Recent actions against some customer accounts

StephenReid

I just read every post in this thread... (Blinks eyes)

All I can say is that I am amazed at the quality of trolling going on in regards to the purposely obtuse ranting about the OP. Any sane person with common sense and a little intelligence can understand the only people that got warnings or suspensions were those that either willingly or unwittingly took part in a massive collusion to gain advantages above and beyond the scope of the normal metrics allowed.

In laymans terms... they cheated.

I for one applaud Bioware for acting quickly on this matter and look forward to playing for many years if this is the quality of support they will be giving the game from now on.

To be clear once again to those falling for the trolling :

You will not be warned, suspended, or banned for simply sitting next to a chest and looting it. If, however, either you or someone else enables you to do so in a manner that is not normal gameplay (like botting or refreshing the spawn timer repeatedly) then expect action to be taken.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read every post in this thread... (Blinks eyes)

All I can say is that I am amazed at the quality of trolling going on in regards to the purposely obtuse ranting about the OP. Any sane person with common sense and a little intelligence can understand the only people that got warnings or suspensions were those that either willingly or unwittingly took part in a massive collusion to gain advantages above and beyond the scope of the normal metrics allowed.

In laymans terms... they cheated.

I for one applaud Bioware for acting quickly on this matter and look forward to playing for many years if this is the quality of support they will be giving the game from now on.

To be clear once again to those falling for the trolling :

You will not be warned, suspended, or banned for simply sitting next to a chest and looting it. If, however, either you or someone else enables you to do so in a manner that is not normal gameplay (like botting or refreshing the spawn timer repeatedly) then expect action to be taken.

then you do not have the "common sense and a little intelligence" that you speak of correct. reread the OP and the other response and quote me where you got the collusion or that they cheated please. its not there. the only exploit that was done here was systematic and repeated looting of containers(farming) by low level characters, that Bioware decided to consider an exploit. There is no mention of using exploits to make chests respawn faster or anything else other than excessive farming.

They were banned for the fact the they would clear all the chest and nodes, then Flip the planet with the PVP combat. As soon as the planet fliped, fighting stopped and they porcedded to clean it again ... They would lather, rinse, repeat. There are videos of people doing this. There are video's of people being flamed for fliping the planet as soon as it is fliped back so people can not clear it.

They were banned for the fact the they would clear all the chest and nodes, then Flip the planet with the PVP combat. As soon as the planet fliped, fighting stopped and they porcedded to clean it again ... They would lather, rinse, repeat. There are videos of people doing this. There are video's of people being flamed for fliping the planet as soon as it is fliped back so people can not clear it.

if bioware would come out and says that the people suspended were u using exploits such as flipping or other methods to make the chests respawn faster then fine. but they have not and gave a very vague description of what they were doing. it said they were "exploiting the loot containers"(not using an exploit but exploiting: taking advantage of) and were systematically and repeatedly looting them and it was detrimental to the in-game economy. that was decided by the devs as an exploit, not that the devs decided they were using an exploit.

if farming is an exploit then the devs should come out and say so, or if the people were using exploits they should come out and say that.

then you do not have the "common sense and a little intelligence" that you speak of correct. reread the OP and the other response and quote me where you got the collusion or that they cheated please. its not there. the only exploit that was done here was systematic and repeated looting of containers(farming) by low level characters, that Bioware decided to consider an exploit. There is no mention of using exploits to make chests respawn faster or anything else other than excessive farming.

And just a teeny bit of research on your part (or just reading this thread) would show you that you are indeed incorrect in your assumptions. Bioware is not going to tell you HOW someone was able to loot excessively through an exploit and you should not expect them to.

You are stuck in a logic loop. By refusing to accept any more data you are unable to reach the correct answer. I suggest doing a little light reading off forum on how the exploit was done and then perhaps you will understand. It is no ones fault but your own if you refuse to educate yourself.

The above assumes you are truly and honestly ignorant of the facts. If you are just being obtuse to troll then I have no more time for you. This will be my last direct response to you on the matter except for correcting any misleading information you may post.

if bioware would come out and says that the people suspended were u using exploits such as flipping or other methods to make the chests respawn faster then fine. but they have not and gave a very vague description of what they were doing. it said they were "exploiting the loot containers"(not using an exploit but exploiting: taking advantage of) and were systematically and repeatedly looting them and it was detrimental to the in-game economy. that was decided by the devs as an exploit, not that the devs decided they were using an exploit.

if farming is an exploit then the devs should come out and say so, or if the people were using exploits they should come out and say that.

Bioware will not explain how to exploit their game nor should they.

Farming is not an exploit and has been stated as such.

The devs caught people exploiting (verb) the chests (noun). They have not stated the chests (noun) are an exploit (noun). How they exploited is not explained nor should it be.

Extensive metrics? I'm sorry, is this a joke? You're essentially telling players that if they play too much, you'll ban them for "credit farming", or suspend them for "exploiting" containers. Exploit? What a load of nonsense - would you care to tell us exactly how many containers we're allowed to loot on Ilum, and how many times we can loot each, before we're considered to be exploiters?

Am I going to get banned for sending credits from one character to another, because your "extensive metrics" decide the amounts are outside the norm? Utter lunacy.

Or make it so said character can only loot a container at a certain rate (e.i. once a day, once a lifetime).

Expecting official forums to contain details about exploit, and developer to post them nonetheless, not gonna happen. And they will never fully reveal the methods they used to detect bots/exploiters, for their own safety (if a company exposes completely their security methods that just helps further intrusion attempts that bypass such methods). Why give botters info so they can avoid getting caught next time?

Some of the things/proof of what people/bots were doing can be found outside if trolls really care to google. All I can say is, neither can a single player farm chests for days without sleep, nor is it normal gameplay to control the instance spawns and systematically destroy economy as a result.

Harsh action at early stage of the game is necessary to make a message clear, send farmers and bots back to where they belong to.

Read through about 50 pages of this and wow, just wow...

Looting chests isn't an exploit, nor is doing it on ilum at level 1(not possible but you get the idea). Easy to see here the problem was they were doing it faster than whatever the abitrary respawn rate for chests are, hence the word used RAPIDLY. Which means the aformentioned "flipping" of points to force a respawn on chests is the most likely culprit, argue semantics all day if you like, but covering your eyes so you can't see the train doesn't mean it won't still turn you into ground chuck.

You have to understand that as an employee of bioware Mr Reid probably has obligations to not give intimate details of an exploit until it gets fixed. Why? Because it's not something we should know, no good will come of it. Sure a lot of us will just continue to play as we see fit, others will log in and head straight to the exploit, knowing there will be consequences. So yeah, he didn't specifically mention what the exploit was.

Say you have a million dollars in your house, you warn a guy that you will shoot him if you catch him in your house, are you then going to map out the easiest routes in that have no security measures against them, and hope the threat was enough to ward him away? If you answer yes to this, I feel sorry for your parents.

It's really simple. Permabans went out to people who were selling credits(honestly I would have preferred if home addresses got released for accounts registered in the USA responsible for this). Warnings and suspensions were issued for people who were obtaining chests by forcing them to respawn faster than they would normally. If you are purposefully changing a flag for a zone that forces a respawn so that you can loot a variety of chests at a faster than normal rate, and you honestly think this behavior is completely legit, then you truly are a newbie, and need to be warned or punished for nothing other than the learning experience.

I have done some work upholding rules and policies for an online game before, not every player is out to exploit, but every exploiter knows when they are abusing an ingame feature for personal gain. If it's too good to be true, then it is. If it was as intended then everyone would have access to it simultaneously.

Flame away, not taking up for Bioware. I'm trying to alert a new generation of gamers to the fact that we have a responsibility as gamers to try and play fair. Follow the rules, if you find a game breaking mechanic, report it. If you exploit it be prepared to pay. Games are meant to have fun. Kinda hard to do if your dubious actions keep you from playing.