Satele useless with lightsaber?

zzoorrzz

She basically lost both her fights with Malgus in cinematics and needed somebody to help her there.

Is there any situation in the game when we see her fight again? And if so, how does that work out?

Yeah, this is like LeBron James posterizing Kobe Bryant. Go Ahead and say Kobe can't play basketball.

She only lost to Malgus because he's a beast with a lightsaber, possibly one of the best fighters of his time. She's a volcano of Force power, but she doesn't have nearly as much lightsaber skill. That's why she lost to him on Return, and in Hope she blew him away with a huge blast after she got a second to build it up (Thanks, Jace!).

It seemed to me it was mainly because of the disadvantages of the double-bladed lightsaber which a very experienced duelist like Malgus took advantage of.

The techniques employable with a double-bladed lightsaber were extremely limited, as the second blade rendered many positions and movements impossible to execute, or required the wielder to twist oneself awkwardly around the weapon to do so. Many techniques required the user to perform elaborate flourishes in order to move the staff around their body, leaving them open, and any sort of fighting method that focused on power or penetration was difficult to apply. Also, the enlarged hilt common to most double-bladed lightsabers presented a large target, difficult to defend. Opponents would often attempt to employ the sun djem contact mark, with even experienced saberstaff wielders being vulnerable to this tactic.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Double-bladed_lightsaber

In most of the EU books I've read, the double-bladed saber seemed only to be an advantage when its wielder was very large and strong and could use their enormous reach and strength to overpower opponents. OR when the opponent was not familiar with fighting against one. Malgus's master used a saberstaff, so clearly Malgus would have had a lot of practice sparring against one.

Edited by Jenzali

It seemed to me it was mainly because of the disadvantages of the double-bladed lightsaber which a very experienced duelist like Malgus took advantage of.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Double-bladed_lightsaber

In most of the EU books I've read, the double-bladed saber seemed only to be an advantage when its wielder was very large and strong and could use their enormous reach and strength to overpower opponents. OR when the opponent was not familiar with fighting against one. Malgus's master used a saberstaff, so clearly Malgus would have had a lot of practice sparring against one.

Darth Zannah would like to have a word with you.

Darth Zannah would like to have a word with you.

It seemed to me her main strength was her sorcery, and she didn't seem to do particularly well in most lightsaber duels. In the Duel on Tython she spent most of the battle losing 1 on 1 to a larger saberstaff user and was only able to kill him when he got distracted and she could use her sorcery on him.

Of course, being part of the Banite Order means she's going to be pretty damn strong in general but I never saw her saberstaff being an advantage unless fighting against an opponent who was not familiar with one. If I recall correctly, even Darth Bane used the weakness of her weapon against her in their final duels.

Edited by Jenzali

It seemed to me her main strength was her sorcery, and she didn't seem to do particularly well in most lightsaber duels. In the Duel on Tython she spent most of the battle losing 1 on 1 to a larger saberstaff user and was only able to kill him when he got distracted and she could use her sorcery on him.

Of course, being part of the Banite Order means she's going to be pretty damn strong in general but I never saw her saberstaff being an advantage unless fighting against an opponent who was not familiar with one. If I recall correctly, even Darth Bane used the weakness of her weapon against her in their final duels.

Zannah's skill is defensive fighting. That is how Bane trained her and why her saberstaff is actually shorter then most others. This takes advantage of her size. She was a disadvantage in that battle with the Jedi, not because of the size differance, but because he was being aided by a Jedi master using Battle Meditation. When Bane went after that Jedi one of his other comrades pushed him out of the way, interrupting his Meditaion. That is when Zannah's opponent seemed to become distacted.

When Zannah was hunting Bane he easily beat her and got away because he lured her into going on the offensive, taking her right out of her comfort zone. In the final battle Bane had a hard time with Zannah because she was on the denfensive building her power to unleash her sorcery. That was her strength, defensive saber fighting while using her sorcery skills for offensive fighting.

Edited by Kilikaa

They probably could've done the type of weapon each class uses a bit differently. Make it more so you could choose any weapon type (within reason, ie Sabers for Jedi, not Troopers) and then tailored the specials so that some required and/or could not be used with certain weapons. Would've made a lot more sense, IMO, instead of saying "if you go with this Advanced class, then you have to use this weapon type."

But on topic, to OP, yeah, we see two examples of her fighting against a very powerful enemy (I'm guessing by comments, the same?) that was highly skilled in lightsaber offensive. It only makes sense that if she can't get an opening to use the Force on him that he'll win.

Some good debate here. Thx all for their opinions. Btw. I just realized another thing about her second fight, which makes me think that creators of the video helped her even to the point where things dont make much sense so she could bounce back.

notice in time 3:15 -

she has enough time to look around, use the force on the tree while holding Malgus back with only 1 hand + Malgus is doing basically nothing all the time with his second hand and the rest of the body, which is not typical for his fighting from other fights we could see. Maybe somebody else would be able to figure out how that part of the fight makes sense?

Some good debate here. Thx all for their opinions. Btw. I just realized another thing about her second fight, which makes me think that creators of the video helped her even to the point where things dont make much sense so she could bounce back.

she has enough time to look around, use the force on the tree while holding Malgus back with only 1 hand + Malgus is doing basically nothing all the time with his second hand and the rest of the body, which is not typical for his fighting from other fights we could see. Maybe somebody else would be able to figure out how that part of the fight makes sense?

Sith overconfidence + tunnel vision? Yeah, it's hard to say when it's a story. Leaves a lot open for what the "writer" thinks would've happened.

We do see her take out a few of the "lesser" sith there on the battlefield on her way to Malgus, though, so obviously she isn't inept.

I have to say, though, we do see one of the advantages of the double-bladed weapon at just past the 3 minute mark (~3:01 to 3:04) from that vid you linked. With one blade she parries an attack then swings the other side of the weapon around to deliver the killing blow.

Edited by FuryoftheStars

Yep, the part of the fight she should or could have been dead... Made no sense to even bother with that tree.

• 1 year later...
Yep, the part of the fight she should or could have been dead... Made no sense to even bother with that tree.

For the same reason the troopers (Havoc squad?) abandoned the high ground to charge a mess of sith and battle droids - it's cinematic.

And yeah, echoing what others said: Just because she can't beat Malgus one-on-one doesn't make her useless :)

Your missing the point from the POV of a lot of the Sith Fans, if there is one Sith you can't beat in a saber dual, then it doesn't matter how many others you've beaten, your a wuss. and there for no match for any real Sith., unlike all those wannabes you mowed thru, cause if they were real Sith you wouldn't have been able to take them down in the first place.

If you go thru the material you find that Magus is the only Sith to over power her physically in a fight and in her time she's amassed quite a mountain of defeated Sith, rank and file and lords, including at least one DC member who retreated badly wounded from the encounter.

Your missing the point from the POV of a lot of the Sith Fans, if there is one Sith you can't beat in a saber dual, then it doesn't matter how many others you've beaten, your a wuss. and there for no match for any real Sith., unlike all those wannabes you mowed thru, cause if they were real Sith you wouldn't have been able to take them down in the first place.

If you go thru the material you find that Magus is the only Sith to over power her physically in a fight and in her time she's amassed quite a mountain of defeated Sith, rank and file and lords, including at least one DC member who retreated badly wounded from the encounter.

Quoted for truth.

You forgot the part where if you do beat a Sith it was total crap handed to you by a writer who gave you totally unrealistic Mary Sue powers that don't make any sense because you totally should have lost that fight.

You forgot the part where if you do beat a Sith it was total crap handed to you by a writer who gave you totally unrealistic Mary Sue powers that don't make any sense because you totally should have lost that fight.

there are some people who just think Sith must be more powerful. nevermind that we see plenty of on screen evidance of Jedi taking on sith and winning

For the same reason the troopers (Havoc squad?) abandoned the high ground to charge a mess of sith and battle droids - it's cinematic.

High ground is only useful for defensive tactics. If you are trying to press a attack you invariably must advance.

Also the tactics employed in the Hope trailer while excessively glorified and stylized, are very similar to the rapid localized infantry attacks that the German Army employed extensively (and with great success) in WWII.

She basically lost both her fights with Malgus in cinematics and needed somebody to help her there.

Is there any situation in the game when we see her fight again? And if so, how does that work out?

I don't think Satele is bad with a lightsaber, I'd say she's probably pretty good with it compared to the entire galaxy of Jedi and Sith, but Malgus is one of the best of his era, Satele's strength is definitely in the Force, however in a one on one I DO think Malgus would win, both times we've seen them fight Satele's been saved from a killing blow by someone else (Kao and Jace).

High ground is only useful for defensive tactics. If you are trying to press a attack you invariably must advance.

Also the tactics employed in the Hope trailer while excessively glorified and stylized, are very similar to the rapid localized infantry attacks that the German Army employed extensively (and with great success) in WWII.

Interesting point, though I still think holding that ground a little while longer would've made good sense :)

Isn't a bit exaggerated to say that she was "useless" just because she lost a fight against Darth Malgus? From the looks of it she did put up quite a fight. And she lost. How many PvPers are in this game who never lost a fight?

When it comes to lightsaber combat, I must admit I dislike all too serious considerations regarding realism. Yes, realistically seen a double blade lightsaber is not a very efficient weapon because the second blade is more of a hindrance to the wielder than a threat to their opponent, and the only advantage you get for that is that the center of mass is in the center of the weapon, which makes it easier to spin it. You can give it torque and it will stay in place. In effect you can produce an insane apparent velocity, but only a limited real one and you constantly need to move around your own weapon.

However, this is Star Wars. If it had been good for the story that she beat Malgus, she would have. Regardless of what kind of lightsaber she wields.

Edited by Rabenschwinge