At What Point Will Swtor Not Be a "New Release?"

BCBull

Swtor is moving into it's second quarter. At what point will "The game was just released" no longer apply?

At what point should we hold BioWare accountable for things such as bugs (bugs haven't been a problem for me), performance, and content?

/discuss

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Swtor is moving into it's second quarter. At what point will "The game was just released" no longer apply?

At what point should we hold BioWare accountable for things such as bugs (bugs haven't been a problem for me), performance, and content?

/discuss

If you need a number, maybe after 1 year.

Or at least 6 months, based on the longest possible subscription period.

Edited by ConradLionhart

I tend to view the "new game" period of a title in this particular industry to be 6 months to a year. That said, even in the case of a longer time-to-maturity, notable improvements and additions have to be apparent at the 6 month mark. Edited by HeavensAgent

personally, that argument never held any weight for me. I get that it hasn't had as long as a development cycle as some of the other big name MMOs, and im not faulting the game for that. But the argument "it just came out" will turn into "its only 4 months old", "its only a year old" etc etc. Im not going to cancel my sub any time soon, and I get things take time, but that argument is paper thin in my opinion.

It’s as if you guys have never played an MMO? lol are you saying bashing the game for the last 5 months is giving Bioware a "pass'. There are thousands of threads whining about everything from graphics to PvP. What "pass" did we give Bioware? You’re still playing because you like some portion of the game or think it will improve to your liking. Or maybe you have nothing else to do…either way, the game and unfortunately software sometimes has bugs. Have you used a computer lately? Once your OS is bug free expect your MMO to be bug free as well.

so 6 months to a year BW should get a pass?

Why do some folk always have to see things so negatively? It's a new game, a new MMO, which means it will ALWAYS be evolving. There will be bugs, there will be additions, there will be nerfs.

Thinking in terms of "giving it a pass" accomplishes nothing save setting YOUR mind in a negative place which is going to lessen your enjoyment. Relax, enjoy what is and if you cannot do that...do something else.

Not a "pass", per say; you should never give a game you're invested in and want to see succeed a "pass". You need to provide feedback and advocate changes you want to see.

Any true judgements about the game, however, should wait until this period has elapsed.

Edited by HeavensAgent

Why do some folk always have to see things so negatively? It's a new game, a new MMO, which means it will ALWAYS be evolving. There will be bugs, there will be additions, there will be nerfs.

Thinking in terms of "giving it a pass" accomplishes nothing save setting YOUR mind in a negative place which is going to lessen your enjoyment. Relax, enjoy what is and if you cannot do that...do something else.

Would you have preferred I used a different term other than pass? At what point are complaints about content, bugs, and performance valid?

Would you have preferred I used a different term other than pass? At what point are complaints about content, bugs, and performance valid?

Never according to people that just love this game. If you criticize anything the wolves come out.

Your complaints are valid as soon as you have them.

How you respond after you have made your complaints ('you' being whoever has a complaint), seeing what the response has been to this point, is entirely up to you.

Personally, if was in possession of something that was more useless than useful, and I could not take it back for a refund, I would write it off as a life lesson and not use it any more and move on, hopefully finding something else that is more useful than useless to replace it.

There something wrong with "loving" the game? If you like it your a "fanboy" if you hate it ya "gotta go back to wow". I honestly don't see a specific number and as far as accountability goes that began the day of release. There are and continue to be patches and changes which will go on till the day the game ends whenever that may be. Go to forums of ANY mmo out there and you will find complaints about the game and it's issue regardless of its age.

If you are holding back judgement, look at the forums you are probably in the 1% category.

Dude. They're always valid. What is getting really old though is the constant whinging about 'em. Bugs take time to sort...how much time depends upon the bug. All the yowling in the world is not going to light any fires under any backsides. Either the company is devoted to fixing issues or they are not.

The lack of patience is astounding. It truly is.

Dude. They're always valid. What is getting really old though is the constant whinging about 'em. Bugs take time to sort...how much time depends upon the bug. All the yowling in the world is not going to light any fires under any backsides. Either the company is devoted to fixing issues or they are not.

As is the lack of specific feedback from Bioware. It truly is.

For me, it depends on what you are talking about at the time. If the complaint is that there are only x number of wz's, or y number of raids, yes, it is a valid answer, that the game is only 4 months old.

If the complaint is that the game engine runs like a game from the 90's, it needs to be optimized to meet this century, no, the argument that the game just came out does not fly. The engine should have been better at launch.

For bugs, depends on how serious they are. If you are still able to complete a quest / story line, then it's not game breaking.

Yeah it is and I was talking to a good friend in the industry about this; what investors and venture capitalist are seeing in the MMO community makes them never to want to invest in new MMO's. Here is a direct quote from Carl Rollings of Lightspeed Venture

"They are they whiniest hardest to please audience ever."

The first ripple was THQ crap canning Warhammer DM don't look for new titles announced this year or next (aside from Asian f2P games) also look for less expansions and content on established MMO's simply because you don't invest in an audience that hates you no matter what.

So what can we take away from this? The self entitled MMO players thought that by crying so much they would get these highly polished MMO's that had amazing endless content...instead they have pretty much killed the industry.

Achievement unlocked I guess.

Edited by Jett-Rinn

Never according to people that just love this game. If you criticize anything the wolves come out.

Wait...did "biodrone" go out of fashion already? :p

Realise that BOTH sides of the fence (so-called haters and fanbois/biodrones) are the extremes. Also, keep in mind that there is an awful lot of trolling on these boards.

I like the game. Love it? No. I reserve that emotion for people (okay and pets). Enjoy it a lot and am really curious to see how it evolves.

Wait...did "biodrone" go out of fashion already? :p

Realise that BOTH sides of the fence (so-called haters and fanbois/biodrones) are the extremes. Also, keep in mind that there is an awful lot of trolling on these boards.

I like the game. Love it? No. I reserve that emotion for people (okay and pets). Enjoy it a lot and am really curious to see how it evolves.

C'mon admit it you love pie too; it's okay you're amoung friends. :p

Yeah it is and I was talking to a good friend in the industry about this; what investors and venture capitalist are seeing in the MMO community makes them never to want to invest in new MMO's. Here is a direct quote from Carl Rollings of Lightspeed Venture

"They are they whiniest hardest to please audience ever."

The first ripple was THQ crap canning Warhammer DM don't look for new titles announced this year or next (aside from Asian f2P games) also look for less expansions and content on established MMO's simply because you don't invest in an audience that hates you no matter what.

So what can we take away from this? The self entitled MMO players thought that by crying so much they would get these highly polished MMO's that had amazing endless content...instead they have pretty much killed the industry.

Achievement unlocked I guess.

No surprise there. It seems to almost be a compulsion and I've noticed there are even "fads" with the OTT complaining. One person will post on an issue and the next thing you know...10 others will make their own threads about it. Rarely are they content to post in an existing thread. Mods are kept hopping to consolidate which then annoys the you-know-what outta the posters who wanted their very own thread on the latest complaint.

It's fascinating in a way.

As for the VC folk...I'd be nervous investing in one of these ventures. It's a risk. Some of 'em really take off and some flop horrendously. The stakes get higher and higher which is really a shame, actually. I'd like to see a relatively small indi house come up with a less formulaic game for those who are having hissy fits over the popular MMO formats. I can appreciate their frustration. But wow...it's a HUGE risk.