Do you report offensive behavior that occurs in general chat?

Kabjat

Not sure if it because I have "thicker skin" or because I have delt with offensive chat for a long time now, but I rarely, if ever report someone for language. Now if it crosses a line set by what I believe to be over the top, then I will send them a /tell and mention that I think they are out of hand, but even then I try to just mention it in a nice way.

All different ages, all different maturity levels, all different mentalities, there is way to much to factor in when reading chat. Common sense to me might not be for someone else so I tend to just ignore most foul language. I have a filter I can use if I want and I can turn off the chat as well.

With that said, I will comment back in chat when they have said something very wrong. I want that to be as public as chat allows. Cuss words are one thing, but threats and other statements that have no place in life, much less in a game need to be address so people dont think it is acceptable. :D

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Define abusive to your own terms, dont define it for other people, if you feel a certain violation to your safety or emotions, then portray it, but that shouldnt have anything to do with silencing individuals or ideal pushing.

What you are doing right now is not considered abusive in your own eyes?

I dont mind you attacking my character or my opinions on this matter, but if you want to use the word petty, you really need to re-evaluate your own behaviour before speaking

friendly advice

I don't have to "define it for other people", nor do I need to shut off all chat functions for you and those that are being rude, crude, abusive, and trolling.

I may be waiting for one of my friends to come on line and want to chat with them in private. I may be trying to look for a group, which is pretty hard to do with the chat off, right? I may be looking to see if someone is posting a deal for items or supplies I may want, you never know.

But why should you dictate how I run my chat screen. It is not up to you to tell me how to run my ui, that is not your place. It is however up to me to report any offense that occurs that is noteworthy to me, because it is noteworthy to me, get it? BW can figure it out for themselves from there if need be, but they will not notify me of the outcome of course.

So I will not shut off my chat functions and take myself out of the "world" that I too pay for. I also will not put up with abuses, and those that do are part of the problem. Either by doing it, or encouraging it. The decline of civilization, please don't add to it, or bring it to a game I play to relax.

I don't have to "define it for other people", nor do I need to shut off all chat functions for you and those that are being rude, crude, abusive, and trolling.

I may be waiting for one of my friends to come on line and want to chat with them in private. I may be trying to look for a group, which is pretty hard to do with the chat off, right? I may be looking to see if someone is posting a deal for items or supplies I may want, you never know.

But why should you dictate how I run my chat screen. It is not up to you to tell me how to run my ui, that is not your place. It is however up to me to report any offense that occurs that is noteworthy to me, because it is noteworthy to me, get it? BW can figure it out for themselves from there if need be, but they will not notify me of the outcome of course.

So I will not shut off my chat functions and take myself out of the "world" that I too pay for. I also will not put up with abuses, and those that do are part of the problem. Either by doing it, or encouraging it. The decline of civilization, please don't add to it, or bring it to a game I play to relax.

Good job trying to prove a point that has absolutely nothing to do with my post, maybe learn to read before you start learning how to provide a valid arguement

Good job trying to prove a point that has absolutely nothing to do with my post, maybe learn to read before you start learning how to provide a valid arguement

Actually, I think I did. And I did read what you said, hence the answer.

THIS

especially because it is an online community, its honestly to be expected that people are able to exercise their freedom of speech more

Why do people assume that 'freedom of speech' applies to everything at all times? No government is censoring you, at most Bioware simply says what they will not tolerate players typing. You don't like it? Quit your subscription.

Thread: Do you report offensive behavior that occurs in general chat?

No, I do not report this kind of behavior. I tried it once and then I realized that I am just dumping about 40 minutes of my time each time I report someone (first writing the message and then a long conversation with GM that does end without a solution, because the GM cannot use time-stams...). No, I do not bother anymore. It is usually easier to ignore the offender. They usually do not spam general chat for more than 10 minutes.

I sometimes use bad language and have even slipped before and said a bad word in the presence of my children. It happens, we are all human, you move on and try to do better in future.

That is a very naive point of view. Many people which you call "the vocal minority" count this as the major part of their game-style. Adding them to the ignore list is the only solution unless you want to wait a few years until they grow up. This is the main problem of MMOs that have 12yo PEGI label on them.

Now some of you will just say, “The ignore button is your friend. /thread.” Well, my answer to that is, what do you do once your ignore list is full? At the rate one encounters players who engage in disgusting and offensive talk, that list would fill in one night. To me, that is not a solution.

I do not know for sure, but I doubt that Bioware would create an ignore list with such a low limit. And honestly, if you have the need to ignore so many people, there might be a problem with you yourself - you might simply have too high standards and too high expectations...

It’s also not a solution to just turn on language filter because let’s be honest…the language filter makes chat virtually unreadable.

Completely true. The way language filters are handled is rather laughable. The possibility of turing them off is the only good thing about them.

I wish there was a solution to your problem. The closest thing to a solution would be moving to an RP server. People are always more polite there. With a little bit of hyperbole, one could say it is full of nerds instead of bullies... ;)

Edited by Jedlosson

But seriously, if anyone does have a prob with someone using gratuitous profanity ingame, I highly suggest making sure you Profanity Filter is on, and if all the **** or ******** get on your nerves to that extent, put them on /ignore and go do a #2. :)

Btw, I actually put *s up there instead of actual profanity. :p

Edited by Captain_Zone

I'm republic on a european RP-server, so the issue hasn't really come up.

But of course I would report anybody who made fun of the fat butt my jedi has. When you're celibate you need your comfort food.

Edit:

I of course also report people if

- they are lazy typers. I don't need bad spelling to flourish and ruin my immersion. Troopers are exempt, as they aren't too bright to begin with.

- Naked dance. This is a RP server. Unless you're female and willing to upload a video of yourself on youtube doing the same to prove that it is valid RP.

- Jumpers. Walk or run. Jumping makes no sense and is just mocking suicide jumpers.

- Toons with clashing outfitting. My sensibilities get hurt when people accessorice as morons.

- People with bigass speeders running everybody else over. That's the first step towards being a genocidal duckwit.

Edited by Veniras