An in-depth look at: Force Powers- Psychometry

Aurbere

Two Morgukai against one wounded Jedi? Seems unfair. Would it help if I closed my eyes?- Quinlan Vos, practitioner of Psychometry

Psychometry is the ability to read inanimate objects through the Force to see past events. The ability is only limited to a certain number of species. The Kiffu Jedi Quinlan Vos is one of the most notable practitioners of Psychometry. His Jedi Master Tholme discusses his first encounter with Quinlan as well as Quinlan's ability in the following recording...

Before my return to Kiffu, Tinte Vos- without the consent of her brother- had forced Quinlan to hold an emblem that his mother had been wearing when she died. Tinte Vos told him it was the only way to find out what killed his parents. What she didn't tell him is that death experiences are very vivid, and that touching such objects can be hazardous to psychometrics.

By holding his mothers emblem, Quinlan learned that his parents had intercepted a ship of Anzati who were trying to land on Kiffex. His parents attempted to arrest the Anzati, but despite their Guardian training they were unable to overcome an attack from the thirsty beings. The shock of seeing the Anzati feast on his parents' essence was beyond overwhelming.

By the time I found Quinlan, he'd been screaming for three days. It wasn't until I used Jedi healing techniques that I knew that we could draw his mind back from his mother's grave. The boy was shattered, and Sheyf Kurlin was appalled by what his sister had done. When I told the Sheyf that only Jedi training would enable the boy to face and master his newly and deeply instilled fear of the Anzati, he readily agreed to allow me to bring Quinlan to Coruscant.

Quinlan was my first Padawan. Though I was sometimes at a loss to advise him on the best use of his psychometric talents, I did teach him to be a Jedi. I taught him to carry the light within him. If one sense a darkness about Quinlan, remember his experience as a child, but trust that I also trained him how to walk in shadows.

Psychometry is a dangerous ability, as experiencing visions of death can drive many insane. The ability can be very useful in Jedi investigations. Psychometry is a very useful, but dangerous tool. If a Psychometric follows a vision to the death of the person who last held the object, their minds could be lost or destroyed. Psychometry is also heavily discouraged on the dead. While dead bodies are considered non-sentient, the use of Psychometry on the dead can cause the Psychometric to follow the subject to death.

My opinion? The rare ability of Psychometry is useful, but should be used with the utmost caution.

I hope you enjoyed our look at Psychometry. The next subject is Battle Meditation.

If you have a topic you would like to see in the future, post them below of PM me.

Yes, I remember Quinlan used this to track down that Hutt in an episode of the Clone Wars. I look forward to battle meditation!

Which season was that? I stopped watching it for a while after the Malevolence arc. Not because I had any ill thoughts of the show, but because I only wanted to see Plo Koon lol :D

Which season was that? I stopped watching it for a while after the Malevolence arc. Not because I had any ill thoughts of the show, but because I only wanted to see Plo Koon lol :D

It was called "Hunt for Ziro" (remember Ziro the Hutt?) Season 3, Episode 9. Quinlan Vos was poorly done though, he wasn't dark at all. But hey, maybe I'm wrong.

It was called "Hunt for Ziro" (remember Ziro the Hutt?) Season 3, Episode 9. Quinlan Vos was poorly done though, he wasn't dark at all. But hey, maybe I'm wrong.

Yeah he seems more of the jokester type in that vid. Not at all like the troubled Jedi we see in other works. I'll have to watch the whole episode to be sure, though.