Change to Corso Riggs is class breaking

Decrisit

The recent change made to Corso Riggs altered his Harpoon shot into an Illegal Jetpack. While the change was done in mind to the majority of Gunslingers wanting a ranged tank that doesnt pull to them, this change has now greatly impacted the Scoundrel community. As Scoundrels, we rely heavily on Melee range attacks so having a ranged pull was a great benefit as we have NO GAP CLOSER. This change now completely alters the interaction between player and mob as now our tanking companion rockets away from us, leaving us stranded and having to traverse terrain to get in range for damage.

Despite the numerous threads on the Scoundrel Forums (Which have not seen any moderator posts in months), this change went through. Here's why this change was not needed, unnecessary, and short sighted:

1. Smugglers already had a tanking companion that could rush close a gap (i.e. Bowdaar).

2. Gunslingers have a number of ways to lengthen the gap between themselves and mobs to allow their rush closer tank (Bowdaar) to get to range and taunt.

3. Scoundrels now have no determinable way to close the gap from range to melee other than a slow traverse of terrain. If the Scoundrel is slowed in any way, now energy and time must be spent dispelling this effect with Triage in order to get within range.

Bioware, you have done a great disservice to the Scoundrel community in the past (As evident by the quickly dissolving number of players in our AC). This is the only change that I could not shrug through as it completely alters the flow of PvE. Please consider returning back to Harpoon shot.

Yeah, I'm kind of crabby about this myself. I guess I just look at it as a challenge, forcing me to figure out another way to play. But I sure wouldn't be upset if they put the harpoon skill back in or...gave us a choice. I know a lot of folks hated Corso's harpoon. I never could understand why but that's likely how we ended up...here.

I've a thread about this myself. This is freaking stupid. You are absolutely correct about the companions. The multiple companions are meant to provide different game play styles among different players and specs. If the gunslingers want a melee tank, there's Bowdaar, but give us Smugglers back Corso's Harpoon. Edited by Ramahospitality

I am also irritated by this change, especially as a Sawbones. I agree with the suggestion that they change it back. Having Corso leap into combat while I have to run after him does not sound fun or efficient for 95% of fights.

Though if they gave Scoundrels a leap like that too, this change could be pretty fun . . . :p

And let us not forget about our Imperial counterpart's companion Kaliyo. She could have been given the harpoon, rather than having Corso's taken away.

Edited by Gwena

I want harpoon back, Corso usually pulled the mob so it was in position fo me to do my stuff from the rear:D Now Corso goes flying to the mob and by the time my body type 4 sawbones gets to the mob I am exhausted. BW sure did suck a lot of fun out of this game with 1.2.

The recent change made to Corso Riggs altered his Harpoon shot into an Illegal Jetpack. While the change was done in mind to the majority of Gunslingers wanting a ranged tank that doesnt pull to them, this change has now greatly impacted the Scoundrel community. As Scoundrels, we rely heavily on Melee range attacks so having a ranged pull was a great benefit as we have NO GAP CLOSER. This change now completely alters the interaction between player and mob as now our tanking companion rockets away from us, leaving us stranded and having to traverse terrain to get in range for damage.

Despite the numerous threads on the Scoundrel Forums (Which have not seen any moderator posts in months), this change went through. Here's why this change was not needed, unnecessary, and short sighted:

1. Smugglers already had a tanking companion that could rush close a gap (i.e. Bowdaar).

2. Gunslingers have a number of ways to lengthen the gap between themselves and mobs to allow their rush closer tank (Bowdaar) to get to range and taunt.

3. Scoundrels now have no determinable way to close the gap from range to melee other than a slow traverse of terrain. If the Scoundrel is slowed in any way, now energy and time must be spent dispelling this effect with Triage in order to get within range.

Bioware, you have done a great disservice to the Scoundrel community in the past (As evident by the quickly dissolving number of players in our AC). This is the only change that I could not shrug through as it completely alters the flow of PvE. Please consider returning back to Harpoon shot.

/agree

/signed

Agree and signed.

Am sure other class types have their own complaints, but this in combination with the giggles being removed from Upper Hand/TA procs - make it seem like a true review of class needs and gameplay was not fully done or communicated to the scoundrel/operative community.

I miss the giggles so very much, and the harpoon shot was very useful as a sawbones while out and about in the game world.

Normally with patches I just go with the flow, adjust and adapt as needed even if I don't always agree. However, sometimes they just fiddle with things that were WORKING and break them. Please, fix what's broken and what truly needs more functionality and leave what's working alone.

In my opinion - most solutions should be to add or minorly tweak things, not completely alter or take them away.

I am a gunslinger on my alt and even I don't like this change. I used to think Corso pulling mobs to me was a pain but this change is even more annoying to me at least aesthetically.

Every class as a melee and ranged tank, melee and ranged DPS and a healer. Now we have two melee tanks.

Makes no sense at all.

theres no reason you cant make an option for corso guys the programming for it is juvenile at best. rewrite bowdaar to take care of dps gunslingers and let the rogues be rogues man. I truely am up in the air about even continuing to play swtor. Stupid unexplained nerfs are what caused me to quit eq wow and now possibly swtor. you have to look at the overall and keep us all happy. one account doesnt mean much to you in the format of a buisness but if you wish to grow you would listen. its easy to drop companion options into the game.

i dont care if i gotta buy a corso harpoon for 50k ill do it ... swtor has the largest time sink built programming ive ever come across in any game as it is with alot of repeating that gets frustrating and yet the story line keeps me interested. dont mess with my style of play tho.. bad news for your player base .. hope i hit a note you hear..

thanks for reading,

grandpa

Agreed and signed.

I play both gunslinger and scoundrel, always used Bowdaar as a gunslinger (cause he kept everyone away from me) and Corso for scoundrel (he tanked and didn't break CC like Bowdaar does, plus his cable).

Corso was our only "pulling" type, PLUS...what advantage is a gun if you aren't at distance to use it? We had Bowdaar and Akaavi for "in your face" melee fighting, we didn't need to add Corso to the mix.

I've managed just fine for each advanced class, you just need to choose the right companion for each situation, isn't that why we have 5? (droid not counting)

I can agree with this. Granted, though I'm a Scoundrel I don't use Corso too much anymore (I tend to use Guss the most now), but having him being able to reel in an enemy closer comes in very handy when I do bring him out into the field.

Either let us toggle the jetpack and harpoon abilities, or give Scoundrels some skill to close the distance to an enemy. Hell, give us the illegal jetpack. :t_tongue:

What?

When I'm playing my Scoundrel I start combat from behind a target in the group I'm attacking. I'm already in the ****. I don't need Corso to bring the **** to me. Really, if you're playing a Scoundrel and were relying on Corso to bring you the bad guys, you weren't playing your Advanced Class right to begin with.

This change is for the better, for both Gunslingers and Scoundrels.

:csw_redsaber::csw_bluesaber:

What?

When I'm playing my Scoundrel I start combat from behind a target in the group I'm attacking. I'm already in the ****. I don't need Corso to bring the **** to me. Really, if you're playing a Scoundrel and were relying on Corso to bring you the bad guys, you weren't playing your Advanced Class right to begin with.

This change is for the better, for both Gunslingers and Scoundrels.

:csw_redsaber::csw_bluesaber:

If you do not play a Scoundrel, you can not appropriately comment on this issue please as it was folks like you that got this change in. Besides, you already HAVE a companion that rockets in, BOWDAR! Use him and leave Corso the hell alone!

And about your "But we start in melee!", You... are aware that mob groups tend to be a little spread out right? Melee one and some others are bound to be ranged fighters. Corso would yank to melee range so you dont have to, and I quote myself "Begin a slow traverse of terrain" as we have NO GAP CLOSERS. My god!

:EDIT: Removed some name calling because, as noted, it really wasnt productive in the conversation. Seeing the above post just made me irritated.

Edited by Decrisit

Not all smugglers melee. The only time I melee at all is for Dirty Kick ;)

Sawbones specced, and dps assist from range. Having the ability to use Corso to pull a single mob to the tank or to get away from the fray so someone can CC (if needed) was very handy.

Seems like the simplest & most satisfying solution is to not give corso the ability at all until the smuggler gets the advanced class. Picking scoundrel gives corso harpoon shot and picking gunslinger gives him the jetpack

I'm a Saboteur Gunslinger.

I used Corso's harpoon all the time. To pull mobs AWAY FROM ME by putting it on manual rather than auto-use. And to yoink wanderers to where I could safely pummel them without disturbing other mobs with my AoE's.

I had to wait a dozen+ levels to get my stolen ship back. Bioware, don't make me come after you for Corso's harpoon.