Why are augments valued so low on the market?

Duart

I have toons on 5 different servers both Europe and NA and on all of them even Augments with quite high stats have very low (less than the cost of crew finding them in almost all cases) prices on the market place are they intended to be a credit sink?

Because before the nerf (and perhaps still after) there was an extremely large slicer population who only did augment missions so they could level the skill faster for better lock boxes. Alternatively they wanted a specific stat, and since augments are random, got a lot of augments useless to them. Armor with augment slots are also fairly rare for anyone who isn't armormech or synthweave, so there isn't much demand, either. Both of these contribute to augments being under valued.

Because Crafted gear sells like crap.

Only rare crit crafted gear has augments.

Add to that average piece of gear is less than that of quest rewards and commendation gear, leads to very few crafters trying to sell their wares (esp the crit crafted stuff).

There is simply very little use for Augments. People buy orange gear and modifications from vendors, none of which have Augment slots. BioWare insured that crafted gear, for the most part, is unwanted. On top of that, crafted gear with an Augment slot is rare, thanks to the low chance of producing one.

As a Slicer, about the only Augments you're going to be selling are level 50 purples and blues, but only the kind with good stats. Good luck getting that. Mostly what you'd be doing by running Augment missions is getting green pieces with garbage stats, which only the vendor wants. It's a horrible system.

Even then, it's kind of funny, but I don't think a lot of people understand how Augments actually work. I made quite a few blue Level 49 ear-pieces, but have had trouble selling them. Meanwhile, purple pieces with NO Augment slots sell at a much higher price, despite the fact that the blue piece with a slot is SUPERIOR. If you put a blue Augment into it, the stats will be higher than the purple piece, AND you can pick which stat you want to focus on. It's kind of amusing, but also kind of sad. I guess people just want to have purple over blue no matter what.

Augments come from slicing..... Slicing is about getting credits and keeping lots of bag space clear.... Augments don't stack, so you get 10, they take 10 different slots even if 5 are the same item.... Placing them for a few credits on the GTN is better then selling to a vendor.

I personally leveled so fast I didn't bother with augmented gear as I leveled. I got to 50 and over half of each day is spent getting pvp and other daily's ran. In 2 weeks I have a full set of pvp gear on my character, half a set of raid gear, and a full set of pvp gear on my main companion. So why use 124 rating items with augment slots when you can get 136 rating items which are better.

There is simply very little use for Augments. People buy orange gear and modifications from vendors, none of which have Augment slots. BioWare insured that crafted gear, for the most part, is unwanted. On top of that, crafted gear with an Augment slot is rare, thanks to the low chance of producing one.

As a Slicer, about the only Augments you're going to be selling are level 50 purples and blues, but only the kind with good stats. Good luck getting that. Mostly what you'd be doing by running Augment missions is getting green pieces with garbage stats, which only the vendor wants. It's a horrible system.

Even then, it's kind of funny, but I don't think a lot of people understand how Augments actually work. I made quite a few blue Level 49 ear-pieces, but have had trouble selling them. Meanwhile, purple pieces with NO Augment slots sell at a much higher price, despite the fact that the blue piece with a slot is SUPERIOR. If you put a blue Augment into it, the stats will be higher than the purple piece, AND you can pick which stat you want to focus on. It's kind of amusing, but also kind of sad. I guess people just want to have purple over blue no matter what.

Sad, I have been looking for implants with mod slots for that reason, I like adding the stats i want

Augments are fairly useless because....

1. Only crafted gear can have a slot.

2. Usually the best end game gear is not crafted.

3. The crafted gear has to be "crit" in order to have a slot which means even on crafted gear it is rare to have a aument. No one is going to sit there all day crafting lvl 25 gear until they get a crit, it's just not worth it.

So basically, there is no demand for augments. (Honestly how often does anyone go shopping for an augment? I never had to....)

:mad:

Edited by Purlana

Actually, seeing as taking slicing usually fills the spot other mission skills would take (ie ..treasure hunting, investigation, etc) ..slicers should be able to RE augments for a chance at the blue and purple mats.

Slicing is a gathering skill, not a mission skill. Neither gathering or mission skills allow you to RE items. Only crafting skills do.

Everyone, their mother, and their cousin started with slicing so there are far more augments on the market than they planned for. That's why the prices are so low. So much competition.

Even with no competition the price would be low. I believe that even if most people drop slicing for bio the prices will remain pretty stable.

The demand just isn't there from the get go...

(Look at the ship upgrade patterns, they still sell pretty well even with all the slicers)

Edited by Purlana

Everyone, their mother, and their cousin started with slicing so there are far more augments on the market than they planned for. That's why the prices are so low. So much competition.

Wrong.

The prices are low because Augments are useless.

Stop whining, BW already killed Slicing. Leave it rest in peace.

there isnt a market for augments for most player toons. the game gives orange modable pieces for quest gear at every level. also the crit rate is rather low to get the slot in the first place. usually when i do get one it is for companion armor or for stuff im going to reengineer. my synthweaving is at 380 and at most i have put 5-6 pieces of blue aug slot armor on khem total so far. every few levels i make him new blue armor so whats even the point.

the fault really doesnt involve slicers nor the nerf to them. if no one uses a item there simply isnt a market for it no matter how many or few people get the said item.

the only solution i can think of is to increase the crit rate to get a augment slot. perhaps other crafting professions have better results but for me it is rather pointless to even try to get one. it is something that if it happens it happens if not oh well.

Like it has been said there is little to no demand for Augments. Now if orange gear had or could have augment slots then there might be a slight demand. As of this moment end game is neither crafted nor orange gear even so augments are extremely useless sadly.

I'm always searching the auction for the right augment to stick in an implant, and jack the price up. What normally sells for 5,000 credits can sell for 25,000 if I put the right augment in it.

I have slicing too, but it's a lot easier just to spend 500 credits on the auction for the right augment than to send my whole crew out on missions for an hour hoping for something useful.

the only aug I got was on a quest at the beginning of the game. later-on someone was nice enough to make me a slotted ear piece, so I was lucky to have this stuff early on. i also love buying an augment for a few hundred creds when someone else a few pages away is selling the same thing for a few thousand. lol

Actually, seeing as taking slicing usually fills the spot other mission skills would take (ie ..treasure hunting, investigation, etc) ..slicers should be able to RE augments for a chance at the blue and purple mats.

Slicers can't, but Artificers can RE augments for archaeology mats. With the low price of augments, it's a pretty cheap way to get mats.

People are so used to shouting that crafting sucks and is useless, that they haven't noticed some epic crafted pieces with augment slots are in fact better than the Rakata ones (with the right lv 49 epic augment, of course).

I just buy all the useful augments I can find for cheap. Even if I don't get the slots to use all of them, my pets can put them to good use.

It's simple.

Critted crafts are very rare. I've crafted lots, and lots, and lots of items in my grind to 400 Synthweaving. I can count the number of critted items I have made on one hand.

The time and material cost to make critted items with augment slots is not worthwhile. I spend enough time RE-ing green to blue to purple.

Are you using companions with maxed affection and a profession bonus (if available)?

I'm not particularly lucky (it took me ages to get the purple earpiece I wanted), but mine return 2/5 or 3/5 with augment slots when I make a blue batch. It's actually rare that they don't crit at all.

The best thing to do is to RE only the regular ones and keep the augmented ones to use or sell. While it slows down your discovery process, you can make a fair bit of money like this. My lv 49 blue earpieces with augment slots have been selling very well so far.