Am I missing something with Artifice?

martymart

Or is it basically just a dead worthless profession?

Dyes aren't worth/don't sell for anywhere near the price of just selling the components to make them.

The amount of crystal colors we can make is really, really limited (and then I see the cartel market and it has more crystal colors there than an entire profession can even craft, so why would anyone buy my crystals when they can just use their coins to get whatever color they want?).

No cool looking lightsaber hilts that people want to buy. I've broken down SO MUCH STUFF and never gotten a single new recipe....

I'm 700/700/700 on my artifice, arch, and treasure hunting. Just really disappointed with how pitiful this profession is.

Am I missing something here? Is anyone else happy/unhappy with this dead profession? and if so, why/why not?

You can make a fortune selling dyes, several people here do. It might depend on the dye, not sure tbh, I don't do it myself. As for the components, if they are selling for more than the dyes, you still need artifice to make them, so it's still useful that way. Some of the crystals are unique, and have three colours, which some people like. Not everyone goes for the CM ones. Not to mention the stuff to craft for CQ. IMH opinion, it still has value, but other may disagree. Edited by DarkTergon

About all I use Artifice for is making dyes for my own use. 🤔

Dyes, augments, and medpacs are about all I craft, these days. And just for my own use, not to sell.

I used to make all the high level medpacks, stims etc, from bio when I did ops, and stuff, but lately I don't bother, as I just play casual content, it's not really needed.

I still make dyes for myself, but I mostly do just CQ stuff nowadays

Or is it basically just a dead worthless profession?

Dyes aren't worth/don't sell for anywhere near the price of just selling the components to make them.

The amount of crystal colors we can make is really, really limited (and then I see the cartel market and it has more crystal colors there than an entire profession can even craft, so why would anyone buy my crystals when they can just use their coins to get whatever color they want?).

No cool looking lightsaber hilts that people want to buy. I've broken down SO MUCH STUFF and never gotten a single new recipe....

I'm 700/700/700 on my artifice, arch, and treasure hunting. Just really disappointed with how pitiful this profession is.

Am I missing something here? Is anyone else happy/unhappy with this dead profession? and if so, why/why not?

The secret to making credits with crafted dyes is to not engage in price wars and not to flood the market.

List no more than 2 of each colour and don’t list at the cheapest.

Learn the market and find out the better sellers. Then decide on price.

You won’t always sell all of them, but you can sell enough to make 100 mil a week.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Dye that is "Black and xxx" or "xxx and Black" sell good.

Black and light grey need grade 8 materials that you can collect on Yavin-4. It sells a bit cheap on gtn but it's basically free to make and you can also farm reputation for Yavin-4 in order to get the dark red and black dye schematic. One stone, two birds.

Black and deep red (Oricon) only need grade 4 materials and sells fast and good on gtn. Can make a million selling a bunch of them on a good day/price overnight. Everyone loves black and red lol

Edited by eabevella

Dye that is "Black and xxx" or "xxx and Black" sell good.

Exactly, there are so many outfits that pop when the black/x dye is added. It's why they sell so fast. And also on some outfiits a black/x dye makes it almost black, it's very hard to see the other colour, so it's cheaper than a black/black dye.

Saul & the clandestine sets pop in to mind

Edited by DarkTergon

The White Gray sells well too

Also I just learned the White Pink from the Bounty Hunter rep...it seems to be more hot and cold thought marketwise

I sell about 18 of those white pink dyes for about 3.6 million a week. And about 20 white gray for 10 million a week. I make the most on any dyes with black in them. Easily 70 mill each week on those.

But the trick is not to underlist / undercut. Find a price you want to sell at that is 20k clear of the next lowest and highest and just list 2 at a time.

You’ll see some people list 20 dyes at the cheapest price then the next will go the same till they flood the market and drive the price down. Where as I will often keep my 2 dyes 100-200k higher than the cheapest and the majority of the time they sell. Sometimes I don’t even have to craft cause I just buy the cheap ones and relist.

Of course you can try and sell like the “going outta business” dudes do and be the cheapest and flood the market, but you will have to work 20x harder for mats and time to craft and relisting 100s of dyes on many alts to make the same credits as I do following my formula of 2 dyes of each colour at a medium price. I honestly can’t remember the last time I went and farmed mats.

I used to be one of those schmucks that spent half the game time farming and crafting and relisting on 5 alts and having price wars. Then someone explained how you dont need to go that and I’ve made more credits for a 10th the work and stress.

Anyway, hopefully there’s some tidbits here that the smart people can glean from my posts to help them make Artifice work for them.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I sell about 18 of those white pink dyes for about 3.6 million a week. And about 20 white gray for 10 million a week. I make the most on any dyes with black in them. Easily 70 mill each week on those.

But the trick is not to underlist / undercut. Find a price you want to sell at that is 20k clear of the next lowest and highest and just list 2 at a time.

You’ll see some people list 20 dyes at the cheapest price then the next will go the same till they flood the market and drive the price down. Where as I will often keep my 2 dyes 100-200k higher than the cheapest and the majority of the time they sell. Sometimes I don’t even have to craft cause I just buy the cheap ones and relist.

Of course you can try and sell like the “going outta business” dudes do and be the cheapest and flood the market, but you will have to work 20x harder for mats and time to craft and relisting 100s of dyes on many alts to make the same credits as I do following my formula of 2 dyes of each colour at a medium price. I honestly can’t remember the last time I went and farmed mats.

I used to be one of those schmucks that spent half the game time farming and crafting and relisting on 5 alts and having price wars. Then someone explained how you dont need to go that and I’ve made more credits for a 10th the work and stress.

Anyway, hopefully there’s some tidbits here that the smart people can glean from my posts to help them make Artifice work for them.

It's not always about how cheap .. but finding that spot in the market where you're happy with the margin you get -vs- time invested !!

It's not always about how cheap .. but finding that spot in the market where you're happy with the margin you get -vs- time invested !!

Exactly, I do that with most things, I don't always list them as the lowest, if it's an item that has gone for more before, and I know the price will raise, I list it at that price, wait for the cheaper stuff to go, and mine will sell, sometimes it might take a couple of listing, but it does go. And as trixie says, if something is really cheap, buy it up, and flip a couple at a time. As long as you don't flood the market, you won't kill it.

Exactly 😊👍

Since a discussion I had with someone back in January about pricing and how people value items, I changed how I list and made billions of credits because people don’t always buy the cheapest.

Some people see things too cheap and won’t buy them. But a day later will see them at triple the price and buy 2 because they think they must be good if they’re that price.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

In other MMO's, people are very, very tight lipped about what makes them money, but not here. I really, really appreciate the advice freely given. You're helping me make my way to prosperity! :jawa_smile: Edited by martymart

In other MMO's, people are very, very tight lipped about what makes them money, but not here. I really, really appreciate the advice freely given. You're helping me make my way to prosperity! :jawa_smile:

People are tight-lipped for a good reason. Demand is fairly fixed within each server, and the profits are zero-sum, within each server. If you make more, others of us will make less.

I just hope to God that you are not on my same server. Much respect to Trixx, but I wish he/she had kept his/her mouth shut :(:(:(

People are tight-lipped for a good reason. Demand is fairly fixed within each server, and the profits are zero-sum, within each server. If you make more, others of us will make less.

I just hope to God that you are not on my same server. Much respect to Trixx, but I wish he/she had kept his/her mouth shut :(:(:(

I think he's referring to other MMO's not servers. The advice given out here, can be used on any server. I've no problem people listening to any advice, the more people who make money, the more people who spend it. Not only that, but even if I stopped selling on the gtn, I've made enough to keep me going, buying new stuff on the gtn till the game ends. So if people take the advice offered and make money, fair play to them.

In other MMO's, people are very, very tight lipped about what makes them money, but not here. I really, really appreciate the advice freely given. You're helping me make my way to prosperity! :jawa_smile:

Yea, most people will help you here on SWTOR. There are a few people that can be rude about it. The servers are pretty good and we can all make money and I have and have no problem explaining what I do with the dyes. Good luck and just ignore those that are rude.

The trick is know your market. I used to craft augments a few updates ago and knew what the value was so I'd craft some and if there were a couple of idiots trying to undercut each other and driving the price down I'd just wait until the lowballers cleared out.

The other thing with knowing the value is to keep checking the market. Legendary embers can be sold right at 625K anytime of the week so when I saw that they were on GTN for 900K ...

Right now I have an item on GTN that is selling for over 100M more than they are worth (that's right, M) Took me about 2 seconds to post it on GTN

I just came back and now I have to re-learn the market for dyes.

Sold off the three black-black dyes I had bought at a discount for a rainy day to make around 250 million... but now I'm checking out the GTN to see where the prices are for dyes. And which dyes are popular (not that I expect much to change there)

Time to start figuring out the decent sell prices again while ignoring the low-cutters.

Nothing is more infuriating than having posted a couple of a certain dye at, say, 100k, one immediately sells for that, then some moron posts 4 of the same one for 85k, and another clown posts 3 more at 75k. Like, why? Nobody wins, they don't sell any faster at that price. I don't get it. Edited by MagikFingerz

The way I see it, Bioware should stop selling Colored crystals, Hilts & Dyes on the Cartel Market altogether, these should all be craftable, if it wasn't for that Artifice would actually make a profit.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 oh wait, you're being serious.... let me add a few more 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Decos are probably their biggest seller, but dyes are quite high too, not to mention hilts, and crystals, why would they give that up, just so we can craft....

Not to mention ALSO....Artifice can make quite a bit if you've smart enough to watch the market, and craft what sells.

Edited by DarkTergon