"PT" Pyro

Cempa

Could some one explain why all the pyro hate? Why do so many say go tank and tank hybrid or we don't want you on the team! Used to be a time not long ago a full pyro PT was one of the most feared builds in WZs.

Because BW nerfed the Fire-dots damage destroying our burst. Now with OP healers all around you need a lot of burst and PT now lacks it.

Because BW nerfed the Fire-dots damage destroying our burst. Now with OP healers all around you need a lot of burst and PT now lacks it.

seriously?

Pyro has an awesome burst. dart-TD-FB-RS (15-20k+dmg within a few seconds)

......it only lacks survability

Edited by Herbzta

Are you talking about solo queue arena or war zones? AP brings more to the team in solo queue. It is atypical for a team with less/no AP tanks to beat a team with more AP tanks (specifically in solo queue). In war zones ap is terrible compared to pyro IMO. I also prefer pyro as a DPS in arena in team queue but APs are the best tanks currently.

In solo queue, everyone will whine until you switch to AP hybrid. As part of a team, full AP and full pyro are both great for dps. You can overwhelm a single op healer with all the dots. It's impossible for the healer to spend as many GCDs as it would take to keep the team continually dot free.

Pyro is just fine if you gear it right. Its not as bursty as before but it also is not as bad as when they first nerfed it (they buffed it a bit since the big nerf). Survivability is increased a bit as well. Not sure how it will work in arenas, AOE is king right now with all the smash/tactic hybrids running about.

Are you talking about solo queue arena or war zones? AP brings more to the team in solo queue. It is atypical for a team with less/no AP tanks to beat a team with more AP tanks (specifically in solo queue). In war zones ap is terrible compared to pyro IMO. I also prefer pyro as a DPS in arena in team queue but APs are the best tanks currently.

QFT. This guy knows what he is talking about. Ion cell hybrid in regular warzones is weaker than pyro due to less burst. Ion cell hybrid is great for 1v1 and small man (solo q arenas) but lack's the burst required in regs. The burst from pyro is still great and it is still a healer killer.

This is kind of the break down of it patch by patch (at least to me)

Pre-2.0: Pyro PT had extremely high burst but little survivability

Post-2.0: Low burst but more DoT damage that didn't even out at all with better survivability

Post-2.4: Good balance of burst/sustained damage with a fair ratio of survivability

In the end, I feel as if Pyro is in a very balanced place, as are all the PT specs if the hybrid spec weren't possible. But that's another issue completely.

AP PT - most of your defense is passive. Your attacks require more attention to detail because you depend on an ordered rotation and a three second channeled cone for DPS.

Pyro: attacks can be face rolled, there are only six that you actually use. But all of your defense is ACTIVE, and baddie players die stupid with most of their cool downs, or blow too many cooldowns when not needed.

You need to know which CD to use and when (WZ medpacks and adrenals, kolto overload, shields, crowd control, grenades, and Degauss flare)

Edited by Brunner_Venda

Pyro is just fine if you gear it right. Its not as bursty as before but it also is not as bad as when they first nerfed it (they buffed it a bit since the big nerf). Survivability is increased a bit as well. Not sure how it will work in arenas, AOE is king right now with all the smash/tactic hybrids running about.

On the contrary, single target is king because of all the AOE comps running around right now.

I'm leveling my PT as pyro so not 50 yet and found the hardest thing for me is which defensive CD to use when, my target build is:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#3010MZMsMZfhMrdRbffdz.3

1) 2 points in less heat when CC or 2% def: I tested this and found that the heat I lose from CC does not matter or will not change much would love feedback

2) 6% Aim or 6% Flame Burst: Seeing how much I flame Burst went for that..would love feedback if some one has done the math.

I really like what Pyro brings to the table in terms of helping your healer by peeling and perma snaring which ever melee is dumb enough to go after your healer when a Pyro is there!

As a pyro I really like my chances against melee is that normal or I just haven't gone up against skilled melee?

I'm leveling my PT as pyro so not 50 yet and found the hardest thing for me is which defensive CD to use when, my target build is:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#3010MZMsMZfhMrdRbffdz.3

1) 2 points in less heat when CC or 2% def: I tested this and found that the heat I lose from CC does not matter or will not change much would love feedback

2) 6% Aim or 6% Flame Burst: Seeing how much I flame Burst went for that..would love feedback if some one has done the math.

I really like what Pyro brings to the table in terms of helping your healer by peeling and perma snaring which ever melee is dumb enough to go after your healer when a Pyro is there!

As a pyro I really like my chances against melee is that normal or I just haven't gone up against skilled melee?

1. 2% defense is insignificant. Go for the alignment jets. In PVP, most of the ******* are going to start bouncing you around like a Ping pong ball. They'll think it's funny, but they'll actually be enabling you to spam high heat moves that kill more people - and they won't be smart enough to figure out why. I won a 4v2 in huttball mid doing this, because they repeatedly white barred me with pushes and pulls when they should have been focusing me down.

Overheating is a huge problem with pyro, and this fixes it.

2. Take both, especially the 9% aim. Put three points in steely resolve, it affects everything.

PS: A PT pyro guarded by a tank sin on Mumble is the most OP combo ever.

1 dot got nerved..burst doesn't come from this dot...it comes from DART-TD-FB-RS

stats at the end of the wz's were higher at the end pre-nerf...yes but that was just fluffy dot dmg..

The dot nerf took a third of our sustained damage.

It was the thermal det nerf that killed out burst.

1. 2% defense is insignificant. Go for the alignment jets. In PVP, most of the ******* are going to start bouncing you around like a Ping pong ball. They'll think it's funny, but they'll actually be enabling you to spam high heat moves that kill more people - and they won't be smart enough to figure out why. I won a 4v2 in huttball mid doing this, because they repeatedly white barred me with pushes and pulls when they should have been focusing me down.

Overheating is a huge problem with pyro, and this fixes it.

2. Take both, especially the 9% aim. Put three points in steely resolve, it affects everything.

PS: A PT pyro guarded by a tank sin on Mumble is the most OP combo ever.

How do I take both the 9% aim and 6% Flame Burst talent unless I move points out of Rail Shot?

Nothing wrong with pyro, just the hybrid is considered more OP so people expect you to play it.

Sorry, I meant take prototype burn enhancers for 6% to all fire effects. Leave hot iron.

Here's a standard setup.

http://www.noxxic.com/swtor/pvp/bounty-hunter/powertech/pyrotech/talent-build

Some people take pyro shield over volatile igniter, but both have their uses. Pyro shield helps win 1v1 fights because it damages your attacker, while volatile igniter helps finish off a crowd with low health faster (sweep slows six people, applies CGC to them, then rain of fire and burnout apply together. Some say it's fluff, but it has a lot of tactical use. I would argue that pyro shield is mostly fluff too. The more CGC you apply the better, because you do 9% more damage to all those targets))

Sorry, I meant take prototype burn enhancers for 6% to all fire effects. Leave hot iron.

Here's a standard setup.

http://www.noxxic.com/swtor/pvp/bounty-hunter/powertech/pyrotech/talent-build

Some people take pyro shield over volatile igniter, but both have their uses. Pyro shield helps win 1v1 fights because it damages your attacker, while volatile igniter helps finish off a crowd with low health faster (sweep slows six people, applies CGC to them, then rain of fire and burnout apply together. Some say it's fluff, but it has a lot of tactical use. I would argue that pyro shiel

d is mostly fluff too. The more CGC you apply the better, because you do 9% more damage to all those targets))

Volatile Igniter is just fluff damage. It's never going to do enough damage alone to kill anyone, and it will just eat up all of your heat. Pyro is so focused on single target damage, that even though CGC is on multiple people, you won't be able to take advantage of it. I'd much rather be able to stay alive longer / surprise an opponent with pyro shield.