Returning PVPer

BonnerFett

Hi All,

I recently resubscribed to SWTOR after playing WOW for ages. I'm a PVP junkie. It's all I have time to do.

How is the PVP in SWTOR currently?

I have a few lvl 70 toons using 230 gear. Am I at a major disadvantage gear wise?

What classes are doing well in PVP?

What does 6.0 hold for pvp?

Hi All,

I recently resubscribed to SWTOR after playing WOW for ages. I'm a PVP junkie. It's all I have time to do.

I remember you! Welcome back. :p

How is the PVP in SWTOR currently?

In my opinion, probably about the same, just less population. Some changes that you may have missed...

PvP is now cross faction.

PvP now favors 8-man warzones over everything else. In practice that means that at level 70 you will get mostly 8v8s if you are on a fairly populated server (star forge for example - used to be that way on SS, but not sure now).

The system gives an arena if it doesn't have enough people in the queue after waiting for an undisclosed amount of time. In practice you get arenas sometimes at level 70. In lowbies and mids you get almost all arenas. You can get some 8-main in lows and mids during prime time EST.

Supposedly match making was implemented. Supposedly it tries to evenly divide up healers/tanks and then dps. Backfill though still takes whoever, so because of people quitting or not accepting pops you still get a lot of matches where the healer/tank ratio is off. Or also because there is only one healer (specially in lows/mids) I guess. Also supposedly the match making takes into account some hidden "skill measure" to try to make equally skilled teams. That doesn't seem to work at all.

Shield now works against crits - so I still think it's a bit of an open question as to whether going for shield/absorb is a workable combo now for PvP tanks.

I have a few lvl 70 toons using 230 gear. Am I at a major disadvantage gear wise?

Bolster should take you to 252 (one step below current max). *EXCEPT* your main hand. That doesn't bolster for whatever reason, and it makes a significant difference. So you probably want to do the Ossus story and then the "flesh and steel" mission to get your 252 main hand. Or, I'm not sure, maybe you can buy that level mods from GTN?

If you want to do ranked, well in theory you are still bolstered to 252 - but ranked folks will see "oh, 230 person!" and assume you are new and focus you first.

What classes are doing well in PVP?

In regs pretty much everything. Although I guess probably Merc/Mara/Sniper are top of the heap right now. I think vanguard is lowest. I know I've been leveling up a vanguard tank - got em into mids - and I finally gave up. Maybe I gave up too early, but man there was just nothing there seemingly... no reflect, no heal to full as you hit me, no stealth... I swapped back to leveling a sin tank.

What does 6.0 hold for pvp?

In my opinion it doesn't sound good, but I think you might want to look at another recent thread... I have a pre 6.0 question

I got toons with 230-248 rated gears, I quit when Ossus came out and just got back 2 weeks ago or so. I only PVP, and even without my MH being upgraded I am not noticing a huge disadvantage.

I was going to grind Ossus, but I have no interest in it at all. Banderal sorry! (I asked Banderal for tips on how to gear with Ossus he wrote about 20 pages of information to me.)

Some posters claim the difference is noticeable, Seterade is a respected PVPer that claims a merc in 248s is fairly gimpy compared to a merc in 258 maxed gears from Ossus. He says the armor rating is what is most noticeable, meaning with non-maxed gears the toon melts extra easy.

I imagine in ranked the difference might be more noticeable.

Banderal sorry! (I asked Banderal for tips on how to gear with Ossus he wrote about 20 pages of information to me.)

And that was the "quick" version! Ha! But no worries man! If I had seen that same write up before I did it myself, I also never would have tried it. :D