Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Utility Changes coming in GU 5.6

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Utility Changes coming in GU 5.6
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

ottffsse
10.28.2017 , 01:48 AM | #101
These are very slight buffs/nerfs (with exception of carnage). While I appreciate the cautious approach, I can already tell that in skilled hands say a Merc, Sniper, or Fury Mara will be a much more dangerous spec then DPS PTs or Juggs, or Sins for that matter after these tweaks. - At least in the PvP meta.
-While the two staple Merc Dcds have been toned down, they are still two of the five best DCds in the game probably in my opinion. + mercs have e-net which and multiple electro net stacking from multiple mercs will still wreck havoc on many classes - that would be my only suggestion when it comes to mercs: to at least make the electro net apply an immunity buff from further electro-nets for say 40 sec to elliminate this very unbalancing phenomenon in situations when multiple mercs are on the opposing team chain e-net you to death - especially given that many classes' DCDs are getting "toned down". Tha'ts 2/5 of the best DCDs + Electronet - so yeah really powerful class.
-Snipers will retain also some of the strongest DCDs
-Ruthless aggressor on a cc immune Fury Mara as is currently constructed may be a tad too powerful. But this has more to do with Fury now and less with the other two mara specs.
-PT + Jugg dps (in PvP): rip
-Carnage Mara: rip
-Sin Dps/ Pyro dps in PvP: meh
-LIghtning: lullol wat???? *facepalm* - fine fine this will be the class for the extreme kiting connoisseurs and masochists
-Madness: nice little adjustments thank you

Basic summery: if there is one further change I would recommend making is to look in electro-net and limit how soon multiple e-nets can be chained on a target.

yeah and the carnage adjustment is very questionable.

varietasplus
10.28.2017 , 01:59 AM | #102
Quote: Originally Posted by CHRZOE View Post
Why are you removing stun damage reduction from some of the weakest DPS classes in the game? And it is funny how people actually think these Mercenary/Commando changes matter, don't worry they will still be stupidly good.
I don't give a **** about AOE damage reduction in PVP, it is a l2p issue. On the other hand, the 30% stun reduction is a must for each class, by nerfing DPS defense you make the most irritating game mechanism (stunlock) even worse. At this point I wonder how much time the combat team spends playing PVP.

ottffsse
10.28.2017 , 01:59 AM | #103
Quote: Originally Posted by TheLadySeydlitz View Post
While it's nice to see dps Sorcs get some defensive love, though it doesn't make up for the constant nerfs, I feel this isn't the best way to do it. Problem is, both Resurgence and Static Barrier are on-the-GCD, meaning we have to stop dps'ing to use them. Not really a big deal in PvP, but far from ideal in PvE.
On madness I think the resurgence buff is actually better as it is lower cooldown than the other abilities - and if any defensive tweak is needed it is only for PvP anyways not PvE with that spec. single target DPS output well yeah - that could use some love but numbers# on internal metrics are probably getting inflated on this spec because of all the fluff damage it puts out.

the lightning adjustment is very clunky that I agree - they need to get that buff on an off-the gcd ability at the very least. And the overall defensive buff is probably too slight for their squishiness compared to the even after these adjustments stronger DCDs of Mercs and Snipers.

Transcendent
10.28.2017 , 02:35 AM | #104
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post

Mercenary
  • Trauma Regulators now heals for 4% per stack instead of 5% and stacks 10 times instead of 15
  • The heal from Kolto Overload given by Kolto Surge can only heal the Mercenary up to 60% of their maximum health instead of 70%
  • Trauma Regulators is a now a Heroic utility and Kolto Surge is now a Legendary utility
DevNotes: The Mercenary’s defensive options were too good, so we reduced the effectiveness of Trauma Regulators and Kolto Surge.
--
I'm just going to facepalm at the relocation of the utilities.

You actually had it right with placements, unlike 4.0. Now you've decided instead of simply adjusting the utilities to address the player concerns, you've also decided to mess around with the placements.

I'm done with this game.

Thanks to everyone who has used my Refer a Friend link over the years, may the force be with you.

DenariusJay
10.28.2017 , 03:18 AM | #105
Quote: Originally Posted by Transcendent View Post
I'm just going to facepalm at the relocation of the utilities.

You actually had it right with placements, unlike 4.0. Now you've decided instead of simply adjusting the utilities to address the player concerns, you've also decided to mess around with the placements.

I'm done with this game.
I claim ignorance on this... how does swapping the two utilities means anything. I don't get the idea behind it, since you can still get both dcds either way.
server: The Hot Prospect (10/4/2017 #NEVERFORGET)
Characters: Olivia Munn / Rashida Jones / Alicia Keys / Denzel Washington

Cuiwe
10.28.2017 , 03:18 AM | #106
Ok, fair enough, you win.

The AoE damage utilities should also include the Stun DR(not a big change from technical side).

Concerning Combat, I don't know how their way can be made compliant with what you want. The best you'll get is 3 stacks of Precision. And it's reality, sorry. They want to change it and they can come out to meet you and hear your problems and address them, but only so far.
"I am not in this for politics, nor the wanton destruction, hell not even for credits. I have chosen this way of life because of the hunt and because it was pushed onto me on some ugly slimeball called a "pearl" and Honour bound me to this path ever onwards" Caelestinus

giorgo
10.28.2017 , 03:46 AM | #107
Quote: Originally Posted by Cuiwe View Post

Concerning Combat, I don't know how their way can be made compliant with what you want. The best you'll get is 3 stacks of Precision. And it's reality, sorry. They want to change it and they can come out to meet you and hear your problems and address them, but only so far.
Their reasoning for this change though (high latency) doesn't qualify as legit.
If that is the case then alacrity should be removed from the game because low ping benefits far more than high.
I think this is the first time in mmo history that a game company nerfs skill.
The fact that the CBG (combat balance guy, cause it's only one guy that deals with balance issues) doesn't know that you can use 3 abilities in the ferocity window without clipping just adds salt to the wound.

Cuiwe
10.28.2017 , 04:02 AM | #108
Quote: Originally Posted by giorgo View Post
If that is the case then alacrity should be removed from the game because low ping benefits far more than high.
The fact that the CBG (combat balance guy, cause it's only one guy that deals with balance issues) doesn't know that you can use 3 abilities in the ferocity window without clipping just adds salt to the wound.
Still, without completely scrapping their concept, the most you are getting is 3 or 4 stacks.
"I am not in this for politics, nor the wanton destruction, hell not even for credits. I have chosen this way of life because of the hunt and because it was pushed onto me on some ugly slimeball called a "pearl" and Honour bound me to this path ever onwards" Caelestinus

supertimtaf
10.28.2017 , 04:05 AM | #109
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post

Mercenary
  • The heal from Kolto Overload given by Kolto Surge can only heal the Mercenary up to 60% of their maximum health instead of 70%
  • Trauma Regulators is a now a Heroic utility and Kolto Surge is now a Legendary utility
DevNotes: The Mercenary’s defensive options were too good, so we reduced the effectiveness of Trauma Regulators and Kolto Surge.

Powertech
  • In addition to its other effects, the Hitman utility now reduces the damage taken from area of effect attacks by 30% for the Pyrotech and Advanced Prototype disciplines, and reduces the damage taken while stunned by 30% for the Shield Tech discipline

DevNotes: We felt that Pyrotech Powertechs lacked the same defensive effectiveness as Advanced Prototype Powertechs, so we moved the protection against area of effect attacks from the Advanced Prototype discipline to a utility available for both disciplines. To fill the void, we gave Advanced Prototype the Prototype Armor passive, a new ability that replaces Stabilized Armor. Finally, we gave Shield Techs that take the Hitman utility some protection against damage while stunned.

--
Assassin
  • The Formless Phantom utility has been redesigned and now reduces damage taken from area of effect attacks by 30% for the Deception and Hatred disciplines and reduces damage taken while stunned by 30% for the Darkness discipline

DevNotes: We felt that Hatred wasn’t as effective on defense as Deception, so we altered Entropic Field to remove the protection against area of effect attacks and added that effect to the Formless Phantom utility available to both disciplines, and made it so the damage protection while stunned is only available to the Darkness discipline.
Additionally, Deathmark stacks were getting consumed by other Sith Inquisitor players’ periodic effects, so we redesigned it to only be consumed by the caster’s own periodic damage.

--

First of all, congrats on the quick answer, these aren't late at all. Improvement over here

However, there are some concern about the utility you've posted.

I would like to have the opinion of the class balance team regarding "Formless Phantom" and "Hitman", more specifically regarding the 30% DR when stunned and why make this a tank-only ability. These ability were very important for these class due to the fact that they are easy to kill on a simple cc, in fact removing this ability for dps is a huge nerf to TTK in PvP which wasn't needed for assassin/powertech/Juggernaut. I would like to know why the balance team judged "correct" to do that, especially since they let a 60% heal to mercenary, who still have the complete version of this utility (30% aoe reduction, 30% damage reduction while stunned).

Another thing to note for Marauders utility :
A slight tuning to "Ruthless Aggressor" wouldn't hurt, currently this ability increase way too much the TTK for a standard marauder in PvP, lowering the Force/Tech resistance from 75% to 50% seems more than fair.

Regards,
Eliadil - Darkness Assassin Darth Malgus

Feel free to use my referal link if you liked my help ! Free stuff for you and me !

supertimtaf
10.28.2017 , 04:20 AM | #110
Quote: Originally Posted by giorgo View Post
The problem is mainly that in this game, due to the horrible optimization, you cannot be certain to do the clipping properly even if you're a good player. If the ping or computer doesn't follow then you're screwed. I think this nerf is more about bad optimisation of this game.
Still, I'll agree about the fact that Berserk could give you an extra stack of Ferocity, due to the fact that it made possible to squeeze 3 ability at least before (without clipping).
Eliadil - Darkness Assassin Darth Malgus

Feel free to use my referal link if you liked my help ! Free stuff for you and me !