Can we PLEASE get a map in open space?

RodneyMcNeely

I believe that the game would just be gunships and scouts. Specifically, I think it would be type 3 gunships and type 2 scouts.

It's not a design flaw that there's no open space map. It's more that making ships interesting and balanced in open space would make them uninteresting and unbalanced in the maps with actual terrain.

The map with the most meaningful open space is Lost Shipyards TDM. It's also the most gunship friendly map, and the meta is most strained on it. The bombers that live there use the terrain, even if it's not the BEST terrain, the strikes that fly there use the terrain when scouts get on them, and gunships use it when scouts get on them too, but the general lack of it means that gunships can approach many targets largely unopposed.

The maps that are close to this are Denon and lost shipyard domination. These maps feature VERY large open spaces, but the spaces aren't all adjacent to nodes. These maps also have more gunship love than the Kuat maps, and the presence of satellites means that bombers will have really relevant roles. But think about someone at A or C on Denon and a gunship moseys up to 14k away. Your options are to charge him, ask for help, or hide behind the node and hope that he doesn't have numbers on his side for long enough to push you out or kill you.

I think a full open space map would be the worst. Just like, the worst. And further, I think that many community members would come to the conclusion that the blank map is the DEFAULT, like the Smash community settled on the crappiest map (Final Destination) as the "real" map, instead of just facing the fact that the game was designed for all that terrain. Well, so is this one. The terrain is a huge part of it, line of sight is a huge mechanic, and that's all intended. The game isn't made for an open space map.

I mean, it's pretty academic. The only safe place for a scout would be "15km+ away from the nearest gunship". Meanwhile, any scout that approaches a type 3 gunship won't score an instant kill, and will be subject to any unoccupied sniper. I could definitely believe that it would devolve to just gunships, but I wouldn't sell the scouts short.

Either way, it would not be any game worth playing.

Not to derail, but only in Japanese tournaments is Final Destination heavily used at all in competitive Smash. American tournaments for melee, brawl and Wii U/3DS all use a variety of stages.

On topic: I agree with the above assessments that a terrain free map would be kind of crappy. What I would like would be a map with moving "terrain", such as starships, asteroids and/or large chunks of debris that move on scripted paths. That'd be neato.

Not to derail, but only in Japanese tournaments is Final Destination heavily used at all in competitive Smash. American tournaments for melee, brawl and Wii U/3DS all use a variety of stages.

But you've talked to people who think Final Destination is the only board that matters. My point is, the game would be better without the map. If the devs come up with a whole bunch of places to play and design characters for that, they probably weren't actually balancing around one specific case. A map with no geography isn't the default, any more than a map with no floor would be (nerf Kirby, he falls slowest!).

And a map with no terrain in GSF would be just as nonsensical- especially if you balanced the ships around it.

On topic: I agree with the above assessments that a terrain free map would be kind of crappy. What I would like would be a map with moving "terrain", such as starships, asteroids and/or large chunks of debris that move on scripted paths. That'd be neato.

I actually wonder if this is possible with their tech. If not, I'd love for them to add it. I think an idea where an "asteroid shower" features rocks spawning outside of the playbox, flying through with momentum, and then leaving the playbox, would be amazing, especially if it was legitimately rough to fly through there without getting splatted. It would mean a place where solid piloting could get you places you couldn't otherwise go, or serve as a shortcut, but at great risk. Would be great.

But slower moving things would also work and could be more present (if you put what I was envisioning anywhere but some tightly controlled cylinders, the game would be very frustrating for many).

Even a TDM map like (or in) denon exosphere would be interesting.

Two capital ships with frigates/destroyers facing off and shooting at each other. Turbolasers will just be cosmetic but it'll build atmosphere. The smaller ships + ship debris can be used as cover.

They could even add in something like periodic laser barrages by capital ships that will destroy or deal significant damage to ships around it or in specific areas.

Well, Denon TDM would be amazing.

I don't think the issue is " you need maps with tons of cover". I think we need more maps, and they should have a variety of features. The cover in Denon tends towards "sparse, simple, large". In lost shipyards it's "moderate density, semispherical rocks and superstructures, small to medium size". In Kuat it's "sparse, oriented, landscape". There's a LOT more possibilities that they could do.

Denon TDM should be their next map though. It's the obvious next step.

Denon TDM was the obvious next step when Denon came out 11 months and 3 days ago... :(

I think the maps issue is the #1 reason I'm not really flying too much, and have lost interest in most aspects of the module other than the theory crafting portions of GSF. =\

This would work very well if it was just one ship type allowed. So Open Space only scouts. Only strike fighters, etc. Make it like an arena match but for GSF. Three on three of the same ship type and last team standing wins. Would get kind of alpha strike heavy, but so is ground pvp arena and that is still in the game.

What if I just queued my five gunships? Does the queue skip me? What if a new player queued a strike and a scout, does he get skipped for the bomber game?

This could be fixed by having different hangars for different game modes, but that would require other adjustments as well.