The ‘Tank Nerf’...

Jediboo

Perhaps. So maybe try to explain it to me - name a couple places where it's better, since you claim it's "most cases".

I'm not saying you're wrong...it all depends on the player...you seem confident that you're right and I'm wrong...so maybe in your case, it is better for you and how you play. You may be just as quick at completing things as I am too...but I have NEVER had a situation where I felt a tank companion would have been a better choice. I've done every bit of content in this game, so please give me examples of when a tanking companion is better than DPS/Healer. I do solo FPs, I've done every story mission...I honestly can't name a single time where a tank would have been better than a healer...not ONE time comes to mind...yet you think it's "most cases"...

As a DPS with a healing companion, I burn down mobs quickly, efficiently, I never need to waste time to stop and heal, I don't need to use DCDs, and my companion never needs me to heal him up either. I can pull as many mobs as I like and never worry about dying. If I lose agro on a gold or champion mob, it's easy to gain it back by focusing 1-2 attacks on that mob.

I still maintain that a tanking companion is worthless in solo PvE...but I welcome you to change my mind.

Concealment, scrapper, deception, and infiltration specs gain a bonus to back attack, so having a tank to force the nocs to focus them opensup positioning advantages that can increase dmg output, especially on longer fights with champions or elite NPCs.

Also, AOE dps specs benefit from the tank comp agroing/pulling all the adds together and clumping them to mass-AOE down.

Edited by olagatonjedi

The only place I ever felt it was actually better to use a tank companion is the Aurora Cannon (Section X heroic) bonus quest/last boss. If you use a healer you are VERY likely to find yourself in a situation where the boss recieves the heals instead of you or your companion. Alternatively you can spec tank and let comp DPS, but I've always found it easier vise versa. Edited by addyusaf

Tanking is absolutely worthless in solo activities because you still need your companion to heal. Healers can use a DPS companion and still do well in solo PvE. Nobody who knows what they're doing uses a tank companion.

The other aspects of your comments refer to group activities, where a tank still has value and can be fun to play...but they're pathetic in solo play.

:eek: I had to read that twice to make sure I read it correctly. NOT. TRUE. I use my companions as tanks for many of my characters when doing heroics, weeklies and some solo flashpoints (some I use my companion as damage). It's only the harder solo content where I use my companion as healer (harder mode chapters, most of Ossus especially the Empire side H4 which can be done with a healer companion & a lightning Sith Inq saves trying to get a group).

Some people asked for a tank damage nerf and BW only knows extreme nerfs, so there you go, enjoy your tank damage now.

For Deception sins, nobody asked for nerf and they still got it, 'cause (and I'll queue Musco)

"We felt that Deception sins were OP, so we nerfed their damage."

And broke their burst and damage as a result.

But as someone said, they dont even play their own game and they arent capable of listening to their player base, so...

This whole thread cracks me up. First of all tank dps did need a nerf. Think of it this way in 4.0 good tanks were pulling 2k or so and top dps was around 7k. In 5.0 before the nerf tanks were at around 4k and dps around 9k ish. So they were out performing compared to 4.0. Also when they did the nerf they increased threat gen to be something like 1.5 times the threat making that a joke. The other big problem is still see with a lot of peoples tanks is there gear. There should be no reason to ever run warding mods. All tanks should be either running lethal b or lethal mods at this point. The only one of the tanks that was hit too hard was pt tank as that before the nerf was the only reason to rlly bring a pt tank was the extra damage.

This whole thread cracks me up. First of all tank dps did need a nerf. Think of it this way in 4.0 good tanks were pulling 2k or so and top dps was around 7k. In 5.0 before the nerf tanks were at around 4k and dps around 9k ish. So they were out performing compared to 4.0. Also when they did the nerf they increased threat gen to be something like 1.5 times the threat making that a joke. The other big problem is still see with a lot of peoples tanks is there gear. There should be no reason to ever run warding mods. All tanks should be either running lethal b or lethal mods at this point. The only one of the tanks that was hit too hard was pt tank as that before the nerf was the only reason to rlly bring a pt tank was the extra damage.

Your argument regarding the tanks dps pre patches seem like a grasp to make some kind of point that really has none? They needed a nerf even though they were half dps damage? now they are a third in some cases a fourth? Where was the need? PvP? PvE? Why do you think they needed to do less dps then they already did? It was mediocre, now it’s horrible?

How much the field respec cost? 50k. That's kinda low. Now as suscriber the respecs are free. So instead of trying to make healers, and tanks do better damage i would make these changes:

Tanks can generate more threat from that little damage. If tanking is truly that hard, and i can tell, that it's far from easy.

Respec gets easier. Like in outfitter you could save your builds, and switch them at any time. Even during combat. However changes during combat will only apply as soon as combat ends. Just like for companions. Also switching between saved spec could be done from portrait right click like for companions. Saving your specialization also saves your action bars. You could pick a favorite dps, and healer/tank example, and upon entering group content you would auto switch to your favored style, if you are not in an apropiate specialization, and would auto switch back when it ends.

While tanking, and healing wouldn't be more enjoyable for solo. The switch between dps, and tank/heal would be far easier. Making people think less before they switch, and with the auto switch they don't even need to bother when playing with group finder.

Your argument regarding the tanks dps pre patches seem like a grasp to make some kind of point that really has none? They needed a nerf even though they were half dps damage? now they are a third in some cases a fourth? Where was the need? PvP? PvE? Why do you think they needed to do less dps then they already did? It was mediocre, now it’s horrible?

Exactly. Bioware has removed ALL fun from playing a tank outside of Ops imo. They're not even needed in HM FPs.

The "nerf" was needed in skank tanks - PvP tanks who wear DPS gear because defensive stats were meaningless in PvP by design. They did NOT need a nerf in the PvE environment...not in the least.

As a DPS with a healing companion, I burn down mobs quickly, efficiently, I never need to waste time to stop and heal, I don't need to use DCDs, and my companion never needs me to heal him up either.

I can say the same thing about tank companions except I do all that faster. Healers slow me down. Tanks put out more damage than healers and take all the heat. All I need to do to heal them is mount up afterwards which I do anyway. If I'm stuck in a story instance that won't let me mount up I make them sell junk for 5 seconds, which is why I always invest in that Legacy perk.

If I'm DPS, I almost always use tank comps, though depending on spec I'll double down and use a DPS comp to go even faster. If I'm the tank, which most of my toons are, I use DPS comps exclusively because tank with healer comps is like watching paint dry. If solo play with tanks (yay! we made our way back on topic!) is unbearable I'd suggest using DPS comps, Healers are a crutch I got off a long time ago. When I run my tanks through Ossus it's barely noticeable difference from my DPS toons.

Well, if leveling/solo content is boring as a tank, you're doing it wrong. Done right, the tank can clear a room just as fast (if not faster) than a DPS.

DPS does one mob group at a time. They enter combat, finish, heal, then move on and enter combat.

A tank with a healer comp can pull one group, aoe them, then pull another group or two, aoe them to death, then leap to the next group when he starts running low on enemies. As long as he picks off all the ranged enemies before he moves on, the surviving melee enemies will follow him to the next group. He can keep this strategy up till the room is clear. No need for stopping to rest and refresh in between groups. It's also highly satisfying to use. You honestly feel like an immovable object while surrounded by ten to fifteen enemies and laughing at their puny attempts to kill you while using Guardian Slash to merc 7 at a time.

If you just go one group at a time, I can see how it would be slow and boring, but you can offset that by using the tank's strengths to your advantage. It's also good practice for building and maintaining threat over large groups of mobs.

Edit: In all fairness, idk how well this works in endgame content, but for leveling it's a blast.

Edited by MrTwoThumbs

Well, if leveling/solo content is boring as a tank, you're doing it wrong. Done right, the tank can clear a room just as fast (if not faster) than a DPS.

It's really simple math. My tank does 3-3.5k DPS...my DPS does 9-10k+ and TONS more in AoE situations (4x's what a tank can) when everything lines up right. No companion is doing 7k damage, so where do you think you get "more" damage from exactly? You have to think you do more, since you think you can kill them faster than a DPS can. Both tanks and DPS can pull the same number of mobs - if you pull too many, you're spaced out too far and they 'evade', negating any advantage you have by pretending tanks can gather 100 mobs together.

The tank nerf was far too much...it has made tanks unenjoyable imo. So much so that my tank is my #1 or 2 played toon, and I refuse to take him to Ossus because it's flipping tedious as hell on a tank to kill crap. Doing 1/3 or less damage than other toons is FAR too little.

What you do while leveling is irrelevant to the discussion.

It's really simple math. My tank does 3-3.5k DPS...my DPS does 9-10k+ and TONS more in AoE situations (4x's what a tank can) when everything lines up right. No companion is doing 7k damage, so where do you think you get "more" damage from exactly? You have to think you do more, since you think you can kill them faster than a DPS can. Both tanks and DPS can pull the same number of mobs - if you pull too many, you're spaced out too far and they 'evade', negating any advantage you have by pretending tanks can gather 100 mobs together.

The tank nerf was far too much...it has made tanks unenjoyable imo. So much so that my tank is my #1 or 2 played toon, and I refuse to take him to Ossus because it's flipping tedious as hell on a tank to kill crap. Doing 1/3 or less damage than other toons is FAR too little.

What you do while leveling is irrelevant to the discussion.

Tanks can pull more mobs lol. It's really simple to do. The melee ones follow you the whole way and the ranged will have to follow you a bit, which usually leaves them clumped together. So you go grab the next group, then cluster them all together. It's not that hard and is way more engaging than grabbing one group at a time as a dps.

And it's not faster because you deal more damage. It's faster because you have no downtime and are taking on 15 mobs at a time instead of 5. After work I'll upload a video and show you what I mean.

It's kind of like what you do while tanking mobs in fp's. You don't need to wait till the current group is all the way dead before pulling the next group. As long as you've properly built up threat, you can move on to the next pull and the current mobs will follow while the dps mops up. There's no need to make a huge production out of every pull.

Hell, in certain situations I just pull the whole room.

It's kind of like what you do while tanking mobs in fp's. You don't need to wait till the current group is all the way dead before pulling the next group. As long as you've properly built up threat, you can move on to the next pull and the current mobs will follow while the dps mops up. There's no need to make a huge production out of every pull.

Hell, in certain situations I just pull the whole room.

Lol, i do this all the time, dragging 3-4 mobs under 30% health to the next group of adds while the dps follow and attack.

And usually at the end of the FP i get complimented how fast and smooth things went.

Lol, i do this all the time, dragging 3-4 mobs under 30% health to the next group of adds while the dps follow and attack.

And usually at the end of the FP i get complimented how fast and smooth things went.

It's how you were expected to tank fp's in WoW when I played that during Lich King. People would complain if you went one group at a time.

Going back to Solo Play, you can do the same thing with a companion cleaning up mobs and/or healing you. It goes a lot smoother and faster than one group at a time.

It's how you were expected to tank fp's in WoW when I played that during Lich King. People would complain if you went one group at a time.

Going back to Solo Play, you can do the same thing with a companion cleaning up mobs and/or healing you. It goes a lot smoother and faster than one group at a time.

You will always kill big mobs faster as a FPS assuming you have a healer comp. and assuming you keep your mods up to date while you level, I could pull up to 10-15 adds with my rank 15-30 companion and melt through the entire group all on my slinger, Mara, Vang, sorc, and shadow dps... you will do better as a tank pulling big mobs while leveling if you don’t know solid rotations and mitigation as a dps:..

At end game solo play dps with healer comp will and should always be pulling large mobs and killing them all quicker then a tank now or the dps is doing something seriously wrong...

You will always kill big mobs faster as a FPS assuming you have a healer comp. and assuming you keep your mods up to date while you level, I could pull up to 10-15 adds with my rank 15-30 companion and melt through the entire group all on my slinger, Mara, Vang, sorc, and shadow dps... you will do better as a tank pulling big mobs while leveling if you don’t know solid rotations and mitigation as a dps:..

At end game solo play dps with healer comp will and should always be pulling large mobs and killing them all quicker then a tank now or the dps is doing something seriously wrong...

Multiply whatever number of npcs you can pull on your good dps by 3+ and you will have the amount that a good tank can pull without breaking a sweat, and burning them down quickly.

Multiply whatever number of npcs you can pull on your good dps by 3+ and you will have the amount that a good tank can pull without breaking a sweat, and burning them down quickly.

Lol no they won’t especially after the nerf, you’re lying to yourself or in denial.. both the same thing. Fully top tier geared dps will be more efficient always. Whoever you’ve dps’d on you’re either not fully geared as you think (including optimized stat pool), or you aren’t honestly as good at whatever dps class you’re wanting to try to play lol.

And as before, not talking completely solo, healing companion is included in what I was talking about. Unless you hadn’t read that. I’m on star Forge server characters name is Marduk’Enkî, one of them anyway, I can prove to you what I’m saying if you want, my fully geared Mara dps to any of your tanks in which can pull xNumber of NPCs and how quickly the mob is killed with comps out.

I mean unless you know of some video of a non-baddy dps and tank who has already proven the point you’re trying to make, and since after the tank nerf?

Mentioning your comment in my guild chat got some laughs though because it’s simply not true when comp is with you healing.

Edited by Jediboo