Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A month till Onslaught, and still no specific release date?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
A month till Onslaught, and still no specific release date?

TrixxieTriss
08.08.2019 , 09:49 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by dipstik View Post
i wish they never gave us a month honestly. i really want them to test and refine and get feedback this time and i dont think they have enough time...

i would be okay with Feb...
Nah, mid November would be ok, February would be another death nail for this game.

It gives them an extra 5-6 weeks.

Celise
08.09.2019 , 02:11 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
Many of us have said the PTS testing phase has been dragged out because they aren’t getting the changes up fast enough. They really need another month at this point to get things tested properly and not rush it or there are going to be more bugs and class balance issues than ever before.

There are some major changes to how gear bonuses and these new tacticals will work. Also any new systems or changes always seem to break 3 other unintended things when they add them.

It would be better for the game to not rush or use crunch time to release in September. Players testing on the PTS aren’t going to use the Bioware famous “crunch time” to give feed back and test. All of these changes to be tested should have been ready to go back in May if they expected a September release,

I would suggest they announce a delay sooner than closer to the actual date they have in mind. Even if they need to push it a month or even into early November. I think players would ultimately prefer that over something rushed and possibly unplayable or game breaking.
And what if that is the pace they want to run at and already have all the required fixes in place? In your opinion it isn't ready, it doesn't mean to EA that they think it isn't ready. MMO games are always beta products and nothing is ever really fixed or settled on in such a game. So be it now or later it will always have problems.

Sure, releasing it a little later will lessen the impact somewhat, but it really doesn't change all that much as there will always be bugs and glitches that are going to be seen and dealt with over the next few weeks after launch if there was a delay or not, it matters not one bit.

There is just no way to tell what will happen next.

Rolodome
08.09.2019 , 02:53 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Celise View Post
That pretty much sums up the experience of following SWTOR's development. Although past experience says that the probability is what will happen next with any given update will be roughly 60-80% upsetting, until things get fixed and concerns are addressed.

That's the beauty of it. You never quite know what you're going to get. You can just be assured it will a high percentage of disappointing.

So I guess what I'm saying is, SWTOR is the video game development embodiment of a lootbox.
Clicky referral link for freebies, read how referral works.

TrixxieTriss
08.09.2019 , 03:52 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Celise View Post
And what if that is the pace they want to run at and already have all the required fixes in place? In your opinion it isn't ready, it doesn't mean to EA that they think it isn't ready. MMO games are always beta products and nothing is ever really fixed or settled on in such a game. So be it now or later it will always have problems.

Sure, releasing it a little later will lessen the impact somewhat, but it really doesn't change all that much as there will always be bugs and glitches that are going to be seen and dealt with over the next few weeks after launch if there was a delay or not, it matters not one bit.

Common, really? You are going to take that stance after it’s been proven that every single time they release new content it has problems. Especially if it’s major content that has to do with class balance and gear and new abilities.
They don’t even know how this stuff will work out because they put it up on the pts for 2 days then take it down.
Players can’t test balance or changes that fast. We don’t play “crunch time” development.

The issue for me isn’t that it will have bugs. That’s a forgone conclusion.
The problem is they have not allowed for enough testing of this new gearing system, abilities or class balance. These things should not be rushed as they can be more game breaking than bugs. They really should have had all those things up on the PTS to test and play around with back May or beginning or June. Not putting them on 7 weeks before it goes live.

TrixxieTriss
08.09.2019 , 04:00 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Rolodome View Post
So I guess what I'm saying is, SWTOR is the video game development embodiment of a lootbox.
LMAO 😂

I wonder what the drop % is for “Legendary roll” for good development and no bugs

KendraP
08.09.2019 , 05:24 AM | #26
What BW is proving to be unable to fulfill their overly ambitious plan in their stated time frame and its likely to be delayed? No one saw that coming!

Oh wait, it was my first comment when they announced 6.0 in September.

I fully expect them to ignore most major feedback from PTS and for there to be multiple game breaking bugs that take another 6 months to even acknowledge too.

JattaGin
08.09.2019 , 06:21 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by KendraP View Post
What BW is proving to be unable to fulfill their overly ambitious plan in their stated time frame and its likely to be delayed? No one saw that coming!
I lol'd hard. It's funny because it's true.

I cannot imagine that the expansion comes in September. Or if it does, it will be even smaller than I fear.

The lack of communication can only mean one thing.

Invasion.

No, I mean, everyone is fully busy helping getting things done. I bet our community manager does different things than managing the community at the moment. Not that this is any different to the last 7+ years, but anyway.
Bioware offers a friend referal system which gives referred players a couple of goodies (incl. 7 free days of sub and a neat free 10 x inventory slot for every character) and referring players some little shinies and cartel coins.
I would be happy if you choose my referral link to grab your free goodies.

Jdast
08.09.2019 , 08:06 AM | #28
I'm of a mindset that some will likely view as contradictory. Let's start with the important distinction between "bugs" vs. "balance". Right now on the PTS, it is essentially the new class abilities being tested with the notable exception of the new scaling. But that is still "balancing".

I am firmly of the view, however, that the new gearing system is introducing so many new variables that "balancing" will inevitably be a long-term, ongoing, and arduous process. I fully predict it to be chaotic and messy. They will have a lot more feedback and data to work with, however, six months after release.

Most of the feedback I have read on the forum tends to fall along the lines of the set bonuses are decidedly "meh" and that some of the tactical items miss the target (e.g., too much linked / tied to Force Speed for sorcs).

I haven't seen too much, however, in terms of game breaking bugs. Like others, I have internalized they will exist and there is no way BW has the QA staff numbers to catch them. Put bluntly, that duty will fall to us to help the BW team in a (hopefully) collaborative fashion.

As such, I'm of the conclusion that since we know they are at-best going to tweak a few numbers, it is better to release sooner. The only variable is when they release it. The two constants, however, are:

1) there will be bugs that I don't think the PTS will identify; and

2) a few balancing tweaks here and there over the next few weeks on the PTS will in no way stop the chaotic deluge of balance issues we will uncover as we play the game.

Assuming no absolute game breaking bugs, which they won't identify regardless of when it is releases, it makes sense to release as scheduled, or shortly thereafter.

Dasty

Edit: I assume also they don't want to step on Star Wars Fallen Order's Nov. 15 release.

TrixxieTriss
08.09.2019 , 09:40 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Jdast View Post

Edit: I assume also they don't want to step on Star Wars Fallen Order's Nov. 15 release.
You also have WoW classic releasing later this month. If people leave to go play that more while waiting around for 6.0, then they may not come back.

I am really looking forward to SW fallen Order. I was watching some game play yesterday and it looks amazing.

DarthCasus
08.10.2019 , 04:42 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
You also have WoW classic releasing later this month. If people leave to go play that more while waiting around for 6.0, then they may not come back.

I am really looking forward to SW fallen Order. I was watching some game play yesterday and it looks amazing.
You're right, the MMO genre already is back in cruise mode so the lack of marketing for this expansion will already work in favor of competitiors both inside and outside of the genre. Fallen Order is no exception to that but it looks pretty meh honestly. I like the setting and idea so far but the gameplay looks 'oof'. Force Unleashed, Jedi Knight Academy and Revenge of the Sith fare better with those melee systems but are dated.
Quote: Originally Posted by DragonTora View Post
ur being the "leet" one by letting the internet raise ur children and I would flash the bird to u if i could noob.
Quote: Originally Posted by BarrinMarshal
I know your part of the "Forum Apologist Five" group but stop