Observations of a GSF noob...

ReavetheJ

When I first tried GSF and was getting farmed quit. This was not fun.

With more thought and wanting to like it came here, read the guides & when we had the ship sale bought a bomber.

I liked the more tactical play, but more importantly it allowed me to live long enough to see what was going on and get a feel for the game. As I've improved am playing strike with some success on an alt. Some sort of training ground where new players could fly around with some targets might ease the learning curve a bit.

Finally a thank you to all of you who took the time to post here and in game to help the noobs.

I know it's horrible, but did you hit the "?" button in your Hangar view to at least practice with the still targets?

I found that many of my friends hating on GSF didn't even know about the limited tutorial. There is much that is different from the original space missions.

Also most of us regular posters have our servers and normally our factions(though most would cross faction anyway) Find someone on your server and sent them a forum PM. I feel certain they could make arrangements to get you in groups and on a VoIP and give you some training and feedback.

Note: Don't abuse anyones generosity. Download and install Ventrillo, Teamspeak 3, and probably Mumble. Though I've always had mumble but in 2 years never once used it, but that is more likely my server/faction preference. Nobody wants to wait forever while you set that stuff up, and buy a mic too GSF does not accommodate game chat well at all you need voice.

Some sort of training ground where new players could fly around with some targets might ease the learning curve a bit.

"Offline" training is well and good (and already exists as mentioned above) but it's only just to get you acquainted with the controls. That's not nearly enough.

I think we really need some form of hard segregation. Let the new pilots play a few matches among themselves before letting them progressively into the lions pit. I know it would lengthen queue times for everyone, but honestly it's no more fun for those getting farmed mercilessly than for their teammates... or their opponents who value a meaningful victory.

Also most of us regular posters have our servers and normally our factions(though most would cross faction anyway) Find someone on your server and sent them a forum PM. I feel certain they could make arrangements to get you in groups and on a VoIP and give you some training and feedback.

Note: Don't abuse anyones generosity. Download and install Ventrillo, Teamspeak 3, and probably Mumble. Though I've always had mumble but in 2 years never once used it, but that is more likely my server/faction preference. Nobody wants to wait forever while you set that stuff up, and buy a mic too GSF does not accommodate game chat well at all you need voice.

In battle chat didn't seem that difficult to me, can't understand why it's not used more. Hit return (ship keeps flying in same direction) type fast hit enter, and you're back to ship controls. It's helpful to let the team know which objective is protected or not and if someone's on the tail of a teammate, which you can see at a distance.

In battle chat didn't seem that difficult to me, can't understand why it's not used more. Hit return (ship keeps flying in same direction) type fast hit enter, and you're back to ship controls. It's helpful to let the team know which objective is protected or not and if someone's on the tail of a teammate, which you can see at a distance.

Losing controls, even for a 1-2 seconds may result in a death sentence for some ship builds... some of those need to quickly escape to regen shields, some simply can't afford to be hit too consistantly (basically all builds that result with diminuted shields), but in the end, neither of them can afford to take risks and be slained or badly damaged because they made themselves easy targets even for a few seconds. (Everything is so fast in GSF)

"Offline" training is well and good (and already exists as mentioned above) but it's only just to get you acquainted with the controls. That's not nearly enough.

I think we really need some form of hard segregation. Let the new pilots play a few matches among themselves before letting them progressively into the lions pit. I know it would lengthen queue times for everyone, but honestly it's no more fun for those getting farmed mercilessly than for their teammates... or their opponents who value a meaningful victory.

I know it'll harm queue times, but THIS MAKES SENSE. I'd much rather take a short-term queue hit now and get a better piloting pool eventually than wait for everyone to get bored of GSF and have it die. If we have no new blood coming in, we'll just be playing with ourselves.

I don't know about you lot, but I got married specifically to avoid that fate. -bp

I agree with you, but today's gamer - on average, mind you - simply lacks the skills to be able to fly and type at the same time.

I simply don't use voice for the greater good of humanity. Trust me - no one wants to hear my voice. Hell, it's getting harder to find anyone who wants to read what I've written! XD

True, however I was not referring to battle updates but full on training within match, good luck doing that while getting shot at.

I know it's horrible, but did you hit the "?" button in your Hangar view to at least practice with the still targets?

I found that many of my friends hating on GSF didn't even know about the limited tutorial. There is much that is different from the original space missions.

I'd read the tutorial, but was unaware of the actual flying one. Perfect for adjusting my ui . Thanks a lot !

Something similar happened to me when I tried it out. I did the little tutorial first, but I still haven't really played games like GSF before so the new controls will take a bit for me to get used to.

The first several matches I played, I was getting farmed so fast that I kept getting the 'non contributor' message because I couldn't hit someone once before I was blown up. I understand that I am new and shouldn't expect to do well, but I wasn't expecting it to go so badly either. I can't see myself wanting to play again.

With the negative to the rewards because of the non-contributor debuff it will take even longer to have ship upgrades, I don't know if I am willing to put the time in. I wish there was a pve version that was a little beefier than the tutorial, I don't want to be mercilessly farmed until I get the hang of it. I played around 11 matches, and even with the daily and weekly reward I could barely upgrade anything after the non-contributor penalty.

Something similar happened to me when I tried it out. I did the little tutorial first, but I still haven't really played games like GSF before so the new controls will take a bit for me to get used to.

The first several matches I played, I was getting farmed so fast that I kept getting the 'non contributor' message because I couldn't hit someone once before I was blown up. I understand that I am new and shouldn't expect to do well, but I wasn't expecting it to go so badly either. I can't see myself wanting to play again.

With the negative to the rewards because of the non-contributor debuff it will take even longer to have ship upgrades, I don't know if I am willing to put the time in. I wish there was a pve version that was a little beefier than the tutorial, I don't want to be mercilessly farmed until I get the hang of it. I played around 11 matches, and even with the daily and weekly reward I could barely upgrade anything after the non-contributor penalty.

You contribute by dieing