Commendations in 3.0

Brewski

Maybe it was covered already somewhere in this long thread, I don't know and I don't feel like reading through all the pages, so can somebody please answer this question?

What's going to happen to Arkanian, Underworld, Dread Forged and Dread Master tokens that have not been traded in for gear? Specifically Arkanian, because I have dozens of them sitting across various characters that I've accumulated since the GF ops were launched.

Can we trade in unused tokens for Commendations like we were able to trade in Tionese, Columi and Rakata tokens? Or will they become unusable after 3.0?

Some clarification would be appreciated.

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it was covered already somewhere in this long thread, I don't know and I don't feel like reading through all the pages, so can somebody please answer this question?

What's going to happen to Arkanian, Underworld, Dread Forged and Dread Master tokens that have not been traded in for gear? Specifically Arkanian, because I have dozens of them sitting across various characters that I've accumulated since the GF ops were launched.

Can we trade in unused tokens for Commendations like we were able to trade in Tionese, Columi and Rakata tokens? Or will they become unusable after 3.0?

From a dev post in another topic which got linked earlier in this topic (somewhere!), all the tokens and old gear will remain instead of being removed like in 2.0

So if you have Arkanian tokens, you can still swap them though they'll have a different vendor now, and they'll just not be as good as new gear. But they'll still be around.

Dude this is pure gold right here man, LMAO, ive been saying the same thing just in a different ways...everyone is so up in arms over basic coms like it's "THE" next best thing to come out in Swtor...Bwahaha i'm dying over here bro..
that how i react when i see i ppl getting super excited over basic coms for 3.0:D:D:p:p:p

Maybe I'm missing something...

Once I hit 60, my 55 gear will be outdated. My options would then be:

1. Grind new elite/ultimate commendations in 55 gear;

2. Get a basic set of 60 gear with basic commendations to grind new elite/ultimate commendations;

That considered, I'd think that 2000 basic commendations would be preferable to no commendations and old gear.

What am I missing?

here you go..

Alright, here are the details:

• The Obroan and Brutalizer sets will be removed from vendors and replaced by the new Unranked and Ranked sets respectively.
  • The existing PvE sets will all be moved to a different vendor than they are on currently.

Hope that helps!

-eric

all your current tokens can still be turned in for w/e gear they are worth Ark for ark...UW for UW ...DF for DF DM for DM....nothing is changing in that area..the only thing you'll notice when you log on. is the current vendor only sell the new end game gear Lvl60...and the old gear have been move to a new vendor in some dark corner of the fleet:p;)

I hope they have kept in mind that with the extremely generous rates for commendations many players will have reached over the max 1000 to gain new comms.

We have to be able to spend those commendations on gear because if we can not everytime we do a quest that will grant us commendations we will hear that annoying "you have reached the maximum commendations" sound and lose the commendation reward. They have used level restrictions to buy gear before, lets hope they have not this time.

Edited by Icestar

Maybe I'm missing something...

Once I hit 60, my 55 gear will be outdated. My options would then be:

1. Grind new elite/ultimate commendations in 55 gear;

2. Get a basic set of 60 gear with basic commendations to grind new elite/ultimate commendations;

That considered, I'd think that 2000 basic commendations would be preferable to no commendations and old gear.

What am I missing?

it depends on what your current gear is, if you are 180 bis Dread forge "not oriconian" or 186 bis then u have nothing to worry about..but if u are below that then u should be looking buy w/e gear basic coms let you buy...i just dint think people should be so overly excited to buy com gear..

They have not explicitly said what will happen with tokens. Gear sets will remain, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the tokens do. Or don't.

The new tiers will therefore be:

• Basic - leveling gear and entry level 60 gear. (Believed to be 186 gear with a level 58 requirement.)
  • Elite - 192 gear (specific level not confirmed)
  • Ultimate - 196 gear (specific level not confirmed)

What will the PvP gear rating be?

What will the PvP gear rating be?

There's been no official word as far as I am aware, but you can expect it to be a few tiers under the new top PVE tiers due to Expertise. 162 is the top PvP gear rating now, which is the same as basic gear, so using that we can theorize the new top PvP gear will be around 186 level, give or take a few points. That would suggest around 180 for the entry level 60 PvP gear.

But as I said, no official word on this, so these are just my personal guess.

I hope they have kept in mind that with the extremely generous rates for commendations many players will have reached over the max 1000 to gain new comms.

We have to be able to spend those commendations on gear because if we can not everytime we do a quest that will grant us commendations we will hear that annoying "you have reached the maximum commendations" sound and lose the commendation reward. They have used level restrictions to buy gear before, lets hope they have not this time.

While it is annoying to lose out of comms that are quest rewards, its important to remember that being over the 1000 comm cap while earning additional comms is still better than earning those comms if there is nothing you can buy that is an upgrade or can be sold for credits or used in crafting.

Basically, if you have 2000 Basic comms at level 55 and you can't buy anything you want or need with them until level 58, if you spent enough to get under the 1000 comm cap so you can earn more comms from the missions that level you from 55 to 58, then you will have at most 1000 comms at 58 when you can finally buy an upgrade. Whereas if you just write off those mission rewards and hold onto the 2000 you started with until you hit level 58, then you have twice the comms to spend on the gear that is actually an upgrade for you.

No, assuming it is handled like RotHC, I intend to run no content that awards basic comms between levels 55 and 60. I'll grind PVP instead.* There are more useful things to spend comms on there, at least for those of us who do PVP, even below max level.

Now I might save some missions in the log for XP (so I can PVP almost immediately with the level 57 ability, I hope, as I did in RotHC to PVP with the level 51 ability). But I won't be running the storyline at level if I can't enjoy the rewards from it due to overflow restriction.

Better to find another way to get to 60, spend the overflow basic comms on useful items at level cap, then go back and do the story (while enjoying its full rewards).

I doubt this is an intended effect of present overflow mechanics but it is nevertheless a present disincentive to run expansion content if our present comms would convert into the 1000-2000 range. A short grace period where we could earn basics up to the planned overflow limit of 2000 would eliminate this disincentive to run expansion content at level. The ability to earn overflow comms would stop a week or two later, followed by another reasonable period of time to spend comms to get under the cap. Even though it's probably not currently planned, I would still encourage it as a suggestion ;)

*Yes, I do both PVP and PVE. If you're in a warzone with me, you don't have to worry about me being a PVE scrub that's just there for PVE reasons.

That seems like a good plan to me! :)

I'm a big fan of the stories and don't like to put off experiencing them before guildies and friends spoil too much though. I'm sure there will be more than enough ways of earning the comms at any point between level 55 and 60 that the ones lost from story missions won't matter at all. With the removal of classic and planetary comms, even Ilum dailies and low level heroic are likely to hand out Basic comms like candy on Halloween.

Basically, if you have 2000 Basic comms at level 55 and you can't buy anything you want or need with them until level 58

So it will be 3 levels of annoying sounds every time I hand in a quest that gives commendations?

They should let us spend the commendations from the start at level 55 and enjoy the questrewards while leveling.

The "overflow" commendations has been earned one way or the other before the expansion anyways.

So it will be 3 levels of annoying sounds every time I hand in a quest that gives commendations?

They should let us spend the commendations from the start at level 55 and enjoy the questrewards while leveling.

The "overflow" commendations has been earned one way or the other before the expansion anyways.

Go from 55-60 in PvP then...problem solved. Sure you will have to wait a bit to run the new content {lol}, but you will not feel the guilt of losing comms constantly. Alternatively you could log in on day one of the patch and buy what you can with basic comms {things not lvl restricted above 55} and transfer them to an alt to cash in and hold {like players have been doing since day 1 of legacy storage}...if that is still possible after 3.0.

Now while I will lvl from 55-60 in pvp only before bothering with Revan, I would not expect this of most {you included}...so take it as humor. But I do know what you mean. Was a similar feeling after 2.0 and when planet comms were capped at 50. While I did not care then as I had no use for them at that time {old Rakata (58s) was the best they could buy then and by that point everyone had 61 and 63s}...I still hated losing them. At least they upped it to 100 within the first or so patch post 2.0.

Just ship the commendations to an alt after 3.0 goes live (assuming the process outlined in this thread isn't removed in 3.0) and then ship them back when you hit level 60. Given the fact that the process hasn't been blocked, and that the thread has not been deleted or refuted by Bioware, this seems to be an acceptable practice, at least at the moment.

Just ship the commendations to an alt after 3.0 goes live (assuming the process outlined in this thread isn't removed in 3.0) and then ship them back when you hit level 60. Given the fact that the process hasn't been blocked, and that the thread has not been deleted or refuted by Bioware, this seems to be an acceptable practice, at least at the moment.

I do not want to move commendations around, it should not be the only solution if I want to keep questrewards I have earned and not let them go to waste.

I intend to start the expansion like it is supposed to be done 2 december, time will tell if they allow players to spend their earned commendations or if they intend to block them from spending them.

I do not want to move commendations around, it should not be the only solution if I want to keep questrewards I have earned and not let them go to waste.

I intend to start the expansion like it is supposed to be done 2 december, time will tell if they allow players to spend their earned commendations or if they intend to block them from spending them.

You have many options for spending or holding your commendations. If you choose not to exercise them, that is really your prerogative. Just don't expect a lot of sympathy.

I mean, I still want a pony, and I still can't get one.

The world is still an unfair place.

You have many options for spending or holding your commendations. If you choose not to exercise them, that is really your prerogative. Just don't expect a lot of sympathy.

I propose a compromise. I have a pony keg in my basement right now. Untapped. Because someone broke my tap and didn't tell me.

So if you can bring a tap, I'll share my pony keg. I even have a couple of saw horses we can stack it on if you want to pretend like you're riding a real pony. After a few glasses you won't be able to tell the difference.

Edited by Orizuru

I propose a compromise. I have a pony keg in my basement right now. Untapped. Because someone broke my tap and didn't tell me.

So if you can bring a tap, I'll share my pony keg. I even have a couple of saw horses we can stack it on if you want to pretend like you're riding a real pony. After a few glasses you won't be able to tell the difference.

That must be some pretty strong brew. Count me in. :cool:

Okay,

Now suppose the player is getting close to level 50. He sees that Makeb level mods can get him 140 gear. So he saves up his basic comms, and at level 50 jumps into 140 rating gear. This is where it gets vague for me. Between 50 and 55, he will do tactical and HM flashpoints, dailies, etc. all earning basic comms. Supposedly, these basic comms will be able to purchase 146 gear, 162 gear, 168 gear, 180 gear and 186 gear. So will every leveling player essentially jump straight from 140 gear to 180 gear (i.e. save all comms earned during those levels and then buy all 180 gear at 55)? Will it work like PvP, where you have to buy the 162 gear, then spend that gear plus comms to buy the 168 gear, and so on? Or maybe the 162 gear will only cost a few comms, while 180 gear will cost a lot of comms? Or perhaps you can buy 146 gear at level 51, 162 gear at level 52, 168 gear at level 53, etc. I suppose any of these is viable with its own pros and cons.

A further complication is that, currently at least, you don't need gear from 47-55. I.e. as soon as you turn 47 you can go to Makeb and get your gear bolstered to 156 while on Makeb. Being cheap, I would be very wary of spending between level 45 and 3.0 starter gear.

There is the best level 60 gear you can buy in 3.0 with basics. Anything below that is you "buying time" deciding that the cost of the gear is worth it in terms of helping you level faster/easier. Which varies by person as to skill, class, role, leveling method and wealth.

E.g., clearly the most efficient use of basic comms is to start with 2000 and level from 55 to 60 via GSF and arrive at 60 having spent nothing on gear and buy a full set of 1?? level 60 gear. That will not the best solution for most.

What?

I am talking about spending commendations, I WANT to spend my commendations on 186 gear as soon as the expansion is live. What I am against is have no option to spend them and let all questcommendations go to waste.

All they have to do is not have a level restriction to buy 186 gear when the expansion is live and I am happy. They can ofcourse keep the restriction to equip the gear.

Edited by Icestar

A further complication is that, currently at least, you don't need gear from 47-55. I.e. as soon as you turn 47 you can go to Makeb and get your gear bolstered to 156 while on Makeb. Being cheap, I would be very wary of spending between level 45 and 3.0 starter gear.

There is the best level 60 gear you can buy in 3.0 with basics. Anything below that is you "buying time" deciding that the cost of the gear is worth it in terms of helping you level faster/easier. Which varies by person as to skill, class, role, leveling method and wealth.

E.g., clearly the most efficient use of basic comms is to start with 2000 and level from 55 to 60 via GSF and arrive at 60 having spent nothing on gear and buy a full set of 1?? level 60 gear. That will not the best solution for most.

Keep in mind that once 12x is over we're back to "normal" leveling, where you get abundant green trash drops appropriate for your class and level as you go. That works the same on Makeb as anywhere else (with the bonus that you also get the bolster). And we can expect it to work the same with the new leveling planets and ordinary leveling quests and class mission as well.

They specifically stated in fact that they intend for players not to need to make side trips or take time out to grind gear in order to go right into the new leveling zones. You also won't need to grind gear before you can walk straight into the (story mode) new operations at level 60.

There never has been a need for blue or purple gear while leveling from 1 to 50, or 50 to 55, and we can expect that there won't be from 55 to 60. Moving on from Makeb to Yavin IV will be no different than moving on from Voss to Corellia, or Corellia to Makeb. Whatever you have when you finish the last planet will do just fine to get you started on the next one.

Unless you have a burning desire to loiter and grind out higher quality gear while you're leveling, there won't be any real good reason to spend Basic comms on anything until you hit 60, where you can spend them on the most powerful gear that they can buy.

Maybe once you're all geared up you will want to pass Basic comms down to leveling alts, like people do today, but unless you're running into the 1,000 comm cap, you're better off after 3.0 saving them all up until the end.

Edited by Heezdedjim

• Dev Post
I've been meaning to ask, what does this mean for all the equipment that is currently available for those currencies? Will they become available with Basic commendations?

The following items will still be available from drops, vendors, and token exchange vendors:

• Arkanian
  • Black Market
  • Underworld
  • Kell Dragon
  • Dread Forged
  • Dread Master

The following are no longer available on vendors, but can still be found as drops:

• Verpine
  • Oriconian

The following were only available as drops, and will still be available only as drops:

• Shadowed
  • Dread Touched

Also as a reminder, all current PvP sets will be removed from the game and replaced with the new level 60 sets. You can still find their equivalent appearance in their PvE form though.

Thanks everyone!

-eric

The following items will still be available from drops, vendors, and token exchange vendors:
  • Arkanian
  • Black Market
  • Underworld
  • Kell Dragon
  • Dread Forged
  • Dread Master

The following are no longer available on vendors, but can still be found as drops:

• Verpine
  • Oriconian

The following were only available as drops, and will still be available only as drops:

• Shadowed
  • Dread Touched

Also as a reminder, all current PvP sets will be removed from the game and replaced with the new level 60 sets. You can still find their equivalent appearance in their PvE form though.

Thanks everyone!

-eric

Thanks for the update/clarification!