The Contraband Slot Machine

EricMusco

I think I posted recently in a form of comic relief but it's hard to believe anyone is taking it seriously anymore

You're still bumping it.

And, wait ... wait ... you just did it again.

If you really thought this thread should be done, you'd stop posting in it.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why would you do that?

Because AC change is a very important topic to bran, and that's what this whole thread is about...CHOICE! Right?! Or was this the "low slash" thread? :confused:

Edited by TUXs

I get that for some of you it's trolly thing to keep this topic going but it's looking kinda stupid now to be honest. Just sayin ...

Nothing looks dumber and more blatant than your desire to keep the machine nerfed because it threathens your cartel whailing :sul_grin:

Edited by Pietrastor

You're still bumping it.

And, wait ... wait ... you just did it again.

If you really thought this thread should be done, you'd stop posting in it.

Where did I say that? Watching trolls be trolling can be rather humorous at times.

I just think anyone who doesn't think Bioware are finding this whole thread ( and the attempts to keep it on the main page ) as equally as humorous and seriosally think Bioware are going to do anything based on this thread are somewhat delusional.

Nothing looks dumber and more blatant than your desire to keep the machine nerfed because it threathens your cartel whailing :sul_grin:

Yep 1600 CM items to sell and counting, millions made every day as a result. In fact I boguht the last 2 constable stronghold hypercrates I could find on the GTN yesterday, the contents of those things are worth ridiculous amounts of credits at the moment.

Add to that the people who sell cartel items stupidly cheap under the usual market price allowing me to buy them out and make even more credits ... who needs the mats market to keep rich? I just send me companions out on purchased mission discoveries each day simply because I might as well use them for something. Give me another 100 GTN slots and maybe I'd even start crafting again.

I don't even give a crap what happens to mats any more to be honest I just thought the old machine drop rate was somewhat poorly thought out and guaranteed it would be nerfed at the time and turns out I was right because wow it got nerfed.

One of the only things I agree with on the whole slot topic is that it was nerfed into being practically useless and there was no communication stating this was going to be the case.

One of the only things I agree with on the whole slot topic is that it was nerfed into being practically useless and there was no communication stating this was going to be the case.

I think that's the one thing we can all agree on.

And that's the reason why I at least try and keep this thread alive.

Even if people just come by to laugh at me, that is fine.

I would just like an answer as to how this level of change was thought to be "Accordingly"?

Accordingly, adverb, 1. in a way that is appropriate to the particular circumstances.

I was pretty shocked myself!

I was actually trying to max out my reputation when I got the wild display with the disco ball and all the twinkling lights.

Then I realized I had gotten a Cartel Cert.

So they do still drop, eventually.

I was pretty shocked myself!

I was actually trying to max out my reputation when I got the wild display with the disco ball and all the twinkling lights.

Then I realized I had gotten a Cartel Cert.

So they do still drop, eventually.

I've got a tad over 200 from cartel packs alone, a shame i can't share them. :p

I would just like an answer as to how this level of change was thought to be "Accordingly"?

Accordingly, adverb, 1. in a way that is appropriate to the particular circumstances.

Hmm, Well, as I see it, there were 4 nerfs to the slot machine

1. Green scrap: eh, does it matter? Nerf bat may have hit a bit hard, but probably in the "appropriate" bounds.

2. Blue scrap: Who cares, if I need blue materials (doubtful, easy to swim in them if you run missions) I can run a mission and get them easily. " appropriate

3. Purple scrap: Appropriate (see below)

4. Cartel Certs: - Over the top, stealth and imo inappropriate. I'll grant anyone who was/is still upset this one.

I'm a crafter. I craft many things and sell them on the GTN. When the nerfs were about to hit, a fellow crafter guildy and I discussed this. I believed the machine needed to be nerfed significantly (even tho it was to my advantage it NOT be). He did not.

I felt that it made running TH/UT/Dip/Slicing/Inv missions obsolete. Why would anyone run a mission that rarely returned the purple mats I wanted at a price significantly higher than the slots and an uncertain but VERY LONG time frame?

His response was that at most, the change should bring the slot cost for purple jawa junk to about the same as typical level 11 purple mat cost.

Me, I think that I would never again have run TH/UT/Dip/Slicing/Inv missions ever again unless the nerf was about as extreme as it has been.

Case in point. I am in need of Mytag crystals, I am down to less than 10 in my inventory. For the past 6 days I have run one mission "Tumbling Down" the level 9 Rich Gemstone mission on two toons (this is the only rich gemstone mission available, btw). One with max affection and +5 crit the other with max affection and +2 Crit. Totals so far: 305 rainbow gems, 0 mytags.

Yes, it is RNG. Yes, I'm having an extremely bad spell. But, I've had these bad spells before, I know they happen. Why would I ever go through this frustration if I could just spin the cartel slot for a while and get 20 or 30 jawa junk. Even if the slots were 5 or 6 times the average cost it would be if I had run missions, I'd never run another mission to get purple mats again. From a game design standpoint this seems bad.

Therefore, I think the nerf to purple jawa junk was "appropriate to the particular circumstances". They had to hit the nerf bat hard or I think people in droves (those who bother running the missions at all, that is) would give up running those missions entirely. In my personal best interest? No way. In the games best interest and "appropriate to the particular circumstances"? I think so.

Totals so far: 305 rainbow gems, 0 mytags.

Yes, it is RNG. Yes, I'm having an extremely bad spell. But, I've had these bad spells before, I know they happen. Why would I ever go through this frustration if I could just spin the cartel slot for a while and get 20 or 30 jawa junk. Even if the slots were 5 or 6 times the average cost it would be if I had run missions, I'd never run another mission to get purple mats again. From a game design standpoint this seems bad.

Therefore, I think the nerf to purple jawa junk was "appropriate to the particular circumstances". They had to hit the nerf bat hard or I think people in droves (those who bother running the missions at all, that is) would give up running those missions entirely. In my personal best interest? No way. In the games best interest and "appropriate to the particular circumstances"? I think so.

Not sure why it is in the "best interest" of the game to be frustrating. Your observation that people would give up the companion missions in "droves" makes me think the current game crafting design - rather that a more convenient alternative - is what is actually flawed. I can understand protecting companion missions from the threat of a slot machine if the companion missions had some entertainment value. But really, why not replace companion missions with a quicker, more convenient, more social and less frustrating alternative? What would be lost?

Not sure why it is in the "best interest" of the game to be frustrating. Your observation that people would give up the companion missions in "droves" makes me think the current game crafting design - rather that a more convenient alternative - is what is actually flawed. I can understand protecting companion missions from the threat of a slot machine if the companion missions had some entertainment value. But really, why not replace companion missions with a quicker, more convenient, more social and less frustrating alternative? What would be lost?

What would be lost if we could just buy all the items we need for 100 credits each at a vendor ?

Ah, that is a different point. I assume the original devs put thought into the planned scarcity of purple materials. The slot machine in the original version totally broke that design. Am I a fan or supporter of the current RNG only method,? No. Do I think keeping some materials more scarce than others makes sense? Well, most every MMO I know of does, so I suspect there is a good reason to do so from an economic perspective.

What would be lost if we could just buy all the items we need for 100 credits each at a vendor ?

Well - that would not be good. But that is a rather extreme leap from the current discussion.

Replacing only companion missions with a less annoying, more social and more entertaining alternative - an alternative that could easily maintain a cost structure and ratio of materials scarcity as exists now - that doesn't seem to have much of a downside for me.

What would be lost if we did away with crafting/gathering altogether then and just had everything we needed premade and cheap from a vendor?

I think many in this thread are hoping for that, but not expecting it.

And those not so much "in" the thread as well. (I click on it each time to see what people have been saying but I've only posted in this thread a few times.)

Although really I think the necessary changes to really fix anything go way beyond just tweaking a few drop rates.

Edited by Muljo_Stpho

Have not posted here before in this thread, but I feel like I have to now. I think the nerf might have been somewhat necessary, nevertherless it feels like the slot machine is now mostly good to get the reputation up and once that is done it starts to feel rather useless. With the Jawa scraps it seemed like the machine will always be useful, so the slot machine is now missing something like that in usefullness, maybe an incresed rate of cartel certificates could fix that?