Running with Noobs

Hello,

Heres a different experiance for all of you crying about people that dont know what their doing. Yesturday I ran my first HM with a 2nd tank who it was his as well. We also had a healer who never ran an ops before period. We were undergeared.

We did not wipe once. Did both KP and EV on HM with out a wipe.

How did this happen? We talked. All 8 of us talked and helped each other. For those of you crying about group finder...put a group together the old fashion way, get in voice chat and help each other.

Toodles

Agreed.

I'm new to running Op's, I mostly PvP, but I do learn fast. That said, last night I queued up for Story Mode EV.

After a half hour it popped and there were 3 of us who had never done it before.

All it took was a few minutes extra time to explain the strategy of the boss fight mechanics, etc. We did die twice, once in the lava room and once on Soa - - but it was a great experience.

I told the 2 players helping out thanks quite a few times - - i really did appreciate the assistance -

So next time if someone comes along and has never done EV before, I'd be happy to help him/her out, because someone did it for me.

Oh yea, and we were communicating the old fashioned way, through operations text.

• Dev Post

Even when you do get a group together via the Group Finder (and not the "old-fashioned" way), communication is always going to help your group be successful. Now that the Group Finder is out, lots of players may be trying out Flashpoints or Operations that they haven't tried before.

If you've never done the content before, it helps to speak up! Let your group know with something as simple as, "Hey, I've never beaten this Flashpoint before - can someone explain the bosses/mechanics to me?" Generally, someone else in the group will be able to offer you a brief explanation. Letting people know that you've never been but are willing to pay attention and learn is always much better than making a mistake!

If you have done the content before, you can help by stepping up to explain. Some people may be afraid of how a group will react if they're new, so take the lead and help! If someone seems to be having trouble (or if they're doing something wrong) and you can offer tips, do it! Remember, everyone has to do something for the first time once, and it doesn't help to get upset with people right away - give people a chance and some explanation and encouragement.

Good communication is definitely a key to success, so speak up!

Even when you do get a group together via the Group Finder (and not the "old-fashioned" way), communication is always going to help your group be successful. Now that the Group Finder is out, lots of players may be trying out Flashpoints or Operations that they haven't tried before.

If you've never done the content before, it helps to speak up! Let your group know with something as simple as, "Hey, I've never beaten this Flashpoint before - can someone explain the bosses/mechanics to me?" Generally, someone else in the group will be able to offer you a brief explanation. Letting people know that you've never been but are willing to pay attention and learn is always much better than making a mistake!

If you have done the content before, you can help by stepping up to explain. Some people may be afraid of how a group will react if they're new, so take the lead and help! If someone seems to be having trouble (or if they're doing something wrong) and you can offer tips, do it! Remember, everyone has to do something for the first time once, and it doesn't help to get upset with people right away - give people a chance and some explanation and encouragement.

I tried that. My entire group died in Cademimu on the last boss because no one would listen. (I solo'd the last boss).

I solod him when he had 50% health on my operative, oh... woops.... Is my operative alt going to get nerfed next patch now?

Hello,

Heres a different experiance for all of you crying about people that dont know what their doing. Yesturday I ran my first HM with a 2nd tank who it was his as well. We also had a healer who never ran an ops before period. We were undergeared.

How did this happen? We talked. All 8 of us talked and helped each other. For those of you crying about group finder...put a group together the old fashion way, get in voice chat and help each other.

Toodles

Theres a big difference between newbs and noobs. ;)

I think its important to remember that LFG isn't cross server. So if you run with someone and its a positive experience, you should be sure to friend them. Then, invite them to future runs before you queue up next time to put the odds of another positive experiences in your favor.

The LFG tool isn't just there because you don't have an active friend's list.

It's also there to help you build a friend's list. : )

i also have had some great runs but last night i qued for ops and 1 of the tanks obviously had never been thru KP before. after wiping on the 4th boss the other tank tried to explain the fight to him nicely he just rage quit leaving the rest of us stranded with no off tank. after waiting for about 20 minutes and no replacement we all just called it :(

I tried that. My entire group died in Cademimu on the last boss because no one would listen. (I solo'd the last boss).

I solod him when he had 50% health on my operative, oh... woops.... Is my operative alt going to get nerfed next patch now?

Since your alt is an operative, yes it will be nerfed, however it has nothing to do with you being able to solo any content. :p

Edited by ADPowah

There are many people out there that do not listen period. And frankly Im getting tired of babysitting for players who either don't have a clue as to what they are doing or are wearing the worst gear out there and expecting to be carried through an instance. For the love of all that is holy at least put in a gear check for certain hms so people dont get stuck with complete imbeciles who don't listen and are not prepared for a flash point. I swear if I get put into a HM LI with another tank that has 13k hps and doesnt even have implants or an earpiece I am going to scream.

Agreement: This kind of thing needs to be heard.

Addendum: I would like to add that SAYING WHO'S DOING WHAT (eg. who's CCing what enemy) helps too. Not just going in and expecting people to predict your actions.

Well I haven't done a few of the final Flashpoint or the Operations before. The lFG tool does work but there are people who do not listen..or at the very least do not understand their class roles...When Im the teams medic and im getting hit by every single member of the mob.. the tank does not understand how to tank.

That being said I have recently run a few of the lvl 50 Flash points with other who have never done them either. Besides the group with a tank who couldn't tank properly (he dc'd and we got a new one, who knew what he was doing) they all went very well. Some issues with certain bosses, namely trying to figure out how best to take them on. But on the whole..very successful and enjoyable.

For the love of all that is holy at least put in a gear check for certain hms so people dont get stuck with complete imbeciles who don't listen and are not prepared for a flash point.

Mm gear check... i remember this! Theres a way round this in blue pvp gear right... oh wait wrong game!

People will always look for the away round the checkers, so why waste the developers time in creating a gear checking system, its will be useless.

For the love of all that is holy at least put in a gear check for certain hms so people dont get stuck with complete imbeciles who don't listen and are not prepared for a flash point. I swear if I get put into a HM LI with another tank that has 13k hps and doesnt even have implants or an earpiece I am going to scream.

If you don't want to ever play with someone again, then put them on your ignore list and you'll never get matched up with them again. The problem with a gear check is that there is no way to put a fair gear check in....it will always be an arbitrary level. Most people want some cushy, guaranteed streamroll through content so whatever they claim is "necessary" to run particular content usually ends up being more than you really need.

If I use group finder, I find it easiest to stop at the beginning and let people pick marks for themselves to be used for ccs. Call out cc before a mob that requires it. That's unless everyone's geared and knows the drill, in which case it's not necessary.

There are many people out there that do not listen period. And frankly Im getting tired of babysitting for players who either don't have a clue as to what they are doing or are wearing the worst gear out there and expecting to be carried through an instance. For the love of all that is holy at least put in a gear check for certain hms so people dont get stuck with complete imbeciles who don't listen and are not prepared for a flash point. I swear if I get put into a HM LI with another tank that has 13k hps and doesnt even have implants or an earpiece I am going to scream.

You shouldnt be using group finder for LI in my opinion, unless you're group queing with a premade. Too many instructions and the way one tank's used to tanking lorick and the robot isn't necessarily going to work for every group composition even if they're geared enough to beat the FP which isn't a given. If the tank's used to ranged dps and both dps are ops, for instance, you're gonna be boned for a long time on boss #1. Even some of the trash has tricks to it (guys A B and F need to be cced or the mob's immortal; if you use aoe in room X the group wipes, did everyone walk in with a good supply of rakghoul vaccine etc). Just too many instructions for my taste and too little margin for error for this to be done with strangers without spending an inordinate amount of money on repairs.

Mm gear check... i remember this! Theres a way round this in blue pvp gear right... oh wait wrong game!

People will always look for the away round the checkers, so why waste the developers time in creating a gear checking system, its will be useless.

I think if they have enough experience with the game to fool a gear check, they will probably be ok to run the content. It's more for newbs (as opposed to noobs) who don't know what flashpoint requires what gear.

And anyway, how will you fool a system that checks your main stat and endurance? That's all that is needed to gauge your gear progression.

In the meantime, you can politely excuse someone from the group. We did it on KP story mode to someone in level 40 greens. "Sorry newb, you don't have the gear you need for this content. Here's how you get it: [brief explanation of the three daily areas]." Then we vote kicked.

IMHO essentially this is true and very good advice....however, as with most things in life it is not so simple.

I have seen signs that the SWTOR community is STARTING to go the same way as a large proportion of the community in another well known MMO, even a couple of posts in this thread point in this direction.

I have not used the SWTOR lfg tool as I am lucky enough to be a member of an active guild, but from my experiences in that other well known MMO being up front and honest often doesn't get the desired results. Going back to January 2011 not long after the release of the latest xp of a certain game I lost count of the number of times I was kicked from a group immediately because I was honest/stupid enough to open up with "Hi all, I've not done this instance before so please bear with me".

I know because the lfg tool is not x server this should reduce the chances of this happeneing but I hope it does not become as impersonal as I have seen before. It starts to feel less like a group of people getting together to achieve something and more like a production line to run through as quickly and easily as possible.

That's very good advice, Allison. It's always a good idea to communicate to ensure a successful multiplayer endavour.

Unfortunately, communication options in this game are rather limited. I really wish the game had better tools for communication to be able to follow your advice better - like chat bubbles, for example. For many players, communication in the game is incredibly awkward at the moment without them. Hopefully they will be patched in ASAP in one of the upcoming patches!

Integrated voice chat would help in many situations as well.

Some good advice was given...communication is key for successful runs. For guild runs of anything, using vent or TS or whatever else makes things easier. With the GF, you are not likely to share your guild info with random people. There are some fights where having to type out the entire fight beforehand is just not enough. A new person is not going to capture everything they may need to. Having to stop mid fight and type because something significant happened and some sort of adjustment needs to be made may lead to a wipe. IN GAME VOICE CHAT is needed. I don't understand how this game launched without it. And while i'm at it...Raid/Target assist! Not entirely necessary for FPs as there actually is a good feature for a group of that size.

All good ideas. Keep in mind that with more players on healthy pop servers and the LFG tool working pretty well- a LOT of players are now able to do things they hadn't before. SO, there are a lot more inexperienced players in the mix now able, willing but not necessarily capable to competently participate. As long as these inexperienced players listen to the advice from mission veterans and try to learn- help them. It'll provide a new challenge to the veterans with a sense of accomplishment when they meet success while babysitting. Doing this also can add more experienced players to the LFG pool. Remember, the Star Wars name created a ton of first-time MMO players across all age groups- and a lot of them want to learn and contribute. Now with servers hosting populations big enough to create groups, a little work from the die-hards can create a population full of experienced players.

Agreed, In game chat will help, especially for this scenario. Teaching somebody something via text chat is a long, long process.

Hello,

Toodles

I highly doubt you guys didn't wipe once, Maybe not IN EV but IN KP give me a break for somebody with your level of experience that you claim. there is no way you one shot, fabricator being under-geared. Plain and simple. The only way you could have no wipes is if you ran with 6 other people in full Rakata gear/Black Hole gear and people who knew each fight like the back of their hand.

I don't care how much you communicated to each other something is very fishy with this post.

I highly doubt you guys didn't wipe once, Maybe not IN EV but IN KP give me a break for somebody with your level of experience that you claim. there is no way you one shot, fabricator being under-geared. Plain and simple. The only way you could have no wipes is if you ran with 6 other people in full Rakata gear/Black Hole gear and people who knew each fight like the back of their hand.

I don't care how much you communicated to each other something is very fishy with this post.

fabricator is easy with an experienced team running the puzzle, then tanks just have to know how to taunt off (duo tanking 101) and you're doing. don't have to deal with double stacking buffs and debuffs like HM/NMM

• Dev Post
IMHO essentially this is true and very good advice....however, as with most things in life it is not so simple.

You're absolutely right that it's not going to work every time. Even if you speak up and are patient and polite, you'll sometimes run into players who won't tolerate new players or those who just won't listen to advice. In those cases, when you run into someone you don't mesh with or people who are problematic, you should definitely use the ignore list - this will keep the Group Finder from matching you with those individuals. Another thing that I highly recommend is finding a guild that matches your personal playstyle and attitude. This can take some work, but it's definitely worth it in the long run.

It can be frustrating to apply these principles (being tolerant, offering advice, communicating that you're new, etc) when the result isn't positive - I know from personal experience! It can be discouraging, but it's worth sticking with it if you help even just one noob who appreciates it :)

fabricator is easy with an experienced team running the puzzle, then tanks just have to know how to taunt off (duo tanking 101) and you're doing. don't have to deal with double stacking buffs and debuffs like HM/NMM

In less i read the OP post wrong he said he was doing HM not SM maybe he meant SM and not HM