Back after a break. What should I do?

RafaelPeretz

As the title says: I'm completely lost after a break from the game.

I mained a Sin/Shadow back then, but invested some time in multiple toons: Sent/Mara and Guard/Jug and Slinger/Sniper.

Right now I'm with a lot of responsabilities IRL, so I whant to pick wisely one the above mentioned classes to play, since I don't have a lot of time to play on a daily basis.

What you guys recommend, based on the current meta? And what should I do to get geared (can I get geared playing only PvP)?

As the title says: I'm completely lost after a break from the game.

I mained a Sin/Shadow back then, but invested some time in multiple toons: Sent/Mara and Guard/Jug and Slinger/Sniper.

Right now I'm with a lot of responsabilities IRL, so I whant to pick wisely one the above mentioned classes to play, since I don't have a lot of time to play on a daily basis.

What you guys recommend, based on the current meta? And what should I do to get geared (can I get geared playing only PvP)?

Deception sin/shadow is considered to be really strong right now, but mostly due to the set bonus, so if you think you might have trouble getting fully geared (see below) then maybe that won't work for you. Other classes might also be dependent on set bonus, but sin/shadow is the one with the most complaints about OP right now. (Mostly, because one or two people have made it their mission to get the set bonus nerfed, but whatever.) If you do decided to go deception sin (infiltration shadow), look for Kre'a's deception sin gearing guide. Should still be in the first page or two of results here in the PvP forums.

Gearing - the general consensus is to run Master Mode flashpoints, and specifically, if you are stealth, run Red Reaper, where you can skip the mobs and run straight to the bosses, which is where the gear drops. People report gearing in a couple days this way. The other FP that gets a lot of mention is Hammer Station.

Gearing in PvP... hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Oh wait, were you serious? I guess you actually believed the "play your way". I feel sorry for you. I guess, technically, you *can* gear via pvp. But it will take forever. You can play a whole match, taking 20 minutes or so for an 8v8. And then you *might* get a box, if your team wins. If you do get a box, there seems to be about a 90% chance that it will drop gear that is below your iLevel and therefore useless. Or you can, in the same amount of time, rush through a couple red reapers and get 10 times the gear drops, and good chance of getting useful stuff as well.

Depending on how long you have been away you have some catching up to do. Hard to say if you have been here when we still had skill trees, expertise etc. Its best to take a look at your toons and level them up to 75 so that you get a hang of things. Websites like Dulfy stopped being updated so guides are a bit more rare now and out of date in some cases, but its not hard to get picture of the class does.

Its good you came back for 6.0 as it changes quite a few things, mainly the gearing. As it was already mentioned there is no pvp gear, just gear, which you use for both PVE and PVP. The funny thing is that atm its better to obtain the gear via PVE (specifically running the fastest Flashpoints on Master mode-Hammer station, Red Reaper). You get gear from each boss based on your current rating. If you are wearing 268 gear you will be getting 270 and so on, until you reach 306.

We got a lot of QoL improvements and in 6.0 all gear is legacy, even left side (relics, implants etc) so you can actually farm gear on one toon and send it over to others. You can even set discipline for which you get loot by right clicking on your portrait. So if you have a assasin, you can wear dps gear and get tank drops for example. Besides FPS you get Renow crates which also give you gear, but its much slower than drops from bosses or any other activity.

As for classes, all toons you mentioned are well off in 6.0 its about what you preffer. There are no real losers, if you are good with the class you will be fine.

I'd probably recommend Sin or Sniper of the ones you mentioned. Sin would be a great choice for a variety of reasons: easier to grind gear via FPs as stealth. Fairly easy to play. Very much OP atm.

And yea, it's a good time to return. A lot of people focus on the negatives, but 6.0 has given me (a pure pvper) something to do finally. Back when Ossus dropped, I had max gear the week the rep cap opened. After that... I muddled around with some alts' gear, but ultimately slid back to my old ways of simply queuing for PvP, watching TV on another monitor, and not caring how I progressed with other toons, other specs, etc. Now, with the new "horizontal" gear grind, even though I'm finished with my main set, my healing set, and possessing most tacticals I want, I can still work on getting other tacticals, other set bonuses, gearing crafter sets (amplifiers that add crit chance to crafters). I'm also not perfectly sorted in my amplifiers, as they've made maximizing your PvP stats a bit tricker. Which to me, is a good thing. So in my opinion, they took a page out of Eso's book and really put variety and options back in the game. Something we haven't seen since the skill trees.

As far as the "play your way" marketing... eh. Yea, it would be nice if they made the gear drops from, say, 3 hours of PVE, the same as doing 3 hours of PVP. Or at least somewhat similar. But the fact of the matter is you can get as much gear doing 3 hours of PVE as you can doing 3 days of PVP. And I haven't done the math on that, it just certainly seems that way.

I'd recommend leveling and gearing up your assassin first. You'll find the grind goes way better on a stealth class. And since all gear is now Legacy bound, you could always use your stealth class to grind for other classes. You'll just get a few random set pieces that you may not need. I did solo MM red reaper runs. Went by super fast. I went from 270 to 300 in 2 days (2 very boring days). But can you grind with just PVP? Yeah, sure. Is it effective use of time? Arguably no.

But on the flip side, I have a buddy who does not want to concern himself with any of the new gearing complexities. So he's just pvping and not worrying about it, and he's as happy as can be. Ignorance is bliss, so if you really don't want to PVE, you don't have to. But again, it is much quicker to grind via pve. And that really shouldn't be the case.

[in my opinion you should get a war zone lock box for every loss. And you should get a yellow lock box for every win. ]

But anyways, in my opinion 6.0 has really made the game more enjoyable in that I have a laundry list of pieces and amplifiers that I'm shooting for, that will be fun to get to. Gl

Edited by AndriusAjax

I'd probably recommend Sin or Sniper of the ones you mentioned. Sin would be a great choice for a variety of reasons: easier to grind gear via FPs as stealth. Fairly easy to play. Very much OP atm.

this. ^

Take your time, just solo FPs if you want to focus on getting gears at your own pace. With sin, you can stealth by mobs and gear up fastest. Plus the class got a lot of buffs with tacticals and gear sets.

Thank you guys! Apreciate all the advices.

I going to play with my Shadow to begin with.

Since gear is legacy, maybe I will be able to go through other toons and have some fun.

If you will play shadow its a good idea to solo the new flashpoint over and over again, the drops from it are same as in MM FPS. Its a silly grind, but as a stealther you will just do the bosses and will get higher gear each time you run the flashpoint. Solo version is fast to do as the bosses have little HP.

There's no gearing through pvp, period. Some people will say that it is "possible" but don't even bother.

My best advice is for you to level up a stealth class and find some Master Mode Red Reaper stealth runs at fleet, this way you can gear up very very quickly.

What do you mean by legacy gear? I just came back too and everything is nuts. Last I played we had skill trees and the fighter pvp thing didnt exist and the level cap was still 50 @_@.

Legacy Gear... you now have another thing you can level up called "legacy". The story idea being that it's some sort of connection between all your different characters (I guess like in the movies, everyone is related to every one else :p ). In game terms there is a "legacy" panel where you can buy perks that require some combo of legacy level, credits and/or cartel coins I think too. Things like faster travel, boost to XP, putting training dummies on your ship, lots of other things that I've never messed with. Legacy just levels up as you play. You don't have to do anything special to level it, and I don't think there is anything you can do special to make it level faster.

But there is also a new "bound" type for gear, "bound to legacy". Where "bound" (or maybe it says "bound to character") locks the gear to that specific charactor, "bound to legacy" means that you can send the gear to any character. We used to have mostly "bound" gear, and some "bound to legacy" shells. We were able to rip mod/enhancement/armoring/hilt/barrel out of bound shells, put them into bound-to-legacy shells, and then trade them to another character that way. But that didn't help the "left side", ear, implants and relics, which could not be traded.

Now everything (just about everything?) is bound-to-legacy, which is a big advantage in gearing, because once you get your first character to max (306), you can continue to grind with that character, and pass the gear along to any other character. Works best if the other characters you have that are of the same class. I.e. Assassin/Shadow, or commando/merc matchups. Because you will get mostly gear for your class, and in theory you can set a toggle in your character screen for which spec you want to get gear drops for. So for example you could, once you get to 306 on your Assassin tank, then set the gear drops to dps and pass the gear along to your Infiltration Shadow.

But even if they are not compatible classes like that, you will occasionally get gear drops that are for a completely different class (I've gotten barrels for my deception sin for example). It might be a question as to which is more effective, waiting for non-class gear drops from your 306, or just doing the grind again on the other character.

Farm MM Red Reaper FP 24/7 in stealth groups, actuall GF takes a long time to pop 15-30+ minutes on rep side. Then when u finally get 306 its far nor over yet, u need min/max ofc and farm set bonus, coz deception without set bonus is pretty mediocre and can be good at objectives and support CC mostly. I even don't want to farm this set - firts set makes deception braindead in rotation, second its far too long, very long. What i want is get much credits as i can on GTN and then mb returns when they fix tones of bugs and mb chages in farm gear. Edited by helpmewin