A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)

Daemonson

Hey folks,

I just wanted to step in here to let you know that we are actively investigating this and we will update you as soon as we have more information. We apologize for the inconvenience, but rest assured that we're looking into it.

Ty for the response...now hurry because every time I'm going to die doing Operations I get scared as hell! :rak_evil:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your feedback on the changes to repair costs introduced with Game Update 1.7. Upon review, we agree with you that repair costs did become too high with this latest Game Update. To that end, we will be making a change to how these repair costs are calculated, starting with our next scheduled maintenance. Repair costs will now be calculated based on the combined value of all the mods installed in the shell, excluding the value of the shell itself. Players will see a noticeable reduction immediately after the change goes in.

Additionally, we’d like to apologize for the inconvenience that we introduced.

As a thank you for your patience during this time, we will also be reducing ALL repair costs by 50% once the aforementioned change goes in with the next scheduled maintenance. This will last all the way through until early access to Rise of the Hutt Cartel launches.

Your feedback is important to us, and we hope that this resolution alleviates the repair costs concerns. Thanks again for your patience.

Thank You! This is a huge releif...

This is great to hear. Especially after spending a but* load last night on many Xeno HMs.

My only concern is people's reaction after the 50% discount. You're going to lower them, then giving a 50% discount on top of that making repairs really cheap for a while. But when that discount ends I can see people freaking out about them going up again.

But overall happy with the response.

<snipe>

As a thank you for your patience during this time, we will also be reducing ALL repair costs by 50% once the aforementioned change goes in with the next scheduled maintenance. This will last all the way through until early access to Rise of the Hutt Cartel launches.

Your feedback is important to us, and we hope that this resolution alleviates the repair costs concerns. Thanks again for your patience.

Awesome Response Devs!!!!

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your feedback on the changes to repair costs introduced with Game Update 1.7. Upon review, we agree with you that repair costs did become too high with this latest Game Update. To that end, we will be making a change to how these repair costs are calculated, starting with our next scheduled maintenance. Repair costs will now be calculated based on the combined value of all the mods installed in the shell, excluding the value of the shell itself. Players will see a noticeable reduction immediately after the change goes in.

Great solution; now sticky this at the top of the forum and leave the bolded part bolded or else this entirely positive and very welcome gesture will cause more problems when ROTHC hits.

Thanks to the DEVS, this is the right move.

Now please handle the communication part the right way outside of this thread to maximize the benefit to the community.

Great solution! Thank you Bioware.

I agree with IceHawk.

Great solution; now sticky this at the top of the forum and leave the bolded part bolded or else this entirely positive and very welcome gesture will cause more problems when ROTHC hits.

The "50% reduction until ROTHC hits" part needs to be remembered!

Not sure how the math will exactly work out on this, but it sounds like it will be reasonable. Thank you!

This is great to hear. Especially after spending a but* load last night on many Xeno HMs.

My only concern is people's reaction after the 50% discount. You're going to lower them, then giving a 50% discount on top of that making repairs really cheap for a while. But when that discount ends I can see people freaking out about them going up again.

But overall happy with the response.

I don't think so, because is obvious a temporal discount, I'm happy if only they fix the problem, the 50% is not necessary from my point of view, may be only to recapitalize for a while, but is not like a necessary action.

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your response. I am glad you decided to revise the changes in a timely fashion.

I have to warn you however about your generous offer of reducing the cost by 50% from now until the release of the next expansion. As thankful as I am, depending on when the next expansion hits, it may backfire on you. Relatively thinking, we will see the repair cost increase by 2X. Now, overall the case can be made the total cost would be affordable, but the increase may be enough to set up alarms.

May I suggest if possible to adapt this offering in a different scheme? Specifically, something that does not involve a drastic change in a negative direction in a 3 month + future. Perhaps a permanent change ( say 10--20%) or Free repairs for the next maintenance cycle and gradual increases every cycle there after( say 10-20%).

Again though, thanks for addressing this issue.

You claim that people who are now paying what others have been paying all along are paying 10x what they were before. The logical corollary is that these people were paying 10x less than what everyone else was at the time.

As I have yet to see evidence of change to repair costs for lower level characters, I refute at least a portion of your question. End Game gear, its unreasonable to expect people to pay different repair prices based on whether or not they wear social gear.

You must have never been a tank in a WoW progression guild then. I would pay near 2-3k per death (10% durability loss) being in full plate armor and having a shiled with high armor and a weapon. Compared to a clothie paying only 800+ with the same item level gear. Most guilds help their tanks with repair costs more so than dps because even without dying they are always getting hit which wears on ghe durability. So yes even in this game there are people paying more.

But its cool you think your opinion is fact.

Hi everyone,

Thx Jov, this is very much appreciated. though Im still frustrated with the cause of this situation, this was an impressive response. Thank you.

This could have been caught if we had the chance to test on a PTR...and probably would have never gotten to live. Im sure you guys had a reason to push out a patch without external testing, but I hope this is a good reminder to you that PTR's (and player feedback) are really, like real world, really important. we get lip service to that from you all the time...but here's a good reason why you need to get us involved, and not just trust your metrics or your lab tests. I've found from experience (I work in network too, and i deal with a lab team all the time) that labs =/= live network. plz make sure moving forward that you engage us as a community in testing these things before you drop them on us in a live environment.

Thx Jov, this is very much appreciated. though Im still frustrated with the cause of this situation, this was an impressive response. Thank you.

This could have been caught if we had the chance to test on a PTR...and probably would have never gotten to live. Im sure you guys had a reason to push out a patch without external testing, but I hope this is a good reminder to you that PTR's (and player feedback) are really, like real world, really important. we get lip service to that from you all the time...but here's a good reason why you need to get us involved, and not just trust your metrics or your lab tests. I've found from experience (I work in network too, and i deal with a lab team all the time) that labs =/= live network. plz make sure moving forward that you engage us as a community in testing these things before you drop them on us in a live environment.

This has been the biggest thing that disappoints me about the way BW handles testing. PTR is there for a reason but it is underutilized.

Hi everyone,

Leaving us hanging on this for 5 days was a bad move. Not only is it viewed as bad customer service, but it's just bad business. You guys need to start getting out in front of issues like this. Be proactive, not reactive.

It probably would have also been smart to more carefully scrutinize the code that calculates repair costs. It honestly sounds like one person's dumb mistake caused this whole mess.

You ultimately made the right decision on how to handle this. Now let's see how you implement it. If I were you, I'd post frequent warnings that repair costs will be going back up at the end of the 50% discount. I would also strongly consider phasing out the discount slowly. Raise it by 10 percentage points per week leading up to RotHC, for example. Players will be able to get used to the new costs and every week prices rise, it means we are one week closer to the expansion.

Leaving us hanging on this for 5 days was a bad move. Not only is it viewed as bad customer service, but it's just bad business. You guys need to start getting out in front of issues like this. Be proactive, not reactive.

It probably would have also been smart to more carefully scrutinize the code that calculates repair costs. It honestly sounds like one person's dumb mistake caused this whole mess.

You ultimately made the right decision on how to handle this. Now let's see how you implement it. If I were you, I'd post frequent warnings that repair costs will be going back up at the end of the 50% discount. I would also strongly consider phasing out the discount slowly. Raise it by 10 percentage points per week leading up to RotHC, for example. Players will be able to get used to the new costs and every week prices rise, it means we are one week closer to the expansion.

This is the second business day since they said they were going to look into it. That's 1 day of waiting. Just because you had nothing better to do over the long weekend doesn't mean they didn't.

Things I don't understand:

1) so repair bills are still high until next tuesday when the next maintenance happens?

2) repair costs used to be based on the shell value and not the mods/enh/arm. then it got changed/fixed/corrected/whatever to be the shells and the mods and the prices went waaaaaaaaaaay up. seemingly that means the mods/enh/arm caused the masive increase. wouldn't backing out the shell from where it is now just be a very low decrease?? you'd just be subtracting what the old repair costs were from what the new repair costs are to get an adjusted repair cost.....this won't satisfy people. i guess that is why they are doing the 50% off that as well.

perhaps I have both of these things way wrong. can anyone shed light on these subjects?

Things I don't understand:

1) so repair bills are still high until next tuesday when the next maintenance happens?

2) repair costs used to be based on the shell value and not the mods/enh/arm. then it got changed/fixed/corrected/whatever to be the shells and the mods and the prices went waaaaaaaaaaay up. seemingly that means the mods/enh/arm caused the masive increase. wouldn't backing out the shell from where it is now just be a very low decrease?? you'd just be subtracting what the old repair costs were from what the new repair costs are to get an adjusted repair cost.....this won't satisfy people. i guess that is why they are doing the 50% off that as well.

perhaps I have both of these things way wrong. can anyone shed light on these subjects?

There's another thread in which a player tested repairs using various shells. The testing proved that the shell contributed substantially to repair costs while mods, armorings, etc. contributed minimally.

This is what Joveth said they're fixing. And it's the right move. It removes the negative impact of using expensive shells and participating in group activities.

There's another thread in which a player tested repairs using various shells. The testing proved that the shell contributed substantially to repair costs while mods, armorings, etc. contributed minimally.

This is what Joveth said they're fixing. And it's the right move. It removes the negative impact of using expensive shells and participating in group activities.

thank you for the clarification. i try to stay up to date on the boards, but i completely missed that thread.

Thank you for addressing the repair costs, Bioware. My fear in the future would be that if we would have a hard time pugging a person to work on a progression boss....in fact I think we were already seeing the effects of that. You don't want to discourage risk taking. Edited by chuixupu

Thanks, Joveth! My guild can finally get back to progression raiding again!

the way i read the posting you will have to wait until the next maintenance patch to get back to raiding. maybe that will be sooner rather than later. but if it is tuesday then no raiding this weekend for you. :(

This is the second business day since they said they were going to look into it. That's 1 day of waiting. Just because you had nothing better to do over the long weekend doesn't mean they didn't.

Please! I wish I'd had a long weekend. Even so, noon on Friday to noon today is two "business" days, not 1. Hardly the point though.

If they want to keep banker hours, that's their choice, but it has consequences, namely that they may not have systems in place to react nimbly and quickly to serious issues.

Remember how much credit Oreo got for tweeting during the Superbowl blackout. I bet you think all those marketers should have been at Superbowl parties, right?

do you honestly think they get presidents day off? The post office and banks are closed for that one, no one else.