So...Assassin changes in 2.0

cycao

Assassin

-A new ability, Phase Walk, has been added. Phase Walk allows the Assassin to place a mark that can be instantly returned to at a later time, after which Phase Walk goes on cooldown. This ability is usable in stealth mode and trainable at level 51.

-All abilities that formerly required a double-bladed Lightsaber may now be performed with an Electrostaff.

-Guard: Crowd control effects that break on damage will no longer break from damage redirected through Guard. For example, a blinded guarder will no longer be broken out of the blind from damage dealt to a guarded target within guard range.

-Guard: Effects that are triggered through dealing damage which affect a target who is guarded will no longer also affect the guarder.

-Discharge (Lightning) no longer has a cooldown. Discharge (Dark) now has a 6 second cooldown. Discharge (Surging) has been redesigned. This ability is now only usable with one or more Static Charge, which builds when Surging Charge triggers. Discharge (Surging) deals more damage per Static Charge consumed. Discharge (Surging) no longer has a cooldown.

-Overcharge Saber now additionally increases the chance to trigger Saber Charges by 35% and now heals players for 15% of max health when used.

-A new ability, Phase Walk, has been added. Phase Walk allows the Assassin to place a mark that can be instantly returned to at a later time, after which Phase Walk goes on cooldown. Usable in stealth mode. Trainable at level 51.

Darkness

-Dark Ward no longer has a Force cost and now has a 15-second cooldown.

Deception

-Surging Charge can now only trigger once every 4.5 seconds and deals significantly more damage. In addition, when it triggers it builds 1 stack of Static Charge. Static Charge is consumed by Discharge to deal additional damage.

-Voltaic Slash no longer increases the damage dealt by Shock. Instead, this ability stacks up to 2 times and builds Voltage, which gives Shock a 50% chance per stack to automatically trigger Surging Charge and bypass its rate limit.

Madness (Assassin)

-Creeping Terror's damage has been slightly increased.

Edited by cycao
goofed the title.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What'll be interesting to see, is if, for example, you are being ravaged by a carnage marauder, and because of their ability, you are being mezzed, so you can't move etc. If you have most everything on cooldown to mitigate this damage, I wonder if you could use the teleport ability on the spot, to avoid the damage. It's similar to using your in combat stealth ability while being ravaged. The purpose is for the ravage ability to stop.

imo this Discharge (Surging) has been redesigned. This ability is now only usable with one or more Static Charge, which builds when Surging Charge triggers. Discharge (Surging) deals more damage per Static Charge consumed. Discharge (Surging) no longer has a cooldown.

is very disgusting

edit: this is horrible too : Deception

-Surging Charge can now only trigger once every 4.5 seconds and deals significantly more damage. In addition, when it triggers it builds 1 stack of Static Charge. Static Charge is consumed by Discharge to deal additional damage.

-Voltaic Slash no longer increases the damage dealt by Shock. Instead, this ability stacks up to 2 times and builds Voltage, which gives Shock a 50% chance per stack to automatically trigger Surging Charge and bypass its rate limit.

edit 2 : I guess the deception hybrid will be the ''fun'' build to play for me...I like the actual deception better.

However, I cant have a final opinion untill I try the new deception...

Edited by Philelectric

I haven't played on the PTS yet, but the assassin changes don't look too good compared to what I heard, especially compared to what the other classes got in terms of defensive CDs (also the TTK goes way up imo; higher expertise, changes in alacrity etc.). The phase walk thing is fun and nice, but I don't think it offers the utility needed to make DPS assassins viable. Also I'm hearing that they decreased crit a lot, making alacrity a must, means you really need to get CS to put out discharges fast enough.

Also, no more instant-force lift. With reduced crit if it's really true, the darkness-hybrid might be dead too. With the defensive stats finally working, guess what assassin's job will be from now on...

i dislike the changes to voltaic strike, as well. but if they FINALLY fix assassin's training to actually increase the damage shock does by 25% (it doesn't work now, and hasn't worked since launch), it might not be so bad.

the changes to discharge with surging charge active, i have mixed feelings about. if we can get 3 stacks of static charges up relatively quick, then great. if it also increases discharge damage at the same value that 5 stacks does now, fantastic. nerfing either the rate at which stacks occur or the damage a full stack does will be disheartening, though.

I want to talk about Phase Walk. The way I read it is basically like the Shadow Step Rogue ability from WoW, but you have to aim it. Not sure I like this as only being able to open on people. Hopefully there are new abilities in our talent trees that have something to do with this. The way it sounds is its only useable from stealth so you can't use it as a kite breaker. Maybe you can Vanish then use it for some wicked escape potential. Or closing extreme gaps to interrupt a cap. Like 60m away you can Sprint, Phase Walk, then Deathfield that last 30m. lol that will be fun. IDK, we will see.

You guys are missing the big picture which is that they did not reveal the changes to the skills in the trees when they gave a "General" overview of the changes to the classes. VS missing the shock buff might not be such a deal breaker when you're getting a "free" Duplicity buff from every Low slash and Spike separate from the normal rate limit of 9sec (if the datamined info continues to very closely coincide w todays reveal). In PvE, that's 2x the procced mauls at a minimum, plus one for every time you cloak out to refresh your regen rate. In PvP Spike, auto-proc maul, low slash, auto-proc maul, VS (maul proc) maul again... our burst Dmg in Deception is still going to be there, but it appears like they are moving it to a backstab heavy motif.

Also, who knows what they buffed Surging charge dmg to, plus the fact that you will now likely only need 3 stacks to max out discharge now vs. the 5 we currently never build up to. Nerve Wracking is supposedly moving to our tree and I'm also very psyched about the new +10% dmg to all targets under 30% hp talent if it shows up here as well. If even half the datamined info makes it into 2.0 - we will be in a much better place than we are today, which is not such a bad place to begin with.

Edited by IronmanSS

You guys are missing the big picture which is that they did not reveal the changes to the skills in the trees when they gave a "General" overview of the changes to the classes. VS missing the shock buff might not be such a deal breaker when you're getting a "free" Duplicity buff from every Low slash and Spike separate from the normal rate limit of 9sec (if the datamined info continues to very closely coincide w todays reveal). In PvE, that's 2x the procced mauls at a minimum, plus one for every time you cloak out to refresh your regen rate. In PvP Spike, auto-proc maul, low slash, auto-proc maul, VS (maul proc) maul again... our burst Dmg in Deception is still going to be there, but it appears like they are moving it to a backstab heavy motif.

Also, who knows what they buffed Surging charge dmg to, plus the fact that you will now likely only need 3 stacks to max out discharge now vs. the 5 we currently never build up to. Nerve Wracking is supposedly moving to our tree and I'm also very psyched about the new +10% dmg to all targets under 30% hp talent if it shows up here as well. If even half the datamined info makes it into 2.0 - we will be in a much better place than we are today, which is not such a bad place to begin with.

havnt test on PTS myself yet but... someone in shadow section posted that they went from 37% crit on live server all the way down to 26% on PTS because of new DR to stats. also surge was down from 76% to 66% i think. changes to crit DR gimps inf/desc specs. noncrit damage isnt very good so being able to get a few extra backstabs in isnt going to make up for what is lost. also, 30% less damage on projects/shock and upheavals added to 11% lower critrate is a big nerf. inf/desc specs are now more true melee instead of having a good mix of short range and melee attacks. we are actually more melee than sents and mars are now.

with changes to how shielding works, KC/Darknes specs are the way to go, sadly.

Edited by MiaRB

Not sure how stats are meant to be now, but my def rating has gone from 33.54% to 26% in the same gear, absorb is down from 53% to 38%, thats wearing the old gear though, and not accounting for things like dark wards new absorption bonus.

lol with the new changes in 1.2 i'm kinda confused how to gear now for dps sin now since apparently alacrity is good now my guess is get 100% or as close to it accuracy 75% surge and and rest in alacrity/power and crit i have no idea since with a full set of the new pve gear only got liek 21% crit idk just a guess Edited by Zaxem

Every time I read that section I get a different picture of how that rotation is meant to work. I will give it a shot tho. I hope that overcharge saber gets a decent cd reduction.Depending on how this marker system plays out phase walk could be the next stun bubble in pvp. If it doesn't reset when you break stealth it could be kiting tool.

after testing some stuff out on the PTS, there's some odd and/or interesting changes. now, maul can proc induction, lowering the cost of shock by 25% stacking twice. also, chain shock has been moved into the bottom of the deception tree. so no need to go into the 2nd tree of madness. although getting the lowered cost shock/vs/thrash might be worth it now. and, you need 35 points in a tree to get the top talent.

also, its rather easy to get 3 stacks of surging charge, so you can use discharge quite often at full power. but shock hits for a lot less. even with another tier of assassin training granted along the way to 55, the shocks aren't hitting all that hard.

i will say, i couldn't get my main to copy over to the PTS, so i had to use an old character copy, which has only WH gear and no augments. i also picked up as many of the new pve gear they give you for free when you use the level booster. still, i was seeing similar numbers as i get on live with my EWH gear. maybe having all augmented gear will be a big enough boost. but from the numbers ppl are claiming to see in wz's, i'm not too sure how well deception will pan out.

Edited by Soull

from what I can see assassins are only viable for rwz as a node guard and they are by far the best node guard in the changes, everything got buffed so hard and decep got nerfed to the ground, may still be viable for 1v1 etc, but other than that if you want to do rwz have fun node guarding guess im going to level something else Edited by rmitchell

Assassins may not be the unrivaled best node guard there is. Snipers get +30 stealth detection, another getaway tool, are already equipped with CC immunity, immunity to leaps/pulls, that nice plasma probe for cap stopping... oh, and they get a new shiny "remove all debuffs" button.

Assassins may not be the unrivaled best node guard there is. Snipers get +30 stealth detection, another getaway tool, are already equipped with CC immunity, immunity to leaps/pulls, that nice plasma probe for cap stopping... oh, and they get a new shiny "remove all debuffs" button.

snipers cant hide, if a team does a good switch from say the middle node in tcw to the opponents off node a sniper will get destroyed.

snipers cant hide, if a team does a good switch from say the middle node in tcw to the opponents off node a sniper will get destroyed.

That is the job of the main team to identify when the enemy attempts a node switch. The idea is, that before snipers could be caught flatfooted by stealthers coming to ninja. 1vs1 with the ability to deny the stealther's opening on the sniper, leaves room for a very decent 1vs1 sniper survivability, if not even outright killing the assassin attempting to 1vs1, goven how mich higher the sniper skill ceiling will become in 2.0 now.

Edited by NoTomorrow

That is the job of the main team to identify when the enemy attempts a node switch. The idea is, that before snipers could be caught flatfooted by stealthers coming to ninja. 1vs1 with the ability to deny the stealther's opening on the sniper, leaves room for a very decent 1vs1 sniper survivability, if not even outright killing the assassin attempting to 1vs1, goven how mich higher the sniper skill ceiling will become in 2.0 now.

I still cannot believe that they gave snipers this ability...its like they do not want them to have a counter.

While Phase Walk seems to be a great utility ability, but they basically nerfed the Hybrid Sin Tank and Deception from the looks of it. However, Juggs and Mara's got over the top new abilities. Juggs got Force Shroud on steroids and Mara's got a new 30 m cone attack that both damages & slows targets . Guess those classes were under-powered (hard to say that with a straight face) Edited by thefishdude