22 Character Per Server Limit.....Any plans to increase it?

kharathos

Just as the title says. I have 22 toons on my chosen server so I cannot make more (Wife & I love maxing out then starting over thanks to PVP mostly) and I have no intention of starting over on another server as I am happy with the server I am on. Eric/Bioware, are you able to advise if you are looking to increase the server limit or whether you actually have the ability to increase this (Technology/server capacity wise) at a later date?

Reason I ask is simply because you allow us to make 350 characters overall however I get terrible lag on any server not based on the west coast so that rules out any European or East coast server.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really??? Are you stupid or just pointlessly commenting? Rhetorical. Don't answer that.

I said why we love making alts and why we don't want to start over on another server and why we are limited to the West Coast even if we did. Reading................it goes a long way!! :p

Here's a tip. You got nothing to contribute so hush now, sit there quietly and let the Adults contribute to this here thread where hopefully the magic yellow font of Eric will grace it with a response. :cool:

Why would anyone representing BW comment on your question when you insult people posting in your thread?

You could always make your extra alts on F2P accounts.

Unless you're actually taking them all the way to 55, most of your alt needs can be met at preferred status so you wouldn't actually have to spend more than $5 on any single account.

I'd be much happier with an account-wide Legacy. :D

I'm not even worried about not being able to mail stuff to alts on different servers - I just want my Legacies synchronized and I'll be one happy camper.

Heh.. you can pretty much do that by pulling the lever and transfer one character. :D yeah... you don't get true sync, but you can turbo-charge a lower level Legacy. :)

Heh.. you can pretty much do that by pulling the lever and transfer one character. :D yeah... you don't get true sync, but you can turbo-charge a lower level Legacy. :)

That's what I did actually. :D

And since I'm maxed on all reputation factions (that I care about at least) and such I'm set for a while.

Of course once they start adding more stuff... :eek:

I'm down for more character slots past 22. Just let us throw more money your way EAWare!

I agree with this.

I recently created more characters on another server, aside from the ones I have on my main server - Red Eclipse - but I feel naked so to speak, since I rely heavily on crafting armor pieces for my new alts, not to mention over expensive(!) stuff I can buy on one server and surely not on the other.

I'd be much happier with an account-wide Legacy. :D

I'm not even worried about not being able to mail stuff to alts on different servers - I just want my Legacies synchronized and I'll be one happy camper.

At this point, I'd rather see that as well... 22 slots seems to be enough for most people I think though an increase to 24 would be nice too but it's not something that bothers me as a whole.

I just did that in the last week, moving one of my low levels to another server. Kind of wish we had a second west coast PVE server, but the RP server has been pleasant so far. :)

Just as the title says. I have 22 toons on my chosen server so I cannot make more (Wife & I love maxing out then starting over thanks to PVP mostly) and I have no intention of starting over on another server as I am happy with the server I am on. Eric/Bioware, are you able to advise if you are looking to increase the server limit or whether you actually have the ability to increase this (Technology/server capacity wise) at a later date?

Reason I ask is simply because you allow us to make 350 characters overall however I get terrible lag on any server not based on the west coast so that rules out any European or East coast server.

I have the exact same problem. At least until they increase the cap, I have time to get them all to lvl 55 :)

I don't think there is any way around your problem. I had the same problem in WoW and the only solution was to maintain a second account. Otherwise, you will have to reroll on a new server.

i think 16 would be more than enough so u could have every adv class.

Some people, when saying stuff like that, miss the mark by a gap as large as the body of water separating North America from Western Europe.

The issue, as far as I'm concerned, is not the need of having every single advanced class covered in the game but rather the desire to replay some of the storylines two, three times or more times than that.

It's a rather recurring factor in every single RPG in existence. The fact this game has the term "MMO" attached doesn't exactly alter it in any shape or form.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Create another account. Start a new legacy, related unlocks and collection from scrape. Is this not beneficial to EA/Bioware since you have to replicate your cc spending? Why would they aid you by expanding the current 22 char limit and in the process hurt their pocket? Doubt your request will be taken up, unfortunately.

BTW, there are other mmo with even more stringent cap on char slot number. Swtor is pretty generous in this aspect already with its 22 limit.

Edited by Einobi

Create another account. Start a new legacy, related unlocks and collection from scrape. Is this not beneficial to EA/Bioware since you have to replicate your cc spending? Why would they aid you by expanding the current 22 char limit and in the process hurt their pocket? Doubt your request will be taken up, unfortunately.

BTW, there are other mmo with even more stringent cap on char slot number. Swtor is pretty generous in this aspect already with its 22 limit.

I'd be fine with multiple accounts as long as they would allow us to combine our legacy and collections. No one is going to replicate their CC spending like that.

You could always make your extra alts on F2P accounts.

Unless you're actually taking them all the way to 55, most of your alt needs can be met at preferred status so you wouldn't actually have to spend more than $5 on any single account.

Are you talking about a sub and a FTP on the same server?

i think 16 would be more than enough so u could have every adv class.

Some people actually enjoy having more than one character of the same AC. Personally, I have 3 Juggernauts because I love the class and the story and because Juggernaut fits my perception of their personalities and story most. I also have two Sorcerers because I love the class (though not neccessarily the story) and because the class fits them most.

There perhaps is no easy explanation to why some people enjoy creating a lot of toons (and actually playing them), but it's a valid play style.

While I do agree that 22 character slots are already fairly generous, I would welcome the possibility to purchase more. After all, the legacy system encourages the creation of alts on a single server.

If people want to play more than 22 char, just let them be. Why go question the why and whether they should? As long as they are paying and spending time in the game, that is good. Why have some constraints preventing this? The cap should be on f2p or preferred player lest it is abused. But for paying customer, it should not be capped. They are paying anyway.

If the question is on the storage cost to swtor when sub goes into preferred for a long period of time, then the consideration is on the cost of an additional slot beyond the 22 char. Make it cost such that it will pay swtor to manage the additional storage for the next 10 years (doubt swtor will survive till then at current rate :) ). Storage is cheap and it should not cost a lot. It should not be a hard constraint leaving no choice for the customer.

While only few people will ever need more than 22 slots per server, the limit in itself is abitrary and got no technical background.

Storing 350 characters takes up a certain ammount of storage capacity, but it doesn't matter at all, on which server they are. Having 20 Chars on each server or all chars on one server takes the same ammount of storage.... So that cannot be a reason for the limit.

With 16 Chars on on server, it is already easily possible to be a self sufficient crafter (6 chars are enough for that), so that cannot be the reason.

You can only play one char at a time, regardless how many chars you got on your server, so any kind of "crowd control" cannot be the reason.

Each further slot earns money for Bioware/EA at no cost... so I do not see any reason for a hardlimit on char slots. The millions of F2P chars, that were created and never touched again take up a lot more space than the 23rd+ chars of subscribers.

(The OP could however work on his rudeness problem and he also could have renewed the already existing suggestion to lift this limit.)

Woot, I go to work, come back and 3 pages later.......

Calling me a retard? Telling me I can't read and calling me a whelp? Funny I came here ASKING a simple question on why you needed more slots (Which wasn't offensive at all) and instead you start insulting me and attacking me? I can understand if I was being rude or insulting you but I wasn't. I sincerely hope Eric won't answer your question as you are extremely rude and immature. There is a common rule when posting:

If you have nothing nice to say don't say it.

My mistake was in even responding to your pointless question. On that I will admit mea culpa. I should have just ignored it and you for the pointless post it was. Lesson learnt. But to take your "if you have nothing nice to say" etc and switch it back, if you have nothing relevant to contribute............. :D

You started the topic, people are asking questions and commenting in a PUBLIC DISCUSSION. You made it public.

As a player with 28 characters, 22 on one server and 6 on another, I do not personally feel a need for more characters per server. It's rather easy to spin up on another server, especially in the era of Collections being account wide.

I get that you feel differently, but if you want to initiate a general forum discussion... then be prepared for discussion and different views and perspectives. IF you just want an answer from Eric.. send Eric a PM. ;)

Refer to my point about the question LegoUniverseBC asked being pointless. What should it matter why? I simply wanted to know if it would happen as I am happy on my server and don't want to create more characters on different servers nor do I want to delete what I already have as others have also said and understand in this thread. If you simply do not want 22+ characters, great for you and anyone else of like mind and I thank you for your input but perhaps this thread is not for you. This is for those who do and are also curious since the last 22 slot thread has not had any response from BW in some time. But thanks for sharing your thoughts. :cool:

You're rude, and as such you're obnoxius one. Delete your characters you don't play anymore.

You said earlier you and your imaginary lady wish to start over characters so you can play them again. Do that and delete the ones you've had your fun already.

You do realize 22 or over characters in any game is stupidly overboard and demanding for more is just diligent.

Oh look, an example to prove my lesson learnt. I see an insult towards my wife from some forum nobody in there among other things like assuming he knows what I do and telling me how I should play SWTOR but what was stated is pointless to the question of whether Bioware will increase the magic 22 so just walking away and dismissing it without a proper retort for the pointless post it is.. Just......like.....that!! ! :jawa_tongue:

Back to the point of the thread now I have dismissed the pointless, and oh look here is a valid post:

If people want to play more than 22 char, just let them be. Why go question the why and whether they should? As long as they are paying and spending time in the game, that is good. Why have some constraints preventing this? The cap should be on f2p or preferred player lest it is abused. But for paying customer, it should not be capped. They are paying anyway.

If the question is on the storage cost to swtor when sub goes into preferred for a long period of time, then the consideration is on the cost of an additional slot beyond the 22 char. Make it cost such that it will pay swtor to manage the additional storage for the next 10 years (doubt swtor will survive till then at current rate :) ). Storage is cheap and it should not cost a lot. It should not be a hard constraint leaving no choice for the customer.

Agreed x a billion. I would think if the Account can have 350 characters across the whole game, surely there is nothing physical server wise in preventing having more then 22 characters on one server. After all it is just information and if they are happy to let f2p accounts fester with unplayed toons, surely a subscriber can be looked after with having more character slots on their preferred server? As some have stated, they don't see the need for more then 22 so it is not like the whole server's population would do it.

Example: If my mathematics do not fail me, if one wanted to play every advanced class in the game which includes same tree specs and both factions (A sorc for example doing madness on one character then doing madness as an assassin), that means you need 48 slots (or 24 if you want to stick to just one faction) which then means 22 really isn't going to cut it now is it?

And yes, there are some of us who like to play every tree. :mon_rolleyes:

Hell the incentive is there for Bioware to earn more money from server unlocks as it is. But let's face it, there are quite a number of servers many players cannot play on like European ones due to the major lag encountered so increasing server slots makes sense when looked at from that view also.

I'd really like to see an increase in character slots. I have 22 characters. I've deleted 2 to roll ACs I haven't played. But I get bored pretty quick once I hit 55. The gear grind does nothing for me. Leveling a new toon is far more entertaining.

So, add more slots. Make them Cartel purchases if you have too.