More players

Prestege

Are you kidding? I stopped playing for a couple of months and i was impressed with how many players there were in Ossus, Odessen and the fleet. Especially for a non reset day.

At least on Darth Malgus. Dunno where you people are. But i have had a totally different impression.

And btw, SWTOR is probably the most new player friendly mmo out there. Have you tried FFXIV? or even WoW? It's very easy to feel overwhelmed.

Edited by Nemmar

SWTOR's almost 8 years old; I imagine anything that would bring in new players in any kind of significant numbers would be a console port, and the requisite redesign of the game that would be required for that.

Personally, I think that'd be great, but I really don't see EA investing that kind of money into SWTOR after this long.

If they decided to do some or all of these I could see a mix of returning and new players:

- add more species because I know there are more then just one person out there disappointed in the lack of available races to be played especially after so many years

- another class, though not sure what that would be, because I've seen that mentioned quite a bit

- give classes a 3rd spec because I've seen this mentioned quite a bit also

- more story, which is coming with Onslaught, because story is the main thing in SWTOR

- more companion romance and story which I don't care about but I've seen a lot of support and love for that stuff from others so to each their own

- difficulty slider and option to turn off passive Legacy perks to give those that want a challenge more of it. Buffing mobs that new players might find difficult because they have zero Legacy perks could turn them off.

- ability to slow the leveling speed because some think they level to fast which I also believe but I think it is in a nice in between state right now

They can't even get more players into their brand new Anthem now. Don't you think they'd rather try to spend effort there? After all wasn't/isn't that their focus?

As it is my sub runs out in 3 days, I think I'll wait a bit until the "spectacle de merde" dies down, read the forums (runes) to see when is an auspicious moment to resub.

Basically what ReverendAnderson said.

Are you kidding? I stopped playing for a couple of months and i was impressed with how many players there were in Ossus, Odessen and the fleet. Especially for a non reset day.

At least on Darth Malgus. Dunno where you people are. But i have had a totally different impression.

Darth Malgus is awesome! Unfortunately, my ping isn't great there, nor should I have to switch servers just so I can play with other people; at that point, the game might as well not even be worth playing. Star Forge isn't as populated, but my ping is good and at least I still have my Outfit tabs. And the guild that I am in is good enough.

Edited by ForfiniteStories

Basically what ReverendAnderson said.

Darth Malgus is awesome! Unfortunately, my ping isn't great there, nor should I have to switch servers just so I can play with other people; at that point, the game might as well not even be worth playing. Star Forge isn't as populated, but my ping is good and at least I still have my Outfit tabs. And the guild that I am in is good enough.

What do you mean? I play on Star Forge and it is busy 95 easy on fleet or more. 100 to 150+ on starter planets som days is not empty unless you think if we don't have 18 maps open at all times it is too empty???

When Ossus came out there was 25 maps open and so Star Forge waxes and wanes depending on the time of the day or the day of the week. Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays from 5PM eastern to midnight Pacific time is prime time for most. If you do not play during those times it can seem empty.

What do you mean? I play on Star Forge and it is busy 95 easy on fleet or more. 100 to 150+ on starter planets som days is not empty unless you think if we don't have 18 maps open at all times it is too empty???

When Ossus came out there was 25 maps open and so Star Forge waxes and wanes depending on the time of the day or the day of the week. Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays from 5PM eastern to midnight Pacific time is prime time for most. If you do not play during those times it can seem empty.

Agreed. Every time I go to the Fleet, it's quite packed; mostly with players looking for groups to do OPS. Still, always a good thing to see, and you're right: Star Forge is highly populated at night.

If they decided to do some or all of these I could see a mix of returning and new players:

- add more species because I know there are more then just one person out there disappointed in the lack of available races to be played especially after so many years

- another class, though not sure what that would be, because I've seen that mentioned quite a bit

- give classes a 3rd spec because I've seen this mentioned quite a bit also

- more story, which is coming with Onslaught, because story is the main thing in SWTOR

- more companion romance and story which I don't care about but I've seen a lot of support and love for that stuff from others so to each their own

- difficulty slider and option to turn off passive Legacy perks to give those that want a challenge more of it. Buffing mobs that new players might find difficult because they have zero Legacy perks could turn them off.

- ability to slow the leveling speed because some think they level to fast which I also believe but I think it is in a nice in between state right now

I'm keying off the phrase "and new players" above.

People flipping through a PC gaming magazine or pc gaming web site coming upon a SWTOR advertisement (or even a full review) won't be swayed to play a game they've never played before because there's suddenly a new race in that same game they've never played before, or a difficulty slider in that game they've never played before, or any other single feature, mentioned above or otherwise, other than this is a Star Wars-ish game.

Details of what any one of us as established players may want is not the draw for new players. The draw is that it's Star Wars (ish). That's what drew me in 2013. Not that there was a new crystal color coming out or a new species. I investigated the game because it was Star Wars, and for no other reason, and at least back then, there was more hype about the game.

First, it's got to be advertised. People can't play what they don't know about, and I see damn little on the web outside of EA's immediate sphere promoting the game. A twitter feed and a face book page doesn't cut it. Banner ads, full-page magazine ads, maybe even a 15-second TV commercial, a full-size stand-up cardboard kiosk display in Wal-Mart, SOMETHING. EA is relying on secondary sources (community content creators, Dulfy, SWTOR fashion, etc.) to do the work EA's own direct advertising should be doing. Direct advertising in gaming channels by EA is totally lacking.

Go to any gaming website and link to me a SWTOR ad. You know what's front and center on pcgamer.com's news list right now? A review leak article of Sims 4's next expansion. SWTOR? Advertised? Nowhere on pcgamer. Is that web site really that expensive to buy clicks?

Yesterday on PC Gamer was an article about evil play-throughs, and KOTOR was mentioned, not SWTOR:

Do you bother with evil playthroughs? Have you gone full dark side in Knights of the Old Republic, or just been a bit racist about aliens in the first Mass Effect? Snapped at Clementine in The Walking Dead? Kicked a puppy? Let us know.

The banner ad atop pcgamer? A $150 Best buy card for Verizon. Another one farther down for a computer. Side banners left and right on the page for the same computer.

You would think for a web site that bills itself as "THE GLOBAL AUTHORITY ON PC GAMES" that EA would want more of a direct presence there to promote its games in the form of ads.

People can't play what they don't know about.

Edited by xordevoreaux