lost guild

wilkiealbert

no star wars online did it the game peppel there did it

No, it's an automatic system. If the guild leader *character* doesn't log in for 28 (?maybe 30?) days, the guild management part of the game transfers the leadership to another member of the guild in order to prevent the kind of issues seen in MMORPGs without such a system. Most MMORPG guild systems have at least some things that only guild leaders can do, and if the guild leader is an "absentee landlord", as it were, and those things are important, there's a problem.

SWTOR's automatic leadership transfer system prevents those problems, but the "price" is that the leader must take proactive steps (er, logging in) in order to not lose the status.

If the new leader will not relinquish leadership, SWTOR's customer service will not intervene.

No, it's an automatic system. If the guild leader *character* doesn't log in for 28 (?maybe 30?) days, the guild management part of the game transfers the leadership to another member of the guild in order to prevent the kind of issues seen in MMORPGs without such a system. Most MMORPG guild systems have at least some things that only guild leaders can do, and if the guild leader is an "absentee landlord", as it were, and those things are important, there's a problem.

SWTOR's automatic leadership transfer system prevents those problems, but the "price" is that the leader must take proactive steps (er, logging in) in order to not lose the status.

If the new leader will not relinquish leadership, SWTOR's customer service will not intervene.

well that's kind of hard to do if your in the hospital for that long and your not a load to have a computer or even a cell so you tell how you can do it with out that come on tell me.

Bad luck dude, similar thing happened to me once.

If none of the other guild members are active, keep logging back in every day and it will revert back to you in 30 days. If not and the new GM *is* active at least once every 30 days, you'll have to message them and hope that they log on and transfer it back...

well that's kind of hard to do if your in the hospital for that long and your not a load to have a computer or even a cell so you tell how you can do it with out that come on tell me.

What Chryptyk said: set up a "succession", that is, a plan for who will get the leadership (i.e. who will succeed(1) you) if, for whatever reason, you can't play for that long. That way, a trusted person will get the leadership rather than some random person that you have no idea about.

That is, if you can't play for whatever reason, well, duh, you can't play. You can't prevent the leadership from transferring to *someone*, but you *can* make sure it transfers to someone that *you* think should have it, presumably because you trust that person to hand it back to you.

(1) In the sense of taking on the role after the current person is unable to continue, rather than "the opposite of failing".

What Chryptyk said: set up a "succession", that is, a plan for who will get the leadership (i.e. who will succeed(1) you) if, for whatever reason, you can't play for that long. That way, a trusted person will get the leadership rather than some random person that you have no idea about.

That is, if you can't play for whatever reason, well, duh, you can't play. You can't prevent the leadership from transferring to *someone*, but you *can* make sure it transfers to someone that *you* think should have it, presumably because you trust that person to hand it back to you.

(1) In the sense of taking on the role after the current person is unable to continue, rather than "the opposite of failing".

ya well it not fair at all I played hard to get the guild they should not be a lode to take it this is the only game that does it my star trek online did not do it I steal have my fleets so all of this is unfair to us all you can defend them all you wont and if you r your r no better then they r

ya well it not fair at all I played hard to get the guild they should not be a lode to take it this is the only game that does it my star trek online did not do it I steal have my fleets so all of this is unfair to us all you can defend them all you wont and if you r your r no better then they r

SWTOR is not the only MMO to automatically transfer guild leadership should you be inactive for a very long time -- in fact, ST:O is more of an outlier.

I'm sorry that you lost your guild, but this does fall on you to a degree. You left your guild succession in a path where you could not get it back; as unfortunate as it is, that's because of how you administrated the guild, not BioWare.

Guilds simply can not (and shouldn't!) function without an active guild leader. SWTOR (and BioWare) can't parse if you're gone because you quit the game or for a medical reason. So they have an automated system, if a leader's gone for too long, leadership passes elsewhere.

It is what it is.

SWTOR is not the only MMO to automatically transfer guild leadership should you be inactive for a very long time -- in fact, ST:O is more of an outlier.

I'm sorry that you lost your guild, but this does fall on you to a degree. You left your guild succession in a path where you could not get it back; as unfortunate as it is, that's because of how you administrated the guild, not BioWare.

Guilds simply can not (and shouldn't!) function without an active guild leader. SWTOR (and BioWare) can't parse if you're gone because you quit the game or for a medical reason. So they have an automated system, if a leader's gone for too long, leadership passes elsewhere.

It is what it is.

you r hartles I had just put that guild together and hand no time to do a lot be for I went in the hospital but hey devend the ones with the money but I had an unexpeted hart attack and you say it is part my falt you know not a thing at all do you

This situation is why it's important to administer a guild properly if you intend for it to be successful.

People lie online all the time; there's no way for anyone to know if you were actually in the hospital or you just left for over a month and then came back and wanted to be in charge again. I'm sorry you lost your guild but at least you've learned a valuable lesson here: if you want a guild to succeed make sure you have safeguards in place to prevent this.

The only thing you can do now is to message the current guild leader and politely ask for them to transfer leadership back to you.

No one here made the rules. They're just conveying them to you. No one here can do anything for you and you don't need to snap at them.

EDIT: I take that back--people ARE helping you by telling you the rules you didn't look up on your own, and how to avoid this happening again to you in the future, as well as offering the advice on how you could conceivably get yours back, since Bioware will not step in manually to do anything for you.

Edited by aerockyul

This is a scenario where it's helpful to think about what the goal from the studio's perspective is.

To start, a guild is not viewed by BW as belonging to any one person. This is why 4 different accounts are required to form a guild. The guild belongs to all the members, and leadership of the guild is determined by those players. Secondly, members are not kicked out of a guild when they go inactive. All that happens is that the guild master changes. Now it is true that ehe new leader can decide to boot you. But if that new leader is a friend, he/she would say "happy you're back and healthy, here's the guild leadership back again." Problem solved. If your guild members are not friendly, then you are really just rolling the dice that nothing like this ever happens. This latter scenario is beyond the control of any studio.

It's wonderful that you're out of the hospital, and I hope you're doing well. But there is a good reason it's this way. There are certain powers that only the guild master has. For example, only the guild master can boot people. There are many other roles too. If someone is gone for a long time (e.g. >30 days) then the other members of the guild (highest ranking sub who's logged in recently, then preferred, then F2P) takes over.

Now let's imagine a different scenario. Say you didn't ever come back to the game (for whatever reason). All the other members would now be stuck in limbo with a guild with no master -- and obviously bad outcome. So there has to be a mechanism to automatically transfer leadership in these situations...

I wasn't defending anything. I was telling you how it works and what a guild leader has to do to retain control of the results of the automatic leadership transfer process.

But since you insist, I will defend it. Not the specifics of the SWTOR system, but the availability of *a* guild leadership transfer process, and why it's probably better that it is an automatic process. Read on, or not, as you see fit.

Some sort of leadership transfer process is an essential feature of any MMORPG guild system. If it's not automatic, then it has to be "by appeal to customer service", which gets the game's staff involved in stuff they should not be involved in. What happens if the manual-process people get two contradictory requests from different guild members? Resolving that will cause more issues, and there is no way for them to resolve it correctly because there is *no* "correctly".

Yes, it's not ideal, but think of it from the point of view of the other people in your guild. As far as they could tell, maybe you just quit the game without a word (I've done that in the past in other MMORPGs, although I wasn't a guild leader), and if that had been the case, how are they supposed to manage the guild?

Now let's imagine a different scenario. Say you didn't ever come back to the game (for whatever reason). All the other members would now be stuck in limbo with a guild with no master -- and obviously bad outcome. So there has to be a mechanism to automatically transfer leadership in these situations...

In an absolute sense, there's no necessity that it be *automatic*, but there are reasons why it's better for it to be automated. (See above)

An automated system with well-documented (clear and complete) procedures that work as advertised is infinitely better.

Did you talk to the new guild leader? Did you ask them Nicely? Or did you demand your guild back.

I inherited a guild a few years ago. 6 months later the old guild leader logged in PMed me and DEMANDED their guild back. I polity tolled them no. Had they been a little nicer about it and explained why I might have considered it.

I don't know if you were nice or demanding, I am not judging you. But your attitude in this forum to people that are trying to help you, may be saying a lot about why you did not get your guild back....

“Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose.”

– Yoda

you r hartles I had just put that guild together and hand no time to do a lot be for I went in the hospital but hey devend the ones with the money but I had an unexpeted hart attack and you say it is part my falt you know not a thing at all do you

Don't mean to sound particularly rude, but if you just put the guild together, and didn't even have time to structure it properly --

Just make another guild.

I could say I don't mean to be rude, but well I don't care if i am. People here have actually been nice to you, and explaining why it happened, and how you could stop it from happening again. All you've done is attack them, and insulted them. The system is grand as it is, it just happened that your situation was not the 'normal' GM dissapearance. If you messaged the new GM with the same attitude you've shown here, I'm not surprised he wouldn't give it back.

Also, if you could not have logged in while in hospital, you should have gotten a family member or someone you trust to log in to the char once every 3 weeks or so, and it would have saved the guild.

you don't know any thin g do you the so called new GM is not evan on the has not been for I don't now how long now so don't evan go there smart *****

Then your solution is easy.... if the guild leader does not log in for "4 WEEKS" = "28 DAYS" the guild will go to the next highest rank or the next subscriber to log on after that time has expired.

Simply watch your guild and in 28 days and 1 minuet (server time not local time) log in and like magic you will once again be the Guild Leader.

WARNING......

Make sure you are the FIST to log in or the guild will go to somebody else. Make sure you know the SERVER TIME when the 28 days is up NOT YOUR LOCAL TIME.

There an easy way to regain your Guild Leadership.... Let see if you accept this as what it was meant to be, help or complain some more...

“Always pass on what you have learned.”

– Yoda

Someone deleted my message, and two others who wrote fter me?/? *** is up with that?

Yeah all of my previous comments are missing. I'm guessing that a mod removed one comment and then all of the ones in relation to it. If my memory serves, there was a comment from the OP that insulted all of the people who had thus far replied which is now gone and my response to that is also gone.

I rather wish the mods wouldn't just remove posts without comment. One little post saying, "I've deleted this post and all of the replies to it." would help clear up confusion.

So the OP went with insults.....

Oh well then, the only thing I can say is...

I hope the New Guild Leader enjoys their Guild....

“May the Force be with you.”

– Yoda

Edited by denavin