Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can You All Do Something About the Toxic Conversations in the Gen Chat on the Fleets?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Can You All Do Something About the Toxic Conversations in the Gen Chat on the Fleets?

AlrikFassbauer
01.14.2018 , 07:42 AM | #111
In the end, it all boils down to society's changing. There have been developments in society which made people become more rude in recent times. It has to be found out what long-term developments led to society becoming that rude.

In the end, I fear that we are all part of an GIGANTIC "society experiment" which has been started at one point.

For example here in Germany, ca. 10 years ago there was a shift towards economy and away from social oriented polirtics. Wages were cut, and this created what we call here a "precariate" which has led to people becoming more and more uneasy and unsure about their future - with that low wages - meanwhile the profits of rich people went up. This led into a behaviour of peoplebecoming more and more selfish and rude - even ambulancepersons / paramedics are now attacked by people ! (Especially by drunk people.) Decades before, these helpers were protected by a kind of social taboo, because they were essentially helpers, and everyone could be in need of them one day. But now, they get attacked by aggresive and rude people if they want to help injured people. Not to mention policepersons, who are nowadays getting attacked by aggressive and rude people as well.

This gigantic social experiement can be titlöed as "how develop people when their future becomes more and more uncertain and more and more endangered by poorness because of low wages ?" Rich people just don't care about that, because they can freely move money around in the world so that they won't even pay too much taxes. The burden of taxes lasts on the middle and lower social classes. This social gap expresses itself in more and more toxic and rude behaviour.

People are more and more becoming selfish because ther's the riusk of poorness every day at their door. Uncertainty leads imho to this toxiticy we all see in the chat and in worldwide forums.
Complex minds
Cope with
Complex problems.

DarthEnrique
01.14.2018 , 02:23 PM | #112
Another cheese off, saw someone blasting mine and another person’s business in the fleet chat under one of my alts calling the other person a catfisher and I said nothing as I didn't want people to know it was me but it is disgusting how bad this chat is in the game, I get the person is trying to help keep others from falling into it but honestly why drag the person (me in this case) into it and why do people got to argue about it? This is just absolute toxicity in this game.
Trying to help my friend Ultimatedshadow out, please click his referral link. Thanks. http://www.swtor.com/r/5YzVTH

DarthEnrique
01.14.2018 , 02:28 PM | #113
Quote: Originally Posted by Jdast View Post
I know I'm late to the game in this thread, and it is true that I haven't read all the responses. Let's also stipulate that the internet doesn't convey sarcasm well, or -- in this case -- lack thereof.

To DWho and DEnrique, what do you want to use general chat for? That's not being snarky. The first thing I do when creating a character is set my chat tabs, and I ALWAYS turn general chat off. I'm a vet of WoW Barrens chat, I know there is nothing to be gained by engaging.

If you're looking for a channel to find like-minded folks to group -- create one! Word will spread. Ditto with RP.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with your diagnosis. But I think you are swimming upstream and / or playing whack-a-mole.

To wit: General Chat will always be a toxic cesspool. Given there are alternatives to mitigate the problem, why not utilize them?

Hugs,

Dasty
I watch the gen chat mostly for opportunities to do OPS groups or form them, other than that I don’t even talk in it.
Trying to help my friend Ultimatedshadow out, please click his referral link. Thanks. http://www.swtor.com/r/5YzVTH

Zolcor
04.15.2019 , 10:29 PM | #114
I have turned on my General chat before only to get terrible messages from players who seek to troll others, and other bad things. Yesterday I tried to sell a lightsaber for a good price and this guy whom I wont name for obvious reasons acts like a cheapskate and offers me offensive memes as payment. I can barely say even a simple hi without getting trolled, yelled at, or both. I once nearly lost my patience and nearly wanted to tell the Fleet that everyone in game seemed so mean, but I didn't. However the game's toxic chat makes me want to ignore almost the entire player base sometimes (not everyone is bad in game). I find it sad many can't say a simple word without getting targeted in a toxic way. The toxicity has even deterred me from playing the game at times.

Drenovade
04.15.2019 , 11:01 PM | #115
I keep a separate chat tab named "Social" in my chat box. On that tab, I have all the normal channels turned on for if I ever want to see what's going on in the main chat channels. But my General tab has the main channels turned off, including emotes because of the many RPers on the fleet who post very often.

That way, the default when I log in is to have peace and quiet, but the social tab is there if I ever need it. You can do this as well by right-clicking on your chat box, create a new tab, then right-click the tab and go to settings to select which channels you want on or off for that tab. I think relogging/loading screens will always default your character's selected chat tab back to General though, so keep that in mind.

Also, the ignore feature is great. Many of the regulars who run their mouth do so on a normal basis. If you keep ignoring them, you'll at least get rid of the bulk of the toxicity.
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/QKzQQL
New players get rewards, Returning players get rewards.
See full details here: http://www.swtor.com/info/friends

that_Spartan_IV
04.16.2019 , 12:01 AM | #116
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthEnrique View Post
From sex to politics the Fleet chats have become very disgustingly toxic since the server merge to the point where any of us that ask that the topics be taken elsewhere people start trolling and I have hit my max on the ignore list, and I am sure I am not the only one.

People say to turn of the chat but I shouldn’t have to do that especially when I watch the chat for OPS groups that are forming and those heppen in the General Chat so to turn that off I would miss opportunities to join OPS groups.

My suggestions:
Expand the ignore list limit
Or
Make a general OPS chat (like the trade and pvp chat) for people to be able to form an ops group that way if nothing else.
Literally every public chat has been like that.
"Two there should be, no more, no less."

Paulsutherland
04.16.2019 , 12:02 AM | #117
Heh you should have seen general chat on Ossus the other day. It gave fleet a run for its money.

benmas
04.16.2019 , 05:14 AM | #118
You could just like...not read it? I don't see why this is so hard. Just read what you want to read. No one is forcing you to read everything in the chat box.
Waythuk

The Red Eclipse-->Darth Malgus

BlueWanderer
04.16.2019 , 08:37 AM | #119
Obviously they can't. All the credit spammers prove that people can get in the game and say (in chat) anything they want even if Bioware doesn't want them to.

Rion_Starkiller
04.16.2019 , 09:16 AM | #120
Quote: Originally Posted by Zolcor View Post
I have turned on my General chat before only to get terrible messages from players who seek to troll others, and other bad things. Yesterday I tried to sell a lightsaber for a good price and this guy whom I wont name for obvious reasons acts like a cheapskate and offers me offensive memes as payment. I can barely say even a simple hi without getting trolled, yelled at, or both. I once nearly lost my patience and nearly wanted to tell the Fleet that everyone in game seemed so mean, but I didn't. However the game's toxic chat makes me want to ignore almost the entire player base sometimes (not everyone is bad in game). I find it sad many can't say a simple word without getting targeted in a toxic way. The toxicity has even deterred me from playing the game at times.
Welcome to the internet. Enjoy the ride.
Beruhl / Zenovia / Lobotomy / Sejanos / Warpunk
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Quote: Originally Posted by Trolltar View Post
I believe he's quoting a frequent contributor to these forums. His name is Strawman.
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunafox View Post
Thanks Rion Starbrah.