Bio/EA Please clarify the policy for using 3rd party combat parcers

Reevax

Hi,

Please state clearly what the policy is on parcers such as MOX.

I am tired of people starting rumors about people getting banned for using them.

Cheers,

Reevax

Edited by Reevax

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Their policy is you are allowed to use third party parsers as that is the point of the out-of-game combat log file. People like to blame something other than the real reason they got banned...it's easier than admitting they were caught cheating in the game. Edited by terminova

There policy is you are allowed to use third party parsers as that is the point of them.

I would like to hear from Bio/Ea as people are still starting rumors about people being banned.

I would like to hear from Bio/Ea as people are still starting rumors about people being banned.

They are not being banned for using combat parsers, they are getting banned for cheating and not wishing to admit why they got banned.

They are not being banned for using combat parsers, they are getting banned for cheating and not wishing to admit why they got banned.

I am sure you are correct but official word is still needed.

Do you honestly think these same people will believe anything? You could have official word, and they'd simply say BW is lying.

Having said that...sure, why not.

... they made the combat log file update in real time so players could create out-of-game combat parsers that work in real time. How is that not enough evidence they allow you to run third party combat parsers while the game is running?

There is an official word already...

They confirmed this at PAX East, by announcing that the whole point of saving them to your HD was to use third party programs.

Don't waist dev. Time by making them re-confirm something ten times.

It's called google. Do a little research.

What more official word do you need that that the MOX parser has a thread that is left alone by mods when many others are removed?

Don't get me wrong, I know what you are saying. We just need some official word because people are spreading rumors about getting banned. It would be nice to have a link I could post whenever someone says they knew a guy who read about a guy getting banned.

Do you need official word that pressing the play button launches the game too? Seriously, they implement combat logs and you think they need to verify that you don't get banned for using that information?

There is an official word already...

They confirmed this at PAX East, by announcing that the whole point of saving them to your HD was to use third party programs.

Don't waist dev. Time by making them re-confirm something ten times.

It's called google. Do a little research.

Did google and no links state what you are saying. I is up to you to backup your statements in the first place.

What more official word do you need that that the MOX parser has a thread that is left alone by mods when many others are removed?

I think OP is simply asking for a official source link

Far as I knew from beta on 3rd party parsers are illegal and can result in banning (though I doubt anyone gets banned for 1st time offense)

So if you have a official link, just share it for the OP.

If there is not a official statement, then how can anyone claim EAs stance is something something like being said.

I think OP is simply asking for a official source link

Far as I knew from beta on 3rd party parsers are illegal and can result in banning (though I doubt anyone gets banned for 1st time offense)

So if you have a official link, just share it for the OP.

If there is not a official statement, then how can anyone claim EAs stance is something something like being said.

That is what lots want since there is no official written statement it is ok that can find. But it was used to be a violation so will stay with it is a ban item until Bioware makes an official written statement. At this time the EULA say it is not allowed also.

Edited by Romiz

That is what lots want since there is no official written statement it is ok that can find. But it was used to be a violation so will stay with it is a ban item until Bioware makes an official written statement. At this time the EULA say it is not allowed also.

thats what I thought as well (though ill be honest, I dont care as will not group with people using them. Went down that road in Rift and saw to many stupid people that had the numbers chastize people who didnt have the numbers but were far more active with taunts and other non damaging skills. *note* my personal numbers were always fine, I just hate bullies, internet or not).

I know it was illegal in closed beta, but so was vent, so who knows? LOL

Do think EA should come out clean on what their final stance is as its pretty clear some people are thinking the wrong way on issue.

Edited by Kalfear

Don't get me wrong, I know what you are saying. We just need some official word because people are spreading rumors about getting banned. It would be nice to have a link I could post whenever someone says they knew a guy who read about a guy getting banned.

There is also a rumor we are all gonna die for december 2012 (the 21th if I'm right).

There is rumor for anything, but I guess they won't ban something like 200K players just because they used a parser. Also, they made sure the combat log was on your HDD, and this mean, to be used by a third party program.

BTW, that's not cheating. In an interview before the combat log and parser, they said it was an important feature they really want into the game.

Based on community feedback, we have also added a number of improvements to combat gameplay, such as more reactive animations for certain abilities, better visual and audible cues for important effects, and quality of life changes such as more useful combat revival abilities.

For enthusiasts interested in the detailed mechanics of combat and optimizing their own character, we have added a combat logging feature, which writes a machine-parsable file to disk that can provide detailed insights into what really happens during a combat engagement.

The above is from the 1.2 patch notes, note the bolded area... i know it is not written clearly, but if does make it available to be parsed now. You'll never get a full endorsement of a 3rd party parser simply because they cannot guarantee the program wont be malware or virus ridden. So essentially use at your own risk.

It surprises me that this is actually being debated though.. They added in the combat log so this parsing can actually be done now... *** would they add in a combat parser and say.. heres the info.. BUT YOU CANNOT LOOK AT IT OR YOU SHALL BE BURNED AT THE STAKE AND CLAIMED A HERETIC....

If it walks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck.. its a duck.. unless your still arguing this.. then i guess its a moose.

EDIT: Forgot to also mention the simple fact, they added COMBAT DUMMYS to the game, and not only just Normal dummys, they also added OP's and PvP dummies also, so no they arnt just there for you to practice rotations... quack.. quack... or *sigh* Moose..

Edited by Ruffceyx

The above is from the 1.2 patch notes, note the bolded area... i know it is not written clearly, but if does make it available to be parsed now. You'll never get a full endorsement of a 3rd party parser simply because they cannot guarantee the program wont be malware or virus ridden. So essentially use at your own risk.

It surprises me that this is actually being debated though.. They added in the combat log so this parsing can actually be done now... *** would they add in a combat parser and say.. heres the info.. BUT YOU CANNOT LOOK AT IT OR YOU SHALL BE BURNED AT THE STAKE AND CLAIMED A HERETIC....

If it walks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck.. its a duck.. unless your still arguing this.. then i guess its a moose.

EDIT: Forgot to also mention the simple fact, they added COMBAT DUMMYS to the game, and not only just Normal dummys, they also added OP's and PvP dummies also, so no they arnt just there for you to practice rotations... quack.. quack... or *sigh* Moose..

The fact that the data is written to your hard drive and not shown in-game could be an indication that BW does not want groups affected by certain players having instant numbers. It is very possible that by writing the data to your hard drive, BW's intent was that players could go back and review the data OUT OF GAME, and not necessarily in-game. If the EULA states that third party programs are in violation, then I would expect that I could be facing a possible ban if I were to use a third party parser to view that information in real time.

Edited by Ratajack

If the EULA states that third party programs are in violation, then I would expect that I could be facing a possible ban if I were to use a third party parser to view that information in real time.

The question is where that info is shown. If it is displayed on a second monitor or another window you should be fine. If it is displayed similar to for instance the Steam or X-Fire overlays it's more of a problem. To elaborate on the reasons would violate the forum rules of discussing cheats/exploits/hacks. Not saying that the parsers are cheats.

It is shown in game, try checking your chat options. Its called Combat...

That's strange, under my chat options in preferences, i have NO combat option. I do, however, have a combat logging option in the main preferences. Under the combat logging option, I have the three choices-show victory messages in chat, show defeat messages in chat and enable combat logging to FILE. So, unless I am missing it, NOWHERE is there an option to display full detailed combat logs in game in real time. If I am missing it, please let us know how to enable showing full detailed combat logs in game without a third party parser.

• Dev Post
We’ve asked our Terms of Service department, and we can confirm it is not part of our policy to ban players for using combat log parsers. If anyone feels like an action has been taken against their account in error, we strongly encourage you to contact support (http://www.swtor.com/support/form) with details. Please keep in mind that we do monitor for anything that violates the Terms of Service (speedhacking, botting, or any other third-party software that interacts with the client to result in unintended behavior). We also encourage people to be very careful about downloading and using any third-party software – remember to take the safety of your computer seriously!