Starship Upgrades 6 or 7?

Speciest

Is it worth it to upgrade from level 6 starship upgrades (made with Cybertech) to level 7 starship upgrades (purchased with fleet commendation)?

A lot of the level 6 upgrades have multiple bonuses on them. Like shooting ten times per blast on the level 6 beam generator instead of six times per blast like the level 7 beam generator.

Is it worth it to upgrade from level 6 starship upgrades (made with Cybertech) to level 7 starship upgrades (purchased with fleet commendation)?

A lot of the level 6 upgrades have multiple bonuses on them. Like shooting ten times per blast on the level 6 beam generator instead of six times per blast like the level 7 beam generator.

So, I can't recall exactly which grade 6 component this is ... I believe its the Beam Generator slot ... but the grade 6 version adds to shield absorption, but sets the damage lower. Essentially, the difference becomes, if you use the grade 6 component in that slot, you do 1000 dps and have 825 shield size, versus the grade 7 components which give you 800 shield points armor but 1200 dps. I may be incorrect in terms of the exact numbers, or it could be the beam charger slot instead of the beam charger slot, but the end result is the same ... using the grade 6 comp in that slot results in very slightly more protection for a fair bit less dps. In every other slot, the grade 7 version outweighs the grade 6 combo buffs.

Its been years since I did the heroic space missions, but I can say that the dps loss is much more significant than the survivability gain. I mean, the shield pool boost is not going to be enough that you would somehow survive a collision with it versus without. Survival in those missions actually comes from:

1) Barrel rolls at the right time to avoid obstacles

2) good use of swapping power to weapons vs power to shields

3) good timing of EMP and the sensor jammer.

Edited by phalczen

I ended up doing the math, after I asked, and saw the number differences. I will work my way toward a set of 7 so I can try to tackle these space missions I had problems with at level 6 gear.

Thank you for the replies.

Because you've completed the regular missions already. After the first time they offer a repeatable "Operation ___" mission, usually for completing two. It doesn't change the fact that "Space Combat" is not necessarily enough to distinguish the regular missions from the heroics.

Because you've completed the regular missions already. After the first time they offer a repeatable "Operation ___" mission, usually for completing two. It doesn't change the fact that "Space Combat" is not necessarily enough to distinguish the regular missions from the heroics.

Thank you for edifying my post. According to OP it was in regards to grade 6 or 7, which indicates endgame space combat.