100 Million Dollar game and the UI overlaps...

RoughCut

So am I the only one wondering how this stuff got through BETA testing?

I'm in PvP on Voidstar, and the map overlaps the right hotbar. And on the left the OPS groups overlap the left one... I have absolutely no idea how this stuff made it to live...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree completely. This is not the only situation in which you get UI overlap. For a game with this budget, and this long of a dev cycle, UI overlap should not be occuring-- especially since they don't offer the option to move around and customize it! I can't tell you the number of times I have tried to click on an ability on my side actions bars only to have it do nothing because I *actually* clicked in the window that is overlapping it.

I'm in PvP on Voidstar, and the map overlaps the right hotbar. And on the left the OPS groups overlap the left one... I have absolutely no idea how this stuff made it to live...

Link to the budget numbers you are quoting?

BTW increase your screen resolution.

Because when EA forced Bioware to stop twiddling their thumbs and release the game already many systems were still in a very incomplete state (UI/Companions/Crafting/etc.).

In order to make the deadline they had a few months to make 'release candidate' version of all the systems. It's the same reason you can't scale, move, resize, or otherwise change any UI element except raid frames (and I'm pretty sure those are an artifact from the previous UI).

Because when EA forced Bioware to stop twiddling their thumbs and release the game already many systems were still in a very incomplete state (UI/Companions/Crafting/etc.).

In order to make the deadline they had a few months to make 'release candidate' version of all the systems. It's the same reason you can't scale, move, resize, or otherwise change any UI element except raid frames (and I'm pretty sure those are an artifact from the previous UI).

This is the new fanboys argument since I see it all the time. Can you please post the source? Or is it one more urban legend (like the "it's only a week/two week/three week game give it time")

Like someone else said, if the whole 150 million was focused on the engine instead of 100% voice acting this game might have been mind blowing. They could have just did something like Champions Online which has voice acting. Just not on every single quest.

Like someone else said, if the whole 150 million was focused on the engine instead of 100% voice acting this game might have been mind blowing. They could have just did something like Champions Online which has voice acting. Just not on every single quest.

In my opinion they should have only had voice acting for class quests and Flashpoints, maybe the open world heroic quests too, seems like that would have saved a ton of money. I started spacebar skipping the voice chat on regular quest on my first alt.

This is the new fanboys argument since I see it all the time. Can you please post the source? Or is it one more urban legend (like the "it's only a week/two week/three week game give it time")

Bioware actively admitted and acknowledged how and when the UI and Companions underwent 'major' changes. It is well documented in their dev blogs and official statements. These systems were entirely redone a few months ago in late beta.

I believe that many other systems were in very raw stages prior to that, and almost every system in the game was intended to be deeper. Maybe an early beta tester can shed more light, though as they are friends/family of BW I doubt they would.

In short, no, it's not a myth.

Bioware actively admitted and acknowledged how and when the UI and Companions underwent 'major' changes. It is well documented in their dev blogs and official statements. These systems were entirely redone a few months ago in late beta.

I believe that many other systems were in very raw stages prior to that, and almost every system in the game was intended to be deeper. Maybe an early beta tester can shed more light, though as they are friends/family of BW I doubt they would.

In short, no, it's not a myth.

When I first got into beta early summer, I remember hearing from other testers how many changes the ui went through. Frankly, I'm actually relieved that the ui is in the shape that it is considering the crunch that BW had to go through to release the game from that state when I first joined. That was mere 6 month span.

colored text lol

Aric Jorgan used to wield a sniper rifle. If you listen to his dialog he even says "I lead a sniper team." He used a sniper rifle until about 4 months before launch. Then he magically appeared with an Assault Cannon and heavy armor and all new abilities after a patch one day, seemingly at random. So yeah, there's been significant changes, very quickly.

i woulda settled for an mmo jedi academy.

while i admit to having alot of fun playing it, i also admit that the bugs are pretty absurd.

the lack of UI options blew my mind. not even having a terrain distance setting is kind of ridic too. all in all i believe they'll work this out but if the hero engine is the source of all this crap like ability delay and terrible tab targetting i kinda wonder if they'll be able to fix anything at all anytime soon.

The thing about the UI that really blows my mind is that they have an actual UI team. We constantly complained about the UI during beta. And devs (I remember GZ specifically as one of them) made comments indicating that they have a UI team that is working on it.

I, too, remember the Friday update that someone mentioned on the first page. They had a freaking video raving about how great they were for listening to the testers and the UI team created this great UI in response to tester feedback. (Also, I could swear that the video made mention of the UI being movable; I don't consider raid frames and chat box to qualify the UI as movable.)

So, the UI we have was made by a dedicated UI team. . . and they were, at least at one point, proud of it. :eek:

Edited by Vodalus

How dare you! Bioware devs are professionals! The overlapping is awesome.

You know what really ticks me off though, is not the terrible UI, it's the fact that Bioware grin-f*cked us. "Oh wow our UI is so great!" "Let us dedicate a Friday update to how great our UI is".....all the while planning to release this steaming pile of *****. That, and the fact that I have yet to see a dev post-launch even address how terrible the UI is or say that it is being worked on, tick me off much more then the terribad joke of a user interface.

If it was rushed, then fine, it was rushed. Excuse accepted. Now there's been an extra month to work on a UI that was sidelined during the rush to release, but:

a) Has an impact on every single player

b) Is embarassingly clunky and inconvenient for a premium MMO

c) Takes a minimal amount of work to fix (when compared to, say, great swathes of new endgame content)

Take the GTN window for example:

Go to the GTN to buy some Zal...

Click on category dropdown...

Choose crafting material from the dropdown menu...

Click on subcategory....

Choose scavenging from the dropdown menu...

Click 'search button' (being careful not to hit the 'refresh' button a pixel away)

Click in text box

Enter 'Zal' in search text box

Hit little button next to search box

Mouseover every price to see the unit price

"I think I've outdone myself Master" says your droid

GTN autocloses, reward box comes up with mission result, and you have to go through the whole stupid process again!

Can't have Cargo Hold, Inventory and Character sheets all open at once

Can't have item modification, character sheet and inventory all open at once

Can't have inventory, crew skills, and mission or crafting windows all open at once

In certain PVP WFs the pointless arena-specific clutter covers my right quickslot bar making the top few buttons unuseable

You've had plenty of time now since this 'rushed' release, so while you're dedicating significant coding resources to new raiding areas, new daily PVP mechanics, making emotes useable from mounts, etc. please give the intern an afternoon off to come up with an improved UI