Has the GTN tanked?

asbalana

I have been crafting since day one and mostly made money through selling mats. i've seen prices and suppy yoyo up and down over time. Typically, on a down cycle I stock up and on an up cycle sell, sell, sell. There are a number of mats that have always sold well and traded at a good price range.

But it seems that over the last few days prices have dropped throught the floor, supplies are increasng and nothing much is selling. This seems to be over all levels and not just the top tier that has been impacted by 2.0.

As they say, I am getting a bad feeling about what is happening. Does anyone else feel the same or is it just me reacting to yet another down cycle.

Details about the new crafting items/mats (Patch 2.0 on the test server atm) informed us all that our current materials will be nigh worthless once the patch is released. Demand disappeared and supply increased as many are trying to offload their stock asap.

Absolutely nothing to worry about. Your business will pick up once the new patch is live and you adapt to the new items we can craft/sell.

Details about the new crafting items/mats (Patch 2.0 on the test server atm) informed us all that our current materials will be nigh worthless once the patch is released. Demand disappeared and supply increased as many are trying to offload their stock asap.

Absolutely nothing to worry about. Your business will pick up once the new patch is live and you adapt to the new items we can craft/sell.

Much true. I fully expected to see the price of the highest level mats and armorings drop like a stone and they did.

On the other hand, lower to mid level mats and armoring have also fallen and they should not be directly effected by the "?expansion". The needs of leveling characters have not and probably will not change. For example, my wife has always generated credits by selling low level orange shells. Suddenly they are coming back as unsold. Mats used to make low to mid level mods and armorings have always sold and now the price has dropped while the number of pages of listings have increased. A level 39 JK will l need the same "stuff" before and after 2.0.

Perhaps with the repair fiasco and the 2.0 announcement, people have changed their buying habits and are sitting on their credits. I know that I have a ton of credits but am not buying anything on the GTN because I have no confidence that I can replace those spent with new earnings.

Could be a lot of things. As I said, I do have a bad feeling about what is going on and it will be interesting to see what happens over the next few months. I do think if the GTN has tanked and the economy is hurting and that drops the revenue of CM sales (conversion of cash into credits) EA will try to do something quickly. That will also be interesting.

Pretty much this. You can think of this as an in game recession. People don't buy in anticipation of the new patch. I still sell items, but demand is lower.

Edited by Knockerz

im also thinking that many things arent selling at the moment due to a lot of people focusing on doing the gree rep stuff while it is here for the limited time, so im hoping that once the event ends things will stabilize a bit more.

though the patch notes could be a little of the causes

The GTN hasn't tanked, at least not for me. Purple material prices were pretty high the past few days, but today they suddenly dropped, so I acquired a boatload of them for a very cheap price per item. Pretty soon after prices went back up to normal. Fortunately, the things I craft are also expensive right now, so there's good profit to be made and at a nice discount too, so turnover rate is high.

Too bad I had to blow all the credits on MK-6 augment kits, Augment 22's and fitting them all in my gear. :D

The ole buy Cartel Market items and resale on the GTN trick... yes EA may take notice, when people quit buying Cartel Items, to do this GTN transfers of credits trick.

Buying and selling anything on the GTN is simply transfering existing credits between accounts, with a small transaction fee per sale. The GTN, is a credit sink.

Recently, repair costs spiked... a serious credit sink.

New credits are introduced, from killing and looting mobs, quest rewards, sliced credit boxes... space missions...

The Gree Event, is a credit sink... if you're doing the Gree, then you're not doing dailies.

Crafting in general, is a credit sink. Wealth created via crafting is just a transfer of existing credits. Player A becomes wealthier, at the expense of Player B. Player B, has new gear, etc, but because it binds, it becomes non-transferable... the lifespan of some items can be prolonged, but eventually it's a loss.

2.0 is simply changing the trends of the GTN... item A loses value, item Z which is yet to be introduced increases in value.

The GTN is gonna tank... it's gonna trend down. My goofy opinion is, thats a good thing... when items sell for less, the transaction fee is lower, ie more real credits remain in the server economy.

F2P brings alot of new questers to the game... lower level questing, produces lower level loot, which can buy and spend on a depressed GTN.

The game doesn't need new millionaires... it needs a larger middle class.

The Divine One speaks the Truth.

100% this.

But it's the nature of the market. All of my Grade 27 stuff has now dropped like a stone, which is to be expected. On the plus side, molecs have similarly dropped so I can at least still craft for a profit, even it's meager (by comparison).

Absolutely nothing to worry about....just expect to make garbage profits on level 50 level items for the next two months?

Thank the maker for buying and reselling cartel items.

Yes it has tanked, fortunately I was able to sell my banked materials while the spiral still went down, so I still made a size-able amount of credits on them even if not as much as a month ago. The more people will realize the current mats will become useless, the further the prices will drop.

anytime you have a new expansion with a level increase in the very near future players start focusing on their max level toons.

most dont craft anything max level now as it doesnt sell well. dreadguard will be replaced in three levels with easier obtainable starter hm gear. buying such is a waste of credits.

others dont squander credits on lower level alts and instead starting saving them for the new 50s content/items that will be coming out.

such behavior is consistent and not unusual across mmos. what might sell well now is any experience boost consumables for the very few power levelers still left in the game. but these you can not make.

I think, largely, this is a "balance sheet recession". If you are crafting in order to turn around and buy gear on the GTN, you have the same relative buying power. I sell 27 armor plates to get 27 mods and enhancements for my toons. Yes, the downturn has hurt the numbers I get per plate 1.2 mil down to 900k. However mods, enhancements and armorings that I need to buy have fallen too. If you're selling to bank credits or to obtain a specific number, you're in a lot of pain right now but if you're trying to parlay GTN goods into other GTN goods, it doesn't really matter.

Have you not taken into account the fact that some people might not be leveling as many lowbies for a while due to anticipation of getting Character Transfers? I myself refuse to level any of my characters that are lower than level 40 until they add a Character Transfer service, so that I can get all of my characters that I am keeping onto one server. Which means I am only working on one character that I need to level. Normally I have between 3 & 4 lowbies that I am working on at a time, making sure that I have a great deal of rested XP, and adequate gear before I start, and that 1 I do plan on working on, I am crafting some mods for a companion to use for him. Granted I don't generally buy many mats for crafting, as I have the crew skills that I would need to get the mats, and supply my own needs, but still others might be doing the same thing.

The lower level stuff could be an indirect result of the 2.0 "feature" where all comms are capped at stupidly low levels and all leveling comms will become one type of Planetary comms. Most people playing on live are probably not that up on what's happening, but it's possible there are a large number of planetary comms being cashed out at the moment for mods that people are dumping on the market, leading to little demand for crafted mods and mats needed to make them.

Have you not taken into account the fact that some people might not be leveling as many lowbies for a while due to anticipation of getting Character Transfers? I myself refuse to level any of my characters that are lower than level 40 until they add a Character Transfer service, so that I can get all of my characters that I am keeping onto one server.

Help me out here.... What advantage exists by having your characters on the same server? I apologize if this is a newbie question, but I only have one character that I regularly use, and the other is on the same server, so I just don't know what advantage may or may not exist by having them both on the same one.

I think its interesting that the Grade 27 stuff continues to list and sell at vastly reduced prices, but the molec market has climbed back up into the 100+ range.

It's a bit odd. Who is buying these molecs? Certainly not the people selling 27 gear for peanuts.

Help me out here.... What advantage exists by having your characters on the same server? I apologize if this is a newbie question, but I only have one character that I regularly use, and the other is on the same server, so I just don't know what advantage may or may not exist by having them both on the same one.

well by having all characters on one server you are able to craft them gear/weapons/medpacs, or anything else they may need.

you can share credits.

work on legacy levels together.

have the same community (ie. guild)

Well, this explains why mats like Bronzium and such sell well, but when i tried to sell Grade 7 crafting supplies I got from a Cartel Pack they didn't get picked up.... guess I'll be sticking with the crafting mats that I can get from scavenging and such....

Skodan:

Thanks for the reply. I didn't realize that the legacy points only accumulated within a single server, but that makes sense. How does one share credits, supplies, etc., amongst characters? Just mail them to one another, or are there common storage areas?

What I find odd is that even consumables are dropping in price...My exotech stims go for closer to 15k vs. the 18-20k they were selling at a couple weeks ago.

Could be just seasonal. All games tend to have times of the year when populations boom, like summer and the holidays. Other times, like after the first of the year, there can be a big drop off.

Or maybe people finally got a look at what's coming in 2.0 (grindtastic comm caps, no endgame crafting, and class balance epic fail) and they just said to heck with it and went back to other games.