Gathering crafting materials in Flashpoints

Lately I've noticed a lot of people slowing down a run in order to sit there scanning dead bodies for crafting materials. Frankly I don't care to have my time wasted and it's become aggravating enough that I've started to just drop from parties when it happens.

Is this a common practice and I just didn't get the memo?

I think the common etiquette is to forgo most of the gathering in the interest of keeping the group going. On my tank I never stop since I really set the pace, and conversely if I notice someone is hanging back and gathering I don't slow down for them. It's never become a problem and they tend to pick it up. If a DPS notices they're constantly left behind they likely get worried about keeping their spot, and I've never seen a healer do it.

On my healer I'll get a bit ridiculous and gather in the middle of pulls, especially if I see I'm the only one with the skill. I usually keep it down to one gather at the end of each pull, which is just enough to not fall behind, and I don't mind when people do that on either of my toons.

Why shouldn't they harvest? They have the skill and a need for those resources. If those few seconds needed to harvest really bother you that much do continue to drop group, but at least have the decency to announce why so those who don't wish to be abandoned in mid run again may put you on ignore.

The hurry hurry hurry faster faster faster mindset that us developing in this game is getting out of control.

Lately I've noticed a lot of people slowing down a run in order to sit there scanning dead bodies for crafting materials. Frankly I don't care to have my time wasted and it's become aggravating enough that I've started to just drop from parties when it happens.

Its pooper scooping, its bad enough the tank takes smoke breaks before pulling its after fights others are pooper scooping the droid parts and slowing flashpoints down..

This kind of depends. If I'm the only one having any interest in gathering stuff, I usually just gather 1-2 things after battles so that I can still catch up with my group. If more than just me want to gather stuff, especially in sm fps, I kind of think that the majority should be respected, just like in full run vs. speed run-thing. If majority of the group wants to gather or wait so other people can gather, then the group should wait.

Why shouldn't they harvest?

Because they're doing it on my time and it's not what we're there for?

Anyone can go slaughter mobs for mats at their leisure, but when I queue up for a Flashpoint, then my interest is in doing the Flashpoint content. Having to wait for the tank or whoever to sit there scanning dead bodies between every pull gets annoying real fast, plus there's no way to divvy up that loot evenly so it comes across as incredibly selfish and inconsiderate.

Tbh the new flashpoints are so fast, even with the bonus boss, that the haste is pointless. You're going to get capped on the elite comms easily anyway so might as well make every run count.

If people are harvesting I don't mind, I'll wait for them if I'm not doing it myself at the time.

If it annoys you that much, form guild groups. That's what most people do anyway, so you don't have to worry about kicks or harvesting or anything.

[EDIT: btw, if you consider dropping a group over a minor thing like this, perhaps you weren't in such a hurry in the first place and might want to consider calming down. If you are indeed in a hurry, stating as much in group chat before starting might help with the situation]

Edited by GeckoOBac

Because they're doing it on my time and it's not what we're there for?

Sorry for the double post but I had to answer to this:

I think this might be the most self centered post I've ever seen outside of pure trolling. KUDOS, I guess.

Guess what, there's 3 more people doing the flashpoint and it's THEIR time too, and THEY decide as well what they're there for.

It is a common enough practice that you'd better get used to it :)

On my healer I'll get a bit ridiculous and gather in the middle of pulls, especially if I see I'm the only one with the skill. I usually keep it down to one gather at the end of each pull, which is just enough to not fall behind, and I don't mind when people do that on either of my toons.

I am exactly the same way, down to scavenging during pulls :D. And yes, I usually limit myself to only gather one thing and move on.

I am sorry, but dead bodies are a content for me. I slice elevators and I scavenge anything I can, as this is the only way I will be able to do the same in higher level flashpoints. But you are always free to leave if you do not like what is going on. There is also vote kick if you did not notice.

It's less a need for speed than it is me taking offense at people basically going "la la la, I'm going to waste your time because I have no consideration for other people's time".

If you need to farm mats then go farm mats, but don't volunteer me to help you farm mats in the middle of a run. That's not what I signed up for.

Edited by cidbahamut

On my operative healer, who is both Scav and Bio, I spend quite a bit of time during and a little bit after pulls gathering crafting materials. I've never let anyone die because of it, but I'm not going to pass up on 2-3k credits worth of mats for 2.9 seconds of "work".

I utilize Jet Boost or Exfiltrate to catch up to the group quickly. I'm all for fast pulls though...heck if the tank starts waiting on an AFK DPS or something I'll wind up an Orbital Strike to let him know its time to move on. What really gets on my nerves is waiting 5+ minutes for everyone to show up before clearing trash.