Maps and Navigation

CourtneyWoods

In our new series of “Quick Start Guides,” Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Social Media Coordinator Eric Musco helps new players to better understand certain aspects of the game. The second video in this series, “Maps and Navigation,” will teach players how to use their maps, and give helpful tips on how to travel the galaxy with ease.

Watch Now

I would have liked to hear discussion on x,y coordinate systems and if a /waypoint feature is (or will be) available. All the other stuff in this video seemed so basic that newbs naturally discover these on their own.

I would have liked to hear discussion on x,y coordinate systems and if a /waypoint feature is (or will be) available. All the other stuff in this video seemed so basic that newbs naturally discover these on their own.

+1, that would be really useful. Currently, I just wave the mouse around the map until I find the waypoint of where I'm supposed to be going, then head in that general direction... lol

Does it explain how people who have been traveling through space for thousands of years have incomplete maps of their own neighborhood? Fog of war is so stupid in this game. I landed on this planet from a space ship, seriously let me take a polaroid on the way down.

Making this tutorial was a waste of time, it just shows all that's lacking in the actual system:

• We can't browse the maps seamlessly
  • We can only check the maps of the planets we are on
  • Zoom is inconvenient
  • Fading map when moving does not hides the now useless legend, mission tracker, world minimap and borders
  • We can't resize the map
  • We can't move around the map frame
  • We can't create our own waypoints
  • There's no way to select multiple point of interests at once
  • There's no difference between already done(or not) repeatable quests makers
  • All crafting nodes have the same icon
  • We can't choose whether to rotate the map or the compass
  • The map radar does not display enemies
  • There's no scale consistency between all maps

Don't think highlighting such a lacking feature was a good idea.

Edited by Deewe

I can figure out what Eric Musco was trying to say in the Maps and Navagation video ( http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/maps-and-navigation ). But what really occurs is the world/planet map does not "filter" icons; the correct term he may be searching for is toggle.

Filter is applied to maps for having all or some of the icons possible to be on or off whenever you want on the world/planet map... and that is just not a capability I know of in game currently.

Making this tutorial was a waste of time, it just shows all that's lacking in the actual system:

• Zoom is inconvenient
  • Fading map when moving does not hides the now useless legend, mission tracker, world minimap and borders
  • There's no difference between already done repeatable quests makers

While I don't agree with all points here most are very good. I can live without the map displaying enemies unless you are actively fighting them and moving the map around the frame.

I strongly agree with all the other points.

Also perhaps this is the wrong place to ask but since Social Media Coordinator Eric Musco did the video. I am wondering what he has against Google +. Seems like Facebook and Twitter are all that's here. EA nor Bioware have no presence in G+.

FIX the Bugs like the 9000 Error

thanks to your

Customer Support my PC all most blew up get them educated to avoid such mistakes in the future

I have no idea why Lucas Arts picked you to do the old republic each week you update and patch this MMO but instead it gets better its get worse

So all i see is the promises you made at E3/Gamescom wher false

Superior Quality (Where)

Superior Support (Where)

If you do not get your act together soon you will share the fate of SWG

I pay for the time in the old republic and I expect a working server not to be disconnected without warning

And these are Facts so do something about and that yesterday

While I don't agree with all points here most are very good. I can live without the map displaying enemies unless you are actively fighting them and moving the map around the frame.

I strongly agree with all the other points.

Also perhaps this is the wrong place to ask but since Social Media Coordinator Eric Musco did the video. I am wondering what he has against Google +. Seems like Facebook and Twitter are all that's here. EA nor Bioware have no presence in G+.

You have a point.

Let's say the minimap could be linked to a personal scanner:

• Green/round icon = friendly transponder
  • Red/triangle icon = opposite faction transponder
  • Grey/Squared icon = neutral or unidentified

What I find annoying with the map is - suppose I want to find a mailbox. I pull up the main map, and select the mailbox tag. I would then expect this to put an icon up for all mailboxes on the map.

It doesn't.

It only puts up icons for mailboxes in a certain range. Usually only ones I can already see. This means that when I really need it (because I can't see/find what I'm looking for) it's pretty useless.

This seems to apply for all types of icon.

I absolutely love the map system.

Fade while moving allows me to travel without getting lost, which is huge to a directionally challenged person like myself.

I didn't know about the magnifying glass, so for imparting tips the video accomplished it's mission for me.

Alodar :)

I absolutely love the map system.

Fade while moving allows me to travel without getting lost, which is huge to a directionally challenged person like myself.

I didn't know about the magnifying glass, so for imparting tips the video accomplished it's mission for me.

Alodar :)

Looks like You'r challenged in many other ways as well.

I've had trouble with green arrows on the map trying to route me through opposite faction areas/bases to get to a destination. After it happened the first time, I paid more attention. It is annoying to travel a long distance only to discover you were routed to a opposite faction choke point and have to explore to find another way through. Level 50 turrets and guards were a pretty good deterrent to traveling the way the map was telling me to.

I've had trouble with green arrows on the map trying to route me through opposite faction areas/bases to get to a destination. After it happened the first time, I paid more attention. It is annoying to travel a long distance only to discover you were routed to a opposite faction choke point and have to explore to find another way through. Level 50 turrets and guards were a pretty good deterrent to traveling the way the map was telling me to.

I have noticed similar issues. Some planets seem to not have problems. Others are just wrong for pointing you to a quest objective location for which there is nothing marked locally.

Often the problem is the planet/world map has nothing marked. You must find transition points from world/planet map, click the transition zone icon, then switch to the correct area where the quest objective is. Then you can identify which speeder to take.

Otherwise, trying to use the world/planet map to travel directly to a quest objective seems to be broken 85 percent of the time.

It halfway worked after release, but a recent patch seems to have broken the world/planet map quest objectives markers.

For example, Nar Shaddaa began having quick travel issues... where the quick travel map had no quick travel icons. Fleet Pass, Taxi, Speeder, or walking seemed to be only method of travel for a while. It seems to be fixed now; but I believe this could have affected the world/planet map quest objective markers. Who knows, since I am not a dev. ;)

Please do not take my comments as trying to be critical. I realize BW is working as diligently as possible to fix these issues. I have placed tickets when I noticed said issues in an effort to identify problems. This response is an effort to help quell other players fears. Hope it helps.

• We can only check the maps of the planets we are on (you gain nothing from being able to see other planets maps, so why complain? I mean really, if you need to see the map then you most likely need to go there anyways!)
  • Zoom is inconvenient (So dont use it)
  • We can't resize the map (thats why you have a minimap or "radar map")
  • We can't move around the map frame(See above)
  • We can't create our own waypoints (We need this so good point)
  • There's no way to select multiple point of interests at once (id say when you can go to multiple places at once then you can choose multiple places at once, not really needed)
  • There's no difference between already done(or not) repeatable quests makers (yes this is needed)
  • All crafting nodes have the same icon (depending on what you mean, if you see the node then you must be able to use it so what does it matter if they are all the same? youll still be going to collect it either way!)
  • The map radar does not display enemies (it does when your in combat and thats all you need!!)

I see 2 really good points, a few meh points that dont make or break the game, and several petty complaints because you are to lazy to scroll over a node or you dont like the zoom option that you dont have to use to begin with...

comments in the quote!

Edited by Knuckerz

Originally Posted by Deewe

We can only check the maps of the planets we are on (you gain nothing from being able to see other planets maps, so why complain? I mean really, if you need to see the map then you most likely need to go there anyways!)

First it helps immersion to be able to do so then it would help you knowing where is actually a quest on a remote planet then in the long term it would allow you to land or recall to specific place on other planets. And finally it would let you be able to guide friends giving them direction or also know where they are.

Zoom is inconvenient (So dont use it)

And how do I see where exactly is a POI then?

We can't resize the map (thats why you have a minimap or "radar map")

The minimap doesn't let you look elsewhere than around you and you can't zoom out enough. It does not the trick

We can't move around the map frame(See above)

See above and not all players, and I dare saying, most players don't want the map in the middle of the screen. What would be even better is to be able to parse the map (an others UI elements) on separate screens for those that have 2+ monitors.

There's no way to select multiple point of interests at once (id say when you can go to multiple places at once then you can choose multiple places at once, not really needed)

Not really as in one area you find merchants, mailboxes, trainers, taxis. We need to be able to display all the looked after POI at the same time. And more than than when we select say the mailboxes we should be able to see all the one we discovered not only the one close by if ever.

All crafting nodes have the same icon (depending on what you mean, if you see the node then you must be able to use it so what does it matter if they are all the same? youll still be going to collect it either way!)

Not exactly as some characters have multiple gathering professions. So we need to be able to know what kind of node it is. And even it would help if the radar blip was displaying the subtype of node.

The map radar does not display enemies (it does when your in combat and thats all you need!!)

Not enough and isn't this a sci-fi setting? We can even expect an IFF system.

Comments above.

FIX the Bugs like the 9000 Error

thanks to your

Customer Support my PC all most blew up get them educated to avoid such mistakes in the future

I have no idea why Lucas Arts picked you to do the old republic each week you update and patch this MMO but instead it gets better its get worse

So all i see is the promises you made at E3/Gamescom wher false

Superior Quality (Where)

Superior Support (Where)

If you do not get your act together soon you will share the fate of SWG

I pay for the time in the old republic and I expect a working server not to be disconnected without warning

And these are Facts so do something about and that yesterday

1. SWG didn't shut down because it was a bad game. It shut down because all MMOs eventually do and its time had come to an end.

2. I agree that it's frustrating to be disconnected suddenly but that's probably a problem with your internet connection, not theirs.

3. Superior Quality- Yes, in my opinion its the best MMO I have ever played, and I've played a lot.

Superior Support- Yes, whenever I send an email I get a response within 24 hours.

Even though your probably just a troll looking for the reaction that you just got from me, I can't stand people who complain about this game- the game is fun and exciting to play.

Edited by ultimatesjk

• Zoom is inconvenient
  • There's no difference between already done(or not) repeatable quests makers

You stated exactly what I was thinking. You have my vote for president of the world!!!