Please Increase/Remove Guild Member Cap With Merges

UlaVii

I do not think it is absurd at all. I think it is the best suggestion to provide a solution to guild masters who are only asking for an increase to accomodate alts of their current members. I whole heartedly support this idea and think it's a great way to solve the problem of not being able to have alts in the guild, or having to create a separate guild entirely to hold alts.

I think your exaggeration of what will happen as a result is the absurd part, honestly. I don't think that would be even close to the results of making the change to capping guilds at 1000 legacies vs 1000 members. But you could also just lower it to 500 legacies and it would still be more than fine to solve the problem.

Here is why your suggestion is absurd: You can only play one character per account at a time. Even if a guild had 50,000 members due to alts, it would still limit them in the number that could be online at a time, and as we have seen with the conquest revisions - no one is going to hit their conquest goal on more than a few alts anyway without a major bug, exploit or glitch. So I think you are honestly worrying over nothing here.

I don't know if you or Khaleg are right or not... maybe you are both wrong. No player in this forum can actually solve that question to be honest.

Since none of us know how exactly they coded the guild parts of the game, it is impossible for any of us, you, me, or anyone else to make performance or feature claims with respect to what adding a higher count may actually do to both guild and server performance. 7 years in.. even the studio may not know as the people who did the code work years ago are very likely long gone and poorly documented their work... meaning.. it's an unknown ball of snakes to go in and mess with. Heck....just this week.. adding a new SH appears to have borked up the servers in terms of transaction lag and other negative effects on players.

Generally speaking..... things like guild data are held in one or more databases within the server, and there are usually limits to how much you can change the variables without having to go in and do significant redesign.

Which brings me to feel.... prudence and skepticism expressed by Khaleg is the better course of opinion, absent solid data to prove otherwise. Your idea is basically to ignore any potential technical or performance concerns and simply demand unlimited guild membership through some sleight of hand about how alts are handled and just assume everything will be fine.

Way too much arm-chair design declarations being made in this discussion... while absent any facts, which leaves us with the usual "opinion wars" and personal wants/needs conflicts that always seem to dominate the forum.

Note: I am not opposed to upping the member count limits... I am just pragmatic enough to know that it may not be as simple as waving your hand and changing a number.

Edited by Andryah

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not make the guild membership cap a purchasable unlock like bank tabs. Maybe going from 1000 to 2000 is 50 million, 2000 to 4000 is 150 million, and so on with maybe 10,000 being 500 million. Big guilds could afford it and it would be a good credit sink. It would make guilds think about how many alts they really want in the guild. More alts would put a heavier burden on guilds that are primarily alts without having nearly as much impact on guilds that have more active players than alts (sharing the burden so to speak)

Why not make the guild membership cap a purchasable unlock like bank tabs. Maybe going from 1000 to 2000 is 50 million, 2000 to 4000 is 150 million, and so on with maybe 10,000 being 500 million. Big guilds could afford it and it would be a good credit sink. It would make guilds think about how many alts they really want in the guild. More alts would put a heavier burden on guilds that are primarily alts without having nearly as much impact on guilds that have more active players than alts (sharing the burden so to speak)

First you have to know if it is even technically/performance feasible. Something nobody in this forum can assess and decide.

First you have to know if it is even technically/performance feasible. Something nobody in this forum can assess and decide.

True, but it would make more sense to open table space up for only a few guilds rather than for all of them when 99% of that table space won't be used. Opening all guilds up to 10,000 would probably crash the game (or at least use a tremendous amount of resources - table searches are very processor intensive). If it was a limited number of "extra large" guilds it might be possible. It's something that could be looked at. As you said, no one here knows how the game is coded, but suggestions on trying it with a limited scope are not beyond the realm of possibility.

• 4 weeks later...

After reading the notes on some of the guild admin changes coming up I am a little more hopeful of the increase in membership. Or better yet the change to individual players not individual alts.

Customer service has been kind to me recently. Can you be kind again and giving some acknowledgement to our request please?

• 2 weeks later...
To me, this thread is still kind of an hidden advertisement for mega-guilds.

Mega guilds already exist. Membership limits mean nothing to stopping a mega-guild. You could go back to only allowing guilds to have 100 members and there would still be mega-guilds. That is not really an argument against this proposal that has merit, because raising the membership number just means more people putting more alts into the guild.

At this point, the population of the game has shrank so completely that I don't feel like mega-guilds are even that big a deal anymore. And what does a mega-guild even threaten? Easy Conquest victories? Conquest was easy to dominate before, but is now set up to ensure that ONLY mega guilds can win (no one can compete with them when alts are so strictly limited). So at the end of the day, this doesn't really matter from where I sit.

You don't have to like mega-guilds or even join one... but no one has to do anything to create them or make room for them - they are already here.

• 1 month later...
To me, this thread is still kind of an hidden advertisement for mega-guilds.

Because it is, nothing else. For anybody who actually thinks that is.

I had no hidden agenda with this thread. I have been very open and clear about my intentions. My guild has a problem in that we don't have enough room for the characters of our guild members and at the time of creating this thread I anticipated the problem would get even less manageable so I decided to bring the problem to the attention of the devs. I did not mention my guild name in the original post or even the first 10 pages pages of this thread (I didn't search past that just now). My guild doesn't even advertise in our server's forum or fleet chat as we have no need to.

Musco shot down any hopes that they will increase the cap in the last Twitch stream when he said that there will be no character cap increase for guilds with 5.10. As soon as he said that it became clear that we will have to keep our 2nd Imperial guild open. On the bright side it means we have a total of three guilds that can enjoy a good variation of the new guild perks that are coming soon :)

The only hidden guild advertisements here are from when you keep bumping this thread so everybody see's your guild advert and referral spam in your post signature. Thanks for the thread bumps though :rolleyes:

I had no hidden agenda with this thread. I have been very open and clear about my intentions. My guild has a problem in that we don't have enough room for the characters of our guild members and at the time of creating this thread I anticipated the problem would get even less manageable so I decided to bring the problem to the attention of the devs. I did not mention my guild name in the original post or even the first 10 pages pages of this thread (I didn't search past that just now). My guild doesn't even advertise in our server's forum or fleet chat as we have no need to.

Musco shot down any hopes that they will increase the cap in the last Twitch stream when he said that there will be no character cap increase for guilds with 5.10. As soon as he said that it became clear that we will have to keep our 2nd Imperial guild open. On the bright side it means we have a total of three guilds that can enjoy a good variation of the new guild perks that are coming soon :)

The only hidden guild advertisements here are from when you keep bumping this thread so everybody see's your guild advert and referral spam in your post signature. Thanks for the thread bumps though :rolleyes:

It's totally ok to fight for your intention, don't get me wrong here. I just think it is not a good one, not even remotely.

You basically ask for more comfort and convenience to run soulless mega guilds while I think (and I'm running a guild with 430+ accounts/930+ chars myself) how big they can already be is enough and better for the game, because that is already way beyond a healthy size where you at least remotely know people.

Growth for the self-purpose of growth has no value to me, and for the good of the game as a whole, not at all.

If you think it up to the end you end up with a handful or even just two guilds, one one Rep and one on Imp side lol.

Larger guilds are even contraproductive for the game's health. Also in the way they are being managed now with workarounds and such. Absolute poison for this game. Why would I agree to make this even easier?

Also clear to me as an IT pro, their current ****ed up and underperforming database setup couldn't even manage larger guilds.

And btw, I think you got that advertisement part totally wrong. At least I understood it in the meaning of promoting for the possibility and existance of mega guilds in general and not advertising specific ones. The latter does of course not apply to you.

Edited by Khaleg

I can see your point about big soulless mega guilds and for the most part, I would agree, there are multiple medium sized guilds, at least on Malgus that just spams guild invites to all lowbies and never follow up, organize any events or try to build up some community around the guild with its members. But I think that in multiple cases mega guilds do have a "soul" and contribute in a positive way to the servers activity level, more than most small guilds and in particular more than those "spam general chat/level lowbie planet" medium-sized guilds. This is in particular true, imo, in regards to the guild that Ula leads on Malgus.

There are over 60 events organized weekly, everything from squad raids, conquest farming, achievement hunts and pug raids on a schedule, and most likely ten times that organized though members via guild chat. If people only joined mega guilds for conquest, the turnover rate would be huge, and as I have a little insight, it's quite clear that this is not the case with the Malgus mega-guilds. There are three "Mega Guilds" on Malgus where the members might have initially joined getting a conquest achievement or two, but decided to stay as a member of the guild even after getting that achievement.

Sure, with several hundred members you won't end up getting to know everyone, even as a raid leader and officer there are many that I have no contact with. That said, if someone is interested in joining the community, join a raid and get on Teamspeak, there is always going to be people who welcome and include them into the conversation. And if people don't want to they are able to be silent and just listen, god knows we have enough members, myself included, who just always talks :jawa_angel:

Sure, you might never have that "close-knit" community feeling of a small guild, but it seems quite a large portion of the player base feel like "Mega guilds" are good enough anyway as all three on Malgus keep growing. And although Musco did say that the membership cap won't be increased, in a way that helps Mega guilds, using two guilds we can both farm achievements as well as always invade a large yield planet for members to farm materials. The upcoming guild improvements will in multiple ways help with management, and although it continues to be annoying to find members across two guilds to invite for organized raids, that is a small price to pay :jawa_eek:

The only hidden guild advertisements here are from when you keep bumping this thread so everybody see's your guild advert and referral spam in your post signature.

Haha :jawa_tongue:

Edited by RikuvonDrake

• 1 year later...

It's been over a year since anything happened with this post and it's been over a year of having to keep removing people's alts from guild. In that time I've dealt with lots of people upset that we've split up their characters. Each time I have to explain that if 50 people have 20 alts in guild then that is already the member cap reached. I also pointed out that if a lot of those 50 people went inactive the guild would be pretty dead. As you'd expect; most said they preferred to return to an active guild so couldn't understand why the game developers won't increase the character cap.

With the December patch can you please increase the character limit to 10k for guilds.

#uniteourcharacters

• 2 months later...

Back to almost daily removal of "inactive" characters. Chopping line is all the way down to 10 days now. Way not cool.

With the February quality of life patch can you please increase the character limit to 10k for guilds.

Thank you.

#uniteourcharacters

Edited by UlaVii

Currently im in 3 of the biggest guilds on darth malgus. All of em nearring 1000 characters...

Lot of us have alot of characters they all want to be in the guild. but this is just impossible since its capped at 1000.. and for what.. Having to kick out our alts every week is just plain garbage and not fun.

• 3 months later...

Honestly a huge QoL improvement for guilds would be reworking the system to count legacies for the cap instead of characters. I guess it would be lot of work but it would be perfect really.

Lets say someone joins guild with 60 alts, and even if he plays only 5-6 of them, you wouldn't need to be bothered to kick inactive alts every week-two or whatever the rules your guild uses, since they would all count as 1 member.

But otherwise, if that is not likely to happen, then a significant guild cap increase would be pretty good as well.