Has this game turned you "off" to MMOs in general?

Kentontudor

I think 95% of the people here played World of Warcraft and had a great time with the game at some point. You get tired of a game and angry with the way the changes/expansions are installed which is understandable...

This game had so many Star Wars fans licking their chops and thinking that this would be the next great thing, because it's STAR WARS... and I had sworn allegiance to this game no matter if I hated it even before I played... but I hit Battlemaster about 2 months ago and stopped playing shortly after. Man I wanted this game to work.

I find myself still coming back to these forums because I care about the game and I invested so much to the forums leading up to the game.

I think we wanted this game to save us from the MMO genre that we knew as "WoW," but I think it turned me off to the whole genre as a whole and I have now lost faith. :(

I do however hope that this game succeeds (but I don't see that happening) and I hope people continue to casually have fun with it.

And seriously, you can have my stuff. First person to send me a message gets my stuff.

Good luck with the game!

Cheers!

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has this game turned you "off" to MMOs in general?

Yes, this game has turned me off to other MMOs. I don't play any existing MMOs anymore (besides SWTOR) and am not particularly interested in any upcoming ones.

So "yes" to MMOs in general; "no" to this specific MMO.

Edited by sjmc

MMOs in general put me off, but being an addict Im still here. Probably more to do with the current generation of players that the MMOs are catering to than the MMOs themselves. They need to realign target markets instead of appealing to everyone, which from a business standpoint means they make less, but from a gamer standpoint would improve satisfaction with going to the game tailored to you.

On the contrary, this game has replenished my desire to play MMOs.

I never played WOW and never wanted to. I never wanted to play many of them at all, except for STO which was a colossal flop IMHO.

BioWare has changed all of that. This is my new game. It will be so for a long while to come.

I think 95% of the people here played World of Warcraft and had a great time with the game at some point. You get tired of a game and angry with the way the changes/expansions are installed which is understandable...

This game had so many Star Wars fans licking their chops and thinking that this would be the next great thing, because it's STAR WARS... and I had sworn allegiance to this game no matter if I hated it even before I played... but I hit Battlemaster about 2 months ago and stopped playing shortly after. Man I wanted this game to work.

I find myself still coming back to these forums because I care about the game and I invested so much to the forums leading up to the game.

I think we wanted this game to save us from the MMO genre that we knew as "WoW," but I think it turned me off to the whole genre as a whole and I have now lost faith. :(

I do however hope that this game succeeds (but I don't see that happening) and I hope people continue to casually have fun with it.

And seriously, you can have my stuff. First person to send me a message gets my stuff.

Good luck with the game!

Cheers!

It's just WoW-burnout, you get used to certain things and want them in other games. I played Rift after WoW, it was pretty much the same, just new and shiny ;) swtor had me hooked from the beginning and I was so NOT looking forward to it because it meant my Rift raiding guild disbanding, leveling was just the single best experience ever in a mmo. Still, SWTOR lacks many things and the worst part is that so much of these endless patches and bugs reminds me of WoW, Blizz also took forever and ever to fix certain things or didn't get it right for a very very long time and ignored the community (at least didn't answer, or if they answered it was just wrong in the eyes of most players).

I really really REALLY liked Trion for this one, every single patch made sense, balancing was topnotch for a total of 32 (!) skilltrees across 4 classes that you could mix together any way you wanted and raid content was fun and challenging (starting Hammerknelle, the other two were pretty much just easing into raids like in any other game). After I've seen how fast patches could be applied, how there was maybe a 3 hours downtime if any every week in Rift and how well issues the community brought up were adressed I thought I've found my game - sadly I was the the only one, in the end left the game because everyone else did, if hey gained more subscribers on german servers (I play there) I'd go back in a heartbeat (and still buy swtors exanpsions just for the class stories cause these are fun^^).

I think people want an mmo to be like the one and only game they play and which they can play 8 hours a day without getting bored. This is simply impossible. They kinda want this game to have everything WoW had, just in a star wars setting with voiceovers and even more content and for it to be harder and easier at the same time... everyone that came here wanted something different wow lacked in their eyes - can't satisfy anyone. Staying btw for the same reason I played wow for sooo long - the people I play with and cause it's fun a few evenings a week, for everything else I have other games (currently addicted to NBA2k12 my player... again).

I hated WoW, seriously. Didn´t even play past the trial. I´m turned off by the oldschool "click x kill y" MMOs.

Secret World FTW, puzzles and investigation missions all over the place.

I can't wait until Secret World and also Titan (good ways down the road).

No, MMOs are still my favourite type of games. Sure, SWTOR could have been much better, but maybe they will improve in time (but I guess it might be too late for many who would liked that the game was not that flawed already). Anyway, I think GW2 will be the MMO that might bring fresh air into the MMO genre, while SWTOR tried too hard to be WoW in space.

Naa I think the new genre of mmo designs are doing it.. I miss the old original designs of open world social gaming in EQ1, DAoC and AC.. This new thing design of following the breadcrumbs till you reach end game "gear" grind is boring as hell.. It feels that 3/4ths of the end game is lobby based privately instanced grinds.. I don't see the MMO or the RPG in this generation anymore..

Naa I think the new genre of mmo designs are doing it.. I miss the old original designs of open world social gaming in EQ1, DAoC and AC.. This new thing design of following the breadcrumbs till you reach end game "gear" grind is boring as hell.. It feels that 3/4ths of the end game is lobby based privately instanced grinds.. I don't see the MMO or the RPG in this generation anymore..

Well, lucky you, those games are still around. Odd that you're not playing them, eh?

My wife has had the opposite experience. She is new to gaming and hence new to mmos and has discovered that she just loves playing an mmo. We play as a party and enjoy each others company in game. She is a "people watcher" and enjoys the antics of other players. She enjoys the crafting and is active on the GTN and gets a kick out of it. That is especially true when a piece of armor that she has crafted goes for a good price. She has loved the visual impact of certain planets such as Alderan and Belsavis (sorry if misspelled). She is playing a SW and just thinks that Vette is the greatest. So for her, this game has been a turn on to mmo's.

We both look at swtor and scratch our heads. BW has done so many great things and there are so many wonderful little things that we notice when we stop back and look that sometimes we are in awe. On the other hand, there are so many bugs, problems, screw ups, and limitations in the game that we are constantly surprised. It is like BW cooked a gourmet meal from scratch and did everything perfectly and then messed up on the spices.

In any case swtor is a turn on to mmos for both of us. It remains to be seen how long the good things will allow the continuation of enjoyment before the bad things leave a bad taste. In any case, we have decided that we will be playing mmos together for a long time. We thank BW for that. We are just not sure if the mmo that we play down the line will be swtor.

This game has made me never want to play any other game

And to more accurately reply to the OP, I think that this game has gone in the right direction for MMO's. I'm sick of static, storyless MMO's where you don't have any sense of choice or importance. SW:TOR has been excellent at changing that about this genre for me and I don't want to play anything else until they can match that aspect of this game. Believe me, many games coming out in the next few years are trying to match it and lol @ you if you think they'll do as good a job as BioWare has done with this game.

Well, lucky you, those games are still around. Odd that you're not playing them, eh?

Actualy I do play EQ1 since it's free to play.. but it and the other games are nothing like they used to be.. Maybe you should do you homework before posting?

/chuckle

I also wanted this game to be a success. Once my sub runs out, I hope to be done with these types of games.

For me TOR at the current state did not manage to draw me into the world of Star Wars. It lacks depths. It lacks variety. MMOs and RPGs are supposed to be about atmosphere and immersion, games which "devour your soul" if you play it a while. They could have done so much more with the fascinating and deep Star Wars universe.

In a few weeks I´m off to EA´s Secret World, loved the Beta which was incredibly immersive and thrilling - if TOR gets up to this state some day and also adds space, I´ll give it another shot.

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

This game has so far rekindled my desire to play an MMO. Although if it starts to head towards the E-Sport bull**** that WoW and other games have gone to, I'll likely pack my things and start looking at Skyrim or Dragon Age mods.....I want an MMO that breeds cooperation not competition, unless that competition is between guilds. I guess what I'm getting at is I don't want an MMOEPEENG.