Synthweaving is *HORRIBLE TERRIBAD AWEFUL*

pahbi

The title says it all.

If you don't read anymore of this post, please please please avoid the mistake I made and get cybernetics or biochemistry if your looking for crew skills that will help you with leveling.

I play a Consular sage and I saw synthweaving and read the description in my codex and thought, 'wow, this will help me get gear for leveling'.

Wow was I ever *WRONG*

And I don't mean just the normal kind of, 'oops this is wrong'. I mean 'OUCH THIS STINKS!' kind of wrong.

The patterns that I learn from the trainer never produce any more than 1 or 2 items at most, that is helpful for my level, my crew mates pretty much almost never find patterns when they go looking for materials.

By comparison, my roommate went with cybernetics and she is having a blast! After each planet, she makes up a batch of mods for her nearly full suit of moddable armor, and her companions are similarly well geared.

And now I have to beg her for mods for my armor and the whole time I'm just shaking my head at why synthweaving which is advertised as making armor for Jedi's, isn't particularly useful for making armor for jedis. Frankly, it just flat out STINKS STINK STINK STINKS.

I'm posting this so no one makes my mistake.

Take synthweaving if your into roleplaying or you just want to be different or you think it looks interesting. But do *NOT* expect it to be helpful for leveling.

Take cybernetics if you want something that will actually help you in a meaningful way while you are leveling.

- P

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry gona have to disagree, and here's why.

Today i made gear for my inquisitor and khem val all which where upgrades from existing quest gear. Got lucky and found a design for synthweaving from a drop that was a fully modable chest piece. If i didnt have synth i would have just sold it or sent it to an alt.

Synth gear beats commendation gear due to lack of dark/light requirements. I can RE greens and get blue quality that exceeds quest gear. All my mats are free and i use commendations to buy mods and weapons.

Sorry you dont think synth is any good but i dont think you see the bigger picture here.

Sorry gona have to disagree, and here's why.

Today i made gear for my inquisitor and khem val all which where upgrades from existing quest gear. Got lucky and found a design for synthweaving from a drop that was a fully modable chest piece. If i didnt have synth i would have just sold it or sent it to an alt.

Synth gear beats commendation gear due to lack of dark/light requirements. I can RE greens and get blue quality that exceeds quest gear. All my mats are free and i use commendations to buy mods and weapons.

Sorry you dont think synth is any good but i dont think you see the bigger picture here.

I'm not sure what game your playing, but its not this one.

I have yet to see a synthweave item of blue quality even come close to what my roommate gets from her moddable orange armor. She hasn't had to replace a piece of armor in 30 some levels. She just makes new mods and BAMN, totally up to date armor.

And don't even get me started on needing to make 10-15 of an item before I get a single one to RE so I can get a blue schematic. I'm on my 13th pair of Force Adept Boots, still no RE.

Oh, and just to make things even that much happier, those Force Adept Boots I'm trying to RE (and have failed 13 times so far), take a material that can only come from crew missions, even though its a green item. Talk about *EPIC FAIL*.

Sorry, but your the odd data point. In terms of helping a player level, cybernetics beats synthweaving hands down, no contest.

Bioware should just ditch synthweaving, or at least put a "This skill sucks donkey deeks" disclaimer in the codex so others don't make the same mistake I and others have.

- P

Edited by Paralassa
content

Synthweaving is extremely profitable at higher level. I have made about one and a half milion profit just from crafting the force-master critical master crafts (artifact with augment slot). Also, if you are raiding then operation bosses will drop schematics which produce bind on equip gear similar to raiding level, which again is pure profit.

Synthweaving is pretty crappy to level characters with, but in the end its very profitable, if you do it right.

A master craft costs me 0 credits (No missions, I gather the materials) and brings me back 150k credits per craft. Is that good? Its amazing. Synthweaving is a great profession if you are a raider. You can craft and sell gear on the auction house which has the same stats as hardmode operation gear. But to get the schematics you would have to raid of course, since they are bind on pickup. The cvrafted gear however, is not.

here is a link to one of the many, many designs:

- http://www.torhead.com/item/8tpOROw (schematic)

- http://www.torhead.com/schematic/427XqPI/exo-stalkers-bracers (BoE craft)

The crafts can also crit an augment slot, making them better than the vendor token tier gear. The first critical craft is already reserved for 400k credits.

Edited by Kesari

I am really not having a good experience with it so far. I make gear, sell it and STILL I'm always out of credit. Maybe there is a trick t RE but I havent figured it out. I'd rather NOT have to spend hours and hours figuring stuff out on the forums just to be viable with my crew skills when other skills are easy cash and a lot less confusion. I am losing a lot of money sending my guys on mission after mission and i never seem to make up enough by selling what I make...

and more often that not, I am always missing just ONE ingredient to build stuff.

and don't even get my started on some of the "mysteries" of how many of each armor piece i need to make to advance to the next "tier" I WISH that BW would just TELL me what I need to do for that verses making me search and search on the forums to know how to use a skill in just the right way to be able to make money

I have yet to see a synthweave item of blue quality even come close to what my roommate gets from her moddable orange armor. She hasn't had to replace a piece of armor in 30 some levels. She just makes new mods and BAMN, totally up to date armor.

And don't even get me started on needing to make 10-15 of an item before I get a single one to RE so I can get a blue schematic. I'm on my 13th pair of Force Adept Boots, still no RE.

Oh, and just to make things even that much happier, those Force Adept Boots I'm trying to RE (and have failed 13 times so far), take a material that can only come from crew missions, even though its a green item. Talk about *EPIC FAIL*.

Sorry, but your the odd data point. In terms of helping a player level, cybernetics beats synthweaving hands down, no contest.

Bioware should just ditch synthweaving, or at least put a "This skill sucks donkey deeks" disclaimer in the codex so others don't make the same mistake I and others have.

- P

First of all you're getting way to worked up over it. If you dont make a blue by the time youve RE'd about 5-7 then you just quit and move along. If you're doing this 15 times and no success you're doing it wrong. Noone is convincing you to like it because you've already made up your mind its garbage. My point is you are judging it based on your results and i judge it based on mine.

Edited by Paralassa
content quote

Personally I've leveled both Artifice and Synth up to the 350 range...both have ups and downs so let me educate you about crafting.

Crafting is not and never has been "fun", its a chore that you do to get better at that has a payout at the end.

Artifice I will admit was quite handy leveling up with my Consular, however just like with Synth you run out of money fast but at least I could make good enhancements.

In all honesty, I eventually just got to a point at which I sold my Rare mats because it was more profitable because most people get mods from commendations and what not and since you can't "Twink" a low level to be good in PvP you usually wont sell the low level rare/epic mods anyways.

Synthweaving on the other hand though incredibly annoying to level as you level is thrice as profitable, procs allow your gear to be better than the average joes even with mods because you get augments as well. Another thing to take into account is that most players are all about vanity and nobody wants to wear ugly crap and synthweaving has some nice items that also look good.

In closing if you want to cry about it and don't want to put much effort into it so it pays out then go Biochem...it makes the game easy mode with infinite uber med packs, buff stims, and the resources are ridiculously easy to farm....besides less synthweavers = More money for my items that are in high demand and short supply.

If you don't like crafting I would suggest slicing. At least when leveling. Then once you hit 50 decide what you'd like to craft. Crafting your way on up is time cunsuming, painful, expensive, needless, and unfortunately stupid. You can buy mods, blues, etc. while leveling.

Don't do crafting while leveling unless you like crafting for the sake of crafting. This even includes blue and purple biochem which will cost quite a bit of money while leveling up.

First of all am maxed out 400 with synthweaving and the rest that comes with. The thing about synth is if we could have made our own augment then yeah it would have been in the same with let say artifact but we can't. another thing that you have to remember is underworld is not only for synthweaving and i agree that sometimes you get more armstech schematic then synth. all my gear are creafted and they have higher stats then modded gear plus a modded gear can get augment so synthweaving is a win. i have mod pattens that i got from send my companion on mission but the other i just buy from the GTN because people love modded gear.

I was under the impression that crafting would be good in this game and so I took Snyth and levelled it.

I don't think it has to be better than raid gear/battlemaster gear but what they need to allow top level crafters do is create customized versions that then adds something extra because of that.

i.e Rakata EV Chest has say 100 Ed/100 Will and you can choose to craft an endgame Chest with 150 Ed and 50 Will or vice versa etc, therefore being a viable option to create specifically set gear which is not possible with pre-set gear.

I have to disagree strongly. It might not be as useful during leveling but if you max it out - it really helps out at level 50. One thing are the epic patterns you can get out of hardmodes / operations. They sell nicely and being BoE you can help out your more... unlucky guildmates who might have a problem with their drops.

Another thing is the rakkata (t3) gear you can craft for yourself. The tanking / dps things are by far superior to the t2 gear you can use and are - in my opinion - even easier to acquire.

So no, don't claim it's bad because you only had a glimpse of it.

I'm a bit disappointed with Synth because I expected to be able to craft my own jedi mods, or at least some nice, exclusive looking robes and vestments. I cant, but at least I could craft myself some good epic secondary gear (wraist dash, boots and gloves). I expect BW to be including more new gear for crafters and giving the non-biochems non-cybertech something to go along.

- P

I must be playing a different game too, because I can craft better gear than any quest/boss drop. Changes at 50 of course.

(not to mention it earns me appx 25000-50000 creds a day)

You must not be very good at what you do. Not BW's fault. Synthweaving works as intended. NEXT!

Don't look down

Edited by Paralassa
content quote

I'm in the middle here. For my character, I barely use synthweaving, I've made a few blue level items that were decent upgrades though. I do make a lot of gear that is useful for my cousin who plays as a Guardian tank.

But it wasn't useful enough for me to keep going with it while trying to get money for your riding skills. But I plan on getting to 400 and hopefully making some good level 50 gear. Hopefully something will be added in the future.

Of course a class that can make Mods for moddable armour is going to be more effecient at beefing up their levelling armour. But when you can make armour for slots that doesn't have moddable armour with the chance for it to have augment slots in then you're the one who starts laughing.

Honestly at low skill I really wouldn't bother with reverse engineering for procs because you can quite easilly replace the armor. But some of the blue non-moddable slot armour pieces are better than the stuff you get from flashpoints/heroic quests (name the bracers) - if you want to make money off of people who want to deck their character out in BiS whilst levelling then reverse engineering will come into play. But seriously you can just chain craft and vendor things and have a pretty substantial source of income at lower levels.

That and at 400 you can pretty much (after 2 hardmode flashpoints if you get the alloys) make an epic belt and waist that is on par with the top tier vendor raid gear. What does your cybertech friend get at 400 that's useful top-end at 50?

I'm thinking about picking up synthweaving today (after I craft a bunch of Resolve Armoring 22s and Artifact Earpices + Purple Mettle Mod 22As from Cybertech for money) and getting it up to 400 for the rakata gear, before then switching to Biotech for the stims/adrenals.

I see little downside to this, as I still have my UT at 400 w/ plenty of mats from that and am leveling up arch right now ... are more people doing this?

I'm thinking about picking up synthweaving today (after I craft a bunch of Resolve Armoring 22s and Artifact Earpices + Purple Mettle Mod 22As from Cybertech for money) and getting it up to 400 for the rakata gear, before then switching to Biotech for the stims/adrenals.

I see little downside to this, as I still have my UT at 400 w/ plenty of mats from that and am leveling up arch right now ... are more people doing this?

I would be careful doing that if you're happy with what you already have.

Reason being, since BW is going to make med packs and grenades require 400 in their respective proffession to use, they might do the same for some end game gear.

It is a might and not so ATM but I feel it will head that way. Each profession having some max profession requirement added to use some of the high end gear. (not all but some)

Hey all,

I'll chip in on this thread with my 2 cents.

I'm level 48 and have spent an absolute fortune in credits and time levelling synthweaving to 400. In my experience there are two major imbalances:

1). RE'ing simply isn't reliable or consistent enough. I agree with the OP that some of the attempts are excessive to say the least in the number of attempts it takes to hit the next level item up. I remember one set of boots that I stopped trying to RE after 26 attempts. Whoever posted that the OP was 'Doing it wrong' is simply insulting. Pressing a button and right clicking an item is straightforward - the RNG behind the process is not. Sure, its great when you hit the level up on the first attempt but its nowhere near balanced.

2). There are some level ranges where there are simply no recipes for certain slots - for example I think its around level 41-43 where there are no head slot items at all from the trainer for light armour - what gives? I'm supposed to spend loads of creds levelling up synth only to have to go and buy a decent headset from GTN or save up commendations? Madness!

Because of issue 1), I hit 400 synthweaving at level 38 - surely this is far too soon given the level requirements of the level 400 items (47+)? additionally, because of issue 2), I often ended up trying to RE reps that were 2/3 levels above my current level just to accommodate for the failure of RE and subsequent farming of mats to try again.

Having obtained the Rataka reps from the trainer and started acquiring some of the mats (albeit from expensive comp missions) I can see how it would get better, but I definitely feel that the OP had a valid point. Levelling synthweaving is an inbalanced chore which rather than providing up to date gear, often sucks credits away instead.

I'm sure it'll come good at some stage (more recipes in future, more balanced RE process, maybe some dailies to encourage RE'ing even at max level) but based on my experience so far, I can definitely offer my sympathies to the OP.

DG

400/400/400 Synthweaving, Archeology, Underground Trading.

I have to honestly agree with OP. I've actually used may be 3 pieces of gears I've made in 50 levels. Each for less than a level before they were replaced. I would love to make the epic wrist at 50 but that requires a component I cannot get on my own.

Thanks for nothing.

Cybertech is pretty convenient while leveling, but Synthweaving can be more useful while leveling than you're saying.

Start with realizing this…

A Blue item made from synthweaving (non-custom) is equivalent to a custom item with all three custom parts being blue and of the same level.

A "crit" blue item with an augment slot is BETTER.

A Purple item made from synthweaving is equivalent to a custom item with all three custom parts being purple and of the same level.

A "crit" purple item with an augment slot, again, is better than a custom item full of purples of the same level.

Cybertech can't make all three parts that go into a custom item.

Leveling as Synthweaver, I kept my crew skills a little ahead of my leveling and used the reverse engineering enough to develop purple and blue items. Every two levels, as soon as I ding, I put on my 2 or 3 new blue and purple items, typically with augment slots in them. The only thing that kept it from being all purples is just limited by how much purple mats I could rng out of Underworld Trading. (keeping companion affections up helps a lot with this) Trying to get custom armoring, mods, and enhancements in enough quality to keep up with this is not cheap or easy.

The advantage of Cybertech is more the uniform gear quality…instead of a couple really awesome pieces mixed with pieces that used to be really awesome a few levels ago, it usually results in gearsets that are more uniformly good but not incredible. (unless you can fill the gaps with other character's professions) It's also better suiting to outfitting alt characters.

Note also…if a player doesn't keep their Cybertech planned ahead in the same manner, it ends up pretty useless as well. It also has the same potential frustration with reverse engineering rng.