Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

Yeah, because we're at fault that some spoiled brats demanded more servers at launch. It makes perfect sense to have to change your guild/character/legacy name because there's already a level 1 character, for example, in your pre-assigned destination server. Screw all those that believed in the future of the game, pre-ordered it, got into Early Access and tried to get their desired names. They have no right to complain at all, how dare they!

Really...

Cheers.

Welcome to MMOs? Its kinda standard..you move no matter the reason your fault, game's fault whatever...you lose your name a good chunk of the time. I mean what if your going to a destination no one on destination is using your name but someone else moving from another origin server is you've both played the same amount of time, you've both got the same amount of work and even level...who gets the name then? There's no fair solution for anyone involved. Your assuming your going somewhere and your name might be taken by an inactive player. But what if its not? What then punish the person who's been playing the game a smidge shorterthan you or the same amount of time? Or hell punish the player that went on vacation so they didn't renew their account until they came back?

Someone will get upset, someone will get hurt. There is no good answer or solution thats fair to all involved with names. But choosing 1 customer over another is always bad no matter what. By making it who ever got it first on that server as it is when you create your toon and only that rule its atleast somewhat fair and expected.

You should love your toon not your name, a name is a name. No one will no who the hell you are other than your mates anyway so make a new name. Your getting to keep all your money and gear and bank .. those are the things in the end that matter. Its not like the old days where you'd only show up after a transfer wiith what you could hold in your bags (yes games did actually do that in the past! Only your bags contents got transfered! not your banks and not any sort of legendaries or customized stuff).

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, because we're at fault that some spoiled brats demanded more servers at launch. It makes perfect sense to have to change your guild/character/legacy name because there's already a level 1 character, for example, with said name in your pre-assigned destination server. Screw all those that believed in the future of the game, pre-ordered it, got into Early Access and tried to get their desired names. They have no right to complain at all, how dare they!

Really...

Cheers.

How do you know that the name you want is owned by someone who is lvl 1? What if that person also believed in the future of the game, pre-ordered it, got into Early Access and got their desired name. I am guessing you would also be quite upset if you were playing on a server since day 1 and you found out you had to change your name because someone else moved in that also had your name but made their character 5 seconds before you on a different server.

Yeah free for all didn't work for any other MMO that does that..

Your restricting us from going to the server we want. You should stop transfers to the over populated servers.. Such as Fatman.. That should be locked for transfers..

But this restriction.. bad idea.. I been planning to move since i got to this server, And to find out now that all that planning may of been a waste because you don't want a free for all system is just a slap in the face.

I only play this game to PVP and to be with friends.. And every step you have made to prevent that from happening.. Every other MMO i played.. You have a choice of WZ you want to fight in.. you don't. YOU Force us to fight in matches we don't want to.. And if you leave.. all ti does it start drama... Your same faction on same faction PVP.. Who does that?!.. All thats doing is starting drama. All your doing is making this game unbearable to play..

I want you to make it where the Ops groups have the same thing the WZ people have to go though. They que up and you randomly put them into a Flashpoint.. ooo What thats crazy?.. Yeah so is forcing me to fight in voidstar when i can't stand that wz..

I love Huttball. And i can't even only que for that. So all that being said.. Now we might not be able to go to the server we want to. Just becoming to much . I am very unhappy about 1.3, It took me 45 minutes to test everything.. The legacy system is a joke. Im sorrry i tryed to be nice.. The mail box in the ship was a good idea.. But the fact you must clear a LVL in order to spend money is just stupid. You wonder why you have an out of control problem with credit farmers.

Im just very un-happy. I been trying to get on your side.. But i was right.. This is just a disaster.

Please re-think the restrictions to the server transferring.

if they become to packed.. They can leave to a less populated server... So i see no problem.

Thats my stoner 2 cents.. Thanks for reading.

I was really hoping for a consolidation of the servers, but I'll keep my fingers crossed that this will be enough to make the single server group find a viable tool... and that I'm in a destination server ;)

Question for developer/community expert: Without decreasing the number of servers wont people not current subscribers who return to the game find that "origin" servers are even more empty than they are now? and couldn't this discourage people from returning to the game?

Edited by Gordoma

I'm very hyped about this and can't wait for this to occur! After consideration, what I plan on doing is waiting to see if there is an increase on my server (The Shadowlands) before trying to xfer to a new server. If there is no significant increase, then at that time I'll see about going to a new server. Server merges would be awesome too. 2-3 low pop servers merging together would help out a lot as well.

Thanks Bioware for listening!!!!:D

"we made the decision to strictly limit the initial phase of the Character Transfer Service to only allow transfers from selected groups of origin servers (where you're moving a character from) to selected individual destination servers"

Yet another half-assed attempt at a fix. Just merge the damn servers.

"We understand that some of you may be looking to consolidate characters from a variety of origin servers onto one server...With the restrictions of this initial service, that may not be possible."

This has NO IMPACT on server population just another poor excuse for customer service.

"we are committed to making improvements to the Character Transfer Service over time to provide players with a great gameplay experience."

So this is the business model then? Hint at releasing things that the population desires and provide no defined concise implementation schedule then partially/haphazardly throw things together at the last minute and hope more people do not unsubscribe...

Good Luck with that. :mad:

Welcome to MMOs? Its kinda standard..you move no matter the reason your fault, game's fault whatever...you lose your name a good chunk of the time. I mean what if your going to a destination no one on destination is using your name but someone else moving from another origin server is you've both played the same amount of time, you've both got the same amount of work and even level...who gets the name then? There's no fair solution for anyone involved. Your assuming your going somewhere and your name might be taken by an inactive player. But what if its not? What then punish the person who's been playing the game a smidge shorterthan you or the same amount of time? Or hell punish the player that went on vacation so they didn't renew their account until they came back?

Someone will get upset, someone will get hurt. There is no good answer or solution thats fair to all involved with names. But choosing 1 customer over another is always bad no matter what. By making it who ever got it first on that server as it is when you create your toon and only that rule its atleast somewhat fair and expected.

How do you know that the name you want is owned by someone who is lvl 1? What if that person also believed in the future of the game, pre-ordered it, got into Early Access and got their desired name. I am guessing you would also be quite upset if you were playing on a server since day 1 and you found out you had to change your name because someone else moved in that also had your name but made their character 5 seconds before you on a different server.

I'm not new to MMOs, as the first quoted seem to suggest. When something like this happens and players are forced to join another server (as it's the case here, unless people want to stay on a dead server, which I doubt anyone would) there's usually a priority on who holds the name in case of conflict. It usually goes to the higher level character (that's why I used the level 1 example), and if they're both the same level it goes the the one with more played time. Trust me, it's almost impossible for someone to have the same amount of played time as you, unless you count just in hours. Now tell me that that's not more fair than screwing someone with a level 50 char over an unused level 1 char (it's an example, just in case you don't get it again).

You should love your toon not your name, a name is a name. No one will no who the hell you are other than your mates anyway so make a new name. Your getting to keep all your money and gear and bank .. those are the things in the end that matter. Its not like the old days where you'd only show up after a transfer wiith what you could hold in your bags (yes games did actually do that in the past! Only your bags contents got transfered! not your banks and not any sort of legendaries or customized stuff).

Some people like their character names, be it because it links them to other games, for RP reasons, or whatever. In any case, you can't say that because it doesn't matter to you it shouldn't matter to anyone. As I've explained there's more fair ways of solving naming conflicts, and no one would complain in those situations.

Cheers.

I'm afraid if people have the choice in which server they go to, then the already over populated or max capacity servers will then be unable to hold that many. I think High capcity servers should be split in two. then merge them with low populated ones.

That's why earlier in the thread I suggested a much more elegant solution for transfers/merges. Close a bunch of servers, open a few, let people sign up for the new servers in the order they joined. Yes, people are still going to lose names, and it sucks that we're paying for Bioware's mistake of opening up way too many servers at launch. The difference here is at least I know I lost my name to someone who has also been playing since early access and, more importantly, is still actually playing the game. It's inconvenient and mildly annoying to lose your names to someone who's been playing since day one and is still actively playing, it is downright insulting to lose it to someone who played their free month and left or that just bought the game last week.

Initially we considered allowing players to transfer to any server they wished, or to a variety of different servers. However, on a massive scale, this free-for-all approach causes potential problems.

Next time, don't announce that you intend to do the free-for-all approach, and then change your minds. Some of us rolled characters with the intent of being able to transfer them when the service became available. Now we've wasted even more time when we could've just started over elsewhere.

Our aim is to maximize server population across the entire service and to enhance the gameplay experience for our players.

Then merge servers first. Problem solved.

We're sure many of you are interested to learn which servers are eligible for outgoing transfers and which servers are eligible to receive transfers. However, because the process will be gradual, we cannot provide that information in advance.

Yes, you could provide that information in advance. Instead you'd rather tick more people off and cause them to wait even longer or just unsub because they're tired of this kind of stuff.

I have 2 level 50s on a low pop server. One of those I put in a lot of time to gear up, clear Ops with (cleared through HM on all Ops but Explosive Conflict). I had to walk away from her because our server died. Now I'm on Jedi Covenant with a new level 50 and just starting to clear Ops again. I don't care about changing their names, she can be Fuzzywuzzywasabear for all I care, or the inconvenience of moving to a new server. I just want to get all of my toons in the same place! I think it's incredibly frustrating to have put in all of that time to have her rotting on an empty server. And more frustrating to not be able to bring all of my accounts together.

I've obviously not read through all 51 pages but I would like to know if it will be possible to move from one origin server to another.

I would really like to get away from my current server and the obnoxious guilds there. I would preferably also like to move back to an EU server, I'm currently on a US EST server.

Edited by MidichIorian

Next time, don't announce that you intend to do the free-for-all approach, and then change your minds. Some of us rolled characters with the intent of being able to transfer them when the service became available. Now we've wasted even more time when we could've just started over elsewhere.
They never announced anything of the sort.

I've obviously not read through all 51 pages but I would like to know if it will be possible to move from one origin server to another.

I would really like to get away from my current server and the obnoxious guilds there.

Those on source servers will be offered free transfers to one pre-defined destination server.

I would preferably also like to move back to an EU server, I'm currently on a US EST server.
Not going to happen. These initial transfers will be to same-region, same-server type.

most of EU servers are low populated, only 8-10 people online in fleets even at peak times on my server, when you open transfers, everyone (not exaggerateing...) will move to highest populated available server, then what will happen to these empty server left behind? these low populated servers are already dead, why not just merge them instead of transfering a bunch of people from a server to another one... I mean you dont reduce amount of server you have but just move players from a low populated server to another one, what is the point?

After reading in the last few pages it seems it answered my question about toons spread across servers. So i propose a new question.... If we email customer service with requests to consolidate all our toons on a server, would you be able to assist us? I had to make a new toon due to a dead server, and now there is no available way for me to bring all my toons to one server? Please tell me you will work with us... I want all my toons together Bioware. I enjoy the legacy, i want to earn rewards for legacy, please tell me you will work with us on this.... any response, whether it be in personal message or on this forum would really be appreciated.

Of course we could always have 1 huge US server and 1 Huge EU server and everyone is on those.

As for names/naming conflicts, Just add a 1 or 2 or 12 on the end like if you want a Email name on google.... i.e. HanSolo71...I mean with 100 servers how hard is it to share resources and make it all a big happy world?

jkoc :D

Edited by BashFall

I'm not new to MMOs, as the first quoted seem to suggest. When something like this happens and players are forced to join another server (as it's the case here, unless people want to stay on a dead server, which I doubt anyone would) there's usually a priority on who holds the name in case of conflict. It usually goes to the higher level character (that's why I used the level 1 example), and if they're both the same level it goes the the one with more played time. Trust me, it's almost impossible for someone to have the same amount of played time as you, unless you count just in hours. Now tell me that that's not more fair than screwing someone with a level 50 char over an unused level 1 char (it's an example, just in case you don't get it again).

Some people like their character names, be it because it links them to other games, for RP reasons, or whatever. In any case, you can't say that because it doesn't matter to you it shouldn't matter to anyone. As I've explained there's more fair ways of solving naming conflicts, and no one would complain in those situations.

Cheers.

No. the person who acquired the names on the destination server has every right to keep the name or names. That's how every mmorpg works that has transfers. If you just happen to pick a server that didn't become one of the top populated servers, well that's tough. The price you will pay to get on a more populated server is always the name of your characters. In wow I had to change all the names of my characters when I xfer them over to illidan and after years of petition to get names I wanted I got all the hard to get names I originally wanted when I first xfer. Perhaps if the game last long enough you might be able to petition for the names you want and acquire said name or names.

Edited by Knockerz

You know they'll be axed eventually. Just from a cost management standpoint. It won't exactly be next month though.

And it will probably come after they introduce the new higher cap servers that they have talked about. That way they still avoid the bad PR of merging servers while doing what is effectively the same thing. Those servers look to be a good few months away and by then most people should have used the free transfer facility.

I am not paying for your screw ups, BEAware. If I can't transfer without a fee and my server dies I will leave the game (I am on my 3rd one and I am not doing it again) I have given you enough. Hopefully it won't come to this but I am skeptical about your intentions with these transfers when looking at the above quoted line.

You won't be paying, the free transfers are their way of fixing the mistake of opening so many servers by consolidating the current players onto a smaller number of servers. In the future they will allow the option of freely transfer to any server you want but that will probably cost money, but that sort of transfer is not fixing a mistake.

Edited by Arlbo_Nabbins

No. the person who acquired the names on the destination server has every right to keep the name or names. That's how every mmorpg works that has transfers. If you just happen to pick a server that didn't become one of the top populated servers, well that's tough. The price you will pay to get on a more populated server is always the name of your characters. In wow I had to change all the names of my characters when I xfer them over to illidan and after years of petition to get names I wanted I got all the hard to get names I originally wanted when I first xfer. Perhaps if the game last long enough you might be able to petition for the names you want and acquire said name or names.

Was your transfer voluntary? Did you know that the server you were leaving would be closed eventually if you didn't transfer? The problem is not just the way they're arbitrating name collisions, it's the combination of essentially forced transfers and arbitrating name collisions based on the target server.

That's why earlier in the thread I suggested a much more elegant solution for transfers/merges. Close a bunch of servers, open a few, let people sign up for the new servers in the order they joined. Yes, people are still going to lose names, and it sucks that we're paying for Bioware's mistake of opening up way too many servers at launch. The difference here is at least I know I lost my name to someone who has also been playing since early access and, more importantly, is still actually playing the game. It's inconvenient and mildly annoying to lose your names to someone who's been playing since day one and is still actively playing, it is downright insulting to lose it to someone who played their free month and left or that just bought the game last week.

I don't know why you people propose such horrible alternate to the current transfer system. It's more work for BW only to appease a few people who want to keep their names. I doubt it you losing your name will be due to some one new. Most likely said person started playing on the first month of swtor or was an early adopter of the game, but has since quit. In either case, base on what I read it appears that BW will target the more populated, probably standard servers, and start to populated them. Once a certain population target is reach, BW will move down the populated servers down to the lighter populated servers. I'm also certain that several servers will be shutdown as it doesn't make sense to keep running servers that only have handful of players.

Edited by Knockerz

Was your transfer voluntary? Did you know that the server you were leaving would be closed eventually if you didn't transfer? The problem is not just the way they're arbitrating name collisions, it's the combination of essentially forced transfers and arbitrating name collisions based on the target server.

It wasn't a free transfer. I had to xfer all my high levels to illidan too, which wasn't cheap. If Blizzard offered a free xfer to a higher populated server I wouldn't have complained. If you don't like it there you can always pay to transfer to the server of your choice. The difference being you have to pay if you want to transfer to a server of your choices. If you take the free xfer you lose your name, but it's not like you payed to xfer. Otherwise, what difference does it make? It's not like your going to keep playing on a dead server. If you payed xfer, your probably going to pick a heavy populated server, which means your going to lose your name anyway.

The point I'm making is knowing which server at launch will have a healthy population for any mmorpg is purely luck of the draw. You simply lost that draw and now you have to make a decision if your going to continue to play and accept that fact your name will need to be change or quit. It's that simple.

Edited by Knockerz

I would really like to get away from my current server and the obnoxious guilds there. I would preferably also like to move back to an EU server, I'm currently on a US EST server.

Ok, so saying that you didn't take the time to read everyone else's feedback essentially dismissing the rest of the community.

More importantly your question is pretty clearly addressed in the blog post that is under discussion, and in general your question is answered by the definition of the words. Origins are Origins and therefore not Destinations.

This concerns me a LOT:

"Depending on the number of characters transferred, the destination and origin servers eligible for transfer may be altered during the process"

So if I transfer and my guild-mate transfers 2 days later, he or she may be ineligible to transfer to the same destination server. That is NOT COOL.

Its probably unlikely to happen with the system they are proposing but they are not going to rule it out, I see this statement as a bit of CYA in case it has to be done. BW are going to be producing the combinations of the "from" and "to" servers, it should be pretty easy for them to predict that a set of, for example, 3 "from" servers and 1 "to" servers should result in the target server ending up at a good population without being overfull.

So they announce the transfer of Server A to Server D, once that has been running a while and they see how D is filling up they then announce Server B to Server D. Once that has been done they can then decide if they want to announce Server C to Server D or, if D has filled up nicely, Server C to Server E.

However that might not still be true in a couple of months so they are never going to say that they won't change the transfer possibilities.

Edited by Arlbo_Nabbins

Actually, BW should implement a policy like Blizzard over characters names. If said account holder of said character name has been inactive and based on character level, then a decision should be made to open up said name. In wow if a person lets say hasn't been active with their account for some time and depending on character level, then you can release said name. However, in my experience characters near the max level never had their names released. Thus, I suspect that unless some one has a low level and is on an inactive account, then I doubtful said name will be released until a next expansion or a few months into that expansion. I know it took me nearly two expansion to get the names I wanted from people who stop playing the game.