Gunship range ?

Achnaatthree

Its 15k straight up yu most likely got hit by a shot in range before transitioning out of that range lag and latency may have played a part. Also a gunship pilot can and will advance or move their positions for a good shot on a wounded target

its all part of Gunship chess

When a GS shoots Ion, it can ricochet if spec'ed for it, so that might be how you got hit at 17k, assuming (apologies in advance) your report is accurate.

One trick GS pilots use is to track you manually without targeting you. This way, cycling through people who are targeting you won't reveal their focus.

When a GS shoots Ion, it can ricochet if spec'ed for it, so that might be how you got hit at 17k, assuming (apologies in advance) your report is accurate.

One trick GS pilots use is to track you manually without targeting you. This way, cycling through people who are targeting you won't reveal their focus.

was gong to ask something about that, a couple times thought I was being sneaky, and finger ready for the f3, if I was not close enough if they did target me *BAM* I dead,

yeah guess if your good enough really wouldn't need to target someone to shoot them

Its 15k straight up yu most likely got hit by a shot in range before transitioning out of that range lag and latency may have played a part. Also a gunship pilot can and will advance or move their positions for a good shot on a wounded target

its all part of Gunship chess

probably just latency then, well, mainly latency, I see that when I'm in a fighter, a lot, . forgot about that, even tho I see it all the time

okay thanks everyone

Most gunship pilots choose sensor dampening, so it might be that a gunship you cannot see at the moment might have shot you at the same time. I have seen gunships at the edge of sensor range disappear, the reappear as I got a bit closer. I have not worked out the exact numbers, but 15k is about the detection range for some ships looking at gunships with sensor dampening and the silent running crew skill.

Some things need to be clarified here. Latency can cause a GS to have a longer range, on Starforge I can sometimes hit targets at 153k, but it won't allow for a +20k difference. Same goes for Ion splash, it hits up to 4 additional targets within 6k of your actual target. So your primary target is at 150k, the AOE can go to 156k, but it's not going to splash to a further 14k, even with latency.

Things that far more likely happened:

You were being shot at by a 2nd Gunship and didn't realise it. As inferred here already the 2nd Gunship may not have actually had you on target, leading you to assume it was the other gunship which is out of range that made the shot.

Or, it was one gunship but he fired a Plasma shot at you which has a Damage Over Time effect. The shot was made while you wee in range but as you moved out of range the DOTs continued applying damage and you just assumed he was still shooting at you.

Lastly, someone else fired at you using normal lasers after the gunship hit you, leading you to assume it was still the Gunship.

GSF is a complex mode and without being rude, people always assume something sinister was going on when they lack the knowledge to see what actually happened. I honestly used to think the top players were cheating, until I learnt to do what they could do. One very common mistake people make is to assume wrongly who it was that was shooting at them, and to also assume it was only one person.

I did think, I was hit by another, but I was killed by the GS I had targeted, that was over 17k away, most times when I spot a GS, I try and maintain a 18-29k distance till I'm ready to attack it. I know I deal with latency, so I'm terrible in a GS, not every pilot out there I have this problem to, but if you want to get upset,

just shoot someone and nothing register , yeah that brings a GRRRrrrrrr moment

when I do commit to attack a GS, I try and place my self where I will be out of range of the other GS, not easy to accomplish, if there is more then one GS, they're going to be close enough, where I'm not just dealing with one, So . . if I can't, than I will not attack at all,, not as a solo, different story if there is another friendly attacking

So ahh yeah, I'm pretty sure in this case, it's just a latency issue now

I was just curious if I was missing some perks or something to increase the range