10 unit max X Y axis movement is insane. Huge Fail!

-Damask-

This X, Y movement margin is utterly retarded! Whether its a small green square or a centerpiece or starship hook its still only 10 pixels we can move them? That's insane! There are floor narrow blue hooks where we cant even move the couch to the side enough to get it centered in front of the wall! Given how badly this hinders us from being creative and how easy this is to fix this is a bad joke.

We can't even set up the tatooine cantina bar properly if we want to put it in a corner because it is so huge and can only move 10 places. This is ridiculous!!

Just set the max X, Y movement to like 100 for small hooks and like 1000 for large hooks. From a programming standpoint there's no reason why we shouldn't be able to adjust the position to wherever we want. Positioning it 10 pixels away from center takes just as much memory and resources as 87 pixels would. IDK why you devs didn't just play wildstar for a day and copy their housing setup. I guess universal positioning, x,y,z axis and size scaling were just too many manhours for bioware :( You guys need to learn a thing or two about reverse engineering!

Seriously, if we have 6 speeders to display, but only have 5 hooks, why the **** can't we just use a hook from the other side of the room and adjust the position to +48x, +25y or whatever and move the speeder to where we need it? This is a huge oversight and theres no good reason for it.

This is as bad an oversight as when you decided to leave out a way for us to manage our attack debuff icons in a operations environment. You could have said "ok so the bottom row of the 5 rows of debuffs on the boss belongs to the player" problem solved! 5 extra minutes of coding, saves us a lifetime of grief... It's just people being lazy- PLEASE FIX THIS!

Fixing this will pretty much alleviate a large portion of the fail which was implemented when you decided to go with hooks in the first place.

If we absolutely positively have to have hooks, the least you can do with this flawed system is let us put stuff where we want by letting us adjust the position a reasonable amount.

Edited by -Damask-

If you jump from the lower balconies on the Nar Shadaaa over to the ledge outside the antechamber window, and look into the antechamber from the outside, you'll see that there is nothing beyond the door that leads to the mainroom, you just see the Nar Shaddaa background. You'll also see this in some questing areas and flashpoints, if you leave the normal path, one step and suddenly half the room vanishes.

I think that's the reason for the short distance: The areas are divided in visibility-zones, and the engine only draws the models the player can currently see. For Strongholds the only fixed part for the engine is the hook, so once you leave the visibility-zone of a hook, the object placed on it will no longer be drawn. If you could move the object 1000 units away from its hook it may be possible that the player can actually see the object vanish and re-appear.

That said, a moderately increased distance, say 20-50, shouldn't be that much of a problem and would help us a lot.

If you jump from the lower balconies on the Nar Shadaaa over to the ledge outside the antechamber window, and look into the antechamber from the outside, you'll see that there is nothing beyond the door that leads to the mainroom, you just see the Nar Shaddaa background. You'll also see this in some questing areas and flashpoints, if you leave the normal path, one step and suddenly half the room vanishes.

I think that's the reason for the short distance: The areas are divided in visibility-zones, and the engine only draws the models the player can currently see. For Strongholds the only fixed part for the engine is the hook, so once you leave the visibility-zone of a hook, the object placed on it will no longer be drawn. If you could move the object 1000 units away from its hook it may be possible that the player can actually see the object vanish and re-appear.

That said, a moderately increased distance, say 20-50, shouldn't be that much of a problem and would help us a lot.

That's not how it works. The entire room is a functional area.

Even if something ends up outside the room, you can just drag it back in through the hook.

But with the greater mobility you can make far more amazing things.

I struggled a lot with making a good looking toilet, and my greatest issue were the hooks and the tiny amount you can move objects in them.

Same with my Kitchen.

50 is indeed a stable and logical amount.

Edited by Gurluas

The reason is, you can't move an object's center past the overall layout of that hook. You can test this yourself with cargo bays and the small hook. Try moving the cargo bay out to +/- 10 in any direction, go to another hook and then come back to that one. You'll see that the cargo bay is reset to +/- 9 instead of 10. Even if they set the object wiggle to +/- 1,000,000,000 you could never set the center of the object off the hook, it will always reset so that the center is on the hook in the direction you wiggled it.

While I agree that the +/-10 on the medium narrow in the long direction, medium, large, centerpiece and starship hooks it too little given the actual restriction of the hooks (not being able to move the object's center off the hook), and that they should just remove all restriction of movement on the hook itself. Hooks themselves are enough of a limitation especially since the object's program point can never be moved off the hook regardless of how much of range you give players to move it.

There's another problem hidden in overly large adjustment ranges. To adjust the position again, you have to click on the hook, not the object. If you could use any hook in the room to place objects anywhere, it would become difficult to remember which object is on which hook.

Still, I agree that the range should be increased somewhat, especially for larger hooks. 10 units is just ridiculously small compared to a large hook, let alone a centerpiece.

I think the reason why they made it only 10 by 10 was cause of how the hooks work, they wanted the pieces to be closest as possible to the hook so people dont easily get confused as to which hook they placed it on before. My idea was they should have just followed Swgs way of decorating where you place the item down at your feet then move it x by x any amount with no hooks

Right, I'm not saying we should need to use a hook from the entryway to display an item in the garage, but we should certainly be able to move an item to anywhere else in the room in which the hook resides. I really don't care if it takes me a minute to find which items go with which hooks. If its a little frustrating I don't care because I can actually put stuff where I want it and I have no one to blame but myself if I confuse myself. Given how much this would help us be able to set up our SH the way we want to, and not be limited to random and inconvenient hook placement, the benefits gained would far outweigh the possible negatives.

For example- I have 14 Aratech speeders. I can only display 11 of them on the balcony of my DK/Cor apartment because of the stupid hook placement. If we could move a reasonable amount, I could use the extra 4 blue rectangle hooks by the landing pad ramp and put my additional 3 Aratechs on those and adjust the X,Y to put them in line with the other 11. As it is now I have to compromise and it looks like crap.

For such a minor change that would take the devs maybe 5 minutes we would gain so much.

And if people are really so simple that they cant keep track of what item goes with what hook, and bioware cant think of a better way to do that (like clicking the actual item) then just add a setting in preferences that lets us change the max hook X,Y values. People can opt to change it or leave it alone if they like.

Also the 1000 was a suggestion for the centerpiece and starship hooks. Since they are so large to begin with, they would need a much larger adjustment value. Go try to use the 10 place adjustment on a starship and tell me why the hell that's even there at all?!? It's totally worthless lol

Edited by -Damask-

Jesus now I cant even use my Droid engineer's workbench because of this retarded restriction and the fact that you can only put it in a floor large hook and it cant even move far enough to be flush against the wall. Its hanging out in the middle of the room and it looks like crap.

BIOWARE. FIX THIS. PLEASE!

Nobody can tell me that there is any good reason why these 4 speeders cant be lined up in a row side by side- that that would somehow break the game or cause terrible lag!

http://i.imgur.com/7XfADt1.jpg

Hell I cant even center them in the landing because of these silly hooks and the insane lack of adjustment they've given us! Really, ffs, it would take them 5 min to fix! Somewhere in the game code there's two variables called: xadjmax and yadjmax, or something similar. All they have to do is go in there, change them from 10 to 100 and they are done! Hit compile... Takes less than 10 seconds! Everyone's happy!

Edited by -Damask-

Nobody can tell me that there is any good reason why these 4 speeders cant be lined up in a row side by side- that that would somehow break the game or cause terrible lag!

http://i.imgur.com/7XfADt1.jpg

Hell I cant even center them in the landing because of these silly hooks and the insane lack of adjustment they've given us! Really, ffs, it would take them 5 min to fix! Somewhere in the game code there's two variables called: xadjmax and yadjmax, or something similar. All they have to do is go in there, change them from 10 to 100 and they are done! Hit compile... Takes less than 10 seconds! Everyone's happy!

Yeah. It's bad enough we are stuck with a hook system. The fact the hooks are so poorly implemented only adds insult to injury.

Lots of empty space on the floors with no hook points. Items locked to specific types of hooks. Very limited movement range. Very limited hook layout options.

Plus some similar looking items have different hook requirements.

The corellian stardrive series of speeders as well as the Irakie series have different hook point requirements for example.

All of this could be solved by getting rid of the hooks altogether. :rolleyes::D

(it really is needed)

We all know nobody is going to unsub. Despite wildstar having 1000x better housing the rest of the game kinda sucks. Why they didn't just steal their setup I have no idea. However the Star Wars name and the time I've already invested will probably keep me here for a while. Also I would like to get up to a billion credits before I quit.

What I'm not going to do however is bother to even attempt to decorate my other 3 SHs until they let me put stuff where I want to. So I'm just going to sit here and NOT spend any cartel coins on any more decorations. If bioware wants that to change its all in their hands. Very simple solution.

Edited by -Damask-