Reverse Engineering Revisions Required

Dieffenbachj

So I just spent the last 12 hours doing only two tasks: first, getting money through missions and PVP, and second, spending ALL of that money on materials for grinding recipes, so I can fully equip my level 50 character with purple gear.

The only problem?

Well, so far I've spent (rough estimate) 300,000-400,000 in credits (including the money I already have on hand) building blue items, and reverse engineering them. Or rather, I should say, building one type of blue item, and reverse engineering it alone. I have yet to get any purple recipes.

Okay, that's just sad. I've been crafting a while in this system, I have all sorts of purple recipes, and I know that spending 12 hours focusing on a single recipe and not getting it is over-the-top unlucky. So, I've been thinking: the reverse engineering system really has a flaw in it, that it allows these terribly bad situations to happen.

Why not alter the system? Instead of have a small drop rate on upgraded schematics per reverse engineer, why not have it so that the game randomly assigns a number, like between 1 and 20, of items that you MUST reverse engineer before the game will give you the upgraded recipe.

It will still be random! After all, some people will get it on the first time, most people will have to spend thousands of credits getting the upgraded recipe. But, there will never again be statistical outliers like me, who have spent basically more money researching a _SINGLE_ recipe than I've spent crafting on all of my max-skill crafting characters _COMBINED_.

It's ridiculous to think of how much money I've spent doing this, how long I've been trying to do this. I think it needs to get changed, the system needs to be less random... don't remove ALL the random, just, alter the system to be a reverse-engineer countdown until recipe drop, so that random outliers like me no longer exist.

Eh? Anyone agree? Disagree?

Edited by Dieffenbachj

I disagree. If it's bounded then everyone will just go ahead and do it. This will in turn kill crafting as pretty much every small guild upwards will have the items available for material cost, and the GTN will be flooded with cheap items due to people trying to recoup their initial costs.

If you don't want to fight the RNG then buy the items you need on the GTN. Two implants aren't going to cost that much, after all...

So I just spent the last 12 hours doing only two tasks: first, getting money through missions and PVP, and second, spending ALL of that money on materials for grinding recipes, so I can fully equip my level 50 character with purple gear.

The only problem?

Well, so far I've spent (rough estimate) 300,000-400,000 in credits (including the money I already have on hand) building blue items, and reverse engineering them. Or rather, I should say, building one type of blue item, and reverse engineering it alone. I have yet to get any purple recipes.

Okay, that's just sad. I've been crafting a while in this system, I have all sorts of purple recipes, and I know that spending 12 hours focusing on a single recipe and not getting it is over-the-top unlucky. So, I've been thinking: the reverse engineering system really has a flaw in it, that it allows these terribly bad situations to happen.

Why not alter the system? Instead of have a small drop rate on upgraded schematics per reverse engineer, why not have it so that the game randomly assigns a number, like between 1 and 20, of items that you MUST reverse engineer before the game will give you the upgraded recipe.

It will still be random! After all, some people will get it on the first time, most people will have to spend thousands of credits getting the upgraded recipe. But, there will never again be statistical outliers like me, who have spent basically more money researching a _SINGLE_ recipe than I've spent crafting on all of my max-skill crafting characters _COMBINED_.

It's ridiculous to think of how much money I've spent doing this, how long I've been trying to do this. I think it needs to get changed, the system needs to be less random... don't remove ALL the random, just, alter the system to be a reverse-engineer countdown until recipe drop, so that random outliers like me no longer exist.

Disagree

Leave it like it is...

Edited by pSyToR

It would be easier to simply increase the RE success chance on an item after each failure. Justify it as learning something new about the item you had not previously noticed (even though you built it... right). Even a .5% increase on a failed RE would mean that eventually you would be guaranteed a success on the item.

There's other approaches that could work in conjunction with the current system as well. Maybe a failed RE returns a new currency that can be collected and spent at your trainer for a random blue or purple recipe. This is another way that a recipe could be guaranteed after a certain number of attempts.

Honestly, I don't think RNG has a place in a crafting system. The guy who discovers a purple mod on the first RE is not any more invested or dedicated than the one who goes 250 attempts without any luck. I'm saying that as someone who stumbled on a purple mod on the first RE attempt and got a very good healer earpiece after 15-20 blue REs. I'm not bitter, in other words, but I still think the system is highly flawed.

They should simply set a number of RE attempts necessary for each step, and the number should be reasonable. Obviously, it should increase with level, and it should be higher for blue --> epic. I do think, however, that 30-35 max would be plenty for level 49 modifications and items.

Regarding non-linear items, I read a great idea the other day - allow us to choose a path (Vehemence, Veracity, etc) and RE until we get it.

Some streamlining needs to happen because the system is far too archaic and punishing at the moment.

I

I disagree. If it's bounded then everyone will just go ahead and do it. This will in turn kill crafting as pretty much every small guild upwards will have the items available for material cost, and the GTN will be flooded with cheap items due to people trying to recoup their initial costs.

If you don't want to fight the RNG then buy the items you need on the GTN. Two implants aren't going to cost that much, after all...

You're assuming that by doing this alteration to the system, it'll become easier. It won't.

Currently, there's an average value, a number of attempts required to get a purple. Let's say it's 15. There's also a range of values which are considered the most common, least unusual number of attempts--let's say, 10-20 (centered on the average of 15).

All they would have to do in a system like this is make sure that the number of times you have to reverse engineer to get a recipe is, on average, 15, most commonly between 10-20, with outliers going out from 1 to 30.

The result wouldn't be ANY different for the VAST majority of people. Almost nobody would notice the change because, again, this wouldn't actually increase or decrease the difficulty. All it would mean is that people couldn't get struck down by the luck gods--or at least, they couldn't get struck down any more than "30".

Since this system wouldn't actually alter the averages or the standard deviations, I don't see how it could possibly encourage single people or small guilds or whatever to grind out items more. Nor do I see how it would flood the market with items--because again, it wouldn't be any more expensive or difficult than it currently is for 99% of the public. It would only make it easier for that 1% who are WAYYYY statistical outliers.

QFE

Finally someone that thinks like a real crafter...

It definitely needs revisions.

For instance, the randomness associated with new patterns is ridiculous. After hundreds of thousands of credits spent, two of my first three ear-piece patterns had +Presence on them.

+Presence.

I couldn't give them away if I wanted to. Why is junk like this in the game? Why don't the patterns at least make sense? As it is, getting one of these trash patterns feels worse than getting nothing.

As for the randomness involved in getting any pattern at all, I think a top end of 100 attempts would be nice. If you RE the SAME pattern 99 times and get nothing, you still automatically get that pattern on the 100th attempt.

FYI, if you use your companion and keep him well equipped Presence is THE single best stat in the game you can gear. No other stat will benefit you as a duo more.

Additionally, any Tier 2 item will be inherently better than its Tier 1 counterpart (assuming you compare crit to crit) regardless of bonus stat.

RNG should have no place in any Crafting system,EVER.If you want to learn how to make something you take it apart and study it.then you try to put it back together again.You might have to do this ten times or more but each time you would get a better grasp on how it is built.If i studied a Car enough i could put one together from the parts of a car.It might take awhile but i could do it.

They need to overhaul the system totally and make RE'ing items give a set amount of points toward the next Pattern.when you accumulate enough points you are rewarded with a recipe.!-10 point per RE and when you hit 100 you get a pattern is how i would do it.

The only problem?

and let us do so there is will be only four buttons "Run," "fight", "guard" and "craft"

The simple fix for your issue is to very slightly increase the chance of a schematic popping with each RE. Which may or may not be in game as is - in which case, that's incredibly bad luck, or maybe the way the level 50 purples are supposed to be.

RNG should have no place in any Crafting system,EVER.If you want to learn how to make something you take it apart and study it.then you try to put it back together again.You might have to do this ten times or more but each time you would get a better grasp on how it is built.If i studied a Car enough i could put one together from the parts of a car.It might take awhile but i could do it.

They need to overhaul the system totally and make RE'ing items give a set amount of points toward the next Pattern.when you accumulate enough points you are rewarded with a recipe.!-10 point per RE and when you hit 100 you get a pattern is how i would do it.

The RNG has a place in any RPG system. It simulates that a person of a given skill can have different success on something due to any number of factors. It is an abstraction meant to represent not random chance, but rather an unusably large number of variables.

For example, you might have better success in taking apart a car to study it one time then another.

I spent millions to get the artifact tanking level 50 veracity galactic blaster rifle. That's right millions in credits alone from sending my comps on missions, that isn't even including the opportunity cost or cost of the materials themselves. someone else may have gotten it on their first try from both green to blue and blue to purp. I can't tell you if it should be different, but I certainly want it to be harder for others, but easier for me. I totally understand where you are coming from.

The reason i have little opinion on changing the RNG is because in the end it doesn't matter much, I get a TON of secondary stats from the artifact augmented, but customizable gear ends up being able to get so much more endurance, aim, and damage that those secondary stats don't matter and i effectively wasted all my creds for nothing since no one would even buy my blasters knowing that their custom they bought with commendations puts it to shame.