so it would be pretty stupid if they couldn't be done in lesser gear.

That's an oversimplification, of course, since you can get 248s from tier 4 Command Crates (received once you hit Galactic Command rank 300), and you can trade up from tier 3 yellows (242) to tier 4 yellows (248) if you have enough Unassembled Components. (Those come from disintegrating command crate gear - except empty-shell stuff and loose mod-objects - and from playing PvP.)

How much more do i get as 246/248 than 240/242 , Eg how much hp do i gain and how much damage i gain

It's hard to quantify, since it depends on whether you are talking about tank gear or dps/heal gear, and also on your exact mix of stats, including augments. It will be noticeable, though.

It's hard to quantify, since it depends on whether you are talking about tank gear or dps/heal gear, and also on your exact mix of stats, including augments. It will be noticeable, though.

One detail I found extremely game altering is the addition of augs and the type of augs I stuck in my gears.

I geared a brand new toon in 230s then later added augs to all pieces and I found a noticeable performance difference.

The funny thing is with or without augs it showed my toon with a 230 gear rating.

Answer depends on your role.

DPS:

240/242 is enough for most bosses if you are extremely good at your role. Might still be an issue on some apex bosses that require top of the line DPS. If you are asking this question then I guess you aren't the most experienced player (I might be wrong) and as a DPS, I wouldn't recommend anything under 242 armoring with 246 mods with the old purple augments.

Healer:

240/242 gear is enough for every healing check in this game.Yes more gear will allow to maybe cover more mistakes done by teammates, but this tier is not very demanding on healers, and gear doesn't affect healing as much as it does DPS.

Tank:

Considering most tanks run power b mods in mm ops, gear isn't that much a factor. I'm pretty sure you can get enough hp/defense/shield/absorb with 240/242 gear for MM ops, but having better gear will allow you to get more DPS and HP, and that makes bosses easier.

TLDR: 240/242 is a bit low for MM ops for DPS. It is enough for healers and tank.

Edited by Eloi_BG

Answer depends on your role.

DPS:

240/242 is enough for most bosses if you are extremely good at your role. Might still be an issue on some apex bosses that require top of the line DPS. If you are asking this question then I guess you aren't the most experienced player (I might be wrong) and as a DPS, I wouldn't recommend anything under 242 armoring with 246 mods with the old purple augments.

Healer:

240/242 gear is enough for every healing check in this game.Yes more gear will allow to maybe cover more mistakes done by teammates, but this tier is not very demanding on healers, and gear doesn't affect healing as much as it does DPS.

Tank:

Considering most tanks run power b mods in mm ops, gear isn't that much a factor. I'm pretty sure you can get enough hp/defense/shield/absorb with 240/242 gear for MM ops, but having better gear will allow you to get more DPS and HP, and that makes bosses easier.

TLDR: 240/242 is a bit low for MM ops for DPS. It is enough for healers and tank.

In the end though would it just be better to buy a set of 240 premades because its half as cheap? Personally I don't think I can grind heroics half the day to get a 60 mil+ set of 246 premades off the gtn or sit on the fleet all day waiting for a crafter to give me 10% off gtn prices...

Also huge thanks to everyone who responded literally within 1 hour of the making of this post :>

In the end though would it just be better to buy a set of 240 premades because its half as cheap? Personally I don't think I can grind heroics half the day to get a 60 mil+ set of 246 premades off the gtn or sit on the fleet all day waiting for a crafter to give me 10% off gtn prices...

Also huge thanks to everyone who responded literally within 1 hour of the making of this post :>

240 premades(1) ("Iokath MK-4") will provide substandard damage output compared to 240 purple crate-drop gear ("Iokath MK-3") or 242 yellow crate-drop gear ("Iokath MK-5"). Why? Because all MK-4 and MK-14 crafted gear, no matter which tier, sacrifices Mastery to gain Endurance, and your damage output depends on Mastery and not on Endurance.

(1) "Premade" usually refers to "PREviously MADE" groups that queue for PvP and do better than individuals queueing separately (because they are better coordinated and often have voice chat as well). MK-4 and MK-14 gear is *crafted*, and crafting is the *only* source of that gear.

For sure I didn't factor in the price with my response. If credits are an issue, don't buy 246 stuff. Buying 240 stuff is kinda useless too, you can just run HM KP/EV and get 242 tokens. Leveling CXP is now pretty easy and a good way to get components to upgrade 242 to 248 (even faster if you PVP). IMO it's a lot faster to do this than to try and farm heroics for money.

Edited by Eloi_BG