Rest XP: It ruins the game!

Lauski

TL;DR:

=========================================

As it is right now, you gain rest XP (which doubles everything you kill) while:

• Logged off in an unsafe area (Like the wilderness, outside a Cantina/Fleet)
  • You are logged in, Inside at the Fleet
  • You are dead

As someone who doesn't play all the time, I find my character is always rested, even with logging off outside Cantinas (I gain 2.5% rest xp of my level per day). I feel this contributes to the "leveling speed", some perceive as a problem. This rest XP is unavoidable. I think this should change.

You should NOT RECEIVE ANY rest xp:

• If logged off, outside a Cantina/Rest Zone. [Your char is unsafe]
  • While logged on, at the Fleet. [You are not resting]
  • While dead. [Perhaps it is resting? It is the "Great Big Sleep" :D]

You SHOULD RECEIVE rest xp:

• If logged off, inside a Cantina/Rest Zone. [Your char is safely logged off, in a Rest Zone]
  • If logged on, inside a Cantina/bar. [Your char is safe in a small avoidable Rest Zone, socializing]
  • *Both of these may be increased to compensate for the lost stuff above, and provide incentive to hanging out in bars.

=========================================

Edits due to:

Best attempt now at the most concise possible form. You are welcome to look at page 3 for my original post. No more in-depth theory. It really just comes down to:

The longer it takes you to get to 50, is the more content you'll have to go through. This is crucial for providing players with an enjoyable, online MMO experience. Working towards a goal.

I think this is gonna be one of those posts that will never be recognized because the solution to a problem that doesn't exist is just insane.

Gosh. Really? How did you read my post and respond in 2 minutes? Did you mean, it was too much to bother reading, so it seemed like a complicated solution? It's a pretty small fix, yet has a far-reaching impact to promote the longevity of the game.

Take off your gear! Run gray quests! Make alts! Quit whining! Let them fix higher priority bugs! Skip content! Stop being a completionist! Log off outside rest areas!

I do a lot of these already. Look, we may disagree and you like the game the way it is. I'd never ask them to change that on you. This is why I'm not calling for a global XP cut to everyone. I would just like an option to play the game at my pace and not have it auto-level me.

I too wish to see high priority bugs fixed. Once they are addressed, peoples' suggestions are going to be key for growing this game for the masses. It's why MMO's of today have so many great, fun features.

What makes an MMO "massive", is to have it appeal to a massive number of people, not just one person.

Edited by Lauski

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure of the implications of such a thing, but it might be nice if, as players, we could toggle some settings in preferences. Such things like, -30% xp cut / -20% xp cut / -10% xp cut / no rest xp, and maybe even a disable xp gain option altogether.

I am not sure of the implications of such a thing, but it might be nice if, as players, we could toggle some settings in preferences. Such things like, -30% xp cut / -20% xp cut / -10% xp cut / no rest xp, and maybe even a disable xp gain option altogether.

Or you could, just, you know, not worry about XP and do whatever you wanted. It all evens out in the end.

What they should do is make you log out in a cantina to get normal XP and then once you use that up you get less XP due to fatigue. This is a great system that dumbfounds wannabes and pretend old-schoolers with tremendous ease.

I'm confused. Rested XP accumulates slowly in the game and makes a very very small difference in leveling speed.

If you don't want to out level content, don't run Warzones.

You'd probably be surprised if you don't log in for several days at some point.

And just check my post, really, I'm not running anything any more other than the main quest line.

You can still do quests below your level, they'll be a bit easier but that's about it.

This.

While I don't really like the fact that most of my enemies are consistently granting me negligible experience because I'm always 5ish levels over every zone I'm in, I just do all the quests because this is a story game and accept the fact that I'll be facerolling enemies.

Stop whining. If you want to do gray quests, you can, you know that right? You're not deprived of anything.

Oh that's a great idea! Run content I'm over-leveled for all the way until level 50? I'm casual, but I don't want to LOLSAUCE every quest.

If I want to take my time with the game, that should be an option I have.

Doesn't rest XP only boost combat XP? I thought I read that somewhere. I have been playing since early release as well and I haven't noticed that it sends me through the roof with my characters. I never seem to accumulate too much and it gets used early and often.

I have 3 level 20-somethings and a bunch of scrubs 10<. It has not done anything for me and I actually find it a pain to find a cantina to log out in sometimes. Especially if I have already used my 'recall' to cash in some missions.

I don't see this as an issue. It's a nice-to-have and is limited enough so that it isn't abused.

Oh that's a great idea! Run content I'm over-leveled for all the way until level 50? I'm casual, but I don't want to LOLSAUCE every quest.

If I want to take my time with the game, that should be an option I have.

You do have the option, obviously. You just acknowledged it.

Have you been playing since 3 days before release? Do just have one character you've created? Is that ONE character only level 26? If not, understand that you might not FULLY be able to appreciate what I'm saying.

If you wish to respond, please take the time to see what the situation of casual players is:

TL;DR:

=================

You should NOT RECEIVE ANY rest xp:

• If logged off, outside a Cantina/Rest Zone. [Your char is unsafe]
  • While logged on, inside a Cantina/Rest Zone. [You are not resting, you're logged in]

You SHOULD RECEIVE rest xp:

• If logged off, inside a Cantina/Rest Zone. [Your char is safe in a Rest Zone]

=================

Rest XP in essence, is the game "playing itself for you"...

This is the real reason why some people think the leveling speed is too fast, and others don't. If you are a casual player and don't log in that much like me, the system as-is deprives you of questing/adventuring/flashpoint/heroics fun!

Just SKIP content? What?

I want enjoy just as much content as someone who plays every day. Keep in MIND... my suggestion still allows people who like leveling tons of alts simultaneously & quickly... to do so! Keep them logged off in Rest Zones... No change to the system as is.

Just log off outside rest ares...

I already do! Since level 17 when I started noticing this problem! My changes give the players the NEEDED option to play the game HOW THEY WANT. I'm tired of leaving behind half the the content of a planet unexplored, no space missions run, no participation in PVP, and a single run through flashpoints, only to still keep going to the next planet, 5 levels ahead....

But in all other MMO's, you make rest XP outside safe areas...

You have to remember that SWTOR is quite different than other MMOs. They have done a great job with their game! There's no such thing as grinding tons of MOBs. SWTOR has been carefully designed from the ground up to already have more than enough fun things to do, and for us to achieve L50 quite easily. Rest XP keeps pushing me levels ahead of where the mission developers planned for me to be.

But I like being logged in, socializing and making rest XP, or just working the GTN in the Fleet and making rest xp.

I hear you. I understand. I don't want my suggestion that helps the casuals to hurt your style. I would be fine if Bioware decided to INCREASE logged off Rest-zone XP to make up for lost UNSAFE Rest Xp.

In addition if you REALLY want rest xp while logged in and socializing, let's say for the Fleets, you can't make rest XP any more in them anywhere, except the bars? Suddenly, guess what you have for people that just want to socialize? A -REASON- to go hang out at the bars! Make it double the Rest XP... make it give people something to get excited about meeting others over instead of just running around like ships passing in the night!

There are lots of other possibilities to easily make this work. Bioware, please hear my plea. It usually takes me many months to beat simple single player games. Please allow casuals to go at their own pace, and get full enjoyment from your product!

Spacebar

I think this is gonna be one of those posts that will never be recognized because the solution to a problem that doesn't exist is just insane.

Maybe it won't get recognized, but the solution is pretty easy, honestly isn't it?

Trust me, I've evaluated this from a lot of angles.

Besides the hyperbole of the title, I'm not following what the problem is, either.

To me, the weirdest thing about rest XP is that I almost never seem to lose it. I don't know if it's a bug or only a very small number of things actually use it up, but I tend to find I nearly always have some green left (even logging out in random places).