Ultrawide Screen issues

DarthMord

Hi all,

I'm not a new player but this seemed the most appropriate place to put this.

I got a new 3440x1440 21:9 monitor for gaming. I was a long time subscriber to SWTOR but stopped for a long time due to work and other life demands. I resubscribed before I got my monitor but I was really looking forward to playing with an ultrawide.

Little did I realize that SWTOR hates to use native resolutions and looks at the EDID in the registry. I've seen, read through and tried every "fix" posted on these forums and Reddit that I can find, including:

Updating my monitor and gpu drivers

Updating my GPU's firmware (using a MSI GTX980ti)

Using CRU to remove unnecessary resolutions.

Trying to manually update the resolution in the APPDATA\swtor settings ini file.

Trying a different cable, HDMI (I'm currently using the Display port adapter).

Tried using windowed mode.

Tried using window Full screen mode.

Tried using both the HDMI and Display port cable to use PIP and move the windowed mode version of the game

Attempted to "Force" the aspect ration in several configurations in the NVIDIA control panel

Used NVIDIA's "Game Experience" to optimize and run SWTOR

I downloaded and tried to use the Extron EDID program and another EDID software but got utterly confused on the directions by the original poster and couldn't find anything online that gave a step by step on how to mess with it.

I've done all this with no luck. I'm at the end of my rope and ready to just pack it in and unsubscribe. Every other game runs just fine at the right resolution and aspect ratio without having to go through all this mess. I love SWTOR which is why I did all this but honestly it's unplayable at this point and I'm out of things to try.

I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks

I don't have a suggestion for you, sadly. You aren't the first to post about problems with screens wider than 16:9.

What I will say is that it's a problem of "SWTOR hates wider than 16:9" rather than a problem of "SWTOR hates native resolutions". It works just fine at native resolution on a 16:9 or 16:10 display.

Well, except at 16:9 3840x2160 (or other resolution above 1920x1080), because the scaling goes a bit wonky, and I have yet to find a way to make the character select and character create screens behave properly on a 4K/UHD 16:9 display.

I'd be fine playing with boarders if that meant everything looked right. But I haven't been able to even get that to work. I'm at my wits end and ready to just chalk it up to not working and uninstall and unsubscribe again.

You never seemed to actually say what the problem is or what happens. Is the aspect ratio wrong. The screen too big? Too small? Etc.

So just for a random stab at it - make sure you have the proper refresh rate set in Preferences. 🙂

Of course, it's possible that SWTOR just can't do ultra wide. 🤔

You never seemed to actually say what the problem is or what happens. Is the aspect ratio wrong. The screen too big? Too small? Etc.

So just for a random stab at it - make sure you have the proper refresh rate set in Preferences. 🙂

Of course, it's possible that SWTOR just can't do ultra wide. 🤔

I have been playing SWTOR on an Alienware Ultrawide (21:9 / 3440X1440) for a while now. No issues at all. Works great.

FWIW I'm connecting the monitor over display port. Are you using a display port cable that support the resolution?

You may want to reinstall the game. I didn't do anything other than select the resolution in game. Worked perfectly.

Edited by BonnerFett

I'm using the Display port cable.

I did update the firmware for my display port on my GPU as well.

That didn't help, so I tried with the HDMI cable. That also failed.

I can definitely try to uninstall and re-install the game using the HDMI cable but to get the 144hz I have to use the display port. I'm also not exactly convinced uninstalling and re-installing the game is going to fix this issue.

I'm using the Display port cable.

I did update the firmware for my display port on my GPU as well.

That didn't help, so I tried with the HDMI cable. That also failed.

I can definitely try to uninstall and re-install the game using the HDMI cable but to get the 144hz I have to use the display port. I'm also not exactly convinced uninstalling and re-installing the game is going to fix this issue.

I'm not convinced re-installing the game will help either, but from what your describing I'm not seeing a problem with any of your hardware. Since you said the problem is with SWTOR only that leads me to believe it's worth a try to reinstall.

I'm happy to help since I seem to have a similar setup to yours. I'm running an Nvidia 2070 GPU.

Edited by BonnerFett

I appreciate the help.

I've uninstalled the game. I'm gonna do some quick clean ups then I'll re-install it.

I'm using a bit older hardware as I still a 980ti.

I was actually going to do a full system upgrade (The monitor was the first part since I needed one) . But then I heard that there were new graphics cards coming from Nvidia and new chips from AMD only a few months away so I figured I'd wait.

Once I get the re-install complete I'll let you know where things stand.

I appreciate the help.

I've uninstalled the game. I'm gonna do some quick clean ups then I'll re-install it.

I'm using a bit older hardware as I still a 980ti.

I was actually going to do a full system upgrade (The monitor was the first part since I needed one) . But then I heard that there were new graphics cards coming from Nvidia and new chips from AMD only a few months away so I figured I'd wait.

Once I get the re-install complete I'll let you know where things stand.

Definitely wait for the new graphics card. Your 980ti will be fine for this game and for that monitor.

Post feedback on if the reinstall helped.

Well last night I did something stupid. I decided I would do a clean install of the latest Nvidia drivers. That lead to hours trying to get the Nvidia control panel back. Which failed because now the only way to get it is from Microsoft's stupid app store and it errors every time I try to install it. So I've decided to do a complete wipe of the OS drive and do a clean install of Windows. As soon as I get that done I'll try to install SWTOR again.... this has turned into a nightmare.

SO just an update.

I re-installed Windows 10, and then re-installed SWTOR.

If I change my resolution to 2160x1600 I have boarders but the game looks normal... if I switch it back to 3440x1440 which is my monitors native resolution it goes back to being goofy.

I have also now found that I cannot play anything but a new character on the starting planets because it says it still needs to download a patch but there is no download happening and at the launcher it says everything is downloaded.

So resolution still isn't fixed (though it's playable with boarders). But I can't play it because it says it's still patching in game even though it isn't.

I have also now found that I cannot play anything but a new character on the starting planets because it says it still needs to download a patch but there is no download happening and at the launcher it says everything is downloaded.

So resolution still isn't fixed (though it's playable with boarders). But I can't play it because it says it's still patching in game even though it isn't.

This will help with the "can't play beyond starter worlds" thing:

Disable Bitraider. Don't just delete the folder, but actually disable it. You'll have to redownload the whole thing (but since it's not in a usable state for you, it doesn't seem such a bad thing to have to do).

Instructions: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Troublesho...r/td-p/4867417

In essence, new installs default to the "streaming" downloader, called Bitraider. It's useful for new players who haven't gone beyond the starter worlds, because it lets them start playing before the whole game is downloaded. Its primary function after that is giving the unwary considerable grief from time to time.

Yeah that's what I did last night. Took forever to re-download the game.

Still having the same graphical issues on screen though. Switching to my native resolution makes character and in game models look stretched. Leaving it at the resolution it is currently at is the only way to sorta play it. I'm really frustrated that I can't just play on the resolution I want and everything look fine like in other games.

• 4 weeks later...
So as a followup. I built a whole new PC with new graphics card (I was due anyway) but still have the same screen issue. The game is unplayable. Unless I can come up with a solution looks like I'll be cancelling my subscription and deleting the game. Very disappointing that I can't get this game to work properly on my monitor.

So as a followup. I built a whole new PC with new graphics card (I was due anyway) but still have the same screen issue. The game is unplayable. Unless I can come up with a solution looks like I'll be cancelling my subscription and deleting the game. Very disappointing that I can't get this game to work properly on my monitor.

You say you are trying to set it to 144Hz? It may be that the monitor can't do 3440x1440 at 144Hz. Or that, that isn't an option in-game. Check the specs for the monitor and check what refresh rates you can set. Then make sure the game is set to a resolution AND refresh rate the monitor can handle.

You say you are trying to set it to 144Hz? It may be that the monitor can't do 3440x1440 at 144Hz. Or that, that isn't an option in-game. Check the specs for the monitor and check what refresh rates you can set. Then make sure the game is set to a resolution AND refresh rate the monitor can handle.

My monitor is a 144hz ultra wide. It's meant to be run at that refresh rate and resolution. I've also made sure the resolution in game is correct. It's an issue with how SWTOR pulls the max resolution info from windows rather than what is actually set by the graphics card.

I noticed that 3440x1440 is not one of the 'recommended' gaming resolutions for the 980 Ti. So perhaps it's the card that is the problem.

Does your desktop run fine at 3440x1440? Do other games work at 3440x1440?

It could be (but I dunno) that the 980Ti can't do 3440x1440 @ 144Hz, but I don't know if it's possible to set a lower rate with that monitor.

Btw, what's the make and model of the monitor?

Edited by JediQuaker

I noticed that 3440x1440 is not one of the 'recommended' gaming resolutions for the 980 Ti. So perhaps it's the card that is the problem.

Does your desktop run fine at 3440x1440? Do other games work at 3440x1440?

I built a whole new system. I'm no longer using the 980ti I'm using a 2080 Super.

All my other games worked perfectly fine with the 980ti and also now work fine with the 2080 Super.

Well, I give up. I was contemplating getting an ultra wide (1080p), but now I'm not sure.

It would seem as though SWTOR itself must be the problem. Of course, the game pre-dates ultra-wides and is buggy as hell, so I suppose it's not a complete surprise.

Another thought that occurred to me - what game mode are you playing in - full screen, windowed, or windowed(fullscreen) and/or have you tried all modes? Windowed(fullscreen) I would guess would be best, but again, I dunno. 🤔

Edited by JediQuaker

Well, I give up. I was contemplating getting an ultra wide (1080p), but now I'm not sure.

It would seem as though SWTOR itself must be the problem. Of course, the game pre-dates ultra-wides and is buggy as hell, so I suppose it's not a complete surprise.

Another thought that occurred to me - what game mode are you playing in - full screen, windowed, or windowed(fullscreen) and/or have you tried all modes? Windowed(fullscreen) I would guess would be best, but again, I dunno. 🤔

Yep tried all modes... I've tried so many things to get it to work. I LOVE my ultrawide and I'm frustrated that I can't play SWTOR but it IS a SWTOR issue they've never addressed or fixed. If you want to keep playing I'd suggest against getting an Ultrawide given the frustration it's given me. I do find it ridiculous that the SWTOR team hasn't fixed this issue. EVERY OTHER GAME I play handles just fine and is awesome on an ultrawide monitor. SWTOR unfortunately is the outlier and it sucks.

Hi all,

I'm not a new player but this seemed the most appropriate place to put this.

I got a new 3440x1440 21:9 monitor for gaming. I was a long time subscriber to SWTOR but stopped for a long time due to work and other life demands. I resubscribed before I got my monitor but I was really looking forward to playing with an ultrawide.

Little did I realize that SWTOR hates to use native resolutions and looks at the EDID in the registry. I've seen, read through and tried every "fix" posted on these forums and Reddit that I can find, including:

Updating my monitor and gpu drivers

Updating my GPU's firmware (using a MSI GTX980ti)

Using CRU to remove unnecessary resolutions.

Trying to manually update the resolution in the APPDATA\swtor settings ini file.

Trying a different cable, HDMI (I'm currently using the Display port adapter).

Tried using windowed mode.

Tried using window Full screen mode.

Tried using both the HDMI and Display port cable to use PIP and move the windowed mode version of the game

Attempted to "Force" the aspect ration in several configurations in the NVIDIA control panel

Used NVIDIA's "Game Experience" to optimize and run SWTOR

I downloaded and tried to use the Extron EDID program and another EDID software but got utterly confused on the directions by the original poster and couldn't find anything online that gave a step by step on how to mess with it.

I've done all this with no luck. I'm at the end of my rope and ready to just pack it in and unsubscribe. Every other game runs just fine at the right resolution and aspect ratio without having to go through all this mess. I love SWTOR which is why I did all this but honestly it's unplayable at this point and I'm out of things to try.

I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks

I am having the same problem with my LG ultrawide (display port adapter). The character models - well everything is stretched out.

Full Specs:

i7-8700 3.19 GHz

32.0 Gigs DDR5 ram

64 bit Windows 10

Geforce RTX 2080 Ti * 2

I am having the same problem with my LG ultrawide (display port adapter). The character models - well everything is stretched out.

Full Specs:

i7-8700 3.19 GHz

32.0 Gigs DDR5 ram

64 bit Windows 10

Geforce RTX 2080 Ti * 2

I don't think this is ever going to be addressed. I'd love to keep playing and I really enjoyed the game when it looks good but I can't play it with my monitor and I got this monitor specifically for gaming. But I can't enjoy it with everything stretched out and I've tapped the limit of what I can reasonably do to get it working. I hate to unsub that's exactly where I'm at now.

• 4 months later...