Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Get rid of subscription


TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
06.24.2019 , 09:51 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by buddydogputin View Post
Made it a one time purchase option. No free play, no preferred, just a one-time purchase
LoL, yep, one time purchase, AKA, buy the game for $89 and then pay for similar for major expansions.

If you mean pay $5 for some CCS, then you’re living in a fantasy

wmtyrance's Avatar


wmtyrance
06.24.2019 , 10:55 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by ThomasStarWars View Post
How did Guild Wars 2 or Elder Scrolls online pull it off?

SWTOR is the exact same.
I was going to say the same thing. GW2 never had a sub. and it's a top 5 MMO. People seem to forget that.

Keta's Avatar


Keta
06.24.2019 , 10:57 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by OlBuzzard View Post
... There was one other game that tried that: they went broke...
Two. I have (had?) lifetime subscriptions to 2 mmo's. Yeah both went broke.
Yes, another referral link; click it or don't. Free stuff for you, free stuff for me.

Phazonfreak's Avatar


Phazonfreak
06.24.2019 , 12:08 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by wmtyrance View Post
I was going to say the same thing. GW2 never had a sub. and it's a top 5 MMO. People seem to forget that.
People also seem to forget that the business model is inherently different to Swtor and more akin to mobile games, since you stumble upon major drawbacks and artifical paywalls every step of the way. I only say black lion chests and keys...

Mubrak's Avatar


Mubrak
06.24.2019 , 12:39 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by ThomasStarWars View Post
How did Guild Wars 2 or Elder Scrolls online pull it off?

SWTOR is the exact same.
Well, ESO's incentive for "subbing" (it's actually handled like bonus feats for a subscription to buy cash store currency) is that they keep your inventory space hostage, having more crafting mats than swtor, more useful and relevant crafted items, as well as loot drops and consumables, but no personal storage and far less legacy bank space.

Get "ESO plus" for a bottomless legacy wide crafting bag where your mats are automatically put in when you pick them up and pulled out when you craft something. And double bank space, and hey, double housing decorations too, you want to nicely decorate your $100 house, don't you? Heck, you'll even get a disount on one cash-shop item of our choice every week!

Those new quest zones / dungeons? Subscribe to buy cash store currency to get free access while you stay subbed, or buy them separately in the cash store. Expansions? Available at AAA full game price in the retail shop of your choice.


What's different about ESO/ZOS is that they aren't just a small cog in a humongous corporation, but part of a small group of game studios that can cross-finance each other. That allows them to produce higher quality content (there, I said it...) before they cash in on it, but cashing in they do...
Let us sort our companion list and hide or kick out the unwanted ones!

http://www.swtor.com/r/rszTdG

denisdenizg's Avatar


denisdenizg
06.24.2019 , 12:52 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
LoL, yep, one time purchase, AKA, buy the game for $89 and then pay for similar for major expansions.

If you mean pay $5 for some CCS, then you’re living in a fantasy
How many $ did you spend from last expansion till today? I just wonder... LoL... From player point of view, it would be way cheaper to one time pay this game, and then pay for expansion again... But from company point of view, it is better for them to earn on little transactions every now and then, that in most cases gets underlooked by players...Because ts 15$ per month right? Who cares for 15$, but when you add all those little micro transactions from last exp till today, well its not so small sum of money... Its pure psychological manipulation....

UmbralSpirit's Avatar


UmbralSpirit
06.24.2019 , 01:04 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by ThomasStarWars View Post
How did Guild Wars 2 or Elder Scrolls online pull it off?

SWTOR is the exact same.
ESO is not a one-time purchase and GW2 is basically a mobile game.

Phazonfreak's Avatar


Phazonfreak
06.24.2019 , 02:13 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by denisdenizg View Post
How many $ did you spend from last expansion till today? I just wonder... LoL... From player point of view, it would be way cheaper to one time pay this game, and then pay for expansion again... But from company point of view, it is better for them to earn on little transactions every now and then, that in most cases gets underlooked by players...Because ts 15$ per month right? Who cares for 15$, but when you add all those little micro transactions from last exp till today, well its not so small sum of money... Its pure psychological manipulation....
And how many $ do you think most of the players of ESO and GW2 spend from the time the game was released to the next expansion? I am pretty sure not nothing. As Umbrak, UmbralSpirit and me explained, GW2 and ESO are not as much one time purchases as they appear at first, because they generate their cash flow by artificially limiting mechanics like inventory space and loot boxes which you can lift with real money. All the while bringing out new story chapters and dungeons for which you have to pay again if you want to run them at all or not be limited by a harsh lockout.

The psychological manipulation you rightfully stipulate for the old-fashioned subscription model of WoW, SWTOR and the likes is most certainly not different from the manipulation of the supposed one time purchase of ESO, GW2 and their fellows in terms of trying to make the biggest buck. It's just a different business model and I would even claim that the latter model (which took the newly developed monetization scheme of mobile games in the wake of smartphones as an example) tends to fall way more into the category of manipulation, since it is steeped in background cashing.

denisdenizg's Avatar


denisdenizg
06.24.2019 , 02:53 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Phazonfreak View Post
And how many $ do you think most of the players of ESO and GW2 spend from the time the game was released to the next expansion? I am pretty sure not nothing. As Umbrak, UmbralSpirit and me explained, GW2 and ESO are not as much one time purchases as they appear at first, because they generate their cash flow by artificially limiting mechanics like inventory space and loot boxes which you can lift with real money. All the while bringing out new story chapters and dungeons for which you have to pay again if you want to run them at all or not be limited by a harsh lockout.

The psychological manipulation you rightfully stipulate for the old-fashioned subscription model of WoW, SWTOR and the likes is most certainly not different from the manipulation of the supposed one time purchase of ESO, GW2 and their fellows in terms of trying to make the biggest buck. It's just a different business model and I would even claim that the latter model (which took the newly developed monetization scheme of mobile games in the wake of smartphones as an example) tends to fall way more into the category of manipulation, since it is steeped in background cashing.
Where did i mentioned ESO, GW2 or compared SWTOR with them, or even mentioned "spending nothing" LoL...? Do you have problems with reading?

QuinlanSaathis's Avatar


QuinlanSaathis
06.24.2019 , 03:23 PM | #20
I currently own 4 lifetime accounts for various games and even now 7 years in I would buy it for SWTOR.

They usually cost around $300 USD